Would You?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

Re: Would You?

I lived through the Patriots from (the first year I can remember is 1970 when I was 7) 1970 - 1992, um no I wouldn't trade anything we have had from the last 9 years, I'd much rather be in contention each year and have something to cheer about in Nov and Dec than having long years of saying well maybe next year when the first week of November rolls by.

The youngsters on this board have no idea what it was like from 70-93.. Long term bad years with a few good years tossed in, due to mismanagement / bad coaching. I'll take what we have now from what we had thank you very kindly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I lived through the Patriots from (the first year I can remember is 1970 when I was 7) 1970 - 1992, um no I wouldn't trade anything we have had from the last 9 years, I'd much rather be in contention each year and have something to cheer about in Nov and Dec than having long years of saying well maybe next year when the first week of November rolls by.

The youngsters on this board have no idea what it was like from 70-93.. Long term bad years with a few good years tossed in, due to mismanagement / bad coaching. I'll take what we have now from what we had thank you very kindly.

[/QUOTE]

but that's not really the discussion. no one is saying 23 years of futility.

would you take 3 SB's in 10 years if it also meant 3-4 years of mediocre teams?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

for 3 more SB's in the last 10 years, then yes.  but for 1 as the original post said, NO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great question. For me, its all about the journeys, and not just how the journeys end. Having been a fan of the Pats since the early 70's and remembering those long stretches of awful teams interspersed with those few ill fated playoff (and even Super Bowl) teams, these last 14 years have been remarkable. Probably the greatest run of any Boston sports team, including the Russell era Celtics, because there wasn't free agency so those teams stayed together year after year. The Pats have dealt with injuries, free agency, drafting near the end of each round year after year, lots of off the field stuff (Spygate, Hernandez, Bruschi's heart issues, Dick Rehbeins death, Charlie Weiss almost dying, 2 heart breaking SB losses etc), and managed to be one of the top teams year after year. Every year has brought great hope, with the real possibility of another championship. Not many teams can say that truthfully. My take is winning another with BB and TB would be the sweetest one yet because off all they (and we) have been through, and no, I wouldn't trade what has happened over the past decade for one more ring. I can wait for another and enjoy the ride until it gets here.

[/QUOTE]

Good post and I tend to agree/disagree, but you make some great points...it has been an awesome run...may never happen again, but to get another Super Bowl? To make it four for us, in my opinion, is the ultimate goal. And losing 8 years in a row is extreme/impossible with the quarterback we have, so the OP should of read...would you have traded away Brady nine years ago for one more Super Bowl title? And in hindsight, I guess so if it means we would of had four Super Bowls instead of three. I just think in he end that is what's remembered, that's what is never taken away. I did enjoy most of the past nine years, but I knew we weren't built well enough to win it all in several of them, I'm not going to look back on those seasons ten years from now and appreciate or remember them...but I certainly will for all the Super Bowl winning years. They are eternal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

EASILY the BIGGEST dissappointment was not finishing 2007. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. You cant expect to see that again. and that it was done in by a magic helmet (or even injury) is tragic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bottom line message of this thread:

1. Too many fans dont appreciate the consistently strong teams BB puts together every year. You will miss BB even if you dont think so

2. We came within a hair of winning 2 more SBs. A magic helmet and injuries and one half baked play by TB?Welker was the difference. BB put the teams together masterfully and TB QB'd masterfully. Whiners need not reply.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

A bit of irony there

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great question. For me, its all about the journeys, and not just how the journeys end. Having been a fan of the Pats since the early 70's and remembering those long stretches of awful teams interspersed with those few ill fated playoff (and even Super Bowl) teams, these last 14 years have been remarkable. Probably the greatest run of any Boston sports team, including the Russell era Celtics, because there wasn't free agency so those teams stayed together year after year. The Pats have dealt with injuries, free agency, drafting near the end of each round year after year, lots of off the field stuff (Spygate, Hernandez, Bruschi's heart issues, Dick Rehbeins death, Charlie Weiss almost dying, 2 heart breaking SB losses etc), and managed to be one of the top teams year after year. Every year has brought great hope, with the real possibility of another championship. Not many teams can say that truthfully. My take is winning another with BB and TB would be the sweetest one yet because off all they (and we) have been through, and no, I wouldn't trade what has happened over the past decade for one more ring. I can wait for another and enjoy the ride until it gets here.

