Wow! bb is changing his spots totally this year! Mccourty to Safety Permanently.According to Lomabrdi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Wow! bb is changing his spots totally this year! Mccourty to Safety Permanently.According to Lomabrdi

The New England Patriots will permanently move Devin McCourty to safety, according to NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000089499/article/new-england-patriots-move-devin-mccourty-to-safety

id been hoping for movign mcc to safety as he doesnt move back and cover well, and with this talib move id especially hoped to keep dennard at corner and add talib there. 

i hoped for this but didnt expect bb to make that move. he has. im glad and also glad he's being more flexible than usual in adapting to what's needed.

now if bb plays more man the rest of the year, im going to wonder what someone did with bb :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Wow! bb is changing his spots totally this year! Mccourty to Safety Permanently.According to Lomabrdi

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The New England Patriots will permanently move Devin McCourty to safety, according to NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000089499/article/new-england-patriots-move-devin-mccourty-to-safety

id been hoping for movign mcc to safety as he doesnt move back and cover well, and with this talib move id especially hoped to keep dennard at corner and add talib there. 

i hoped for this but didnt expect bb to make that move. he has. im glad and also glad he's being more flexible than usual in adapting to what's needed.

now if bb plays more man the rest of the year, im going to wonder what someone did with bb :)

[/QUOTE]

the good news keeps coming!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Wow! bb is changing his spots totally this year! Mccourty to Safety Permanently.According to Lomabrdi

We'll see. Makes no difference if Flores, Boyer, Patricia, and BB don't change the defensive play calling or continue to stay vanilla.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Moving DMC to S makes the most sense in regards to getting your best DB/coverage talent on the field at the same time... the acquisition of Talib and development of Dennard made this possible... hopefully Talib takes advantage of this opportunity.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Moving DMC to S makes the most sense in regards to getting your best DB/coverage talent on the field at the same time... the acquisition of Talib and development of Dennard made this possible... hopefully Talib takes advantage of this opportunity.

[/QUOTE]

+1 my friend.

and the pats take advantage of this opportunity and bring home the lombardi!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I was hoping they would have stayed with this arrangment in the playoffs last season because he looked better there as they bled him in down the stretch. 

It covers his weaknesses (locating the ball in a turn, staying on/with a man) and plays to his strengths (driving to the ball, tackling, reading the play). 

I hope he learns quickly because the responsibility at safety is a lot greater. He needs to facilitate all the back end communication with his partner. He will also need to get his tackling angles down fast, because so much of playing safety is about playing in space with action in front of you as opposed to feeling the action happen behind you at CB. 

Also, Talib and Dennard together won't likely have worse results than what we have seen the last year or so at corner too. So this might be a win/win scenario. 

In short, I really really like that this move is happening. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Kind of surprised by this, athletically it looked like McCourty had the talent to play corner to me. In my opinion it was more a mental thing with him - he wouldn't turn his head, he'd lose guys behind him, he would be too far off in zones...but physically I thought he was right there. Does moving him to a position that he will have to make more decisions seem like a good idea?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kind of surprised by this, athletically it looked like McCourty had the talent to play corner to me. In my opinion it was more a mental thing with him - he wouldn't turn his head, he'd lose guys behind him, he would be too far off in zones...but physically I thought he was right there. Does moving him to a position that he will have to make more decisions seem like a good idea?

[/QUOTE]

hes got the talent to close.

i think hes looked better at s than corner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was hoping they would have stayed with this arrangment in the playoffs last season because he looked better there as they bled him in down the stretch. 

It covers his weaknesses (locating the ball in a turn, staying on/with a man) and plays to his strengths (driving to the ball, tackling, reading the play). 

I hope he learns quickly because the responsibility at safety is a lot greater. He needs to facilitate all the back end communication with his partner. He will also need to get his tackling angles down fast, because so much of playing safety is about playing in space with action in front of you as opposed to feeling the action happen behind you at CB. 

Also, Talib and Dennard together won't likely have worse results than what we have seen the last year or so at corner too. So this might be a win/win scenario. 

In short, I really really like that this move is happening. 

[/QUOTE]
    re:
    "I was hoping they would have stayed with this arrangment in the playoffs last season because he looked better there as they bled him in down the stretch. 

It covers his weaknesses (locating the ball in a turn, staying on/with a man) and plays to his strengths (driving to the ball, tackling, reading the play). "

---------------------------------------------------

response: exactly as i have it z.

re: "Talib and Dennard together won't likely have worse results than what we have seen the last year or so at corner too"

-----------------------------------------------------------

response: my friend that is an understatement. dennard can challenge for the ball. and we know what talib can do.

question is do they move to more man coverage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

First I have to say how does Lombardi know? Yes he is friends with BB, but did BB come out and make some sort of announcement? Just feels strange. 

