Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]Of course not.  Christians aren't embracing him because he is religious, they are embracing him because he is Christian.  If he were Muslim he would have a loyal following of Muslim fans who would support the guy for being a champion for Muslims.  If he were Hindu he would have a loyal Hindu following.  He would become an icon in the Hindu community and suddenly people who didn't realize there were any sports outside of soccer and cricket would follow the NFL.  If he were gay he would have the gay community all behind him and cheering him on.  If he were Chinese he would have Chinese-Americans cheering him on.  He'd be a legend in China. Isn't this human nature?
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Well, that hasn't happened yet.  Maybe they need more than rumors to get behind him.

OK, that was a horrible pun and if there is a heaven, I guess I am being sent to the opposite place.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

i would still love tt for i'm not into the whole christian or faith thing. but for your gung ho social conservatives types YES it would be an issue. have u seen any muslim get near any of these candidates. daily show had a msulim who wanted to join the party in some southern state but got rejected and was banned from ever running.. great inclusion?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I wouldn't create hypothetical situations in order to get all worked up over the hypothetical hypocrisy that results from your hypothetical situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

I think the topic(heading) can be extened to all forms of religion. If people started thanking whatever god or religion they believed in every first line during an interview people would take exception. Or if they did some other form of religious celebration after a touchdown or win, people would take exception. Religion is a personal belief and that is where it should remain. I have nothing against Tebow. He is a fine individual who believes strongly in his faith. I just don't need to have his beliefs force fed to me after every game or during a game. I don't think it belongs or should be the headlines during a sporting event. Its sports, not church.

I am sure many may think it harsh. Trust me, I am not trying to be. I grew up Catholic and went to church every Sunday, but I did not make it a point to preach about it during athletic events. GO PATS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If Tebow were a Muslim he wouldn't have played in the hick state of Florida to begin with. He'd be accused of trying to force sharia law down out throats and he'd get death threats, but Tebow prays to the same god in a Christian and familiar way so he's the champion of America. Republicans would jump off bridges if their children started reciting the call to prayer. I know this is true because a right-wing group told Loews to drop their ad space for a TV show named 'All-American Muslim' because it didn't portray Muslims in a negative light and it didn't show radical muslims so they thought that the TV show was all part of the Muslim agenda to trick Americans into seeing that not all Muslims were terrorists to lower our guards. 

I believe someone said it best, it's like the Great white hope of basketball. We live in Boston, we know what it's like to see an underdog white guy prove the doubters wrong. Bostonians love that, just look at Bird, Scalabrine, Woodhead, Welker, Edelman. All underdogs, all loved, all found a nice niche in Boston. Scalabrine robbed the Celtics blind too. There have been plenty of black QBs who play like Tebow, hell, they passed better than Tebow as well and they never got a shot. 

I'll always go to Vince Young when it comes to Tebow. Vince is a much better passer, much better runner. Vince Young is 31-19 as a starter to Tebow's 8-6 record. Where's the love for Vince? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

I wonder how much the posters on here complaining about rednecks and the US persecution of Muslims know anything at all about Christians being persecuted in Pakistan, Lebanon and Egypt by both governments and private individuals (in egypt just the recent government, obviously). I think they would love to swap places and get treated like muslims do in the US. Of course, nothing like a circle jerk with little evidence and lots of hyperbole against conservative rednecks is enjoyed as much by the the self proclaimed openminded and progressive folk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]If Tebow were a Muslim he wouldn't have played in the hick state of Florida to begin with. He'd be accused of trying to force sharia law down out throats and he'd get death threats, but Tebow prays to the same god in a Christian and familiar way so he's the champion of America. Republicans would jump off bridges if their children started reciting the call to prayer. I know this is true because a right-wing group told Loews to drop their ad space for a TV show named 'All-American Muslim' because it didn't portray Muslims in a negative light and it didn't show radical muslims so they thought that the TV show was all part of the Muslim agenda to trick Americans into seeing that not all Muslims were terrorists to lower our guards.  I believe someone said it best, it's like the Great white hope of basketball. We live in Boston, we know what it's like to see an underdog white guy prove the doubters wrong. Bostonians love that, just look at Bird, Scalabrine, Woodhead, Welker, Edelman. All underdogs, all loved, all found a nice niche in Boston. Scalabrine robbed the Celtics blind too. There have been plenty of black QBs who play like Tebow, hell, they passed better than Tebow as well and they never got a shot.  I'll always go to Vince Young when it comes to Tebow. Vince is a much better passer, much better runner. Vince Young is 31-19 as a starter to Tebow's 8-6 record. Where's the love for Vince? 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I must have missed the last 2 two time national champion Heisman trophy winning QB who was better than Tebow but didn't get a shot because he was black. 

