Wozzy's Draft Guide 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy's Draft Guide 2013

It's that time of year again, when fans latch their wagon onto certain players who they think will shine at the next level. I've often suggested to others to post their picks, many will brush off these suggestions but will be the first to tell you how easy the draft is.  It will be interesting to see who accepts this challenge. 

There's a large degree of luck and junk science involved in my picks, a lot of it is gut instinct.  The year before last I had Nate Solder as the top rated player at the highest position of need for the Pats on offense and I missed on every player after that. 

Last season I pegged Defensive Tackle as the biggest need position on either side of the ball and just like the season before was stonewalled for the 2nd year in a row, though I did hit on Don’t’a Hightower, Jake Bequette and Alfonzo Dennard. 

Just like last few years I post the biggest position of need first so in this case I'll be starting on defense, specifically D tackle once again.  This should be the final touch to this rebuilt defense we've all been watching take shape, of course it's just as likely BB will go offense (WR?) just to shock us.

Also like always the top rated positions on my board won't necessarily look like Kiper's or McShay's but I can guarantee you I will stick my neck out to defend my picks instead of agreeing that everybody is good and bad at the same time like they do. 

I also pick players based on the Patriot’s systems (3/4 defense) and primarily take guys who worked out at the combine or pro day, if they didn't work out anywhere you may not see them here, though after the Chandler Jones pick last year I’ve taken the time to do some more college Pro Day research. I also break my WR's into groupings, traditional strong safety and free safety etc...  you don't have to agree but it's all in fun.

This is my depth chart with the top being best, bottom being leftovers that might be finds late in the draft.  This will be a fluid list in the days leading up to the draft as new information becomes available but I lock it in before the draft begins.  I don’t take any of this very seriously so feel free to shred my list.

DT

1st round

Star Lotulelei             DT       6'2½"311     Utah                           

Johnathan Hankins   DT       6'2⅞"320     Ohio State                 

Sylvester Williams     DT       6'2⅝"313     North Carolina          

Johnathan Jenkins    DT       6'3⅝"346     Georgia                      

2nd-3rd

Jesse Williams            DT       6'3⅜"323     Alabama                    

TJ Barnes                   DT       6'6¼"369     Georgia Tech             

Kwame Geathers       DT       6'5⅜"342     Georgia                      

Nicholas Williams      DT       6'4½"309     Samford                    

Akeem Spence           DT       6'0⅝"307      Illinois                                   

Brandon Williams     DT       6'1¼"335     Missouri South St     

Sheldon Richardson  DT       6'2½"294     Missouri                    

Sharrif Floyd              DT       6'2⅝"297     Florida                       

Josh Boyd                   DT       6'2⅝"310     Mississippi State       

Montori Hughes        DT       6'4"     329     Tennessee-Martin    

Jared Smith                DT       6'3⅜"302     New Hampshire       

4th and up

Jordan Hill                  DT       6'1¼"303     Penn State                

Kawann Short           DT       6'2⅞"299     Purdue                      

Bennie Logan             DT       6'1⅞"309     LSU                            

Cory Grissom             DT       6'1⅜"306     South Florida            

Christopher Jones     DT       6'1⅝"302     Bowling Green 

I know many players I have going late are being projected to go earlier (Kawann Short, Shariff Floyd, Akeem Spence), they may very well, but likely to a 4/3 team.  I also put a premium on production, school, size and overall mass.  

Jessie Williams reminds me of Poe last year with great workouts but not much production, players like him or TJ Barnes might be project players.  Montori Hughes is a thug but talented. There were smaller school players that really stood out , particularly local New Hampshire guy Jared Smith who had amazing measurables, as well as Josh Boyd, Brandon and Nicolas Williams.

