Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Re: Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN!

Golf is the damnedest thing...it's a sport like trying to stack BB's after hiking a couple of miles with a 60 lb pack.  I'd rather challenge my athleticism as a drinker with a running problem...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Golf is DEFINATELY a sport, because like skeet-shooting, bobsleding, drag racing and driving a grocery carriage through the grocery store, You have to be coordinated to play Golf...And just like professional poker, olympic curling, shuffleboard, and picking which groceries to send through the check-out aisle so they can be bagged properly, Golf requires well-planned, thought-out skills. 

Now, regarding ESPN, ALL I have to say is....I deleted that worthless channel of frauds.  IF You're not gonna toe the line to my general world view, and ALWAYS adhere to my overall set-standards of ethoses, You're simply without any credibility whatsoever...See no evil (or minor difference of opinion), hear no evil, that's what I say. 

~Perhaps IF ESPN hung the Patriots' Championship Banners behind ALL Announcing Desks, Then maybe after a decade or so, I'd "undelete" their channel, BUT until then, Those guys are just gonna have to wallow in the misery of losing ME, a long-time minor viewer of their shows, AND suffer the nondescript fallout of NOT getting my completely unaccounted for market share...  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

GOLF A SPORT? LMAO.... Thats like saying The Nascar Drivers and Pro Bowlers are top Athletes... Please give us a break. Whats next, calling the guy who eats the most hamburgers a supermodel?  If you are not running and competeing hand to hand with another human being its not a sport, PERIOD!  Thats like the Idiots on the Pro Poker Players tour giving stats and backgrounds on half the Winoes in the rooms! What a freakin Joke!   Oh....Heres Harvy Wallbanger, hes been playing cards now for 2.5 years and besides being a constant nose picker he likes to eat stale jelly donuts. Just look at the way he picks his seat folks! Pure Stupidity! But thats just my opinion. Cards anyone?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN!:
    [QUOTE]THE ALL 22 GAME TAPE is great, thats the coaches tape. Playbook on the nfl network will break it down, also nfl matchup on espn. Although U have to be a night owl like me to watch it, I think its only on at like 3am. Espn is a joke, nfl live, primetime, thats a dog$hit sandwhich. Matchup is good, n playbook I like, but these guys like Mark Schelereth, Jamie Dukes, Marshell Faulk, etc. need to be put to sleep, after being nudered w/ a rusty fork n spoon.
    Posted by SICOFITALL[/QUOTE]

I'd j*zz in my pants if they ever started a network where they broadcast games in 22-wide.

I *hate* not being able to watch coverages and passing plays develop because the camera is focused on the QB and the line of scrimmage.  You see a lot of cool stuff when you're there in person (like how safeties really do give Moss an extra 5-10 yards, or how a tight end or slot receiver runs a seam route perfectly in order to draw both the linebacker/corner and the safety to clear space for crossing patterns).

There was one play that stood out to me that showed that Moss wasn't slacking off: He runs right into the corner and extends his arms to clear the corner out because he's not involved in the play.  Sammy Morris comes out of the backfield and runs a quick out.  The problem is threefold: first, most people don't watch football intelligently.  They look, they say, 'ohh, look it's the ball!' and they largely ignore the other 21 players on the field.  Second, TV focuses on certain areas and you don't get to see everything that's happening.  Third, Morris dropped the f*ck*ng pass.

But if you watch the highlights, you could see Moss blocking for a Maroney sweep to the left (and doing a good job blocking for that matter).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Golf does take alot of hand eye coordination, no less than baseball, if not more. Only difference between a golfer and a DH in baseball is the DH will have to run occasionally . . .
    Posted by pochen23[/QUOTE]

That, and the ball is just sitting there on the ground.

I've never tried to hit a 97 mph heater, but I'm willing to bet I couldn't do it. On the other hand, I've hit every golf ball I ever took a swing at, and while I can't make it do what Tiger can, I do have the ability to walk around a golf course behind it (and carry my own clubs while I'm at it -- let's see Tiger do THAT).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Golf does take alot of hand eye coordination, no less than baseball, if not more. Only difference between a golfer and a DH in baseball is the DH will have to run occasionally when they get a hit, but I am pretty sure Tiger can run faster than Ortiz if needed. It all depends on how you look at it. I personally think it should be called a sport, just cuz I know how hard it is to hit a golf ball 300 yards down the fairway, it is up there with being able to throw the ball 90 mph, you are born with that kind of talent.

