Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?:
    In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : While I fall on the side of making the trade IF they know they would not keep him (and even maybe if they would keep him) I am surprised by your statement Wozzy. First, both names you give, especially Brown, were excellent possession receivers (as Welker is). So the lesson may be that TB needs a special possession receiver to take advantage of his own talents best. This is partly true because TB is just not special throwing 25 yards or more downfield. But the first thing that came to mind was 2006! Do you recall that year? It was the year we got rid of Branch and had no go to WR. It was the year we still were on the cusp of getting to the SB but we could not convert a third down and Manning took his team downfield late and beat us. It was the catalyst for Moss, Welker and 2007. I think the lesson is that if you have a great QB in this league, make sure you give him the weapons he needs if you want to take advantage of his talents. In this case that reequires at the very very least an especially good possession WR. Not just TEs. This year Lloyd might be able to do that. Gaffney will likely be decent at adding value there as well. That is if we did not have Welker. I do not expect anyone to trade with us for Welker though.
    Posted by portfolio1

A lot of people were saying you can't win a ring without a legitimate deep threat, Troy Brown as our leading receiver dismisses that notion. Givens after he left the Patriots disappeared.  In 2006 Rodney Harrison broke his forearm in the AFC East Championship game and Dallas Clark went wild in our secondary.

Granted Reche Caldwell was terrible and we were absolutely devoid of wide receiver talent but that is not the case this year, if anything we have too many options. 

Branch is still here in the slot, Edelmen has been waiting patiently for a chance to start in the slot, Gaffney is at best a big slot receiver and then you have guys like Danny Woodhead who could convert back to WR and be an effective slot guy and Demps has the same build/mold to be effective in the slot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

YEP!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?:
    In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : While I fall on the side of making the trade IF they know they would not keep him (and even maybe if they would keep him) I am surprised by your statement Wozzy. First, both names you give, especially Brown, were excellent possession receivers (as Welker is). So the lesson may be that TB needs a special possession receiver to take advantage of his own talents best. This is partly true because TB is just not special throwing 25 yards or more downfield. But the first thing that came to mind was 2006! Do you recall that year? It was the year we got rid of Branch and had no go to WR. It was the year we still were on the cusp of getting to the SB but we could not convert a third down and Manning took his team downfield late and beat us. It was the catalyst for Moss, Welker and 2007. I think the lesson is that if you have a great QB in this league, make sure you give him the weapons he needs if you want to take advantage of his talents. In this case that reequires at the very very least an especially good possession WR. Not just TEs. This year Lloyd might be able to do that. Gaffney will likely be decent at adding value there as well. That is if we did not have Welker. I do not expect anyone to trade with us for Welker though.
    Posted by portfolio1

A poor example to represent your argument my friend. Brady took a team with almost no talent on offense, got them to the AFC game and then scored 34 points only to watch the vaunted defense that everyone screams for blow a 21 point lead and really a 4rth SB as the Bears had less then a zero % chance of beating us.

I think the lesson to be learned is that when you have a talented QB, do what you can to make sure you have a talented defense, and a complimentary offense, because when you start building your team around a QB who doesn't really need it, you get what we have become for the past 5 years. A team that lost 2 SB's despite scoring 34 ppg a year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

If we trade Welker I have to agree that if Lloyd gets hurt who do we go to now? All we would really have is Gronk, Hernandez, then maybe Branch/Stallworth/Edelman/Slater. These are not guys who will be consistent top level producers at the WR position. I want to win now and draft picks are like Russian roulette, sometimes you win big or you shoot yourself and in this metaphor possibly put the Pats back a few steps in the waining years of Brady's career. Sure Brady has done a lot with so many different receivers, but as some eluded to the game has drastically changed and I think we need to keep our offensive core unit intact while Brady is still playing. I love Welker, but he isn't really worth a number 1 pick at this point in his career and I would be highly surprised to see the Colts make that move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Abso freaking lutly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

OK Welker didn't practice yesterday and not playing tonight so maybe this is a trade in progress.  I can see Welker not minding if he can get the money and contract he wants. But wow that would be another bizarre move for Patriot fans to digest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Would You?/??? So this is hypothetical, except that WW is not practicing. Two points; Welker is what 31 ? If the Colts get Welker they still won't beat the Texans, but their record could go from 6-10 or 7-9 to 9-7.  Might be a big leap, but the difference the Pats have no top ten pick and move into 15-20 territory. Perhaps a less tradable pick (depends on how the draft plays out really). While I agree 15-20 is a decent spot why would the Colts want an aging WR with a one year deal. Everything would be based on WW signing a deal IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

