Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL

seems like there is a mutual need and both players seem to have followed the same career trajectory of high promise combined with underperformance. the eags have aneed for TE with speed who can catch the ball occasionally. plus, with the way mcnabb often fumbles and turns the ball over, they may reallly appreciate a guy whose biggest talent is being able to hustle back after turnovers to make plays. clearly, chris baker and dave thomas at this point are better overall talents. alex smith has enjoyed a far better career than watson thus far. he is an extra part the pats could do without. tyson devree could be brought back if need be. Hoyer perhaps at this point could be better on the practice squad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Re: Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL

Alex Smith is the guy to trade not watson. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Steve1581 is closer to right than the original poster!You don't trade Watson for anything less than a 2nd round draft choice!B/U QB's will be all over the place looking for work in about 4 days.The onlt reason Feely's even being mentioned is because he has had success against the Patriots on a couple of occasions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WoburnPaulie. Show WoburnPaulie's posts

I'm sick and tired of saying "This will be the year that Watson shows his stuff."  But never mind Feely, how about Tavaris Jackson from Minnasota??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wait... AJ Feely had a career trajectory of high promise, a 5th round selection?

Trading the best athlete in the league at the tightend position for a backup QB that probably isn't better than Walters our current backup makes sense how again..?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

watson makes more sense, because noone would want alex smith at this time. watson is the ultimate tease. everyone falls in love with his freakishness and "potential".  tavares has a ten cent head. same reason bel may not want vick. reminds me a bit of that other athletic brotha QB who used to back up brady. got unceremoniously cut in preseason a while bak and never played again in the league. michael something... he had a gun. even came into a few games to replace brady when they had to throw a bomb into the endzone before the half and to run some "wildcat" type plays. AJ is developed mentally, he knows the game. he is what he is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL:
    I'm sick and tired of saying "This will be the year that Watson shows his stuff."  But never mind Feely, how about Tavaris Jackson from Minnasota??
    Posted by WoburnPaulie

The Pats offense doesn't work as well without a pocket QB. NO, to Tavaris. He is a younger Michael Vick; did we make a move for Michael Vick?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Tavaris Jackson? for Ben Watson?  Why would the Vikes trade their starting QB for any TE?...starting qb...Favre will collect a $12 mil check, laugh, and ride his lawn-mower back home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL:
    Posted by WoburnPaulie

Look at the talent in Minn and he is unable to make anything of it. Jackson is not a proven starter to win games period... As a back up in this system? still no way. Feeley is much better and also BB gets along w Ried and not w Tony Kornheiser in Minn.

This will be the year Watson shows he is heading out the door...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

A starting TE (and a first rounder to boot) for an aging backup QB straight up? That is ridiculous. Reid would jump on that and privately think BB had "Al Davis disease"!!! Now if the Eagles were to throw in a second rounder (or maybe even a third) I'd say it would be a decent deal. The Eagles can't really keep Feeley anyway. They are probably figuring to get a lower round pick for the guy at best. Watson would be enticing to Reid as someone who could help out McNabb in the passing game, and possibly be a blocker when Vick was in. I'm not sure if Philly has any extra draft picks next year, but they would certainly have to throw one in along with Feeley to get a player like Watson. And that is assuming BB wants to get rid of Ben. We here are frustrated at the guy, but we also overwhelmingly wanted them to dump Cassel this time last year! In any case, they may be content with Walter as the #2, and not want to acquire another backup QB. But if they do, Feeley makes the most sense to me. Whoever keeps suggesting Tavaris Jackson needs to put that bong down, though!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

bub - Watson will not be a starting TE on this team, unless they open in a 3 TE set.
    I'd do the trade in a heartbeat, but I doubt Philly would. I certainly don't see them tossing in a pick as well. Reid has eyes...

