would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?

"Self-righteousness? So you're in favor of signing the dog strangler?  Hey, that would give us two Boston Stranglers!"

Actually three. I think Dick Radatz was called the Boston Strangler.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020usLeon. Show m1020usLeon's posts

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?:
    [QUOTE]me and bub were talking about this on another thread.we were both hopeing that the signing of vick wouldnt happen for it would really test our fanhood.as much as i am upset for what he done.i dont think i could bail out on my team for so many years.it may be difficult to have to watch the guy,but its the pats that i am only intreasted in.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE] well guys i think our fanhoods are about to be tested if this latest rumor holds any weight.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/rollout/2009/07/source-vick-currently-working-out-for-patriots.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

No No No.  I really don't want to see Vick in New England, but I'd still be a Pats fan.

I think that's probably the feeling of most true Patriots fans.

If Mike Vick can take a Pit Bull down he definitely won't be afraid of the on coming pass rush.

That is a sick way of looking at it, IMO!

Just out of curiosity, were you still following the patriots when you found out Rodney did steroids?

Rodney took HGH (NOT steroids) in the offseason to try and heal faster. There's a big difference between that and doing steroids for an advantage. I see the point you're trying to make, but please get your facts straight.

Not rooting for the Pats would be like MSNBC saying bad things about Obama after he destroys health Care.

This seems like a bad comparison to me. Even if MSNBC was a supporter of Obama, they are a news outlet, not a fanbase. If a president (or any elected official) does something they deem to be "wrong" I'd expect them to say so, not try to BS the public merely because they formerly had a good opinion of the man.

Definitely wouldn't be able to support the Patriots if they signed him. Like someone else pointed out, it is especially troubling due to the extreme cruelty shown when the dogs were killed. Electrocution, drowning, hanging? This type of torture with animals shows a serious pathological problem, one that isn't going to be cured ever, second chance my @$$!

I think I was the first one to bring up that Vick may have underlying psycological issues...and that nobody seemed to be concerned with that side of the story. I agree 100% in your opinion of this scumbag! But while I respect your opinion about not supporting the team, I don't know if I could let one rotten SOB cause me to forsake the team I've been a fan of for 40 years and start following another. As I've said earlier, I pray to God that I don't find myself in the position to have to make such a choice! But if it comes to that I respect you for your decision.

The only alternative is becoming a Saints fan at this point.

The NFL franchise in the Big Easy are not literally "saints" by any stretch! Don't they have two guys (as do the Vikings) who are currently fighting a four game suspension for banned substances?

Also, if we did sign Vick, I think Bill is looking at what we can get for him for the following year.  We will sign him for a year and all the noise will calm down after this year.  The teams who need a QB will come out and bid there case for Vick next year.  We may even get a 2nd round pick for him.  Maybe a first, who knows.  It is all about business.  In Bill We Trust!!!!!!!!!!

There's an angle I haven't seen suggested before, and one I never really considered. That's an interesting theory. I still don't want to see Vick here, though. I also have my doubts as to whether he could "prove" himself well enough to warrant any team wanting to "overpay" for him in a year. But who knows?

Once a Pats fan always a pats fan. The patriots in recent years has been a winning and well managed organization.  I trust their decision making and if MV is in their plans then so be it. I have no problems with Vick joining the Patriots. I think Vick makes the patriots a stronger team.

There's a good point. If the front office deemed Vick worth the trouble it may be harder to dispute their logic than we may think. At least 75% of my personal opinion is due to Vick's actions. But I do not think Vick really has a place on the team even from a football standpoint. I can't see them relying on trick plays such as the wildcat, nor do I see him as a viable backup with WRs such as we have. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that part!

Remember that time Donte Stallworth killed an actual person and didnt even serve his full 30 days in jail and now you dont hear about it anymore.  If Vick gave a large sum of money to the families of the dogs that were killed then would you guys be ok with signing him. 

It's not a matter of "not hearing about it anymore". We've had our discussions on Stallworth, and have moved on to other topics which are more (or in some cases less) relevant to our team. Suffice it to say that for me, I hope Donte serves a long NFL suspension, at least the entire season. If the Patriots were considering re-signing him that would be a subject for a new discussion. But (IMO) the big difference here is that Donte, though he did fu*k up, accidently killed that pedestrian. Michael Vick deliberately killed those dogs, and did it with some violent anti-social methods. That's like comparing a guy who shoots a fellow hunter out in the woods to a seial killer who tortures his victims then dismembers them. I think too many people lose sight of the actual methods and jump right to the final outcomes with these comparisons. As for giving the dogs' families money, two problems with that. First, Vick is broke and has no "hush money" to give. Second, I believe he also killed off the entire families of his victims! (sarcasm)

If someone stopped rooting for the Pats because they get Vick, then I don't want that person as a fellow fan....they are a fairweather fan at best....GET OFF OF OUR WAGON!