Where's the playoff wins for Vince?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The fact is that Tebow gets made fun of throughout America for demonstrating his belief in God (something I do not share).  The correct question is:

If Tebow were a Muslim would the media and fans tease him and (as they do now) laugh at him? Or would that be considered racist?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]Or Hindu or Buddhist? Somehow I think the pink hats who use Tebow's faith as the foundation of their adoration for him would be a lot less loving if he embraced a religion they consider "wrong."
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]
      Wow, you are a smart! Do republicans like Obama? Your point is?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from h11. Show h11's posts

Religion is the world's oldest profession

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If Tebow were a Muslim would the media and fans tease him and (as they do now) laugh at him? Or would that be considered racist?  

Thats probably more realistic. Ever been to Dearborn MI? Theres more Muslim people there then anywhere in the US.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : I must have missed the last 2 two time national champion Heisman trophy winning QB who was better than Tebow but didn't get a shot because he was black.  Where's the playoff wins for Vince?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Tebow won one as a back-up and another as a starter, let's make that clear. But let's look at all the other Heisman winning QBs who never got a shot. Keep this in mind, Tim Tebow's completion percentage is 47% 

Troy Smith, not a very good QB, but he did have a completion pct of 50% and he did run faster than Tim. 

Jason White never got a shot, he's a much better passer than Tebow. 

Eric Crouch was a much better QB prospect than Tebow, where's his shot? They told him he had to be a WR. I bet if Crouch got on his knees and prayed to God every 5 seconds he'd get a chance. 

Tebow sucks, but you Tebow-fanatic who love him because of his religion want to make him the beacon of Christendom because you think Tebow is discriminated on because of his religion by the media. Turn on a TV, Tebow's face is everywhere, that's why I hate him. The media doesn't hate him because he's Christian, neither do most people. HE'S JUST A TERRIBLE QB WHO GOT A SHOT AT QBing BECAUSE OF WHAT HE DID IN COLLEGE AND BECAUSE HE'S A POPULAR GUY. He's popular because he's an attractive white Christian who wears his religion on his sleeve. He didn't earn anything and his style of 47% completion percentage is terrible. Even Ryan Leaf completed more passes than this bum! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Kitna always prayed. Reggie White always prayed. Theres a whole list of "prayers"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : Dave,  I give you Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, better known as Chris Jackson. Another southern boy and LSU basketball star. His career led him to be selected by the Denver Nuggets with the third pick in the 1990 NBA draft, where he enjoyed a relatively successful career - that is until he converted to Islam. That's when things took a turn for the worse: The KBPI publicity stunt. Someone burning his house to the ground in Mississippi and the arsonist still hasn't been found. The vitriolic response to his religious display(s). Freedom of speech and I embrace that wholeheartedly, but the fascination with which ESPN/the NFL network is reporting on Tim Tebow is annoying. Is it any wonder sports fans and now an ever increasing amount of athletes of all hues are now voicing their displeasure. Can't wait for Saturday where we (Patriots) can vent our frustration and kick his a s s all over the field and on Sunday go to church and say a prayer.
    Posted by paob[/QUOTE]

Paob, I sort of understand your point about Chris Jackson.  But the reaction to him was because he renounced the USA and its flag despite owing everything he has in life to this country.  He was a success story and admired by many, a great athlete who thrived despite having Tourettes. It wasn't his conversion to Islam that put people off, it was the fact that he called the country he was born in a tyrant, or something to that effect.  

There are plenty of Muslims in professional sports that people don't even know about because they live their lives like the rest of us.  They don't make outlandish statements or force their religion on anyone, they just live and exist and play a sport for a living.   If Tebow was a Muslim, he'd be just like every other Muslim in professional sports, a normal person with his own religious beliefs.  If he went the path of Chris Jackson as a Muslim, he would be despised. 

Since he's a Christian who happens to have had some success, is considered good looking (by some), humble, charismatic, who won a national championship and a Heisman, and who has a knack for not folding under pressure, he is propped up by Christians everywhere.  He represents what a great deal of this country believes, and his success on the football field and his constant piety makes him appealing to the masses.   

