Wow...same exact Blitz with much different results

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Wow...same exact Blitz with much different results

In response to PatFanInBA2's comment:

Guys, 

I watched the game again (have NFL preseason pass) and the RB actually ran into the QB before trying to block Spikes.

Not taking anything away from Spikes - he may still have gotten the sack - but the RB was disrupted before his assignment.

How dare you mention the blocker being off balance after running into his own QB. ;-)

The bigger standout and maddening point for me is how Spikes later had a very similar easy and clear path stright up the gut thanks to the Dline and right into a stacked I backfield BUT instead of just running over the upback and throwing him into the tailback he tries to be tinkerbell and sidstep around the upback running himself right out of the play.

Last week T-cal would have you believe Mayo got "jacked-up" yet Spikes who is even a bigger LB doesn't even contain the play by taking on the lead blocker trying instead to step around him.

Unfortunatley Spikes runs himself out of the play far too much for my liking guessing at the wrong hole as well.

In fairness to Spikes I only recall the play from the single one time seeing it live. I do not have the game recorded so if I am wrong someone can just say so and I will take your word for it. I seem to remeber the play going for a pretty decent gain as well, right where Spikes vacated.

Certainly might be misremembering it all but I seem to remember yelling at the TV about that play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^^umm, eye issues.  The top image clearly shows the QB in Spikes grasp with Kelly 2 yards away. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

LOL.....nice attempt though, Rusty.  Just Spikes about to level the RB.  No one else blowing anything up.

<br/><a href="http://oi39.tinypic.com/73o5d4.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

No it was Spikes sack.  He was there before Kelly.

<br/><a href="http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enajgp.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

Tcal is right. Spikes did get to the QB first. However, Kelly took his blocker off which opened the A gap for Spikes.

The point I was trying to make was regardign comparison to Mayo - I have not reviewed the other play with Mayo, so can't comment on the comparison between the two. Just that the defender Spikes blew up was hindered.  The commentator made a statement about this as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

check out - http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/index/_/count/16

point #4 analyses this play in more detail - excerpt below..

"4. How did Brandon Spikes get a near clear path to quarterback Josh Freeman on his opening-play sack? Well, with a little help from defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, who was aligned as a "3" technique on the play (on the outside shoulder of the guard). Kelly swiveled to his right upon the snap, forcing the right guard to work to his left, clearing the "B" gap for Spikes to run through. The last layer of protection for Freeman was running back Doug Martin, but a poor play fake left Martin a step behind. Spikes subsequently ran through Martin and corralled Freeman for the sack. Good execution by both Spikes and Kelly. "

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

week 1

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013080902/2013/PRE1/patriots@eagles?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Sections
Shortcuts