This is a misplacement of terms. Fairweather fans are those who are only fans when the team is winning, thus the other term of bandwagon. Most of us "regulars" here are in no way "bandwagon" fans, and have been fans since long before the Kraft era. I myself can remember freezing my b u t t off on those aluminum seats in Schaeffer Stadium to watch them lose by thirty points! If someone chooses to stop cheering for the team due to Vick joining that is their perrogative. I wouldn't call them "fairweather", rather that their personal morals are stronger than their love of the team. It is, after all, simply a game. No reason to insult someone over that.

I would be dissapointed if they signed him to say the least, but would not stop being a fan. I just would not celebrate anything that SOB does on the field!!!!

Exactly how I feel about it!

With Big Papi,  Belicheater, and Ramirez, do we really need a dog strangler?

This sounds like the ramblings of a troll to me!

Well Moss I'm sure my answer will come as no surprise. The answer is an unequivocal yes. It will kill me but I'd have to turn my back. I would be the ultimate hypocrite if after all my rantings and disdain for Vick, I just kept lauding the Patriots franchise as I did in the past. I just could not do it as it would go against everything I believe in. It goes without saying that I pray the rumors flying around today are nothing more than that...rumors. Should they turn out to be true...the party is over in my eyes as far as continuing to support the Patriots.

Well, Laurie, we would truly be sorry to see you go. I don't know if I could forsake my favorite team of 40 years over one idiot, but I truly understand and respect you if you do. I do think these rumors are a bunch of BS, though. However Bill feels about animal cruelty, I just can't see him wanting anything to do with the bad PR and distractions such a signing would surely bring. Especially over a marginal player who is certainly no brain surgeon (or as Joe Theissman would say, no "Norman Einstein"!), who would, IMO, have a hard time comprehending the playbook. This is certainly one of those choices one hopes never to be forced into making!

Giving people second chances means giving them a chance to redeem their past. Second chances mean believing that there is something good left in Michael Vick that he can provide to this world, and I wouldn't deny someone an honest attempt at redemption. For Vick, redemption probably starts with trying to pick up the pieces of his RUINED football life and salvaging whatever he can. One of the things I admire about the New England Patriots, is their locker room has a set of values such as accountability, honesty and determination. These things are not just preached, they are practiced to the fullest. Giving Vick a second chance as a Patriot could be a good thing both as a football player and as a man.

While you make some compelling points there on second chances, there is another side to it. Though you call it a "good thing", IMO it's only a good thing for Vick, not one for the team as a whole. Beside the fact that the offense is not necessarily in need of a player with his skillset, the distractions signing Vick would bring would be a decidedly bad thing for the team. Just my opinion, but there are plenty more people here who feel the same way, I imagine. Whatever they may personally feel about Vick's actions.

Good post.  But as a member of the ASPCA, I just can't see giving a guy who strangled dogs a second chance in the NFL.

Aren't you the one who was earlier using the "B" word (belicheat)? If you don't mind telling us, are you a Patriots fan, or just someone who likes "chatting"?

Vick would be a third and 1 QB, a 21 points ahead in the 4th quarter QB or a goal line QB.  He'd throw the ball about 25% of the time under Belichick.  As an opponent, I would hate to prepare for Tom Brady and Mike Vick in the same game.

I don't even see him being useful in these situations. Third and one they have Taylor or Morris to run it, or the old standby, Brady tossing it to Faulk out of the backfield. Being up by three TDs I'd hope they would give O'Connell the playing time to prepare him for the future. And on the goal line see my third and one scenario, or Brady tossing it to Moss or Welker (now that Vrable is gone). In any scenario I cannot see anyone getting 25% of the passing game...leaving only 3 of 4 for Brady! That is ridiculous, IMO! I also think opposing OCs have their hands full with planning for Brady, Moss, Welker, and all the RBs we now have. At best Vick would be used for "trick" plays, such as the wildcat, which I don't see them really utilizing much. I just don't see Vick worth a roster spot when there are only 53 of them to go around!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I can't believe they made me edit b-u-t-t!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan?:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe they made me edit b-u-t-t!!!!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Be thankful John David Bootty doesn't play for the Pats.

(misspelling required)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: would the signing of vick make you an anti pat fan? : Be thankful John David Bootty doesn't play for the Pats. (misspelling required)
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE] do you know what killa thinks of people who points out to him that he has misspelled something?ask him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]  He'd throw the ball about 25% of the time under Belichick. 

In any scenario I cannot see anyone getting 25% of the passing game...leaving only 3 of 4 for Brady! That is ridiculous...
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

I meant that Vick would have 75% running plays and screens, and 25% pocket passing plays, so that BB wouldn't leave Vick in blitz trouble.  Sorry for the confusion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The point was that the auto-censor on this board will not allow you to spell the name correctly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Realist1954. Show Realist1954's posts

I see no need for Vick but I'd still be a Pat's fan.