Tavaris isn't available, at least if Minnesota brass has a brain. Favre will not make it through the season. He will ignore the fact that the Vikes have a great running game and try to force his gunslinging mentality into the offense, as usual. By midseason, he will be throwing more picks than TD's and will conveniently have a 'nagging injury' that will take the rest of the season to heal, while the Vikes try to salvage what should have been a terrific season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Posted by WoburnPaulie
    why?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoleinOne402. Show HoleinOne402's posts

This would be a silly trade.  Aging QB's are available for nothing.  Watson, for all his issues in NE, would be an upgrade for 30-50% of the teams in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

bub - Watson will not be a starting TE on this team, unless they open in a 3 TE set.
    I'd do the trade in a heartbeat, but I doubt Philly would. I certainly don't see them tossing in a pick as well. Reid has eyes...

I'm not speculating on whether Watson is a starter or not. But I disagree that Reid would not do a straight up trade. We're talking about a first round TE for a perennial backup QB...who they need to get rid of anyway! If Reid were to turn down a straight up trade I'd have to say he was crazy. Feeley has little value, he is a nine year backup and has played in only 23 games. He has 27 TDs to 29 INTs. Watson is a five year starter and has played in 55 games. He is also in his prime at 28 while Feeley is 32. You seem to be basing this trade value on your disappointment with Ben. IMO it would take at least a third rounder (and probably a second) for BB to make this trade. And that is only if he feels he needs a veteran backup for Brady. Also if he has given up on Watson. As far as Jackson not being available, there's no way they keep four QBs in Minnesota. Someone will have to go. At this point Tavaris looks like the odd man out. Either way, he is not a good fit for NE, so I expect BB has no interest whatsoever in him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I actually think Watson is more valuable to us and Alex Smith would be a better fit for the Eagles' West Coast offense.  With that in mind, it seems to be a fair trade for two expendable players w/ value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1418909. Show user_1418909's posts

If you bring in another QB at this time and try to put Hoyer on the practice squad he has to clear waivers do you think that would happen? I would rather trade Alex Smith more then Watson if it comes down to it because of his comfort level with the offense and his blocking ability in short yardage situations.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Yes please...hehehe

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

If you bring in another QB at this time and try to put Hoyer on the practice squad he has to clear waivers do you think that would happen? I would rather trade Alex Smith more then Watson if it comes down to it because of his comfort level with the offense and his blocking ability in short yardage situations.
    Posted by pnhampton

After considering Hoyer, I sort of changed my mind on this trade.  If the deal is imminent, I still think Smith would be a mutually beneficial trading piece to Philly, as directly opposed to Watson.  However, my feeling is now that perhaps trading one of these TE’s and Green-Ellis could yield a highly productive pass rusher or linebacker.  I know we just made this trade for Burgess but both positions are, just, PAPER thin. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Kind of a toss up, what do we need more?  A moderatly productive TE who never seemed to take the next step or a QB that we hope never see's the field but should provide good insurance?  Tough call......

We need 3 TE on this roster and I'm not sure Alex Smith provides any value as a pass catcher at this point (0 catches in the preseason).

Though I'd rather have Feeley than Huard, Huard will only cost money, so he may be the better option.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1418909. Show user_1418909's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Ben Watson straight up for AJ "touchy" Feeley? POLL : After considering Hoyer, I sort of changed my mind on this trade.   If the deal is imminent, I still think Smith would be a mutually beneficial trading piece to Philly, as directly opposed to Watson.   However, my feeling is now that perhaps trading one of these TE’s and Green-Ellis could yield a highly productive pass rusher or linebacker.   I know we just made this trade for Burgess but both positions are, just, PAPER thin.  
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

I agree with you but I would rather package Maroney And Smith to get a possible Outside Linebacker who is a hybred like Banta_Cain and Burgess

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

no

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Alex Smith is the guy to trade not watson. 
    Posted by steve1581

I believe he is the guy who will be traded.  Watson will stay because he can block and b/c the cap hit is the same if they let him go. He's #3 on the depth chart though.

When Feeley comes the QB to go would be Walter.  He didn't play after the 1st exhibition game (except the last series vs DC).  I think they saw all they needed to know about Walter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Watson has done nothing for 5 years.  What makes anyone think he could be productive now?  The only thing he excels at is getting injured and dropping passes.

Bust.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'd make that reade in a heartbeat. Watson is more valuable to the team as trade bad I'm sorry to say.

Sections
Shortcuts