would you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

would you?

Trade Ryan Mallett for Josh Gordon, knowing full well that he will be suspended for the entire season?

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: would you?

well duh yes!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

IF Garrapolo works out in camp and shows the same positives that his scouting report pros says he has...I'd try to trade Mallet for a 6th or 7th rd conditional draft selection.  ...Unless it's TB's last season...then I'd keep Mallet no matter what, and attempt fight it out for the starting qb job and the #2 next season...and try to trade the #3 for anything whatsoever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Nope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

And what guarantee do we have that Gordon will ever play in the NFL again? Meanwhile, what happens if Brady gets hurt and Garappolo isn't ready?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

And what guarantee do we have that Gordon will ever play in the NFL again? Meanwhile, what happens if Brady gets hurt and Garappolo isn't ready?  

If Brady gets hurt I don't care if we have Mallet or not the season is over. Mallet wont lead us to a title past Denver.

Mallet is gone after this season anyway. Talk about a really good risk. Even if Gordon never plays a game again it would be worth a shot no doubt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

it is a good hypothetical for that reason.  Gordon could potentially never play again but he is at a position of weakness for us.

If Brady gets hurt I don't care if we have Mallet or not the season is over. Mallet wont lead us to a title past Denver.

Mallet is gone after this season anyway. Talk about a really good risk. Even if Gordon never plays a game again it would be worth a shot no doubt

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

No, that would be stupid!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I doubt BB or Bob Kraft see it that way.  It's happened before and they played to 11 wins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

That question speaks of desperation. The Patriots are not run out of desperation; they are run out of vision where the future is always a part of the present. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I doubt BB or Bob Kraft see it that way.  It's happened before and they played to 11 wins.

Yes, it was a good season with 11 wins vs. an easier schedule and we didn't make the playoffs.

Mallet wouldn't beat Denver in the AFCCG then beat a Seattle or SF

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes, it was a good season with 11 wins vs. an easier schedule and we didn't make the playoffs.

Mallet wouldn't beat Denver in the AFCCG then beat a Seattle or SF

Still can't see BB giving up on a season no matter who gets hurt. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

No.  Mallet represents our best insurance policy for Brady.  We can't really know what we have in Garrapolo for a while still.  With every passing year there is an increased chance of Brady missing games due to injury.  In other words, with every passing year the need increases to carry better insurance, not take chances with less coverage.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In a heartbeat!  One player who won't play this season for another player who won't ply this season!

No way Mallet could lead this team to a SB if Brady went out.  He isn't close to being as good as Tent Dilfer or Brad Johnson when they lead teams with a good defense to a SB.

I would Trade Mallet and get working hard with Garropolo or bring in a older vet who might have one good year left in him.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Even if he wanted to, it's moot. Cleveland has no use for Mallett at this point, they have their QB of the future. I'd give them a 5th rounder or something. Why not?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Still can't see BB giving up on a season no matter who gets hurt. 

Agreed, but the question was would you.. and I would! lol no of course BB wouldn't but oh well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In a heartbeat!  One player who won't play this season for another player who won't ply this season!

No way Mallet could lead this team to a SB if Brady went out.  He isn't close to being as good as Tent Dilfer or Brad Johnson when they lead teams with a good defense to a SB.

I would Trade Mallet and get working hard with Garropolo or bring in a older vet who might have one good year left in him.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

OK, I get that you believe it's SB or bust.  I have to disagree with your grading system where basically anything other than a SB is failure.  Most of us enjoy making the playoffs.  It's exciting.  Each playoff game is a thrill.  Reaching the AFC Championship is a thrill.  Reaching the SB is a thrill, even when you don't win.  Granted, losing blows chunks but it's still fun getting there.

You might disagree with that right now but I can guarantee you that you won't at some point in the future.  A day will come where we will once again have losing seasons and miss the playoffs.  After a few years of that you will understand why there are plenty of us who feel pretty darned good right now.  Only one team can win the SB each year and we don't have the only good QB in the league.  We don't have the only future HoF QB in the league.  A HoF QB doesn't guarantee a SB anyway.  Ask Manning about his last SB.

Besides, we always seem to assume if Brady is injured he will be out for the year.  It's more likely he'll just be out for a handful of games.  We just need Mallet to win enough of those games to keep us in the playoff hunt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Practically speaking:  ain't gonna happen.

If offer was on the table:  November Foxtrot Whiskey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

No.  Mallet represents our best insurance policy for Brady.  We can't really know what we have in Garrapolo for a while still.  With every passing year there is an increased chance of Brady missing games due to injury.  In other words, with every passing year the need increases to carry better insurance, not take chances with less coverage.

WELL SAID

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No, but because Gordon is a mental case only. Not because if Brady goes down we need Mallett. If Brady goes down we might make the playoffs (depending on how many games Brady played) but we wouldn't get much further. That 11 wins everyone loves to toss out happened during one of the weakest schedules the Pats have had in 15yrs and had the majority of a 18-1 team from the previous season coming back. They had weapons to help Cassel in the way of Moss and Welker. No chance with Mallett do they go far or maybe even not make the playoffs.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

remember that guy, Manziel? Why would the Browns want Mallett? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Nope...trade Mallet for something/someone else, not Gordon...won't happen, no Gordon on this franchise with his particular baggage. Thank AH for that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Besides, we always seem to assume if Brady is injured he will be out for the year.  It's more likely he'll just be out for a handful of games.  We just need Mallet to win enough of those games to keep us in the playoff hunt.

Everybody needs to read and focus on this paragraph.  THIS is why you need a capable backup quarterback.  NOT to carry you to a title if your starter goes down, but to hold the fort for a couple games until he gets healthy.

Look at Green Bay last season.  Rodgers goes down early in Week 9 vs. Chicago, at which point they were 5-2.  They go 0-3 with the execrable Seneca Wallace/Scott Tolzien, before they resign one of the best backups in the game in Matt Flynn.  Flynn is able to guide them to a 2-2-1 mark over the next 5 games. Rodgers returns in Week 17 to get them a win and the division title.  The only reason that 0-3 stretch didn't kill their playoff hopes is because the NFC North is terrible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

OK, I get that you believe it's SB or bust.  I have to disagree with your grading system where basically anything other than a SB is failure.  Most of us enjoy making the playoffs.  It's exciting.  Each playoff game is a thrill.  Reaching the AFC Championship is a thrill.  Reaching the SB is a thrill, even when you don't win.  Granted, losing blows chunks but it's still fun getting there.

You might disagree with that right now but I can guarantee you that you won't at some point in the future.  A day will come where we will once again have losing seasons and miss the playoffs.  After a few years of that you will understand why there are plenty of us who feel pretty darned good right now.  Only one team can win the SB each year and we don't have the only good QB in the league.  We don't have the only future HoF QB in the league.  A HoF QB doesn't guarantee a SB anyway.  Ask Manning about his last SB.

Good post. 

But unless Mallet has been making huge strides in his QB play this off season I don't see him leading the team to victories, even if he only has to go in and play just a few games.  The guy just isn't that good.  Now we can all debate if he isn't that good because he doesn't get much chance to play but that's not the discussion here.  Shoot... I would have kept Tebow over Mallet, at least Tebow has won games against 1st team defenses.  Mallet was kept as trade bait, imo.

Of course it's Super Bowl or bust!  That is the goal of the season. Sure it's always fun to see your fav team play an extra couple of games in the season for the playoffs but it is a whole lot more fun seeing them in the SB.   I'm a pretty conservative person on most things... but when it comes to football it's all or nothing for me! LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts