Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

I dont know.. if he pulled a carpet out every time he scored a TD to pray I think it would be delay of game. Which way is Mecca anyway?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?":
    I dont know.. if he pulled a carpet out every time he scored a TD to pray I think it would be delay of game. Which way is Mecca anyway? Posted by Philskiw1
    Hahahaaaa

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    I dont know.. if he pulled a carpet out every time he scored a TD to pray I think it would be delay of game. Which way is Mecca anyway?
    Posted by Philskiw1

And he's get penalized for a prop with his carpet. lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Of course not.  Christians aren't embracing him because he is religious, they are embracing him because he is Christian.  If he were Muslim he would have a loyal following of Muslim fans who would support the guy for being a champion for Muslims.  If he were Hindu he would have a loyal Hindu following.  He would become an icon in the Hindu community and suddenly people who didn't realize there were any sports outside of soccer and cricket would follow the NFL.  If he were gay he would have the gay community all behind him and cheering him on.  If he were Chinese he would have Chinese-Americans cheering him on.  He'd be a legend in China.

Isn't this human nature?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    Or Hindu or Buddhist? Somehow I think the pink hats who use Tebow's faith as the foundation of their adoration for him would be a lot less loving if he embraced a religion they consider "wrong."
    Posted by davetheknave

First of all what is Tebow doing wrong? He's kneeling and pointing to the sky. Freedom of expression. You don't like it don't watch after he scores-simple as that. Turn away if it bothers you, same for a Muslim.

I'd rather see Tebow kneel than someone  doing some stoopid jig like a hula dancer in the endzone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : First of all what is Tebow doing wrong? He's kneeling and pointing to the sky. Freedom of expression. You don't like it don't watch after he scores-simple as that. Turn away if it bothers you, same for a Muslim. I'd rather see Tebow kneel than someone  doing some stoopid jig like a hula dancer in the endzone.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

The fact that he's not breaking a law doesn't mean we can't disagree with what he's doing. 

What if all of the Broncos bench started kneeling to pray after each TD. Would that be called a penalty for group celebration? Or are they also just using freedom of expression?

The fact is that you can justify this kind of overt religiosity in public only because he's a one-off etc. Everyone says "what's the big deal" or "so what if he does, who cares?". And then you have two guys doing it, and then three. And then you raise an eyebrow. And by the time they are all at it, you can't stop it even if you wanted. 

Religious fundamentalism (which is what this is..... he may not be a jihadist, but he's a fundamentalist) is a danger, and overt religosity a greater danger. 

What I want is one major sports figure who is atheist to score a touchdown and everytime start yelling "I'M AN ATHEIST". Next thing it would be a huge scandal that someone is parading their secularism on live television, and what a horrible example this sets for our kids. 

The double standards make me want to throw up.

Don't tell me "it's no big deal". It IS a big deal, and people are right to criticize him. Tebow is no better than a televangelist. He knows the business he's in and the audience he has. He gets TV time and he needs to us it to full effect. He could just as easily pray to god while standing still ... but NOOOOOOO it has to be this dramatic kneel position with head bowed down, so the whole world knows that AT THIS MOMENT Tebow is praying, and ofcourse so the cameras can turn and zoom at him. Give me a break. It's called grandstanding, and the gullible will gulp it down same as they do with others. 

What next for Tebow? Probably a book deal or two, ofcourse endorsements for all kinds of Christian products, who knows a movie???. 

I feel I have a right to criticize Tebow for the good of this society. The fact that he's not breaking a law (freedom of expression you say) doesn't make my protest any less legitimate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : The fact that he's not breaking a law doesn't mean we can't disagree with what he's doing.  What if all of the Broncos bench started kneeling to pray after each TD. Would that be called a penalty for group celebration? Or are they also just using freedom of expression? The fact is that you can justify this kind of overt religiosity in public only because he's a one-off etc. Everyone says "what's the big deal" or "so what if he does, who cares?". And then you have two guys doing it, and then three. And then you raise an eyebrow. And by the time they are all at it, you can't stop it even if you wanted.  Religious fundamentalism (which is what this is..... he may not be a jihadist, but he's a fundamentalist) is a danger, and overt religosity a greater danger.  What I want is one major sports figure who is atheist to score a touchdown and everytime start yelling "I'M AN ATHEIST". Next thing it would be a huge scandal that someone is parading their secularism on live television, and what a horrible example this sets for our kids.  The double standards make me want to throw up. Don't tell me "it's no big deal". It IS a big deal, and people are right to criticize him. Tebow is no better than a televangelist. He knows the business he's in and the audience he has. He gets TV time and he needs to us it to full effect. He could just as easily pray to god while standing still ... but NOOOOOOO it has to be this dramatic kneel position with head bowed down, so the whole world knows that AT THIS MOMENT Tebow is praying, and ofcourse so the cameras can turn and zoom at him. Give me a break. It's called grandstanding, and the gullible will gulp it down same as they do with others.  What next for Tebow? Probably a book deal or two, ofcourse endorsements for all kinds of Christian products, who knows a movie???.  I feel I have a right to criticize Tebow for the good of this society. The fact that he's not breaking a law (freedom of expression you say) doesn't make my protest any less legitimate.
    Posted by murghkhor

yes, I believe in your right to dissent, criticize or whatever. whoopie

I'm not a very religious person, but I am offended more today about the leftists/liberals in this country trying to shove Christians and Jews in the closet, but let let illegals, gays and Muslims get away with anything they want to.