I'll follow up with the rest once my fingers stop cramping...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Wozzy's Draft Guide 2013

Wozzy nice post but wondering how you ranked them? For example Floyd is considered a top 10 prospect while on the other hand Smith from UNH is a 6th-UDFA type of guy. Just curious how you ranked some of them. For me I have (in order for position):

1st:

• J. Hankins DT
    • J. Jenkins DT
    • J. Williams DT
    • M. Hunt DE
    • A Okafor DE
    • T Carradine DE
    • D Trufant CB
    • K Allen WR
    • D Hopkins WR

2nd:

• D Rogers WR
    • S Bailey WR
    • M Wheaton WR
    • B Williams DT
    • D Slay CB
    • W Davis CB
    • B.W. Webb CB

3rd:

• K Geathers DT
    • W Gholston DE
    • K Greene OLB
    • C Thomas OLB
    • T Mathieu CB
    • L McFadden CB
    • R Alford CB
    • M Wilson WR
    • R Swope WR

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I tried to take players in the 1st who could play all three position along the line including nose.  Many players like Floyd, Spence, Richardson, Jordan Hill, Kawann Short and Chris Jones dropped because they project better as 4/3 tackles.  

That being said I can't deny them a spot on this team either because more than one undersized guy has proven that with superior strength they can play every down in the 3/4.  

There are also a lot of pure nose tackles in this crop which dropped some players like Geathers, Jessie Williams and Josh Boyd down, which isn't to say they are bad, it's just that they showed up more in the tackle stat sheet and not so much in the sack or tackle behind the line tally.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I haven't really gotten into the draft stuff as much as I did in previous years but isn't Shariff Floyd a top 5 pick in just about every mock out there? Curious why you have him rated so low?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

My wish draft for the Pats based on our current picks assuming no trades (yeah right!) and trying to pick players who might reasonably be available at that slot;

Rd 1; Vince Wilfork Lite a.k.a Johnathan Jenkins DT (try running short yardage on that front)

Rd 2;  DeAndre Hopkins WR or Robert Woods WR

Rd 3; Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB (this guy is no Darius Butler!) or the Honey Badger CB, or DJ Swearingen S

In Round 7 pick up two of these three; ILB, WR, OL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

There's a large degree of luck and junk science involved in my picks, a lot of it is gut instinct.  The year before last I had Nate Solder as the top rated player at the highest position of need for the Pats on offense and I missed on every player after that. 

Last season I pegged Defensive Tackle as the biggest need position on either side of the ball and just like the season before was stonewalled for the 2nd year in a row, though I did hit on Don’t’a Hightower, Jake Bequette and Alfonzo Dennard

Just to clarify, are you saying you had the Pats taking these guys?  You say you hit on them, but if you didn't have the Pats taking them I don't see what you mean.  Bequette, for example has proven nothing on the field. 

If you had the Pats taking these guys that's amazing.  Otherwise, not so much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my full "Big 50" Draft Board.  This reflects where I have players rated as well as my preferences per round(s):

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

DT- John Hankins

DL- Datone Jones

CB- Desmond Trufant

Rd 1-2

WR- Stedman Bailey

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR- Quinton Patton

S- Eric Reid

CB- Jordan Poyer

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Markus Wheaton

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- Shamarko Thomas

S- DJ Swearinger

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Winters

OL- David Quessenberry

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Keelan Johnson

DT- Kwame Geathers

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

WR- Josh Boyce

S- Josh Evans

OG- Jeff Baca

DE/OLB- Cornelius Washington

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Josh Boyd

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

DL- Abry Jones

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

I haven't really gotten into the draft stuff as much as I did in previous years but isn't Shariff Floyd a top 5 pick in just about every mock out there? Curious why you have him rated so low?

I think Floyd barely tips the scales at 300 pounds, his measurement at the combine was 297. I don't dismiss the possibility that he could play end in a 3/4 as he is very strong with 30 reps on the bench press but I don't get to see how much he squats, dead lifts etc...  In short he would be a very solid 4/3 tackle if he keeps his weight and strength up but I don't project him as a 3/4 lineman or even as a DT in BB's 2/4/5 alignment which calls for someone with a lot of mass, incredible leverage and a high motor like Wilfork.

