Wow...same exact Blitz with much different results

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wow...same exact Blitz with much different results

I know its taboo around here not to consider Jerod Mayo one of the all time greats but I have to bring this up since it part of the narrative.

Week 1 Mayo comes on a Blitz up the middle and is met by the RB, Tied up, pushed back a bit and the Eagles hit on a long TD pass.

Fast forward to Thursday night.  Spikes on the same Blitz, Blows up the RB in route to a monstrous and momentum building sack.

This is what I expect and haven't seen from Mayo.  This is the type of play good LB’s make.  Hopefully Jerod is watching lots of film or he just might find himself spending more time on the bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Wow...same exact Blitz with much different results

Well I think the imporant thing here is to let Spikes stay in the box and blitz on occassion, and keep Mayo in the intermediate part of the field waiting on a run and playing coverage.  Let Spikes, Hightower, Kelly and Nink worry about behind the line of play.   

Send Mayo on a blitz on a rare occassion to mix it up, and I'd say the same about Collins and Fletcher.  These guys play side line to side line better than Spikes and Hightower.  

Got to let these guys play to their strengths. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I know its taboo around here not to consider Jerod Mayo one of the all time greats but I have to bring this up since it part of the narrative.

Week 1 Mayo comes on a Blitz up the middle and is met by the RB, Tied up, pushed back a bit and the Eagles hit on a long TD pass.

Fast forward to Thursday night.  Spikes on the same Blitz, Blows up the RB in route to a monstrous and momentum building sack.

This is what I expect and haven't seen from Mayo.  This is the type of play good LB’s make.  Hopefully Jerod is watching lots of film or he just might find himself spending more time on the bench.

I've always wondered if BB's emphasis on playing by the "system" takes away from individual talent/individual stats.

That being said, Mayo looked pretty good in pre-season when Haynesworth was signed.....then during the regular season; it appeared that either Mayo was a step too slow or that the coaches made him adhere to the system...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]

Two different teams, two different blocking schemes, two different backs blocking. We don't know if Spikes would have had the same results against the Eagles. Although I do agree Spikes hits much harder than Mayo. I also agree that Mayo is better in coverage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Two different types of players..we're talking about one of, if not the hardest LB hitter in the game right now..Jerod to me is more of a tactician, more cerebral,finese, Spikes is all about instincts, hard-hitting, downhill type of LB..brute force.. It's a great mix on that LB corps...

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

Two different types of players..we're talking about one of, if not the hardest LB hitter in the game right now..Jerod to me is more of a tactician, more cerebral,finese, Spikes is all about instincts, hard-hitting, downhill type of LB..brute force.. It's a great mix on that LB corps...

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

now, if Mayo only had Spikes instincts and attitude. I still think Spikes has just as much impact on the game than Mayo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Apropos of nothing - I just finally saw the 2nd half this morning.  Was it me or did Brady and Spikes have dinner and a movie together? Every 3rd sideline shot was the 2 of them chatting.  

I figured it was a convo on the pains of the paparazzi...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:

Apropos of nothing - I just finally saw the 2nd half this morning.  Was it me or did Brady and Spikes have dinner and a movie together? Every 3rd sideline shot was the 2 of them chatting.  

LOL I was going to mention this.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to fatsam72's comment:

Funny you say that sam,  I made a commit during the game thread about those two chatting it up on the sidelines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If only that Belichick guy could see that Mayo sux?

"Defense Wins Championships"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Maybe Brady is trying to keep Spikes nearby, keeping him in line.  Remember how Brady remarked that Hernandez and Spikes was a handful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Maybe Brady and Spikes are teammates sharing and bonding. Over analyze too much?

Maybe Brady is trying to keep Spikes from making a Wes type mistake, maybe this or maybe that.

I think it shows teamwork and kindredness and without hearing what they were saying it would be hard to guess right on what was going on.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Spikes has better instincts for the position...he's also a power player...lot of weight, size and attitude. These two guys are as different as you'll find.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It is funny because no has said he is an all time great, but you basically has said if he isn't a HOFer he is waste of a pick and roster spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is funny because no has said he is an all time great, but you basically has said if he isn't a HOFer he is waste of a pick and roster spot.