Requires hand-eye coordination?
    So does Madden, but that doesn't make me an all-world athlete.

On a more serious note, darts, World of Warcraft, solitaire, and cup-and-ball-on-a-string take dexterity and skill.  Those are games, but they don't make the people who do these things athletes.

Sure, Tiger trains and is in excellent shape, but when people like that Daly guy can be fat, out-of-shape alcoholics and perform the actions necessary to play golf, it makes me question the validity of the "sport"

Maybe I'm confusing "sports" with "athletics," but to me they were always one in the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

Hitting a 97 mph heating is not very hard if you know it is coming and you keep trying and timing it. Eventually you should hit it. That doesn't mean you can hit that in the game with ball going different location, change speed etc. That's why there are plenty of guys who can go to batting cage and hit 95mph heater there but can't do it in real game. The same goes for golf, you can hit it the way you want it, say you hit the ball 10 yards, but there is a difference between hitting it with authority and procision and hitting it for fun.

On the other hand, compare golf to video game. Well, video game requires your fingers not your whole body. Try to swing a golf club with your fingers and let's see how far you hit. The more body part is involved, the harder it is to "coordinate". The last time I checked, to hit a golf ball far and fair you need to use your whole body to swing it. I don't think you tear your MCL playing video game, but Tiger did. While it is rare for a golfer to have the same kind of injury as Tiger, it tells the story of how much movement is generated from a swing of the club. Also keep this in mind, golf has only gone popular since Tiger started dominating, and IMO changed the whole game and turned it into a sport. So it is pointless to say that while Tiger might be an athlete, the rest aren't. The thing is, the next generation of golfers are going to be playing the same style of game and will be built the same way.

I am sure anyone with enough practice can bowl 200+ points occasionally, which is high enough to win a professional game (trust me, I used to watch bowling), but the problem is consistency. While professional bowler average 220 points, normal ppl might average 150. When it comes to golf, it is not just about consistency, there is certain level that you can spend your life and won't reach, and that certain level is body coordination which we call athleticism. You can practice all you want, if you don't have the athleticism, you will never be able to throw 90 mph, you don't occasionally hit that mark. Same as golf, you don't occasionally hit 300 drive down the fair way, you either can or you can't. Video game, with practice, can also be done. There isn't a level that you can't reach cuz less coordination is required.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]It's easy to dismiss golf and say it's not a sport when you see some of the fatbellies on the tour. But, if you can overlook the physical punishment of boxing and football, golf is the most difficult to master. I think the top players are amazing. It's also amazing to watch people like Mickelson and Harrington miss easy shots and make an eight and look like a beginner. And speaking of boxing, Mayweather and Pacquiao deserve consideration as Athlete Of The Decade. 
    Posted by Yapple[/QUOTE]
    I agree 100%. Most people that say gold isn't a sport hasn't tried it. It might look easy on TV, but until you get on the links you'll never know. Think it's easy to drive a golf ball 300 yards without a hook or slice? Think again. People spend their entire lives trying to master certain techniquest, and as soon as you do some other error pops up. Golf requires knowledge as well. You don't just go out there and hit the ball. You need to know what club use. Should I use the 5 iron or the 9? Lob wedge or pitching wedge?

I used to think gold was a joke sport as well. Then I tried it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Golf's a sport . . . just a tediously dull one best suited for middle-aged men who can't move very fast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

[QUOTE]Golf does take alot of hand eye coordination, no less than baseball, if not more. Only difference between a golfer and a DH in baseball is the DH will have to run occasionally when they get a hit, but I am pretty sure Tiger can run faster than Ortiz if needed. It all depends on how you look at it. I personally think it should be called a sport, just cuz I know how hard it is to hit a golf ball 300 yards down the fairway, it is up there with being able to throw the ball 90 mph, you are born with that kind of talent.

a golf ball is set on a Tee.
    a baseball can be going 100 mph and moving all over the place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

baseball is bigger, your bat head is bigger, there is more room for error. You can hit the ball with the tip of your bat and get a hit and is considered a success, you can get jammed and get a bloop and get a hit and is considered a success, you can even draw a walk without ever needing to swing the bat and is considered a success. The thing is, you can do all that to be successful in baseball, a good player only need to be successful 30% of the time cuz it is hard. Golf all is set on a tee, yes, in a sense easier, but you have absolutely no room for error. Your club is also traveling 100 mph and you need to hit the ball squarely for it to go straight and far. Your club is also a weird shaped tool that any different angle on the contact of the ball will result in ball traveling differently. Easier in comparison to hitting something that is traveling, but you don't have the margin of error. What is amazing about those PGA players is that, they don't miss. You see it on TV that they hit it to the tree, hit it to the bunker, those shots are those that you go to driving range and be like, damn, that's a nice shot. Those professional golf course, the fairway is so narrow it is not even funny. You can't appreciate it enough til you try it or simply go to the course and see those pros perform.

