Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?

In response to "Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?": [QUOTE]Actually, they wrote extensively about their collective mistrust of religion in their personal letters, their newspaper op-eds and so forth.  I have heard the curator of the Madsion letters say on the radio, in responose to Christians claiming he was a Christian and wanted Christian beliefs integrated into our laws, "I have found no evidence whatsoever that James Madison was religious."  She would know better than anybody alive. I and nobody else is saying we want to pass a law forbidding Tebow from making his prayers on TV and boosting his faith at every presser.  We are denouncing his public religious pronouncements ad nauseum, his promotional methods (Bible verse citation on his eye black) and his elevated celebrity because of his beliefs despite his limited talent.  We are annoyed that he never gives it a rest.  That is not persecution.  We have the right to resist his hype as much as he has a right to play off his hype. Here are some helpful quotes by Madison.  Remember, politicians will play it safe and pretend to be religious in order to cast a wider net over the voters.  Madison, Lincoln, others were such politicians.  But if these are not the words of an atheist, or at least an agnostic, or at the most, a deist, then I must be blind: http://atheistempire.com/greatminds/quotes.php?author=3 Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE] They are quotes for separation of church and state. A belief in separation from church and state does not denote atheism. I believe in separation of church and state, I am not an atheist. Like I said, I would be interested in evidence he's an atheist. If the curator has such letters then I'm sure they are publicly available but I haven't seen or heard of them. I do not consider the opinion of anyone who was born 200 years after Madison as evidence especially as a third hand rumor (no offense). Any such quote from a man as famous and well documented as Madison should be easy to track down. Considering the amount of atheist websites who have made such claims seem to have found no such proof I'm inclined to believe there isn't any proof. Saying Christian leaders should not run the government certainly doesn't qualify. At some point somewhere in his whole life i would think an atheist would have had to have said he doesn't believe in god, or doesn't think god exists or any such derivation. I've never seen that. I don't think there was a prevailing wisdom that he was an atheist in his day so I'm skeptical when someone comes along 200 years later claiming to have more insight into his psyche than those that actually knew him. But that's really not the point, even if he was an atheist he certainly made no effort to remove religion from America. Freedom of religion seems quite clear to me and any further attempt to explain or expound on its definition appears to be more of an attempt at spin than clarification. As far as Tebow, I'm lucky enough that I don't get American TV where I live but I'm sure his popularity will wane eventually, the public does not have a long attention span.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Madison was also a slave owner, in fact I believe he had slaves while he was in the White House.  My point, I don't care much for the opinions of people who were of such low moral character.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : Meaning no disrespect, but I have two names for you that debunk you post. 1) Cassius Clay 2) Muhamad Ali
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Chris, I don't think anyone gave a toss about Ali's religion, they didn't like it when he refused to go to Vietnam due to "religious beliefs", and some other comments that he made.  If he was any other religion and refused to go, he probably would have been as controversial.  If anything, you can compare him to Chris Jackson.  No one cared about him until he turned anti-USA.  It wasn't his religion but his lack of respect for his country. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

People like Tebow because he's a good guy. He's not drugged up  or drunk punk. He's not cry baby, trouble maker, or getting bailed out of jail. He's the opposite most Proffesional athletes today. This has nothing to do with religion for 75% of the people that like him. This has everything to do with religion for the people that hate him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]People like Tebow because he's a good guy. He's not drugged up  or drunk punk. He's not cry baby, trouble maker, or getting bailed out of jail. He's the opposite most Proffesional athletes today. This has nothing to do with religion for 75% of the people that like him. This has everything to do with religion for the people that hate him.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]
      Well said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]People like Tebow because he's a good guy. He's not drugged up  or drunk punk. He's not cry baby, trouble maker, or getting bailed out of jail. He's the opposite most Proffesional athletes today. This has nothing to do with religion for 75% of the people that like him. This has everything to do with religion for the people that hate him.

First, I do not think he is a bad guy.  I think he has flaws, both professional and personal.  But I won't go into that here.

I want to challenge the notion of the part of your post I emboldened.