[/QUOTE]

What kind of return do you expect from a top 10 pick who signed a 5 year $48.5 million extention with $25 million guaranteed?  Maybe my expectations are to high expecting someone who could run through a RB. Lol.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mayo has 650 tackles, 8 FF's, 5 fumble recoveries, and 7.5 sacks in 5 years as a Patriot.

Spikes has 200 tackles, 5 FF's, 0 fumble recoveries and 1 sack in 3 years as a Patriot.

Doublle Spikes career giving him 6 years and he still doesn't match what Mayo has done in 5 years. I'm glad the preseason game you watched tells you Spikes is good at rushing the QB while Mayo isn't but the rest of us live in a world where reality actually counts.

Maybe if Spikes continues to learn from a great all around ILB like Mayo he will continue to back him up on this team, but realistically Spikes will be gone after this season while Mayo stays a N.E Patriot, and  continues to be one of the best ILBers in the league for years to come....and I'm sure he will drag a "fan" like you kicking and screaming the entire way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I don't know man, The warnings are out. We're talking Cap hell with that $48.5 million after next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I dont know about Spikes future here longterm, but it def. looks like Hightower may be better than him in certain areas. He looks to have finally stop thinking and is playing on instincts. I like when he slipped past the fullback and blew up the run play but most time coaches want you to take on the f/b. Either way, our backers will be better this year and # 91 will be spelling spikes and Mayo in certain situations. Good problem to have I say.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Poor queenie he still doesn't understand how BB runs his offense. Bwahaha

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What kind of return do you expect from a top 10 pick who signed a 5 year $48.5 million extention with $25 million guaranteed?  Maybe my expectations are to high expecting someone who could run through a RB. Lol.  

[/QUOTE]

So according to the great tcal2 you can only judge on LB on sacks on blitzes. We don't need to rehash this because you made it clear serveral times this the only you determine value at that position. The fact you overvalue a LB who can't play in pass coverage and is just a MLB, while undervalue one of the better LB who can play 3 different LB positions really tells the rest of this board what type of judge of talent you are. I personally wouldn't want to be viewed in the manner you are on this board but that is just me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So according to the great tcal2 you can only judge on LB on sacks on blitzes. We don't need to rehash this because you made it clear serveral times this the only you determine value at that position. The fact you overvalue a LB who can't play in pass coverage and is just a MLB, while undervalue one of the better LB who can play 3 different LB positions really tells the rest of this board what type of judge of talent you are. I personally wouldn't want to be viewed in the manner you are on this board but that is just me.

[/QUOTE]

That's a bit mean BJ5.  This is a discussion board after all.  If we all thought alike and agreed on every topic this would be a very boring place.  I don't mind bringing a different view at times.  I brought up a specific play and opened up a discussion.

I like to think I'm viewed as a good poster.  I don't attack other posters, try to keep things light and always try to invoke passion from others when I start a thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

"So according to the great tcal2 you can only judge on LB on sacks on blitzes. We don't need to rehash this because you made it clear serveral times this the only you determine value at that position. The fact you overvalue a LB who can't play in pass coverage and is just a MLB, while undervalue one of the better LB who can play 3 different LB positions really tells the rest of this board what type of judge of talent you are. I personally wouldn't want to be viewed in the manner you are on this board but that is just me

i agree 100% on mayo, he has been nothing but a good player for this team for a long time. he isnt a flashy player, but he is a solid tackler and he seems to always be in the right place. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Guys, 

I watched the game again (have NFL preseason pass) and the RB actually ran into the QB before trying to block Spikes.

Not taking anything away from Spikes - he may still have gotten the sack - but the RB was disrupted before his assignment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to PatFanInBA2's comment:

Guys, 

I watched the game again (have NFL preseason pass) and the RB actually ran into the QB before trying to block Spikes.

Not taking anything away from Spikes - he may still have gotten the sack - but the RB was disrupted before his assignment.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kelly blow that play up and get to the QB first but Spikes ultimately took him down?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No it was Spikes sack.  He was there before Kelly.

<br/><a href="http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enajgp.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>