Would?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Would?

I have to wonder if Mallet wouldn't be willing to extend his stay with the Pats, just to inherit a winning team down the road, I sure would?

The money dries up fast if you go to a loser organization, you get your butt kicked and end up walking with a limp.

I stated this on another thread entitled "Mallet" but it was yet another Rusty war going on so football talk falls by the wayside.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Would?

And we needed a third Mallet thread today for the trifecta!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I don't think so. If I am Mallet, I want to play! IF Mallet has a competitive bone in his body he wants to play and try to start his own "legacy."

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And we needed a third Mallet thread today for the trifecta!

[/QUOTE]

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

lol

no I think he has paid and is paying his dues these guys want to start.

Houston May still be his best place with OB

just coz he has a gun doesn't  mean he will be good

just coz he he has UN derstudied with TB and bb doesn't mean he will be good

He was knocked down in the draft cos of a stupid act

He has been a really good soldier here, no problems, and doing his job as playing the other qb in game week

We see so little of him and rarely with the first team no one here knows

And he is not a rookie

Ar was on the bench for 3yrs, no one knew he would be this good either

as I said, I root for every pat player and if TB goes down (:(:(: I cannot throw the towel in!

trent Dilfer won a sb 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think there is zero chance of this happening

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

If Mallett is like most young NFL QBs then he has confidence in his ability to be a starter in the league, even if that confidence is unfounded.   He would look at and hear Tom Brady and think "I'll be over 30 before they give me the keys here".

I can't see Mallett wanting to stay here under those circumstances.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No, if he's any good - and I think that is debatable - how much longer would he want to sit? If he wants to play/compete, then he needs to get out of here. How old is he now? How many years has he had to watch Brady and other quarterbacks start, get rich, and famous? If he's the real deal he'll want the same, I just don't think he is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's not totally unimaginable.  Isn't that what Scott Zolak chose to do when he extended his contract in 1996?  Still, I think the likelihood is that Mallet will test the market and only re-sign if nothing better comes along. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

I have to wonder if Mallet wouldn't be willing to extend his stay with the Pats, just to inherit a winning team down the road, I sure would?

The money dries up fast if you go to a loser organization, you get your butt kicked and end up walking with a limp.

I stated this on another thread entitled "Mallet" but it was yet another Rusty war going on so football talk falls by the wayside.

[/QUOTE]

He may be willing, but given we just spent a 2nd on jimmy, I don't think bb is willing. Mallett doesn't seem to be in our long term plans. To early to tell if jimmy is the answer either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I just don't see it. Even the worst non-rook starter gets paid more than the best backup on the market and as others have said these guys want to start. So, FA where he has a shot to start which would then include a bigger payday with it.

Besides if Mallett becomes the next starter that means we completely wasted a 2nd round pick on Garp and BB would let that egg sit on his face.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

If he has the choice between remaining a backup here or becoming the starter anywhere else, he should want the starting job.

The job as starting QB for the Patriots is earned not inherited, and by passing on a starter job he would have shown that he thinks he could do just that, inherit it. Put in another way, if Mallet signs to remain the backup here, he will never be the starter here.

Supra societatem nemo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Everyone wants to prove themselves on their own merits and, IMHO, Mallett would relish the chance on another team to prove he can be a starter.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Admittedly it would take a very smart player and business man, Steve Young smart, to choose this path... but it would still be the smart play unless he finds a great team that only needs a QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he has the choice between remaining a backup here or becoming the starter anywhere else, he should want the starting job.

The job as starting QB for the Patriots is earned not inherited, and by passing on a starter job he would have shown that he thinks he could do just that, inherit it. Put in another way, if Mallet signs to remain the backup here, he will never be the starter here.

Supra societatem nemo

[/QUOTE]

Why would it not show that he believes he can earn it? That he's happy in this system? Show me a team that is looking for a starter and I'll show you a less than ideal situation.

Now, that being said - I believe that it is mostly about money and ego with these guys, so I think he'll sign somewhere else to start and cash in.

Basically, your guess is as good as mine!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to Section136's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why would it not show that he believes he can earn it? That he's happy in this system? Show me a team that is looking for a starter and I'll show you a less than ideal situation.

Now, that being said - I believe that it is mostly about money and ego with these guys, so I think he'll sign somewhere else to start and cash in.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken. It's speculation and interpretation of motives.

But no, IMO him signing to remain a backup here would send terrible signals about his commitment to play. It would first of all signal that he would rather be a backup than playing now. There is just something wrong about that. There are only 32 starting NFL QB's in the world, and turning one of those jobs down, hoping for something better (the starting job here) is risky.

Supra societatem nemo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just don't see it. Even the worst non-rook starter gets paid more than the best backup on the market and as others have said these guys want to start. So, FA where he has a shot to start which would then include a bigger payday with it.