No I would not and I wouldn't think BB would even consider trading Brady's reliable #1 target and one of the most productive WRs in the NFL when they are very much a SB contender and Brady needs a known WR connection. And nothing is guaranteed with even a top 5 pick. After the season you deal with it and let the chips fall where they may. The Pats will not be desparate next year either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

No, not at all. Let's get a title this year with him!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I don't think anyone is going to give up a first round AND pay a player another 9 million per year for 3 years.  I love Welker, its no surprise that Brady's meteoric rise to the top coincided with the trade for Welker.  Both have immensly increased each other's stock.  Further, I've supported Welker in his fight for a contract.  Currently he is just being used by the system - effectively, I might add.  BTW, that's not to trash the pats.  They have played Welker about as well as a team can contractually.  Funny how that "family" atmosphere changes when its contract time.  Anyway, Welker deserves the money, but giving up the money and a first rounder is something I hope the colts do not do.
    Posted by UD6

You are such a dip. With a couple of exceptions, Brady was winning superbowls with a bunch of has beens off the street. Brady was just as good a Qb before Wes arrived.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No. Especially with the way this offense has been playing in preseason. We need all hands on deck and Wes represents the most capable WR we still have. Perhaps if Gaffney, Lloyd were lighting it up, but watching preseason games, I can't tell if they are not being targeted, or that they aren't catching on. With all the supposed depth we have at WR, Wes and Branch are the only proven targets. Keep him for another year is my vote. Try to do something with him longer term when we can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : A poor example to represent your argument my friend. Brady took a team with almost no talent on offense, got them to the AFC game and then scored 34 points only to watch the vaunted defense that everyone screams for blow a 21 point lead and really a 4rth SB as the Bears had less then a zero % chance of beating us. I think the lesson to be learned is that when you have a talented QB, do what you can to make sure you have a talented defense, and a complimentary offense, because when you start building your team around a QB who doesn't really need it, you get what we have become for the past 5 years. A team that lost 2 SB's despite scoring 34 ppg a year.
    Posted by TrueChamp

In the last 60 years we have seen A LOT of really good QBs who never win or sometimes even get to a SB. I could point out guys like Sonny Jurgensen (one of the top 6 or 7 all time), I could point to Dan Fouts, I could point to Marino, (got to one SB and lost), Jim Kelly (got to a few SBs but lost all of them), and more.... today you can point to Tony Romo, to Matt Ryan, to Schaub, to Cutler, etc.

THe first point is NO team has EVER won a SB with only a great QB. No one. My original point was to  illustrate that the Pats were more limited offesnively that year than in any year Brady QB'd here and the response by BB was to get him targets. I think BB's ACTIONS illustrate the point.

Said a different way: if you have a really good QB you need to have talent around him IN ORDER TO GET THE VALUE OF HIS TALENTS. That means an O line. THat means people who can catch the ball. It also helps to be able to run the ball. And it helps to be able to play D. But at the LEAST you need an O line and guys that can catch the ball.

I don't think the example is bad at all. Especially as BB as taken that leason to heart since the playoff game v the Colts in 2006.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : A poor example to represent your argument my friend. Brady took a team with almost no talent on offense, got them to the AFC game and then scored 34 points only to watch the vaunted defense that everyone screams for blow a 21 point lead and really a 4rth SB as the Bears had less then a zero % chance of beating us. I think the lesson to be learned is that when you have a talented QB, do what you can to make sure you have a talented defense, and a complimentary offense, because when you start building your team around a QB who doesn't really need it, you get what we have become for the past 5 years. A team that lost 2 SB's despite scoring 34 ppg a year.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Also, with all due respect True - the two SB losses were games we could have won and many think should have won with the team we had. In the first game it took a truly once in a lifetime play with the helmet catch. You cant blame that on the D. It just happened. Like Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception in the early 70's. This last game came down to one offensive play which both TB and Welker almost did well on but neither did well enough... and on the last Giants series which included another great catch (though not as improbable, still pretty darn exceptional). It also took a serious injury to our best O lineman ANd an injury to THE best TE in the league to keep us from wining. So I think that this team, which has had the best record during the regular season for the last 5 years of ANY team, and has been to two SBs and come within a hair of winning BOTH is so good that it is amazing that more fans put them down. Yes we are all frustrated by those two improbable losses. But stuff happens. THis team HAS BEEN exceptional. ANd I think it wil lbe this year too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? :   You are such a dip. With a couple of exceptions, Brady was winning superbowls with a bunch of has beens off the street. Brady was just as good a Qb before Wes arrived.
    Posted by jerh5

typical pats fan response.  Who were these has beens? And please define has been for me? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