Second, does this mean that one of our other 4 safeties is headed to ir? How does BB keep 5 safeties on the roster and play them all? Does ebner get cut? Chung headed to Ir? Again, seems strange.

I don't disagree with this move at All. I like it, just feels strange that this is so definitive

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First I have to say how does Lombardi know? Yes he is friends with BB, but did BB come out and make some sort of announcement? Just feels strange. 

Second, does this mean that one of our other 4 safeties is headed to ir? How does BB keep 5 safeties on the roster and play them all? Does ebner get cut? Chung headed to Ir? Again, seems strange.

I don't disagree with this move at All. I like it, just feels strange that this is so definitive

[/QUOTE]

i agree with your post. see link. 

it is staed in writing that lombardi says it pretty definitively "permanently". it woudol be a stupid thing to do if he didnt know for sure. or if there were an error in the languaging.

i sure wouldnt cut ebner.

i hope in a year or 2 he can become a good strong safety

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I don't know why McCourty can't play the bump and run, but he can't.  Maybe he has a permanent shoulder injury or something and he can't bump properly with his hands. If he can't play bump and run on any particular play, the rest of the NFL knows it and they can cheat accordingly. 

In any case, he plays free safety just fine.  Talib plays cornerback.  Controversy over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know why McCourty can't play the bump and run, but he can't.  Maybe he has a permanent shoulder injury or something and he can't bump properly with his hands. If he can't play bump and run on any particular play, the rest of the NFL knows it and they can cheat accordingly. 

In any case, he plays free safety just fine.  Talib plays cornerback.  Controversy over.

[/QUOTE]

hey paul i made teh same observations as you do above while watching games last year and this on the game threads.

although im not sure WHICH controversy you refer to above. do you mean problem solved?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree with your post. see link. 

it is staed in writing that lombardi says it pretty definitively "permanently". it woudol be a stupid thing to do if he didnt know for sure. or if there were an error in the languaging.

i sure wouldnt cut ebner.

i hope in a year or 2 he can become a good strong safety

[/QUOTE]

The for sure thing is what I have a problem with. When does BB  tip his hand? Why come out during a bye week and state this? Why give our next opponent a heads up on what we are doing? Just smells funny to me. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dmc is the anti revis

im hoping he can help us out at safety

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like it!  Now they just have to decide to play more man to man and less zone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it!  Now they just have to decide to play more man to man and less zone.

[/QUOTE]

yeah! i with you on that!

zone is like, here wrs. come sit here and, and here and here, we wont bother in those soft spots in our zone. you can complete passes all day there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think after his stellar rookie year at corner film started to show a tendency for him to lose his guy when he looked for the ball. Receivers started to exploit that and make a break whenever he looked back and by the time he recovered it was too late. Then he tried not looking back and let people catch the ball uncontested because he didn't see it.

This is an attempt to salvage a 1st round pick. Between Meriweather in the 1st and a bevy of blown seconds, BB needs to get something out of this guy. That pure technique of being able to look back and still quickly adjust a corner needs isn't so much one a safety needs. This just might work, and BB's big trade makes it feasible.

I'd love to see McC turn into a solid or even great safety. Lord knows we need that too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good this seems like his more natural position imo. He's much better when the play is in front of him and he has a chance to break it down in his head. He can also help put people in the right position. Overall he might be a better suited FS then CB.

Next year I hope they spend some cash and get Grimes. He'll be the best CB FA on the market in a very weak CB market this next off-season

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Safety position is strong in the Draft, this year.

[/QUOTE]

But, BB picking DB's isn't. I'm hoping BB sticks closer to both the lines again this year. That seems to be his strong suit and the further you get away from the lines the worse he tends to pick. Personally I'm hoping he goes OL, and interior DL this year. Maybe take a chance on DB's late (like with Dennard) but keep at it with the lines where he tends to be one of the best drafters in the game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Safety position is strong in the Draft, this year.

[/QUOTE]

But, BB picking DB's isn't. I'm hoping BB sticks closer to both the lines again this year. That seems to be his strong suit and the further you get away from the lines the worse he tends to pick. Personally I'm hoping he goes OL, and interior DL this year. Maybe take a chance on DB's late (like with Dennard) but keep at it with the lines where he tends to be one of the best drafters in the game

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm hoping for OL and DL (DT would be preferable to help Big Vince but another DE would be fine too). I think we can wait another year before having to worry about WR (though if BB lets Welker walk, maybe not), and I'd prefer to see us deal with CB/S through FA (if the price is right...). 

Sections
Shortcuts