Besides if Mallett becomes the next starter that means we completely wasted a 2nd round pick on Garp and BB would let that egg sit on his face.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the first part of your post but I have to call "premature prognostication" on the second part. There are a few scenarios where Mallet re-ups and Garp pays off for the Pats. I think we on the board tend to set our expectations for players way too high. We all want to see Brady's replacement come in earlier rather than later and for him to play at a level close to what we have grown accustomed to. There are many roles that need to be filled on a football team, just because a player doesn't fulfill the big role, doesn't make his being picked a complete waste.

A of fans had to change their boxers the day Bledsoe went down, only to have to repeat the process in 2008.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with the first part of your post but I have to call "premature prognostication" on the second part. There are a few scenarios where Mallet re-ups and Garp pays off for the Pats. I think we on the board tend to set our expectations for players way too high. We all want to see Brady's replacement come in earlier rather than later and for him to play at a level close to what we have grown accustomed to. There are many roles that need to be filled on a football team, just because a player doesn't fulfill the big role, doesn't make his being picked a complete waste.

A of fans had to change their boxers the day Bledsoe went down, only to have to repeat the process in 2008.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Section, he's a 2nd round pick! 2nd round picks aren't just throw away picks, you make them expecting at some point they will start for you. If the plan was to resign Mallett all along you don't use a 2nd round pick on a backup of a backup, who might eventually become the backup 3 years down the road. If this was any other position (except punter and kicker) at least he would get on the field but you don't draft a QB in the 2nd thinking he's going to be a 3rd QB for 3 years then the backup QB afterwards. That's just bad management at best. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Point taken. It's speculation and interpretation of motives.

But no, IMO him signing to remain a backup here would send terrible signals about his commitment to play. It would first of all signal that he would rather be a backup than playing now. There is just something wrong about that. There are only 32 starting NFL QB's in the world, and turning one of those jobs down, hoping for something better (the starting job here) is risky.

Supra societatem nemo

[/QUOTE]

Definitely get where you're coming from, still stick by my opinion though. The best part of speculation is that when you make it - you can't be wrong until you're wrong! You and I can go round and round but the truth is neither one of us has any idea what motivates Mallet. Speculation can be a lot of fun though!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Admittedly it would take a very smart player and business man, Steve Young smart, to choose this path... but it would still be the smart play unless he finds a great team that only needs a QB.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They just drafted a QB in the 2nd. I think the Pats have shown they have Garp penciled in as the heir apparent. Mallett's no spring chicken and 3 years from now would make it even longer. Smart business is to know the situation (like Hoyer did when Mallett was drafted) and move on to a situation where they have a better chance at starting and a better chance at a real payday instead of backup pay.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Not sure Mallett wouldn't opt for a chance to be a starter and to cash in, but who knows?.  Maybe he sees an opportunity here, but it also assumes that that the Pats think he's the heir apparent.  This is a big preseason for him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Section, he's a 2nd round pick! 2nd round picks aren't just throw away picks, you make them expecting at some point they will start for you. If the plan was to resign Mallett all along you don't use a 2nd round pick on a backup of a backup, who might eventually become the backup 3 years down the road. If this was any other position (except punter and kicker) at least he would get on the field but you don't draft a QB in the 2nd thinking he's going to be a 3rd QB for 3 years then the backup QB afterwards. That's just bad management at best. 

[/QUOTE]

Between 2006 and 2012 there have been 12 QB's selected in the 2nd round. Exactly two were/are considered quality starting QB's. That is a 17% success rate. No one who does this for a living would agree with your expectations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

They just drafted a QB in the 2nd. I think the Pats have shown they have Garp penciled in as the heir apparent. Mallett's no spring chicken and 3 years from now would make it even longer. Smart business is to know the situation (like Hoyer did when Mallett was drafted) and move on to a situation where they have a better chance at starting and a better chance at a real payday instead of backup pay.

[/QUOTE]

Hoyer was cut outright, the decision made for him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe we shouldn't be fitting Mallett for a yellow jacket after hitting a couple of passes in one practice. I watched this guy stink in 3 straight years of preseason football against 2's, 3's and guys currently flipping burgers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Between 2006 and 2012 there have been 12 QB's selected in the 2nd round. Exactly two were/are considered quality starting QB's. That is a 17% success rate. No one who does this for a living would agree with your expectations.

[object HTMLDivElement]

So then you are saying it was silly taking 1 in the 2nd round to begin with? I want to understand your logic here, I really do. Either A) you think is was a silly draft pick because only 17% make it B) you think drafting a backup of a backup, who won't ever see the field unless the 2 in front of him get hurt, in the 2nd round is wise or C) you don't think 2nd round picks are valuable. This is of course only true if as you said they resign Mallett. Otherwise drafting him in the 2nd makes perfect sense if they don't plan to keep Mallett and Garp is the plan moving forward. 

Last time I checked 2nd rounders are still considered valuable so I think the rest of the league would agree with me that you don't spend a 2nd rounder on a QB unless you think he'll eventually start. I don't think there is any team who drafts a 2nd round QB and thinks, it was worth it because he'll make a fine backup for a backup. Think about that statement for a second. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Hoyer was cut outright, the decision made for him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You are right, I stand corrected. But, point still stands he has made more not being on the Patriots then he would have if given the chance to stay.

Sections
Shortcuts