The guys I chose in my first round could play any position along the 3/4, 4/3 or even 2/4/5, they are superior athletes in every respect and I really hope to score one in the 1st round, but I won't dismiss the possibilty BB targets an SEC, Alabama or Florida guy though regardless where anybody ranks them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Just to clarify, are you saying you had the Pats taking these guys?  You say you hit on them, but if you didn't have the Pats taking them I don't see what you mean.  Bequette, for example has proven nothing on the field. 

I don't think it's amazing but I had 27 players picked on the defensive side of the ball; 5 D Linemen, 10 linebackers/outside linebackers,  12 corners/safeties/strong safeties on my list.

I also had Bruce Irvin as my top rated outside linebacker which caused a lot of eyebrow furrowing amongst the posters here because he was projected to go in the 3rd round or later, but Seattle picked him up at 15 in the first round.  I'm proud to say that most if not all of my picks went on to play substantial minutes for NFL teams including undrafted guys like center Michael Brewster who got picked up from the Jags.

Bequette played at the deepest position on our team so I wouldn't write him off yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Below is my full "Big 50" Draft Board.  This reflects where I have players rated as well as my preferences per round(s):

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

DT- John Hankins

DL- Datone Jones

CB- Desmond Trufant

Rd 1-2

WR- Stedman Bailey

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

CB- Jamar Taylor

WR- Quinton Patton

S- Eric Reid

CB- Jordan Poyer

DT- John Jenkins

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Markus Wheaton

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- Shamarko Thomas

S- DJ Swearinger

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

DE/OLB- Margus Hunt

OL- Barrett Jones

OL- Brian Winters

OL- David Quessenberry

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

S- Keelan Johnson

DT- Kwame Geathers

DE/OLB- Devin Taylor

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

WR- Josh Boyce

S- Josh Evans

OG- Jeff Baca

DE/OLB- Cornelius Washington

DL- Chris Jones

DL- Josh Boyd

WR- TJ Moe

RB- Spencer Ware

DL- Quinton Dial

DL- Kapron Lewis-Moore

OL- Tanner Hawkinson

DL- Abry Jones

of course this man here has the only draft guide you will need and not just Patriots fans

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think Floyd barely tips the scales at 300 pounds, his measurement at the combine was 297. I don't dismiss the possibility that he could play end in a 3/4 as he is very strong with 30 reps on the bench press but I don't get to see how much he squats, dead lifts etc...  In short he would be a very solid 4/3 tackle if he keeps his weight and strength up but I don't project him as a 3/4 lineman or even as a DT in BB's 2/4/5 alignment which calls for someone with a lot of mass, incredible leverage and a high motor like Wilfork.

The guys I chose in my first round could play any position along the 3/4, 4/3 or even 2/4/5, they are superior athletes in every respect and I really hope to score one in the 1st round, but I won't dismiss the possibilty BB targets an SEC, Alabama or Florida guy though regardless where anybody ranks them.

Most 34 DE's are around 300lbs. BB likes larger DE's but won't hesistate playing a smaller DE in a 34. For example Ty Warren, Mike Wright, and Jarvis Green were all 300 or smaller and all 3 startered as 34 DEs for the Pats at some point or another

Besides BB likes positoin versitality between bas formations. He's all about 34 DE's that can play 43 DTs and vice versa. He typically stays away from people who can only play 1 tech or 1 gap regardless of size

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

All I can say is its def. a deep class in terms of DT talent so Im sure BB knows this and will select one and history sais it will be in the 1st . If they think they can land one of the top guys in the 2nd and the draft is THAT deep, maybe they go CB in round 1 or WR which Is unlikely but I would say they take a stud to not only help out Fork but maybe eventually replace him at this stage.

Hard to evaluate Lineman myself so Im just gonna say I want a plus 300 guy with decent agility who can hold up at the point of attack and maybe has a little bit of ability to push the middle of the pocket on passing downs

I would glady take J.J. being from Georgia, it seemed to have worked last time

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

I don't think it's amazing but I had 27 players picked on the defensive side of the ball; 5 D Linemen, 10 linebackers/outside linebackers,  12 corners/safeties/strong safeties on my list.

