Wozzy - Is Laura Maroney a Keeper? Is he our future? How'd he do in playoff game vs. Ravens?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Wozzy - Is Laura Maroney a Keeper? Is he our future? How'd he do in playoff game vs. Ravens?

" Bubba,

Wozzy has never in 3500+ posts given a significant post on why Maroney is a "stud" RB as he referred to him in a earlier thread this year. His only argumnt is that he has averaged over 4ypc. He might not have liked my statistical analysis, but how about backing up your point of view other than saying "your stats are twisted" or whatever BS response he has given.

I'm telling you. This is all about Wozzy dropping $259.00 on an authentic Maroney jersey. He should have just stuck with a replica or dropped the bones on a authentic Brady jersey." 4Adam
    ---------------

:)
    I have an "authentic" Welker jersey that I paid $50. Friend got it for me in Korea, but it looks like the real thing......lmao

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Wozzy - Is Laura Maroney a Keeper? Is he our future? How'd he do in playoff game vs. Ravens?

The elephant in the film room is the offensive line. While I agree that Maroney has not fulfilled expectations (injuries) I also believe that blocking assignments have broken down both on pass protection and in the running game. When you have a RB by committee you won't find a feature back with stellar pro bowl numbers. Hate to say it, but if you look at the Jets success in the running game it is partly due to the line (Ferguson, Fanaca et al) and quality of their backs (Jones Washington etc..). I still believe that the Patriots need a power back that punish the defensive line and win field position games. If opposing DCs know what the offense is going to do with a specific formation then they can put 8 in the box and stuff the run. It all comes down to making the most with the personel that you have. People talk about Favre as potential MVP, but the Vikes are nothing without AP being a key component to any opposing DCs game plan.

Who are the Patriots offensive weapons ? Welker, Moss and Brady. Take them out of any offensive equation and you have a shot at beating the Pats. If the Pats had a of stable backs that surpassed expectations and were a legitmate threat against good defenses eg: Ravens, Steelers etc...  (see 2008 and 2007) then we have more continuity on offense. If any offense becomes predictable, it is only a matter of time before opposing DCs exploit the weaknesses and take out our best players. This is strongly adherent to what Belichick has done with his defenses in the past, but you NEED to have the right personel to succeed. You can't blame the lack of post-season success entirely on one player. That makes no sense at all.

Maroney is what, 25 years old and has overcome some injuries. He still has better numbers than McFadden and yet nearly everyone was clamoring for Run DMC to fall to the Pats (we'd have DMC, but no Mayo). Anyone that was expecting Maroney to become Adrian Peterson is a moron. Point is that Maroney has yet to live up to the expectations fans expect from a 1st round pick. The offense under Weis and Mc Daniels clearly had an identity and the right personel to execute the gameplan. The issue I've had all year is that this offense seems to lack an identity and the playcalling has been suspect. Their is plenty of blame to go around and any fan can point to various players or coaches and assess blame; it's much easier to do that than to provide adequete solutions (2nd round picks ?).

The chief function of media pundits like Rome, Kornheiser, and Wilbon is to make controversial and, at times, antigonistic statements that garner limited notoriety
    (eg: take Brady's knee out) Line these guys up across from the competition the actual players face and the ER would be filled with ruptured spleens, multiple contusions, various abrasions and broken bones.....it is even when athletes are peak shape...I don't see Bob Ryan pulling a George Plimpton Lion in the Winter any time soon and it's all a PR stunt anyway.

The Patriots are team in transition and the 2009, 2010, and 2011 drafts will be very important for the future of the team. You'd be very niave to think that every player we draft in those years is going to be an impact player immediately. I can't stand petulant players, but placing unrealistic expections on average players is just as annoying. Anyone can discuss the problems. Try providing solutions and then have those solutions subjected to intense public scrutiny. Now couple that with an ardent belief in instant gratification (why is Brace not as good as Ngata or Cofield) and you have an army of Monday morning QBs and aspiring GMs that know considerably less about football than the NE braintrust.