I like Tebow because he is a very humble, selfless, and moral individual.

I'll root for him to succeed whenever he's not playing the Patriots.

I have no problem if he expresses his appreciation to his savior.

I wish more young people would find the same decency and humility towards others that Tebow shows.

Atheists need to remember in the USA we have the right of free expression, and freedom of religion, not freedon from religion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    Or Hindu or Buddhist? Somehow I think the pink hats who use Tebow's faith as the foundation of their adoration for him would be a lot less loving if he embraced a religion they consider "wrong."
    Posted by davetheknave

the question is why do you hate him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

I'm am 100% sure that if Tebow started every press conference with Allah Akbar the flood gates would open! Please this whole debate that it's freedom of speech/religion is just not the truth. We all know that is the truth!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The issue is as I stated before is that the media jumped all over this because he is an evangilist IMHO. There are many other players who have done the currently called "Tebow" after a TD. Why weren't they the cause of the day by the media? They were not evangilists and they were not a QB that many said suked. The more he proved them wrong the more some fans liked the guy and the media kept up their adoration or dislike for him.
    Its like on ESPN first and ten Steven A Smith hates him and Skip Bayliss loves him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

BTW to the OP of this thread you do realize there are far more Great and Good Muslims in the world than the idiots of the Muslim faith.
    Oh yeah and all religions and non relion people have their radicals which are in the minority.

Lastly your headline shows you may have a bit of an issue with acceptance of others????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

All i know is karma is a b!tch and one day I hope he will have to hear someone else jam their personal ideals down his throat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?":
    In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : And he's get penalized for a prop with his carpet. lol Posted by kansaspatriot
    This topic used to be funny...for firrst 4 posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

Posted by davetheknave

Dave, 
    I give you Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, better known as Chris Jackson. Another southern boy and LSU basketball star. His career led him to be selected by the Denver Nuggets with the third pick in the 1990 NBA draft, where he enjoyed a relatively successful career - that is until he converted to Islam. That's when things took a turn for the worse:

The KBPI publicity stunt.
    Someone burning his house to the ground in Mississippi and the arsonist still hasn't been found.
    The vitriolic response to his religious display(s).

Freedom of speech and I embrace that wholeheartedly, but the fascination with which ESPN/the NFL network is reporting on Tim Tebow is annoying. Is it any wonder sports fans and now an ever increasing amount of athletes of all hues are now voicing their displeasure. Can't wait for Saturday where we (Patriots) can vent our frustration and kick his a s s all over the field and on Sunday go to church and say a prayer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

All i know is karma is a b!tch and one day I hope he will have to hear someone else jam their personal ideals down his throat. Posted by freediro
    I am sure he has been exposed to the many left wing fanatics that want to shove their ideals down the throats of religious conservatives, whether it be global warming, social policies or other ideas which they feel are not open to public debate. Just on this thread we have had someone call exercise of religious freedom "dangerous". Dangerous things typically need to be controlled or stopped as they ,by definition, represent a threat.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The issue is as I stated before is that the media jumped all over this because he is an evangilist IMHO. There are many other players who have done the currently called "Tebow" after a TD. Why weren't they the cause of the day by the media? They were not evangilists and they were not a QB that many said suked. The more he proved them wrong the more some fans liked the guy and the media kept up their adoration or dislike for him. Its like on ESPN first and ten Steven A Smith hates him and Skip Bayliss loves him.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

It's weird that the media has jumped on this, normally they hate anything tied to evangels or Christians.

And I think what they really like is alot of people discredited his ability to play QB, he took over a 1-4 team, turned itnto a winner, people go for the underdog, and like to see them succeed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : It's weird that the media has jumped on this, normally they hate anything tied to evangels or Christians. And I think what they really like is alot of people discredited his ability to play QB, he took over a 1-4 team, turned itnto a winner, people go for the underdog, and like to see them succeed.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

yup...

the way i see it, people like him because
    1) he's someone who is challenging people's convention of what it takes to be a winner in the NFL and/or...
    2) he has shown conviction for what he believes is a good meesage for people to see

people who hate him hate him because
    1) they don't like religion and/or...
    2) he does not fit their template for what an nfl winner looks like

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

They would if they too were Muslim. 

Just to throw gas on the fire, what if Tebow was African American, would we see this adoration. I suspect not. There have been plenty of African Americans espousing their love for Jesus and praying on the field. 

No, Tebow is the ultimate white underdog, similar to white men can't jump. But he knows the game, believes in himself, and knows how to play the camera. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

At the end of every game not just the Broncos a group of players gather in a circle on the field and say a prayer. It always happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Of course not.  Christians aren't embracing him because he is religious, they are embracing him because he is Christian.  If he were Muslim he would have a loyal following of Muslim fans who would support the guy for being a champion for Muslims.  If he were Hindu he would have a loyal Hindu following.  He would become an icon in the Hindu community and suddenly people who didn't realize there were any sports outside of soccer and cricket would follow the NFL.  If he were gay he would have the gay community all behind him and cheering him on.  If he were Chinese he would have Chinese-Americans cheering him on.  He'd be a legend in China. Isn't this human nature?
    Posted by carawaydj

Oh, so he has a huge following of bad Quarterbacks??????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : Oh, so he has a huge following of bad Quarterbacks?????? Posted by Davedsone
    LOL Ryan Leaf is the president of his fan club.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Posted by Philskiw1

South-east and down, since it is nearly on the other side of the world in Saudi Arabia.

Yes, that would be delay of game, for certain.

Sections
Shortcuts