Yesterday, I heard several Patriots fans on sports radio say they would be hoping that "Tebow" (not just the Broncos, mind you) beats the Pats. Yes, PATRIOTS FANS.  

They claimed they wanted him to beat their Pats because "he is a good guy, even a better teammate than Brady," in their estimation.

Here's the problem: In each case, the caller tipped his hand by using zealous Christian language, such as "I don't think people are being fair when they criticize him for praising THE LORD/OUR LORD after he wins."  Non-Christians and even most casual Christians never speak like that.  It was a dead give-away...those guys preferred Tebow because he was on their team - the Zealot Christian Team. The whole, "I only like him most because he is a good guy, a good QB and is a winner - not because he is Christian," doesn't hold water, nor pass the sniff test. 

There are many, many more talented QBs who are truly exceptional humans who will never get Tebow's adoration nor opportunities solely because they don't talk Tebow's talk.  Tebow's success flies in the face of the meritocracy of pro sports.  Add together that with the hype and Tebow's exploitation of his exposure, and THAT is why people like me resent what is going on here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : First, I do not think he is a bad guy.  I think he has flaws, both professional and personal.  But I won't go into that here. I want to challenge the notion of the part of your post I emboldened. Yesterday, I heard several Patriots fans on sports radio say they would be hoping that "Tebow" (not just the Broncos, mind you) beats the Pats. Yes, PATRIOTS FANS.   They claimed they wanted him to beat their Pats because "he is a good guy, even a better teammate than Brady," in their estimation. Here's the problem: In each case, the caller tipped his hand by using zealous Christian language, such as "I don't think people are being fair when they criticize him for praising THE LORD/OUR LORD after he wins."  Non-Christians and even most casual Christians never speak like that.  It was a dead give-away...those guys preferred Tebow because he was on their team - the Zealot Christian Team. The whole, "I only like him most because he is a good guy, a good QB and is a winner - not because he is Christian," doesn't hold water, nor pass the sniff test.  There are many, many more talented QBs who are truly exceptional humans who will never get Tebow's adoration nor opportunities solely because they don't talk Tebow's talk.  Tebow's success flies in the face of the meritocracy of pro sports.  Add together that with the hype and Tebow's exploitation of his exposure, and THAT is why people like me resent what is going on here. Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE] He said 75%, are you taking the position that the 2 people who called into the show claiming to be "Pats fans" represent 100% of the population. They were most likely just two nuts who wanted to hear their voices on TV. I know hundreds of Pats fans and not one follows that line of thinking. There are billions of people in the world, finding a handful to say anything does not mean anything. Like I told 49 when he claimed there were more talented QBs who haven't gotten a shot. Name them. Because in my experience every 6-4 240 pound, 2 time national champion, Heisman winning, SEC QB with running back speed gets a shot in the NFL. If there's someone with a more impressive resumee it would be news to me. There will come a time when all the people who predicted that Tebow wasn't qualified to play in the NFL will look silly. Considering that a 4 win team last year is in the playoffs I'd say that time was a month ago. I mean it's kind of silly to keep saying he can't play every week at this point isn't it? I think the problem is that all the amateur scouts of America confused the fact that real scouts were saying he was a mid round prospect because he needed to develop, and took that to mean he hasn't got a lick of talent and can't throw a football. Really, listen to a lot of the criticism, claiming a Heisman winning SEC QB can't throw a spiral....seriously, that's ludicrous! He doesn't have perfect NFL mechanics but we are still talking about a guy who played QB at the highest level of college, he can throw a football, maybe he doesn't have the best arm in the NFL but he certainly is as good or better than plenty of other guys who did nothing in college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I am a Gator grad and watched him play for the Gators on TV.  He was carried by an exceptionally talented group of players, on D and on C.  In many cases, they won in spite of Tebow.  

You need to know something about UF.  For a while at least, they had zealot Christians controlling various aspects of the sports programs.  Kids that were zealous Christians would advance.  Those who were not or would not covert, were held back in different ways. 

After having to practically fight his way off the bench in his first year as a transfer student, despite being an All-American in his previous playing season, my brother became THE STAR on their '94-'95 baseball teams, compiling some of the best stats ever for a Gator, even in his short career there, but was black-balled by Coach Lopez - a fanatical, zealous fundementalist Christian - who unsuccessfully tried to bully my brother into converting.  