I mean, if it is so easy cuz it is set on a T, then Junior Griffey, who loves golf, should be better than Tiger Woods cuz he is good at a much difficult sport. I don't think he will tell you it is much easier to hit a golf ball than a baseball.

And I think most of you have seen this, the last part when he hit the ball while it is traveling. Hard stuff to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oTMosZ76b8

This is Griffey's input on golf:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_5_50/ai_54539790/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN!:
    [QUOTE]Skip Bayless says Tom Brady is the AP Athlete of the decade--not Tiger Woods Merrill Hodge studied the coaches tapes and explains why Moss was NOT dogging it and Steve Young agrees  Hodge pointed out that the blocking he did and just being on the field helped the Patriots Young feels Randy is playing hurt. Also Bayless feels Brady did everything he could do to win the last SB and if SAMUEL had held on to the interception the Patriots would have won.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons why ESPN is making "nice" may be because they don't want to give Moss and the Pats a rallying cause, to spur them on the rest of the season. 

Make no mistake about it...the media hates BB and the Pats.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"a golf ball is set on a Tee.
    a baseball can be going 100 mph and moving all over the place."

A golf ball is also just sitting there on the nice smooth green ( that is, after however many strokes it took to get to the green ). Then all you have to do is make it roll into the cup, which is also just sitting there. Child's play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]~Golf is DEFINATELY a sport, because like skeet-shooting, bobsleding, drag racing and driving a grocery carriage through the grocery store, You have to be coordinated to play Golf...And just like professional poker, olympic curling, shuffleboard, and picking which groceries to send through the check-out aisle so they can be bagged properly, Golf requires well-planned, thought-out skills.  Now, regarding ESPN, ALL I have to say is....I deleted that worthless channel of frauds.  IF You're not gonna toe the line to my general world view, and ALWAYS adhere to my overall set-standards of ethoses, You're simply without any credibility whatsoever...See no evil (or minor difference of opinion), hear no evil, that's what I say.  ~ Perhaps IF ESPN hung the Patriots' Championship Banners behind ALL Announcing Desks, Then maybe after a decade or so, I'd "undelete" their channel, BUT until then, Those guys are just gonna have to wallow in the misery of losing ME, a long-time minor viewer of their shows, AND  suffer the nondescript fallout of NOT getting my completely unaccounted for market share...  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Now I don't need to muster a response. And I got to laugh too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN! : I agree 100%. Most people that say gold isn't a sport hasn't tried it. It might look easy on TV, but until you get on the links you'll never know. Think it's easy to drive a golf ball 300 yards without a hook or slice? Think again. People spend their entire lives trying to master certain techniquest, and as soon as you do some other error pops up. Golf requires knowledge as well. You don't just go out there and hit the ball. You need to know what club use. Should I use the 5 iron or the 9? Lob wedge or pitching wedge? I used to think gold was a joke sport as well. Then I tried it.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

That isn't true.

A lot of people have played golf that don't consider it a sport. I have played golf and do not consider it a sport. You do need a certain amount of skill, but you don't need athleticism. It doesn't hurt, but it is not a requirement. To me, golf is akin to darts - a lot of skill, but that is where it ends.

And this applies to the professional levels as well. If one considers golf a real sport, then one really needs to include competitive eating and race car driving, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Not a sport....why?....John Daly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Not a sport....why?....John Daly.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

Now, if John Daly were playing golf while driving his car and eating a huge sub and smoking and sending text messages, then I would say it is a sport just because I would love to see that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Skip and Broke back brady used to date -no?
    Posted by fredericknittle[/QUOTE]

Are those the nicknames Peyton and Kenney Chesney use for each other? I don't get it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN! :      One of the reasons why ESPN is making "nice" may be because they don't want to give Moss and the Pats a rallying cause, to spur them on the rest of the season.       Make no mistake about it...the media hates BB and the Pats.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Well I  noticed a change when they launched the new Boston.com.I'm sure they want that to succeed and bashing the Patriots isn't the way to make that happen