Belichick has alot on his plate right now, however, after a 10-6 season and an early playoff exit, I don't believe that any obstacles the PAtriots face as a team are insurmountable. We reload this off season and come back an AFC contender next year. We have had huge personel and coaching losses in the last five years that were difficult for players and fans to adapt to. You have to employ some patience. You just don't throw down your ADD crayons and whine incessantly. That won't resolve anything. You go back to the drawing board correct the mistakes, recoup, and come back stronger.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hannah,

It's alot easier to throw all the blame on the back of one player and be done with it as far as the peanut gallery is concerned.  That's probably how they deal with all the problems in life that they've been dealt... find somebody to blame.  Facts be damned...

The simple fact is that Laurence Maroney has been our starter for three seasons and has been effective when healthy.  I never said he was a superstar or couldn't improve, as he very well could and should being a young player, but to throw him on the scrap heap or to say he is some how to blame for the offensive coordinator not calling running plays as some here suggest is silly. 

I still believe his best football is ahead of him and if he is willing to sign a reasonable contract extension, why not? 

Ask the Bears if they would like to have Cedric Benson back and see what they're reply would be?  Check out Bensons stats for the Bears and ask why he wasn't effective there but is for the Bengals...  you're right, there is enough blame to go around starting at the top.  We certainly can't lay this loss at the feet of a player that didn't play...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Laurence Maroney has been a very solid back when he wasn't injured.  Sadly he has been injured a couple of times, and they were both very serious injuries.  Also up until his two key fumbles this year, he has been one of the least fumble prone backs in the league.

I've always thought the problem has never really been with Maroney, but how we utilize him.  He has certain strenghts and weaknesses that I think our Offensive Coordinator needs to factor into his play calling.  Take advantage of your personell!  Although he has shown flashes of success in this area, I don't think he is a bruising back you can just have rush up the middle into defenders.  He does a little too much dancing looking for the big hole to pay dirt.  Instead, let's get him out in the open first ala Marshal Faulk, and get him more involved in the passing game.  He's got the hands for it, and has proven deadly when he is in open space.

I also don't know if he can ever handle the whole load and be the "man".  We will need a change of pace true bruiser for goal line and short yardage situations.  These days that's pretty much the norm around the league though anyway, so no big deal.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

with this offensive coordinator, we could have Chris Johnson and you would have no idea how good he is because he wouldnt get the carries or be used correctly. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

agill1970, btownteamsrking

I agree completely, either we hire someone like Chan Gailey or a college guy schooled in the system we use or go in a differen't direction completely.

Was 2001 so long ago that people have forgotten how we won our first ring..?  Run the ball and play defense, we did neither with any consistancy this year.  Coaching is key... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"

Laurence Maroney has been a very solid back when he wasn't injured.  Sadly he has been injured a couple of times, and they were both very serious injuries.  Also up until his two key fumbles this year, he has been one of the least fumble prone backs in the league.

I've always thought the problem has never really been with Maroney, but how we utilize him.  He has certain strenghts and weaknesses that I think our Offensive Coordinator needs to factor into his play calling.  Take advantage of your personell!  Although he has shown flashes of success in this area, I don't think he is a bruising back you can just have rush up the middle into defenders.  He does a little too much dancing looking for the big hole to pay dirt.  Instead, let's get him out in the open first ala Marshal Faulk, and get him more involved in the passing game.  He's got the hands for it, and has proven deadly when he is in open space.

I also don't know if he can ever handle the whole load and be the "man".  We will need a change of pace true bruiser for goal line and short yardage situations.  These days that's pretty much the norm around the league though anyway, so no big deal." AGILL
    ----------------------

I had similar thoughts early on when Maroney was injured, but here are some known problems.