I don't think anyone is going to give up a first round AND pay a player another 9 million per year for 3 years.  I love Welker, its no surprise that Brady's meteoric rise to the top coincided with the trade for Welker.  Both have immensly increased each other's stock.  Further, I've supported Welker in his fight for a contract.  Currently he is just being used by the system - effectively, I might add.  BTW, that's not to trash the pats.  They have played Welker about as well as a team can contractually.  Funny how that "family" atmosphere changes when its contract time.  Anyway, Welker deserves the money, but giving up the money and a first rounder is something I hope the colts do not do.
    Posted by UD6

You should have wished the Colts had this system. This was the demise of your team and whey GM Polian was fired? He couldn't manage the cap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Nobody thought Richard Seymour would be traded,but he was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : Also, with all due respect True - the two SB losses were games we could have won and many think should have won with the team we had. In the first game it took a truly once in a lifetime play with the helmet catch. You cant blame that on the D. It just happened. Like Franco Harris' Immaculate Reception in the early 70's. This last game came down to one offensive play which both TB and Welker almost did well on but neither did well enough... and on the last Giants series which included another great catch (though not as improbable, still pretty darn exceptional). It also took a serious injury to our best O lineman ANd an injury to THE best TE in the league to keep us from wining. So I think that this team, which has had the best record during the regular season for the last 5 years of ANY team, and has been to two SBs and come within a hair of winning BOTH is so good that it is amazing that more fans put them down. Yes we are all frustrated by those two improbable losses. But stuff happens. THis team HAS BEEN exceptional. ANd I think it wil lbe this year too.
    Posted by portfolio1

The point of my post was in 2006 Brady had zero talent and was virtually a few minutes away from Lombardi#4(imo we would have crushed the bears). Yet with all the receiving talent in the world the following year we only made it 1 game further and scored 14 points.

To be clear I don't blame the defense in the slightest, I am saying that the best QB's don't really need all of the best weapons. In hindsight(which is 20-20) perhaps if we didn't go after Randy Moss, or Stalworth or whoever on offense and spent some of that money/trade bait on say a quality starting FS, or stud LBer to help with the older guys like Bru, Rodney and Vrabel then perhaps we win that game.

Maybe if we were not so set on down field passing to our top notch receiving talent then Kevin Faulk would have been used for more then 1 carry?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : typical pats fan response.  Who were these has beens? And please define has been for me? 
    Posted by UD6

I would, but you are way too slow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawg. Show frankdawg's posts

I think this year would be the best time to do it for future draft picks.  Welker may be good in the regular season, but not a factor in the superbowl...where things really matter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : typical pats fan response.  Who were these has beens? And please define has been for me? 
    Posted by UD6

If it were not for Reche (bug eye) Caldwell, Peyton would still be searching for his first super bowl ring.
        Do you care to elaborate on the receivers Peyton had at his disposal that year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I would have to do it.  It's getting an impacted player and adding youth to the football team.  It's just the way it goes.
    Posted by garytx

Agreed. I'd make that deal in a NY minute!    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Welker is key to this offense this season.  It's going to take Josh McDaniels some time to get this offense going and Welker is going to be the guy to bail out this offense until JM gets it on track.  Look for Welker to get a ton of short  receptions early in the season until this offense gets going and the O-Line gets their problems ironed out. Against the Bucs the O looked helpless without Welker.  TFB doesn't have anyone to go to on the quick short plays while he is getting bombarded by the rush.  If you want to trade Welker this season then kiss any chance of a SB goodbye.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Welker is key to this offense this season.  It's going to take Josh McDaniels some time to get this offense going and Welker is going to be the guy to bail out this offense until JM gets it on track.  Look for Welker to get a ton of short  receptions early in the season until this offense gets going and the O-Line gets their problems ironed out. Against the Bucs the O looked helpless without Welker.  TFB doesn't have anyone to go to on the quick short plays while he is getting bombarded by the rush.  If you want to trade Welker this season then kiss any chance of a SB goodbye.
    Posted by TFB12

Em I the only one that thinks Welker gets a 3 year 25 mill deal next year?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : Em I the only one that thinks Welker gets a 3 year 25 mill deal next year?
    Posted by Getzo

Now this is what I'm talking about!! I would be all for that!! Actually, I would even go for a 2 year contract.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts