Would you trade up in the draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Would you trade up in the draft?

I think we can't pass on DT Aaron Donald, he is a can't miss prospect IMO.. Where do you think he lands? Do you think we can trade our pick this year, a 2015 second and a third/fourth for #10 overall and do business with the Lions. There in a good spot to trade down, they need secondary help for sure. At what cost would you do it for?someone like Donald.. I would consider it. 

In BB we trust. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Would you trade up in the draft?

Considering all of the needs we currently have, the value of draft picks and cost controlled labor, and the fact that Donald is not a schematic fit for our defense at all - I pass on that deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't know where you have him ranked but I have him up there.  I would cost a lot.  I would have to pass.  I see DE of a more need than a DT.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think this year, you want to get as many mid-round draft picks as possible.  Trading up does not make sense.  There were 100 underclassmen added to this draft.  The mid-round selections could be a first rounder in a normal draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

I think this year, you want to get as many mid-round draft picks as possible.  Trading up does not make sense.  There were 100 underclassmen added to this draft.  The mid-round selections could be a first rounder in a normal draft.

This^^^^^

If anything... would somehow  try and trade into the 1st round next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

I don't know where you have him ranked but I have him up there.  I would cost a lot.  I would have to pass.  I see DE of a more need than a DT.

[object HTMLDivElement]

i don't see that. Interior on both lines is all we need with the back end we have now with out an upgrade at SS. We need to get someone that will make Vince rotte the rest of his career here. We played Vince too much and he got hurt. I hope we can draft the next Ted Washington and move Vince around on the line. 

The proposed trade gives up too much. We need 2 or 3 players from this years draft to make the team and be serviceable   We need the mid round picks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

And this is where people go crazy cause they hear this is a deep draft. There isn't a ton of upfront talent in this draft. This draft is deep because there is a lot of potential in the middle rounds but as we've heard year in and year out with these deep drafts is 2 years down the road that most of the potential never panned out. On thing is for sure there has never been a draft that has produced more talent in the middle rounds combined then in the 1st 50 picks of a draft. There should be a number of solid players. Certainly more players with day 2 grades going deeper into the draft (maybe even into the mid 5th) but lets not go over board and think you can get a 1st round talent in the 4th. This is not true in the least. You can most likely point to a couple of positions where you can find a player in the later 3rd or mid 4th that might have gone late 2nd in a normal draft but that's not the same as getting a 1st round talent.

It's a very good and deep draft at certain positions but that doesn't mean it's loaded with tons of talent. Frankly all the hype is great for the sport and wouldn't be surprised if it's being overplayed to draw up more interest. How many times have we heard about deep drafts and then almost immediately after here that BB or other GMs just weren't enamored and decided the value was to get into the next years draft because that one was going to be so much better?

Break it down by position:

QB - Can anyone say that any of those top guys are really top 10 players? Heck most are considered fringe 1st rounders if not for it being a QB league

RB - The position has been devalued but still there are no AP's, and I think most people would say it's deep in players like Ridley and Vereen types. Nice complimentary backs, but no real stand outs.

TE - It's a weaker TE draft. Ebron is the only sure 1st rounder. ASJ, Amaro, CJ, and Niklas all have good upside but each have their question marks this is not a deep position

OL - Some good upfront talent at T but no more than any other draft and G and C aren't well represented upfront. Some very good talents in the mid rounds with high development upside but no one you can stick your finger on as a day 1 starter really

WR - easily the deepest position in the draft and has 1st rounders going to late 2nd and day 2 kids lasting till early-mid 5th

DL - maybe 4-5 guys you would say are 1st rounders but most as day 2 type of kids or have question marks (like Tuitt and Nix's injures and Hageman being raw). Lots of upside and goes into the late 4th early 5th range but most would be day 2 kids in any draft. Good upside but most need work

LB - Depending on where you see Mack and Barr playing in the Pro's and maybe Mosley depending on how you feel about him but most of the rest are fringe 1st or day 2 type talents and most of those fringe 1st would be day 2 in a normal draft. Some good solid players to be found in rounds 2-4 but after that you are looking at a bunch of 4th and 5th type LBs (think Fletcher types)

S - is a very weak position this year. If Harmon was in this draft no one would question a 3rd on him. If T. Wilson was in this draft no one would question a 4th for him. That's how little talent and depth there is at this position

CB - some good upfront talent but it drops off quickly (maybe 12 players deep into the 2nd). Not a lot of upside after the 2nd or so. You have 2 players from Liberty college and Lindenwood who are considered top 15 CB's in this draft so the drop off is pretty quick after that.

