would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?

No No No.  I really don't want to see Vick in New England, but I'd still be a Pats fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I would love the Pats even more if they sign Vick. It would show the Patriots will do whatever it takes to make this team win. If Mike Vick can take a Pit Bull down he definitely won't be afraid of the on coming pass rush.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?:
    If Vick was signed by the Pats I would not be a fan of the team until he left.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Just out of curiosity, were you still following the patriots when you found out Rodney did steroids?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan? : Just out of curiosity, were you still following the patriots when you found out Rodney did steroids?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

That's sort of my point. We are going to root for the Pats no matter what. It's entertainment and it's our team. On Sunday, we're watching football players....Not People.. Not rooting for the Pats would be like MSNBC saying bad things about Obama after he destroys health Care.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from axogirl49. Show axogirl49's posts

Definitely wouldn't be able to support the Patriots if they signed him. Like someone else pointed out, it is especially troubling due to the extreme cruelty shown when the dogs were killed. Electrocution, drowning, hanging? This type of torture with animals shows a serious pathological problem, one that isn't going to be cured ever, second chance my @$$! I love dogs, and happen to own a dog I adopted from a rescue group. I just can't imagine the Patriots stooping to this level, but if they do, I would not be able to root for them. I love how people say oh it's only dogs, who cares? Take a moment and think about how much dogs actually do in everyday life. Think of all the police dogs that gladly take a bullet for their handlers, or the bloodhounds used to try and track down a missing kid, or the search and rescue dogs who look for victims after disasters like 9/11, or the dogs who sniff out bombs and drugs, etc etc etc. Anyone who treats dogs in a cruel manner is beyond sick in my opinion, and there's no way I could support a team willing to look past that. I really hope the Patriots are better than this and that there is no truth to this ridiculous rumor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Who are those guys under those helmets, anyway? What do we know about them? They're mercenaries who bash into each other for our entertainment. When all is said and done, I'm with Jerry Seinfeld. I root for the laundry. Put a helmet on Osama bin Laden. If he can get to the quarterback, I'll root for him.
    Posted by prairiemike

Exactly. Players come and go. People never have problems rooting for guys who smack their wives around.

I will root for whoever represents my home city.

The only alternative is becoming a Saints fan at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

I would not be against the Pats signing Vick.  I feel that Vick has served his time.  I do not agree with what he did, but, who are we to judge.  I think we have all done things that we were not proud of.  Also, if we did sign Vick, I think Bill is looking at what we can get for him for the following year.  We will sign him for a year and all the noise will calm down after this year.  The teams who need a QB will come out and bid there case for Vick next year.  We may even get a 2nd round pick for him.  Maybe a first, who knows.  It is all about business.  In Bill We Trust!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

Once a Pats fan always a pats fan. The patriots in recent years has been a winning and well managed organization.  I trust their decision making and if MV is in their plans then so be it. I have no problems with Vick joining the Patriots. I think Vick makes the patriots a stronger team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I'll always be a Pats fan. Someone else here brought up the Rod Rust / Dick McPherson years. Signing Vick would be like that even if we won. I'd close my eyes, cover my ears and wait for the storm to blow over.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Remember that time Donte Stallworth killed an actual person and didnt even serve his full 30 days in jail and now you dont hear about it anymore.  If Vick gave a large sum of money to the families of the dogs that were killed then would you guys be ok with signing him.  I dont mean to poke fun at the situation it was a serious crime, I own two pittbulls who I love very much, but this guy did his time.  If he can help the team I say sign him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

If someone stopped rooting for the Pats because they get Vick, then I don't want that person as a fellow fan....they are a fairweather fan at best....GET OFF OF OUR WAGON!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

It would be exciting to see the trick plays that Belichick comes up with adding Vick to the offense.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I'm first a fan of the team and then an individual player. Having said that,  I believe a person deserves a second chance and the Pats are as good as any other team to provide that chance.  The Pats have an excellent track record with malcontent players.  Couple this with the fact Mike Vick cannot make another mistake I think it would be a good move.
    Posted by jaxpat

I completely agree with this statement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Doesn't it kind of make you sad that society in general is incapable of granting second chances to people?

What exactly does that mean about humanity?