Because my brother didn't convert, Lopez told the pro scouts not to draft my brother (an All-American, the Southern California Little League All Star MVP, holder of several hitting records in the SEC and at UF, leading the team in HRs and slugging, leading the SEC in HRs and slugging his jr. year, and who didn't have an enemy in the world, loved by all who knew him...except his nutty, controlling coach).  

Lopez told the scouts that my brother had an "attitude problem", even though he got good grades, attended all practices, was the most popular guy I saw on campus, was heavily recruited by all the best Frats (he declined), was hunted by all women, was very popular on his team, and never said a bad word about anybody.  It was criminal what happened to him. He was not the only one to whom it happened. 

Meanwhile, other guys in Lopez's "club" advanced despite their average talent.

Based on what I witnessed happening to my brother and to others of good talent who were also held back for not "joining", I suspect Tebow benefited at the expense of better athletes , such as my bro, who were not in the Christian clique, because of Tebow's overt Christianity.

Ironically, that brother eventually converted, bending to the pressure of his wife and her family.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In Response to Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?:
    [QUOTE]Or Hindu or Buddhist? Somehow I think the pink hats who use Tebow's faith as the foundation of their adoration for him would be a lot less loving if he embraced a religion they consider "wrong."
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

What the h does pink hats mean to you? One of the most misused  expression on this board. Just tired. The sports world and just about every sportscaster outside the NE area has been worshipping at the Tebow altar. They made the man a star.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : First, I do not think he is a bad guy.  I think he has flaws, both professional and personal.  But I won't go into that here. I want to challenge the notion of the part of your post I emboldened. Yesterday, I heard several Patriots fans on sports radio say they would be hoping that "Tebow" (not just the Broncos, mind you) beats the Pats. Yes, PATRIOTS FANS.   They claimed they wanted him to beat their Pats because "he is a good guy, even a better teammate than Brady," in their estimation. Here's the problem: In each case, the caller tipped his hand by using zealous Christian language, such as "I don't think people are being fair when they criticize him for praising THE LORD/OUR LORD after he wins."  Non-Christians and even most casual Christians never speak like that.  It was a dead give-away...those guys preferred Tebow because he was on their team - the Zealot Christian Team. The whole, "I only like him most because he is a good guy, a good QB and is a winner - not because he is Christian," doesn't hold water, nor pass the sniff test.  There are many, many more talented QBs who are truly exceptional humans who will never get Tebow's adoration nor opportunities solely because they don't talk Tebow's talk.  Tebow's success flies in the face of the meritocracy of pro sports.  Add together that with the hype and Tebow's exploitation of his exposure, and THAT is why people like me resent what is going on here.

Woody- Don't take this the wrong way dude---I don't know if you realize it but you just confirmed the whole point of my post.
    If there are Pats fans that are actually routing for Denver they are in the very small minority. As for my second point- The anger in your post speaks for itself.
    As for his "Exploitation of his exposure"..This guy spends his time visiting childrens hospitals and doing endless charity work. He's not out Jet setting and making it rain at strip joints.  I just can't figure out what's wrong with that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

A muslim could be a media star like Tebow but he would have to be a perfect player and be as handsome as Ali........ Tebow gets away with stinking up the NFL soley because  he brings in new fans from Nascar and collage football.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim?": [QUOTE] A muslim could be a media star like Tebow but he would have to be a perfect player and be as handsome as Ali........ Tebow gets away with stinking up the NFL soley because  he brings in new fans from Nascar and collage football. Posted by Mungomunro[/QUOTE] So John Fox plays him because he gets money from the league or something?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Liberals once again reveal their intolerance.

Liberals of course LOVE Muhammed Ali - who was a real scum bag.  He expressed his "faith" by hating America.

Liberals loved that.  Sang songs about him, made movies, etc.

You gotta love liberals - i would say they are hypocrites, but they are actually just stupid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]Actual passages from Tebow's own Bible You decide for yourselves whether he's a charletain and a hypocrite.    “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.   “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.   "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

You do not understand the context of this - obviously.