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Hey GAMER!   Any "shirt" offer this week if Brady plays through his injuries for 3 TDs and 300+ yards?????????  YOU look even better than you did three years ago on the "old board."  Heard anything from Hoggie lately?????????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow can't believe what I'm hearing on ESPN! : Well I  noticed a change when they launched the new Boston.com.I'm sure they want that to succeed and bashing the Patriots isn't the way to make that happen
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

I thought so, too, although watch some of the anchors do the Boston SportsCenter and I could have sworn they hated doing it.  They looked like they might be passing kidney stones at times...  I don't watch it anymore for this same reason.

As for hating on the Patriots, there's a huge market for that - I didn't realize how many people hated the Patriots until living in New York this year and meeting people from all over who hate them.  It's actually quite shocking.

But if it gets them viewership, ESPN will do it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

here is the latest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/moss-dodges-reporters/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Hitting a 97 mph heating is not very hard if you know it is coming and you keep trying and timing it. Eventually you should hit it. That doesn't mean you can hit that in the game with ball going different location, change speed etc. That's why there are plenty of guys who can go to batting cage and hit 95mph heater there but can't do it in real game. The same goes for golf, you can hit it the way you want it, say you hit the ball 10 yards, but there is a difference between hitting it with authority and procision and hitting it for fun. On the other hand, compare golf to video game. Well, video game requires your fingers not your whole body. Try to swing a golf club with your fingers and let's see how far you hit. The more body part is involved, the harder it is to "coordinate". The last time I checked, to hit a golf ball far and fair you need to use your whole body to swing it. I don't think you tear your MCL playing video game, but Tiger did. While it is rare for a golfer to have the same kind of injury as Tiger, it tells the story of how much movement is generated from a swing of the club. Also keep this in mind, golf has only gone popular since Tiger started dominating, and IMO changed the whole game and turned it into a sport. So it is pointless to say that while Tiger might be an athlete, the rest aren't. The thing is, the next generation of golfers are going to be playing the same style of game and will be built the same way. I am sure anyone with enough practice can bowl 200+ points occasionally, which is high enough to win a professional game (trust me, I used to watch bowling), but the problem is consistency. While professional bowler average 220 points, normal ppl might average 150. When it comes to golf, it is not just about consistency, there is certain level that you can spend your life and won't reach, and that certain level is body coordination which we call athleticism. You can practice all you want, if you don't have the athleticism, you will never be able to throw 90 mph, you don't occasionally hit that mark. Same as golf, you don't occasionally hit 300 drive down the fair way, you either can or you can't. Video game, with practice, can also be done. There isn't a level that you can't reach cuz less coordination is required.

This last part intrigues me.  I wonder if, with enough strength training, most people could torque enough to drive a ball at least 250 yards... 

Well said, though. You haven't won me over (I can't help but look at the picture of John Daly that the other guy posted), but it's hard to argue with what you said.

Daly may not fit the stereotype of the athlete, but I think you could say the same thing about most linemen in the NFL, too.  If you saw Wilfork and you didn't know who he was, I bet you'd think the same thing of him... but the problem is that you can't look like an athlete in a game that you play wearing street clothes.

I think you can teach coordination as long as you start young.  I think coordination is more of an environmental factor and a product of repetitions and practice.

Talent, though (being the physical ability to hit a ball far, build up muscle strength and explosiveness), defines an athlete, regardless of appearance.  Accuracy can be trained just like endurance, but I'll never run as fast as Usain Bolt.  If the same applies to hitting a golf ball far, then it definitely is cause for consideration.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

btw John Daly is a nice 185 pound now. Not that it matters... have you seen Prince Fielder?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

[QUOTE]Hey GAMER!   Any "shirt" offer this week if Brady plays through his injuries for 3 TDs and 300+ yards?????????  YOU look even better than you did three years ago on the "old board."  Heard anything from Hoggie lately?????????
    Posted by bradleyBliss[/QUOTE]
    Oink !  Blissman ! I do check in from time to time, especially if I notice posts from old friends. Gamer's lead me here, as a matter of fact, and I've got to say that I felt the same way Bayless did when Tiger got the nod for "AOTC", why not Tom Brady ? WTFahk ? Over !

Hey, accept the Hog as your posting pal and let's stay in touch. Whaddayasay, professor ?