I also had Bruce Irvin as my top rated outside linebacker which caused a lot of eyebrow furrowing amongst the posters here because he was projected to go in the 3rd round or later, but Seattle picked him up at 15 in the first round.  I'm proud to say that most if not all of my picks went on to play substantial minutes for NFL teams including undrafted guys like center Michael Brewster who got picked up from the Jags.

Bequette played at the deepest position on our team so I wouldn't write him off yet.

OK that's a little different than the way I first took it.  I thought you had the Pats taking Donta, Dennard and JB.  Still good though.  And I wasn't suggesting JB is a bust.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

If there are no other FA signings prior to the draft then they need to go with CB/DL and WR in the first three rounds (not in that order but with the best available when their picks comes).

I do think you might (better that 50-50 odds) see them trade off their first for a 3rd and 5th round pick.  If they keep their first rounder then I see . . .

Hankes or S. Williams in the first . . . Trufant if the DL are gone and Hopkins if the other three are gone.  Otherwise it is traded for two other later picks.

Second round . . . Banks (CB) if a DL or Hopkins was taken in the first round or Da'Rick Rogers if Banks is gone . . . otherwise this gets traded for a 4th and a 6th.

Third round . .  if no WR has been taken then they take Swopes, if they've picked up a wideout but no DL then Geathers or Hughes and if they have not picked up a CB then Slay or Mathieu.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Most 34 DE's are around 300lbs. BB likes larger DE's but won't hesistate playing a smaller DE in a 34. For example Ty Warren, Mike Wright, and Jarvis Green were all 300 or smaller and all 3 startered as 34 DEs for the Pats at some point or another

Besides BB likes positoin versitality between bas formations. He's all about 34 DE's that can play 43 DTs and vice versa. He typically stays away from people who can only play 1 tech or 1 gap regardless of size

I won't disagree, there is no exact science to it all.  Ty Warren was 6'5" and a full 300 pounds trying to keep his weight in check.  Some of these other guys are 290 and they've bulked up to 300 with a healthy dose of off season, predraft eating, during the course of a season they will break down to below the 300 mark, there's a big difference between Warren who was a starter and could play every down to Wright and Green who were situational rushers on third downs.  

I picked my early guys based on their ability to be on the field on every down and dominate the opposition in front of them.  There are always guys who break the mold but I'm sick of trying to find that guy in the later rounds, I'd rather use that first pick on a blue chip guy, I don't need to hear all the moaners crying about 2nd-3rd round picks like Ron Brace who was a developmental "upside" player from the start, let's get a more polished player who can step in next to Wilfork right away and dominate.  Also I wanted a guy who could swing inside and play nose, those 298 pounders just can't do that...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

If there are no other FA signings prior to the draft then they need to go with CB/DL and WR in the first three rounds (not in that order but with the best available when their picks comes).

I do think you might (better that 50-50 odds) see them trade off their first for a 3rd and 5th round pick.  If they keep their first rounder then I see . . .

Hankes or S. Williams in the first . . . Trufant if the DL are gone and Hopkins if the other three are gone.  Otherwise it is traded for two other later picks.

Second round . . . Banks (CB) if a DL or Hopkins was taken in the first round or Da'Rick Rogers if Banks is gone . . . otherwise this gets traded for a 4th and a 6th.

Third round . .  if no WR has been taken then they take Swopes, if they've picked up a wideout but no DL then Geathers or Hughes and if they have not picked up a CB then Slay or Mathieu.

They have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th...

I see DT, WR, WR, and CB... in no particular order after a DT with the first pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great, another Draft Thread. Tongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

For all the expert talent evaluators we apparently have around here, now is your chance to tell Belichick which players don't sux...

.. better yet, put your money where your mouth is and let us know that you're not just experts in hindsight.  The draft is less than 3 weeks away.  Let's go?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

For all the expert talent evaluators we apparently have around here, now is your chance to tell Belichick which players don't sux...

.. better yet, put your money where your mouth is and let us know that you're not just experts in hindsight.  The draft is less than 3 weeks away.  Let's go?!