You know, Jesus, the person you are quoting, prayed publicly all the time. 

You are a religious illiterate.  it is okay - but why have strong opinions about things that you are completely ignorant of?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : First, I do not think he is a bad guy.  I think he has flaws, both professional and personal.  But I won't go into that here. I want to challenge the notion of the part of your post I emboldened. Yesterday, I heard several Patriots fans on sports radio say they would be hoping that "Tebow" (not just the Broncos, mind you) beats the Pats. Yes, PATRIOTS FANS.   They claimed they wanted him to beat their Pats because "he is a good guy, even a better teammate than Brady," in their estimation. Here's the problem: In each case, the caller tipped his hand by using zealous Christian language, such as "I don't think people are being fair when they criticize him for praising THE LORD/OUR LORD after he wins."  Non-Christians and even most casual Christians never speak like that.  It was a dead give-away...those guys preferred Tebow because he was on their team - the Zealot Christian Team. The whole, "I only like him most because he is a good guy, a good QB and is a winner - not because he is Christian," doesn't hold water, nor pass the sniff test.  There are many, many more talented QBs who are truly exceptional humans who will never get Tebow's adoration nor opportunities solely because they don't talk Tebow's talk.  Tebow's success flies in the face of the meritocracy of pro sports.  Add together that with the hype and Tebow's exploitation of his exposure, and THAT is why people like me resent what is going on here.

Why do you - an Atheist - continue to be obsessed with God and Christianity?

Why would the opinion of an Atheist about the Christian faith have ANY significance?

Focus on your Atheism.  Practice that to the best of your ability.

But no - you cannot.  Anytime you even hear someone whisper Jesus you come running.

It is pretty obvious you are struggling internally.  You want to call yourself an atheist but you are consumed with discusssing God.  You are so desperate for God, it is funny to watch you deny it post after post after post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : Woody- Don't take this the wrong way dude---I don't know if you realize it but you just confirmed the whole point of my post. If there are Pats fans that are actually routing for Denver they are in the very small minority. As for my second point- The anger in your post speaks for itself. As for his "Exploitation of his exposure"..This guy spends his time visiting childrens hospitals and doing endless charity work. He's not out Jet setting and making it rain at strip joints.  I just can't figure out what's wrong with that.

Am I ticked that less-deserving, less-talented athletes advanced due to their clique-ish religious beliefs over gys like my brother, who are/were much more talented and deserving?  Damn right I am.  What about it?  You don't see how it is completely wrong?

I think it is getting a bit cliche' for people to imply here that the average NFL players are wh@re-mongering strip club rats.  Some of the time, the way people have expressed that idea has been subtlety racist.

As for Tebow doing all that charitable work, do you think he holds an exclusive on that?  You must be aware that the Patriots are the most charitable team in all sports, their players the most active in charitable organizations, right?  But turn on the TV this week and they are the Evil Empire vs. Tebow The Saint. You don't think that is perverted?

So he does exceptional charitable work.  That's all good.  I am not faulting him for it.  I applaud it.  I've done it, too.  I know others who do it.  It is pretty common.   Actors and musicians do it all the time.  Sandra Bullock donated $10 million to the Tsunami relief in Indonesia, but you hardly heard boo about it. I don't see the musicians and actors getting this level of exposure for it, do you? Let Tebow do that as a profession. But it is wrong for him to displace a more talented and deserving athlete in pro sports, who chances are, will also do great charitable work, as is customary in the NFL.