As I said very solid overall draft and you have a lot of day 2 type of kids which some will develop but I have a feeling when all is said and done you won't be hearing about the high level of talent to come out of the draft but more of the, you found solid contributors deep into the draft. This team isn't lacking solid contributors they are lacking upfront talent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

If am I trading up into the top 15 I'm not taking Donald. Mike Evans, Watkins, Mack, Clowney. 

Outside of those 4, why waste so much capital on Donald when we could grab Hageman? 

I have no problem trading up if Bb likes a guy at 17-28 because it won't cost as much as moving up into top 15 for just one guy. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

If am I trading up into the top 15 I'm not taking Donald. Mike Evans, Watkins, Mack, Clowney. 

Outside of those 4, why waste so much capital on Donald when we could grab Hageman? 

I have no problem trading up if Bb likes a guy at 17-28 because it won't cost as much as moving up into top 15 for just one guy. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think that's the most important part when thinking about value of trading. You might not get as much trading back in previous years. Trading back 10-15 slot might only get you a pick 2 rounds back and a late day 3 this year. Or it might get you a pick for next years draft. On the opposite end trading up might not cost you nearly as much. If they really like say Nix or Hageman and see them as long term DT solutions to take over for Wilfork for the next 6-8 years and they are sitting there at say 22 and all it will cost is a 3rd to move up 7 picks is that where the value lies for a player you want, vs in previous years it would have cost you significantly more.

As we've seen in previous years, maybe BB did want a player at a spot but took the deal thinking that falling back 15 picks you'd get a similar player and then there was a run. With question marks in the positions many consider needs around here, if you have a shot at one of the top players in a position of need before you see that drop off in talent do you risk that there could be a run and you end up with 2 or 3 less talented players (which given the odds only 1 maybe 2 might be on the team past year 4) or do you get the more talented player upfront. From my prespective there are very good depth pieces going late into the draft so we don't need 10 picks to create depth. We have pretty good depth, just need to touch up some areas (4th LB, rotational DE, RB, SS if possible) but what we are lacking is upfront impact talent in a couple key areas. Mainly at interior DL at the TE positon and possible interior OL (dependent on how they feel about Kline and Wendell). Personally, unless their is a player they are targeting to move up for I don't want to see them trading back at all. That extra 6th and 4th already gives them mid round picks to build depth pieces they need to add talent not solid depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Not trading up for Donald...doesn't fit our scheme and investing such draft capital on the guy would dictate a scheme change and we don't have the other pieces on the DL to do that...a major error if they do this, not when they were playing so well last year as a defense before the injuries piled up....besides, the costs for moving up - if not for a true difference maker in how our D could play at it's max level from last year- is kinda dumb to do in a year with one of the deepest drafts in memory...trading away mucho picks for one mis-placed DT would cost us way too much in possible useful good young, relatively cheap talent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

With many QB's in this Draft, and teams needing one, this is one Draft that you just let it come to you. Also a weird scenario, many decent DL in this Draft. Teams might want to move up at the 29th spot to grab one. You have a good possibility of getting a good haul of picks. Only 5 picks next year too from what other Posters have said, might want to think about that.
    To me more value in this Draft in 2nd and 3rd rounds in this Draft than the 1st round. If you evaluated everything right. That's why I think Lombardi was brought in, he has been doing it for a year already in Cleveland. Smart move by BB, Free information.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

i don't see that. Interior on both lines is all we need with the back end we have now with out an upgrade at SS. We need to get someone that will make Vince rotte the rest of his career here. We played Vince too much and he got hurt. I hope we can draft the next Ted Washington and move Vince around on the line. 

The proposed trade gives up too much. We need 2 or 3 players from this years draft to make the team and be serviceable   We need the mid round picks. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

That Pats ALREADY drafted the next Ted Washington....his name is Vince Wilfork. 

