WR an issue?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

WR an issue?

As of right now on our roster we have Dobson (hurt), Amendola (always hurt), Edelman ( 1 year healthy), Boyce (hurt), Gronk (hurt), Thompkins (hurt). LaFell(good). I think we need to draft a WR before a DT in the draft, I would take a DT/DE second round and grab a TE in the third. What I'm saynig is that overall, I think we need better depth at the position. I hope now that awful Dr. Gill is gone we can have some healthy players to work with. But it's still concerning to me. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Re: WR an issue?

I think they will draft both a WR and TE, that might not be the end of their signings as they could go after several TE's and WR's with UDFA status. They have visited with several WR's when visiting their schools. They may also draft a RB with pass catching skills.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

For all this talk about them drafting receivers, and tightends, and defensive tackles...watch them go out and draft a guard. Every year at this time we are all wrong and the Patriots select someone else....someone no one has talked about. I'd hate to see us go in that direction, but we are weak up the middle of our line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would take the best athlete that slid down to 29. The Pat's need help in a few areas. If WR Marquise Lee drops to 29 I would probably take him. If a guy like Ryan Shazier is there I would consider him, also Rashede Hageman. I really like TE Troy Niklas but it would be a reach to get him in the 1st round, and I don't think he will still be around at the end of the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind giving up a later pick to move up in the second round. If we don't draft a WR in the early rounds there is a small school guy I would consider taking a chance on in the latter rounds, Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley State. Granted it is division 2 but the guy was dominant for 4 years. He has great size and speed. He may end up being a steal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

WR is like the eigth need on the Pats. They need O-line (2 or 3), D-line (2 ), Safety(1 or 2) and TE way before they need another WR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WR is like the eigth need on the Pats. They need O-line (2 or 3), D-line (2 ), Safety(1 or 2) and TE way before they need another WR.

[/QUOTE]

They can easily draft O-line later on in the draft. Or even bring in a vet from a camp cut. At Safety I feel like after the reports that Logan Ryan might get switched over to SS and the signing of Chung they do not want to bring in a rookie where they have to teach the system too.. IMO it effects if they draft a saftey and what they think of the class. Mabye they realized how much they wiffed there. I agree on your D line statement and TE statement, I love CJF in the third out of Iowa. The second round is where I see them take a pass rusher and trade up and give up a pick amd there second Mabye our second 5th? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

The draft is loaded with WR talent. unless Watkins, Evans or Benjamin fall to 29 dont draft a WR til RD3-4 imo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There are a lot of "guys my size" WR's, but there are very few extra large athletes, they just don't grow on trees.  

I like the idea of loading up on both our interior lines, neither Siliga, Chris Jones or even Wendell are guaranteed a roster spot if an extraordinary athlete is there at picks one and two.  I would love to have a Damian Woody in the middle again, even though I think Cannon is already that guy if we want him to be.

BB taking a WR at one, I never say never... but...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They can easily draft O-line later on in the draft. Or even bring in a vet from a camp cut. At Safety I feel like after the reports that Logan Ryan might get switched over to SS and the signing of Chung they do not want to bring in a rookie where they have to teach the system too.. IMO it effects if they draft a saftey and what they think of the class. Mabye they realized how much they wiffed there. I agree on your D line statement and TE statement, I love CJF in the third out of Iowa. The second round is where I see them take a pass rusher and trade up and give up a pick amd there second Mabye our second 5th? 

[/QUOTE]

But they don't need any more WRs, They NEED the other guys and they need to bring them in so they can develope them. They need to bring in another rookie safety so he can learn the system. 

Last year they had three rookie WRs and yet they had the third ranked O. The continued developement of the rookies should improve that O ranking. Any WR brought in thru the draft wouldn't see the field for a year or two. Why waste the pick when there are other needs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

There are a lot of "guys my size" WR's, but there are very few extra large athletes, they just don't grow on trees.  

I like the idea of loading up on both our interior lines, neither Siliga, Chris Jones or even Wendell are guaranteed a roster spot if an extraordinary athlete is there at picks one and two.  I would love to have a Damian Woody in the middle again, even though I think Cannon is already that guy if we want him to be.

I'll say it. NEVER!

These are the Patriots WRs picked in the 1st round.

1996 Terry Glenn
    1989 Hart Lee Dykes
    1984 Irving Fryar
    1977 Stanley Morgan
    1973 Darryl Stingley
    1969 Ron Sellers
    1963 Art Graham
    1962 Gary Collins

That's it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"There are a lot of "guys my size" WR's, but there are very few extra large athletes, they just don't grow on trees.  "

Agreed - I'd like to see us take one of those guys but it's a tough call, BB has struggled with WR talent evaluation and he seems to do better taking a flier on a few WRers in later rounds and seeing what sticks. 

