Woulda, shoulda coulda...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Woulda, shoulda coulda...

The Ravens picked Dennis Pitta one pick after the Pats took AH...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: Woulda, shoulda coulda...

That doesn't matter!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

and if my aunt had balls she would be my Uncle.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Dennis Pitta in  College:  Pitta is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Pitta participated in a Mormon mission in the Dominican Republic,[3] which caused a two-year hiatus in his college football career.

Aarron Hernandez in College:At one point the tight end was suspended for a game at Florida for a drug test for marijuana and after heading to the Gators he also got into a fight with a bouncer at an off-campus bar. He was also questioned by police in a shooting and while he wasn't charged.

Well I guess BB and the scouting department missed that one.

Boom goes the dynamite! 

Did the scouting report miss that or did someone just choose to ignore it?

Can we have take a mulligan here?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Stop it! Pre-murder spree, was Pitta better than Hernandez?? Who knew that, after several very good seasons with the Pats, that AH would go off?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Just keeping the conversation going. Wondering who we might have picked if someone had said 'no, under any circumstances' to AH, as some teams reportedly did...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I'm not ready to crown someone a morally strong individual simply because they're a person of faith.

Silly thread.

Let's go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I did not mention him being a morally strong person, didn't know anything about his religion when I made the post. I just thought it was interesting that another tight end was taken directly after Hernandez. Hoomanawanui was taken 19 spots after AH. Hopefully he (or one of the other TEs) can make an impact and make us unremember that other guy...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Pitta isn't as talented as Hernandez, but in the long run Newsome may get more value from his pick than Belichick will get from his. 

From Yahoo Sports . . .

Pitta is one of the Ravens' most efficient receiving options, having caught just under two-thirds of the balls thrown his way in 2012. Considering that Joe Flacco completed less than 60 percent of his passes, Pitta's efficiency rate is that much more impressive.

Part of Pitta's excellent catch rate has to do with the way the Ravens use him. He is used most frequently on short routes, both from the slot and lined up as a tight end. On third downs especially, Pitta often makes the tough, short catches in traffic that take advantage of his sure hands.

In fact, Pitta has some of the surest hands in the NFL. Pitta's drop rate of 4.69 percent ranked third among tight ends targeted at least 75 times, just behind Jacob Tamme and the legendary Tony Gonzalez. Having a sure-handed safety valve like Pitta is crucial for a deep passing team like the Ravens. When nothing is open downfield, Pitta is always available and ready to make a play as a secondary option, even when well-covered. 

Pitta is so much more than just an outlet receiver, as his contributions to the deep passing game are often overlooked. Pitta's sneaky speed allows him to punish defenses that don't account for him, and the Ravens weren't afraid to push the ball to him down the field. Pitta's 11 deep targets were tied for fourth among all tight ends.

As one of the Ravens' best third down targets and a player who can make an impact in so many ways in the passing game, Pitta has to be a priority for the Ravens. Flacco relies on him, and that will be even more evident without Anquan Boldin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hernandez was a better player.

He may be a cold blooded killer in the mold of Dexter Morgan, but the guy was a better player than Pitta. Pitta dropped some balls in those playoffs...yeah he smoked Spikes, but almost any tight end can do that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

OK.  With what we know now, I wish the Pats never drafted Hernandez.  So now he's gone.  No different than a career ending injury from a pure fan's perspective.  So what other 4th round pick had that production for those 3 years.  Now Jake Ballard will replace him and he was free for the signing.

I'm just doing some football cost accounting and not talking about the hit to the brand.  I'm not saying it's a good thing.  I'm just talking about on the field.  

I guess I'm typing this chit and I'm trying to justify it.  Feel free to kick me in the crotch.

Sections
Shortcuts