I wouldn't be allowed in my own home if it weren't for second chances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A person does not stop being fan just because his team makes questionable decisions or playcalls. The Pats had Greg Mc Murtry and Tony Eason at QB against the 85 Bears. Neither of these players is arguably as talented as Vick or Brady or Moss and I still routed for them. The point that no one is making is what is Vick's specific role with this team. The Pats have some depth at WR and RB and Brady is still mucho Hombre. Let Vick go on the West Texas Wrestling circuit and he can be mucho libre for the Cowboys. A position recently vacated by Terrell Owens. He probably deserves worse than following to Romo to practice, but what can you do?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I would be dissapointed if they signed him to say the least, but would not stop being a fan. I just would not celebrate anything that SOB does on the field!!!!

Go Pats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebw343. Show ebw343's posts

With Big Papi,  Belicheater, and Ramirez, do we really need a dog strangler?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Sportsnation is ripe with self-righteousness and finger pointing.

People like ebw343 are a dime-a-dozen

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebw343. Show ebw343's posts

Sportsnation is ripe with self-righteousness and finger pointing. People like ebw343 are a dime-a-dozen
    Posted by Olsonic

Self-righteousness? So you're in favor of signing the dog strangler?  Hey, that would give us two Boston Stranglers!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from claplant. Show claplant's posts

I will continue to be a Pats fan.  Noone could ever change that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?:
    me and bub were talking about this on another thread.we were both hopeing that the signing of vick wouldnt happen for it would really test our fanhood.as much as i am upset for what he done.i dont think i could bail out on my team for so many years.it may be difficult to have to watch the guy,but its the pats that i am only intreasted in.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Well Moss I'm sure my answer will come as no surprise. The answer is an unequivocal yes. It will kill me but I'd have to turn my back. I would be the ultimate hypocrite if after all my rantings and disdain for Vick, I just kept lauding the Patriots franchise as I did in the past. I just could not do it as it would go against everything I believe in. It goes without saying that I pray the rumors flying around today are nothing more than that...rumors. Should they turn out to be true...the party is over in my eyes as far as continuing to support the Patriots.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Congratulations on being a true fan claplant.  Apparently those are rare around here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

ebw343,

Giving people second chances means giving them a chance to redeem their past. Second chances mean believing that there is something good left in Michael Vick that he can provide to this world, and I wouldn't deny someone an honest attempt at redemption. For Vick, redemption probably starts with trying to pick up the pieces of his RUINED football life and salvaging whatever he can. One of the things I admire about the New England Patriots, is their locker room has a set of values such as accountability, honesty and determination. These things are not just preached, they are practiced to the fullest. Giving Vick a second chance as a Patriot could be a good thing both as a football player and as a man.

I for one don't sit and home, roll onto message boards and make wide sweeping generalizations about other peoples entire life. Like your lame, one-dimensional analysis of Belichick as a "cheater". Not only do you show an encyclopedic ignorance of the history of filming in the national football league, but your simple sumation of Belichick's career as the most influential coach of our generation with a single word is the epitome of naiveté.

In favor of Vick? That is yet to be seen, but I for one believe if this young man is going to turn his life around, a chance to be a Patriot could be a step in the right direction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebw343. Show ebw343's posts

Good post.  But as a member of the ASPCA, I just can't see giving a guy who strangled dogs a second chance in the NFL.

BTW, from kffl:

NFL | Vick in Virginia, not Foxboro
    Comment (0) Tweet me!
    Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:59:40 -0700

Shalise Manza Young, of The Providence Journal, reports unrestricted free-agent QB Michael Vick (Falcons) is in Virginia and not in Foxboro meeting with the New England Patriots, which contradicts an earlier report.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Unlike many NFL felons, Vick did felony time.  At this point he's afraid to bite a hot dog for fear of parole violation.  Hard time tends to work wonders on rich people, because they fall so far and come back up so far when they get out, compared to the working stiffs.

Talent versus salary demands is another question.  Good on the field talent, experienced, but he's not going to get back to his NFL peak soon.  As for salary, if Vick wants to play for a winner and get a good rep, he's going to have to underprice himself.  (What a great argument!  All the superstars have to work for half-price for the Pats and for full price for the other 31 salary-capped teams.)

Vick would be a third and 1 QB, a 21 points ahead in the 4th quarter QB or a goal line QB.  He'd throw the ball about 25% of the time under Belichick.  As an opponent, I would hate to prepare for Tom Brady and Mike Vick in the same game.

Sections
Shortcuts