Who are your guys? You listed every DT available in the draft. Have to narrow it down a bit there Wozzy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Yes, lets see what you pick Wozz. personally, I don't think bb takes a DT. I do however predict he will takE a WR in the first 3 rounds. And, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Hopkins or Bailey. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Who are your guys? You listed every DT available in the draft. Have to narrow it down a bit there Wozzy

Last year I had my final list under 30 players for all positions total that the Pat's should consider taking.  

Before the draft begins I will have posted every other position group and I will have narrowed each position group to 4-8 players, for example last year I had Dontari Poe and some others on my DT list leading up to the draft, by the time the draft happened I had 4 players there and Poe was gone.  

I don't think when 56 defensive tackles declare for the 2013 NFL draft and I give you my 4-8 choices that is too broad a range. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Last year I had my final list under 30 players for all positions total that the Pat's should consider taking.  

Before the draft begins I will have posted every other position group and I will have narrowed each position group to 4-8 players, for example last year I had Dontari Poe and some others on my DT list leading up to the draft, by the time the draft happened I had 4 players there and Poe was gone.  

I don't think when 56 defensive tackles declare for the 2013 NFL draft and I give you my 4-8 choices that is too broad a range. 

Here are my favorite (30).

Rd 1

DT- Jesse Williams

DE/OLB- Tank Carradine

DT- Sylvester Williams

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- Keenan Allen

DT- John Hankins

Rd 1-2

WR- Stedman Bailey

S- Matt Elam

S- Jon Cyprien

Rd 2

CB- DJ Hayden

CB- Logan Ryan

CB- Johnthan Banks

WR- Quinton Patton

CB- Jordan Poyer

Rd 2-3

CB- Darius Slay

WR- Markus Wheaton

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

S- Shamarko Thomas

S- DJ Swearinger

Rd 3

WR- Ryan Swope

CB- Tyrann Mathieu

DE/OLB- Michael Buchanan

C/OG- Brian Schwenke

DE/OLB- Lavar Edwards

Rd 4-7

WR/PR- Ace Sanders

S- Cooper Taylor

S- Josh Evans

OG- Jeff Baca

WR- TJ Moe

DL- Quinton Dial

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It doesn't matter what you say about Floyd based on what you read... what matters is that scouts and those paid to actively rank players and make draft boards have Floyd going in the 4-8 range.

He won't escape past pick 12-14, so putting him in the Patriots conversation or as a 2nd rd talent is absurd.

It was like all those people who wanted JJ Watt 2 years ago... that's nice that you like him... but he's not getting past pick 12-14 so why bother talking about him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

It doesn't matter what you say about Floyd based on what you read... what matters is that scouts and those paid to actively rank players and make draft boards have Floyd going in the 4-8 range.

He won't escape past pick 12-14, so putting him in the Patriots conversation or as a 2nd rd talent is absurd.

It was like all those people who wanted JJ Watt 2 years ago... that's nice that you like him... but he's not getting past pick 12-14 so why bother talking about him?

Show me a draft where everything went according to what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay said...

.. because you'll never get a look at a real NFL team's big board so you wouldn't know where they rank them...

.. if Floyd drops past 14 I expect an apology, if he falls to the 2nd round a gift would be nice, maybe a fresh 6'er of Sam Adams or another micro brew, preferably something I can't get here in Florida.  

I didn't say Floyd was bad, he might even be considered one of the best 4/3 tackles on the board, most mocks are built for 4/3 defenses; I'm talking about the Patriots and I could be wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

My wish draft for the Pats based on our current picks assuming no trades (yeah right!) and trying to pick players who might reasonably be available at that slot;

Rd 1; Vince Wilfork Lite a.k.a Johnathan Jenkins DT (try running short yardage on that front)

Rd 2;  DeAndre Hopkins WR or Robert Woods WR

Rd 3; Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB (this guy is no Darius Butler!) or the Honey Badger CB, or DJ Swearingen S

In Round 7 pick up two of these three; ILB, WR, OL

if we got hokins in rd 2 that woudl be a coup.

with you one wr in 2 (hopkins, rogers,etc) and cb in 3, give me carradine in rd 1 quag (detone jones as backup)

Sections
Shortcuts