As for the callers, I only listened for about 30 minutes and in that time there were two callers who did as I described...out of the three callers I heard.  I have no idea how many more there were voicing the same.  And how many more thinking the same. And as I will repeat...again...been there, done that, know their game, know the way they think and operate.  I am sure it is more prevalent than you would want to believe.  I didn't prove your  point at all because 67% of the callers I heard claimed to be Pats fans wishing Tebow to beat the Pats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : Am I ticked that less-deserving, less-talented athletes advanced due to their clique-ish religious beliefs over gys like my brother, who are/were much more talented and deserving?  Damn right I am.  What about it?  You don't see how it is completely wrong? I think it is getting a bit cliche' for people to imply here that the average NFL players are wh@re-mongering strip club rats.  Some of the time, the way people have expressed that idea has been subtlety racist. As for Tebow doing all that charitable work, do you think he holds an exclusive on that?  You must be aware that the Patriots are the most charitable team in all sports, their players the most active in charitable organizations, right?  But turn on the TV this week and they are the Evil Empire vs. Tebow The Saint. You don't think that is perverted? So he does exceptional charitable work.  That's all good.  I am not faulting him for it.  I applaud it.  I've done it, too.  I know others who do it.  It is pretty common.   Actors and musicians do it all the time.  Sandra Bullock donated $10 million to the Tsunami relief in Indonesia, but you hardly heard boo about it. I don't see the musicians and actors getting this level of exposure for it, do you? Let Tebow do that as a profession. But it is wrong for him to displace a more talented and deserving athlete in pro sports, who chances are, will also do great charitable work, as is customary in the NFL. As for the callers, I only listened for about 30 minutes and in that time there were two callers who did as I described...out of the three callers I heard.  I have no idea how many more there were voicing the same.  And how many more thinking the same. And as I will repeat...again...been there, done that, know their game, know the way they think and operate.  I am sure it is more prevalent than you would want to believe.  I didn't prove your  point at all because 67% of the callers I heard claimed to be Pats fans wishing Tebow to beat the Pats.

You accuse others of being bigoted? I'm Black Dude so throw that out the window. Take a look at your own hateful posts.

67% of the callers. That's a pile of CR@P and you know it. I listen to both local sports radio stations all day long in my car you're not even close.

Man, I've never seen such vicous  Bigotry towards christians and Jews until I started posting here.

Blaming Christians for your brothers shortcomings? Paranoia at it's best.
    Get some help before you become violent.

Over and out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Chris, Why do you care who they root for, or why they root for him? If the guy was Hitler, I could see your reasoning. I dont get it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

People have always been drawn to other people who are the same as themselves. Its just a natural human traight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]I am a Gator grad and watched him play for the Gators on TV.  He was carried by an exceptionally talented group of players, on D and on C.  In many cases, they won in spite of Tebow.   You need to know something about UF.  For a while at least, they had zealot Christians controlling various aspects of  
    woody, noce post. it explains a lot about you, good and bad. still, i always find it almost humorous when uncreative and non-resolved folks like ur brother sounds make the marriage decisions they do. who forced to him to marry a christian in this great nation? i have boned a lot of theists (jews, muslims or christians) without compromising my integrity by marrying one and risking giving up my personal soul to some theistic god who rapes virgins or sends prophets or writes books, your brother should have made it a priority to marry a PERSONAL non-theist or deist. I AM A social or opportunist christian, but thats very different. if i lived in a muslim country, would go to a mosque with buds. if i found myself in israel, ditto with the temple deal. do i take any of their gawds or prophets as my personal savior? HAAAAAAA!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : You do not understand the context of this - obviously. You know, Jesus, the person you are quoting, prayed publicly all the time.  You are a religious illiterate.  it is okay - but why have strong opinions about things that you are completely ignorant of?
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]COMRADE SHUMPETERS, where u been all my forum life? i couldnt agree more with ya.. except that u seem a bit toooo socially conservative. i like the contrarian-libertarian streak though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would the Tebow fan(atic)s still be in love with the guy if he were Muslim? : COMRADE SHUMPETERS, where u been all my forum life? i couldnt agree more with ya.. except that u seem a bit toooo socially conservative. i like the contrarian-libertarian streak though.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

I am a libertarian. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Liberals once again reveal their intolerance. Liberals of course LOVE Muhammed Ali - who was a real scum bag.  He expressed his "faith" by hating America. Liberals loved that.  Sang songs about him, made movies, etc. You gotta love liberals - i would say they are hypocrites, but they are actually just stupid.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

The truth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE] Tebow gets away with stinking up the NFL soley because  he brings in new fans from Nascar and collage football.
    Posted by Mungomunro[/QUOTE]

yeah, and they cling to their guns and religion, right?