You want the Pats to draft the NEXT Wilfork? You, me, and everyone else too...that's gettin' kinda greedy though, no?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Im Just a little bit worried about the drop off at DT/DE at the 29 pick. with my proposed trade you will still have your second rounder this year and you lose your third or fourth. You still can land your TE in the second round. If we get Keller than that might changes our draft philosophy, you can grab a SS or WR such as Bruce Ellington. you can grab a top DT prospect and a solid pick in the second. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

With many QB's in this Draft, and teams needing one, this is one Draft that you just let it come to you. Also a weird scenario, many decent DL in this Draft. Teams might want to move up at the 29th spot to grab one. You have a good possibility of getting a good haul of picks. Only 5 picks next year too from what other Posters have said, might want to think about that.
    To me more value in this Draft in 2nd and 3rd rounds in this Draft than the 1st round. If you evaluated everything right. That's why I think Lombardi was brought in, he has been doing it for a year already in Cleveland. Smart move by BB, Free information.

Having 5 picks next year doesn't scare me as much as it used to...don't forget the 93 underclassmen in this draft that would have been available for next year's draft...that's almost 3 rounds worth...have you checked next years available players yet? They are hideous for the most part, extremely thin pickings except at QB....This is the year to strike!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Having 5 picks next year doesn't scare me as much as it used to...don't forget the 93 underclassmen in this draft that would have been available for next year's draft...that's almost 3 rounds worth...have you checked next years available players yet? They are hideous for the most part, extremely thin pickings except at QB....This is the year to strike!

Good point, I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am watching the further decline with Connolly and Wendell, the age and injury history with Vollmer, Mankins age, Cannon and Solder upcoming free agency (Solder maybe getting $25M guarantee on the open market?)

Do the Pats move up 5-8 slots to get one of the stud OL, play him at G this year, and then bump him to end in 1-3 years? With the $$$ stud T are getting, controling a stud T for 5 years on a rookie contract gives a team a ton of financial flexibility.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am watching the further decline with Connolly and Wendell, the age and injury history with Vollmer, Mankins age, Cannon and Solder upcoming free agency (Solder maybe getting $25M guarantee on the open market?)

Do the Pats move up 5-8 slots to get one of the stud OL, play him at G this year, and then bump him to end in 1-3 years? With the $$$ stud T are getting, controling a stud T for 5 years on a rookie contract gives a team a ton of financial flexibility.  

I also agree I would strongly think about grabbing an O line man also.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

looks like there are 5-6 1st round grades this year, but will any be available at 29?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

looks like there are 5-6 1st round grades this year, but will any be available at 29?

Robinson, Matthews, Lewan and Martin will all be gone, (though if somehow Martin is there at #29, I don't see how you pass on him) but players like Bitonio, Su'a-Filo, Kouandjio, Moses, JuWuan James could all interest them at the back end of Rd 1... or maybe even Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg.  Of that list, I think Bitonio would interest them the most due to his feet, athleticism, versatility and play temperament.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Robinson, Matthews, Lewan and Martin will all be gone, (though if somehow Martin is there at #29, I don't see how you pass on him) but players like Bitonio, Su'a-Filo, Kouandjio, Moses, JuWuan James could all interest them at the back end of Rd 1... or maybe even Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg.  Of that list, I think Bitonio would interest them the most due to his feet, athleticism, versatility and play temperament.

More people that I talk to think Moses goes higher than thought. Sua-Filo also looks like round 1

Martin in rd 1 seems a reach

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

More people that I talk to think Moses goes higher than thought. Sua-Filo also looks like round 1

Moses could very well be gone before 29, I agree.

I also agree with Marcus Martin being a reach in Rd 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Moses could very well be gone before 29, I agree.

I also agree with Marcus Martin being a reach in Rd 1.

I think bitonio is the best fit, I heard this guy could be the next mankind beast of a mentality I wouldn't mind grabbing him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That Pats ALREADY drafted the next Ted Washington....his name is Vince Wilfork. 

You want the Pats to draft the NEXT Wilfork? You, me, and everyone else too...that's gettin' kinda greedy though, no?

[object HTMLDivElement]

not greedy at all. If we don't get depth wilfork will get hurt again. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would always be willing to trade up but never willing to trade back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I would always be willing to trade up but never willing to trade back.

I dont think there are going to be many spots open on the roster this year. 

Assuming health this team will keep 9-10 DB's and 6 WR's. This might be a year with 3 QB's. If Gronk us ready to start the season 4 TE's

Next year Pats have very few draft choices. Trading down this year might mean better draft position next year

Sections
Shortcuts