[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth except for me it was '67 not the 79s.  Back when we were a losing team I went to a number of games. (I have lived in Florida since 2003 so going to home games is out.)  One time I was at a Miami game and we were real competitive in that game.  We lost at the last minute and I didn't really mind because (a) we couldn't make the playoffs anyway and (b) it improved our draft standing.  Now if that happened I would be really disappointed (and somewhat angry).  Since moving here I have been to four regular season Pats games and two pre-season games.  (Miami (2), Jacksonville (2), Tampa (2)).

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, not at my age (almost 73).  I like it just where they are -- extremely competitive and almost a sure thing to make the playoffs every year.  We were a helmet-catch and a breadbasket drop away from having two more SB winds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

To answer your question, I would say..."No".

But, how about this...Knowing what BB has done for this organization during all of the years that he has been here and realizing that he has had this team knocking on the door for a few seasons now, would you consider taking one sure Super Bowl win if it meant conceding the next eight seasons?  Understand, of course, you don't know how those eight seasons might turn out, if you don't take the deal.

I know I wouldn't do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, not at my age (almost 73).  I like it just where they are -- extremely competitive and almost a sure thing to make the playoffs every year.  We were a helmet-catch and a breadbasket drop away from having two more SB winds.

[/QUOTE]

We got 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, had only two non-playoff years (both of which they missed out on a tie-breaker), and could easily have had 3 more Super Bowls in the 2000-2010 decade. They should have won the playoff game against Indy the year Indy won it (remember, they were up big at halftime), had a couple bad calls go against them in Denver in 2006 (remember, the pass interference in the end zone and the play where Ben Watson ran down Champ Bailey from 100+ yards that should have been ruled a touchback, not a touchdown), and the helmet catch to the Giants. Just think how close they came in each of those. mthurl, you say you wont remember all of those, the history of those losses and what all happened, but I do. Its all part of being a fan, and I'd much rather have those memories than to have missed out on all of that because the team tanked. That's why I think the next one will be ever better than the first three, we, as fans will have paid our dues for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

8 years of misery for 1 year of happiness? No thanks!! More like NFW!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would you trade the last 9 years of 10 win seasons, 8 playoff appearances, 2 super bowl runner-ups and 3 AFC runner-ups for 1 super bowl win and 8 losing seasons? I wouldn't.

I really hate to correct you on this, since the last time turned into such a shyte show, starring you know who. But, this proposition is a slam dunk in my opinion - no! Your revision of the original causes more thought and I might go for that.

Looking forward to your post about Saturday. I know the non contact, no pads thing is important in the big picture but I think you get a more accurate picture from the big boy practices.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the original question either.  It was 1 Super Bowl and 8 years of mediocrity.

I might think about it if the 1 Super Bowl was the 2007 team.  But frankly, every single Sunday the Patriots have played for the past 13 years has been exciting and something to look forward to.  Some folks may say that anything less than a championship is a waste of a season; I say those folks weren't fans of this team through the Rod Rust/Dick McPherson years.  THOSE were wasted seasons.  Watching competitive football from your team week in and week out for over a decade?  Going into the playoffs invested in your team, knowing they have a chance to go all the way?  That's a gift I'm thankful for.

I would trade the past 10 years for the Sox' past 10 years, sure (3 championships, 1 or 2 truly regrettable seasons, 5 competitive seasons).  But, say, the Giants? (2 championships, 3 other 1-and-done playoff seasons, 5 missed playoffs).  I think I'd rather have the Pats' 10-year run, even with the missed opportunities.  The fact that they did reach the top several times in recent memory certainly helps, though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would you trade the last 9 years of 10 win seasons, 8 playoff appearances, 2 super bowl runner-ups and 3 AFC runner-ups for 1 super bowl win and 8 losing seasons? I wouldn't.