I personally hope he and his team get embarrassed Saturday so we can stop hearing about him.     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]The fact is that Tebow gets made fun of throughout America for demonstrating his belief in God (something I do not share).  The correct question is: If Tebow were a Muslim would the media and fans tease him and (as they do now) laugh at him? Or would that be considered racist?  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I doubt it would be considered racist, Muslim isn't a race. =) 

Also, it's called laughing at yourself. 80% of the American population is Christian, no one is against Christians. Even if they were, they would be outnumbered 4-1. Please stop trying to advocate that Christians are discriminated against. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Religion is the world's oldest profession
    Posted by h11[/QUOTE]

lol nice. I wonder how many got the reference

But to the point of the thread, is the sky blue? Is water wet? Of course the Tebow fans wouldn't like him as much if he wasn't Christian. Fact is a vast majority of America is some form of Christianity so it raised him to celebrity status just for that. Because he's a celebrity he became the new flavor of the month as a pop celebrates. Tebowing is the new icing (which I hated both). Over the off-season college kids will find Tebowing idiotic and move on to something new but this is the new hot fad for right now.

You know what I'm not offended by Tebow praying after a TD or saying "God bless" after a press conference. Seriously if you think he pushing his religion on you because he does that you really need to grow up and realize they are meaningless gestures to you but meaningful to him. Let him do it and just ignore it like a normal person would do. It's not like in a 5min interview he doesn't mention the game and only spouts bible verses or that he's telling you how to live your life.

What I think most people find annoying, myself included, isn't Tebow but the Tebow maniacs who are putting him on a pedestal and forcing his religion on you in his name. It's the fanatics I can't stand and the non-stop media coverage that really annoys me, not the praying after a TD or "God bless" after a news conference (BTW BJGE holds a prayer service before and after games and says "God bless" after interviews too but you never hear about it either). Similar to other flavors of the month, the media will die down and you'll still have fanatics but you won't have to hear about him every 2 secs as the next big story comes along (Luck?). Tebow will still be praying after every TD and saying "God bless" after every interview but it won't be talked about nearly as much and I doubt anyone will even care that he's doing it at that point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Can't left leaning folks be Christians too?  You have to be careful of labels like Left=Aetheist/Gay/Poor/etc.  It's fairly ignorant.  

Back to the OP question...I personally think there wouldn't be as much fervor.  If he was muslim, I'd say there would probably be a lot more ignorant comments coming out of the woodwork than there are now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think you know what I meant .... it is okay to make fun of Catholics or Christians... make fun of Muslims an either you get accused of being "racist" or you get death threats.

I really am not a "believer" but I find it odd its okay to make fun of Tebow over his religion but "God forbid" you make fun of a Muslim.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder how much the posters on here complaining about rednecks and the US persecution of Muslims know anything at all about Christians being persecuted in Pakistan, Lebanon and Egypt by both governments and private individuals (in egypt just the recent government, obviously). I think they would love to swap places and get treated like muslims do in the US. Of course, nothing like a circle jerk with little evidence and lots of hyperbole against conservative rednecks is enjoyed as much by the the self proclaimed openminded and progressive folk.
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

An eye for an eye leaves the world blind, champ. We're the United States of America, we're supposed to treat people in the most amicable of ways. Most of the nations that would prosecute a Christian for solely being a Christian are filled with religious zealots. That is why the founding fathers said Church and states should never mix, this is also why the U.S. doesn't have a national religion. We're supposed to be accepting to all religion and not favor one religion over the other. 

We're a better people than them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I should have added "Go Pats" as Brady needs one more Super Bowl Ring to be deemed Greatest of All-Time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]Or Hindu or Buddhist? Somehow I think the pink hats who use Tebow's faith as the foundation of their adoration for him would be a lot less loving if he embraced a religion they consider "wrong."

all the muslims would

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Allot of evengelicals wouldn't like Tebow if he was a real Christian and not one of those money grubbing rasisct freaks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

[QUOTE]The fact is that Tebow gets made fun of throughout America for demonstrating his belief in God (something I do not share).  The correct question is: If Tebow were a Muslim would the media and fans tease him and (as they do now) laugh at him? Or would that be considered racist?  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

If Tebow where a Muslim he would get all the media attention that maked people resnet him.... If Tebow was a good QB he wouldn't get nearly as much hate either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

to answer the original question....heck no! Folks love Tebow becasue he is a Christian, a belief that this country was founded on. Folks are tired of having other religions pushed down their throat, particularily by people that hate and want to kill Americans. I like Tebow, and glad he is doing well, but Tebow Time ends Saturday!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

brilliant observation.  Is that all?

Sections
Shortcuts