1) He is not an inside runner. I think this is cause by his unwillingness to change his running style (can't stop dancing, doesn't make himself "small" at the line of scrimmange) - and lack of vision. I believe this is why BB is spending so much extra time with Maroney

So, I thought - why can't we use him like Kevin Faulk - get him in "open" space where he has room to run. He certainly has good enough speed to outrun people in open space. Although his hands are good enough to catch, his skills at blocking leaves a lot of room to be desired. I believe this is one of the reasons why BB decides to go w/ Faulk for play-action plays because the RB needs to be able to block when called upon. Since Maroney has difficulty w/ that task - Faulk gets the nod.

That means if opposing teams cover the edge, Maroney won't do much in the running game.  There are also only a few opportunities where a screen pass will work well in any given game. Screen plays make up for our running game w/ YAC, but who did BB prefer on screen plays?  Yep, Faulk.

Maroney did well in 2007 - but I think his numbers were biased because - I suspect his numbers were obtained when games were already in hand. In other words, we were ahead by so many points in many games that the opposing team couldn't stack the box - which gave Maroney room to run free.

Hannah - nice summary btw.

Just my 2 cents, but Maroney isn't our future rb star - far from it. He's serviceable, maybe keep him if we can get him on the cheap.

We need someone else who can stay healthy and reliably help us gain at least 100 yards per game as a team ala Smith and Dillon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Mindy Cohn is past her prime.  But in her day....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Wozzy, you are so full of BS it's coming out of your waders. You don't even remember what you have said in the past. "You've never said he was a superstar"? Oh really? Really Wozzy?

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a48f2bb9b-57e9-4ad4-8e85-f3057e6290c3&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:48f2bb9b-57e9-4ad4-8e85-f3057e6290c3Post:2f855a26-63d5-402c-a95e-46b1e6100520

There it is in black and white. "Maroney is a load". Maroney is a "#1A premier back". What the heck is a #1A premier back if they aren't a superstar?

Your Maroney arguments have never been backed up by anything other than 4ypc. Maroney has never reached or come close to the "potential" that he was touted to have. The man runs scared. He always is waiting for the play to develope. If you've ever been a RB in football, you know sometimes plays don't develope and you make your own hole. You find your hogs and run up there back and push the pile. Better to get 3 yards than 0 yards. Fred Taylor does this all the time. No hole = I put my head down and plow. Maroney tries to two step.

Hannah - I agree with the bulk of your analysis. Thanks for taking the time to write it. While I do put blame on the OL, Faulk, Taylor, Maroney, Dillion, AntSmith, never seemed to dance to the way Maroney does and consequently they were able to make something out of nothing.

Maroney has NEVER been the same since he hurt his shoulder. Shoulder injuries when you are a RB or LB are tough injuries to psychologically overcome. I know, I had a significant shoulder injury in college. I was never the same after that. It was also in the back of my mind that I was going to mess it up again and after a year of rehab, that isn't easy to let go of, regardless if you are a professional, college, high school, or pop werner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

There it is in black and white. 4Adam

----------

busted.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

First: 3/27/2005
    Last: 1/13/2010
    Hannah,

It's alot easier to throw all the blame on the back of one player and be done with it as far as the peanut gallery is concerned.  That's probably how they deal with all the problems in life that they've been dealt... find somebody to blame.  Facts be damned...

The simple fact is that Laurence Maroney has been our starter for three seasons and has been effective when healthy.  I never said he was a superstar or couldn't improve, as he very well could and should being a young player, but to throw him on the scrap heap or to say he is some how to blame for the offensive coordinator not calling running plays as some here suggest is silly. 

I still believe his best football is ahead of him and if he is willing to sign a reasonable contract extension, why not? 

Ask the Bears if they would like to have Cedric Benson back and see what they're reply would be?  Check out Bensons stats for the Bears and ask why he wasn't effective there but is for the Bengals...  you're right, there is enough blame to go around starting at the top.  We certainly can't lay this loss at the feet of a player that didn't play...