[/QUOTE]

probably not, but having the 19-0 seaon taht year may be somthing i would think about

But then too BB and TB would not be seen as what they are either

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

8 years of misery for 1 year of happiness? No thanks!! More like NFW!!

[/QUOTE]

NFW is right! 

Why would anybody take that deal?  Anybody taking that deal would have to experience September through December of mostly disappointment 8 times (that's about 28 Months and 128 Games and exchange it for 1 year and about 19 to 20 Games. 

Somebody with access to all the power must have made that deal in 1969 for the NY Jets and look at how that turned out.  :) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the original question either.  It was 1 Super Bowl and 8 years of mediocrity.

I might think about it if the 1 Super Bowl was the 2007 team.  But frankly, every single Sunday the Patriots have played for the past 13 years has been exciting and something to look forward to.  Some folks may say that anything less than a championship is a waste of a season; I say those folks weren't fans of this team through the Rod Rust/Dick McPherson years.  THOSE were wasted seasons.  Watching competitive football from your team week in and week out for over a decade?  Going into the playoffs invested in your team, knowing they have a chance to go all the way?  That's a gift I'm thankful for.

I would trade the past 10 years for the Sox' past 10 years, sure (3 championships, 1 or 2 truly regrettable seasons, 5 competitive seasons).  But, say, the Giants? (2 championships, 3 other 1-and-done playoff seasons, 5 missed playoffs).  I think I'd rather have the Pats' 10-year run, even with the missed opportunities.  The fact that they did reach the top several times in recent memory certainly helps, though.

[/QUOTE]

Well said Matt. 

BTW, you might want to include Victor Kiam in the "Wasted Years" category.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well said Matt. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I think I actually blocked that name out of my consciousness.  It's coming back to me... dear lord, it's all coming back!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well said Matt. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I think I actually blocked that name out of my consciousness.  It's coming back to me... dear lord, it's all coming back!

[/QUOTE]

LOL

I think they even had a spoof of Kiam doing his Remington Commercials on Saturday Night Live.  Man, those were some very bad days.  Gives me shivers. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Life Is a Journey, Not a Destination. 

The Patriots never reached their desired destination in the last 9 years but the journey gave us much enjoyment nonetheless. Yes, there was also much disappointment but that's life.

Let me pose another question.

Would you trade places with the Steelers and Giants who each won two Super Bowls in that time but are now going nowhere?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Life Is a Journey, Not a Destination. 

The Patriots never reached their desired destination in the last 9 years but the journey gave us much enjoyment nonetheless. Yes, there was also much disappointment but that's life.

Let me pose another question.

Would you trade places with the Steelers and Giants who each won two Super Bowls in that time but are now going nowhere?

[/QUOTE]

How do you know there not going nowhere?  We went from a 5 win team to Super Bowl champions the very next year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

How do you know there not going nowhere?  We went from a 5 win team to Super Bowl champions the very next year.  

Just my humble observation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I think it partly depends on how old you are and whether you've ever experienced a championship season.

So, given that I lived through the first 3 Pats SB wins, I'd prefer the last 10 years.  But if the Pats had still never won a SB I'd take the losing year after year for a single SB win.  I mean, c'mon, it's not like we weren't used to losing for years.

On the other hand my Dad only got to see 1 Pats SB win and never got to see a single Red Sox WS win in his lifetime.  He sure would have taken 1 Sox trophy no matter what happened in the other years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

If the one SB was the 19-0 season then yes without a doubt yes.

For one ring, yes.

Rings are all that matter.

Imagine if BB and TB went to 5 Super Bowls and 8 AFCCG and didn't get a ring. This 'journey' crap would suck.

It's nice that we can accept a 9 year drought because our team cemented a legacy with 3 in 4 seasons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

I don't believe any team has 10+ wins over 10+ seasons except the 49ers (16) and the Pats (11). During the two runs the 49ers won 4 Super Bowls and the Pats have won 2. The 49ers run was from 1983 to 1998 and the Pats have been doing it since 2003 and are still going.

Personally, I think I'm witnessing something historic with this franchise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

…and the people who post how bad BB the GM is would still be here telling us how bad BB the GM is.

Sections
Shortcuts