Overall the draft has been a strength of late for us, I could see either line being a good way to spend the first rounder...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And also a Linebacker with Fletcher and Spikes gone

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I simply do not see BB drafting a W/R in rd 1.  As others are saying the Pats needs are higher on both sides of the line and at TE. Depth at LB is also a concern. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't like where they are right now with TE/WR and think they have a need for a top talent in one of those two pass-catching positions. That said, they also have needs elsewhere and I assume those other needs will take priority, though as always a lot will depend on who is available when the Pats pick.  Here's my summary of where I see their priorities:

• I tend to think DT and LB are the two biggest needs and would like to see at least one of those positions filled with a high pick.  With Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, and Vellano all back there's a possibility they could try to slide one more year with the guys they have at DT, though I think that would be risky given the age and injury status of Wilfork and Kelly and the skills of the remaining guys.  With the loss of Spikes and Fletcher, the LB position is not deep anymore--and with Mayo returning from an injury and Collins only in his second year, I think LB may actually be the position of highest need for the Pats. 
    • I'd put TE and WR next, though I'm not sure they need both TE and WR in the draft, just one or the other.  The goal is to find one more competitive receiving threat, regardless of position.  
    • Interior O-line is definitely an area where they could improve, but with the re-signing of Wendell my gut tells me they are going to try to get by one more year with what they have.  
    • DE is also an area where they could use help and I could see a DE drafted high if the right talent is available.  At the same time, I could see the Pats addressing this with a veteran, since the need is mostly for a back-up. The exception would be if they can get a starting quality DE who would allow them to use Nink as a LB if they need depth in that position.  
    • I no longer think safety is an area they'll address with a high pick in the draft. The improvement in the DBs overall makes me think this is an area where they'll try to get by with their current crop of players, maybe supplemented by a veteran free agent (even Gregory) and some undrafted rookies or late round picks.
    • Back up RB is a need. I tend to think this is something they'll address with a late rounder, an undrafted rookie, or a veteran free agent, though I could see a draft pick used on the right guy.
    • I do think we will bring more TEs and WRs into camp--maybe not acquiring them through the draft, but I think we need to continue to try to strengthen those positions.
    • I do see BB bringing in some undrafted rookies at DT and LB as well--again to look for ways to strengthen those positions.
    • A developmental QB is another possibility in the draft. 
    • Tackle, FB, and corner are positions I'd be surprised to see drafted.
    • We can use a kick returner still, but I see that filled with a RB, WR, or DB who is already on the roster.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

IMO, the priorities are 

1) DE/OLB (pass rush)

2)OL/DL

3) SS

4) TE

WR is one of the least of the Patriots' worries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I see a trade of the first round pick.  I do not see BB drafting a player at #29 when the talent pool is so deep in the mid rounds.  I see a DE, TE, running back, QB, interior OL and LB all coming from the draft.  Next year, all three Running backs are due for new contracts.  I do not see all three coming back.  One of the things that BB does well is find UDFA's that help the team.   I see him doing this again this year.  The team has enough starting talent on both sides of the ball but need depth and future players.  This is how they are able to keep winning every year.  I do not see much difference between a #29 pick and a #62 pick in this draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'll say it. NEVER!

These are the Patriots WRs picked in the 1st round.

1996 Terry Glenn
    1989 Hart Lee Dykes
    1984 Irving Fryar
    1977 Stanley Morgan
    1973 Darryl Stingley
    1969 Ron Sellers
    1963 Art Graham
    1962 Gary Collins

That's it.

[/QUOTE]

I think BB still has a fresh memory of Glenn and his childish tirades that often come with WRs being picked early in the draft. For That reason and the almost 1st pick Chad Jackson, BB will never draft a WR in the 1st round. TE? For sure, but WR?  not when he doesnt value them that much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Alright you guys are starting to sway me over to D Line/linebacker first round haha! I just hope they all can all stay healthy. With BB you never know I guess. If Benjemin is there take him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The draft is loaded with WR talent. unless Watkins, Evans or Benjamin fall to 29 dont draft a WR til RD3-4 imo

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO, the priorities are 

1) DE/OLB (pass rush)

2)OL/DL

3) SS

4) TE

[/QUOTE]

Not so if Dobson's foot is not 100% and Thompson does not develop . . . Edelman played too many plays out of the slot last year, if Evans, Watkins or Benjamin are there (I do not think they will be) you have to take them . . . talent like that does not come along every day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not so if Dobson's foot is not 100% and Thompson does not develop . . . Edelman played too many plays out of the slot last year, if Evans, Watkins or Benjamin are there (I do not think they will be) you have to take them . . . talent like that does not come along every day.

[/QUOTE]

Tenace, I agree with you.  I would love to see Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce all take great strides forward this coming season, but I don't think it's at all clear yet that they will.  Edelman is a fine slot guy, but I don't believe he should be the number 1 option.  Amendola was a disappointment last year, I think--maybe because of injury, but still not all that productive.  If we had healthy, good TEs, I'd be more comfortable leaving the WR group as is, but if Gronk is going to be out for a long time, I think we need to get better at either WR or TE (or both, though I doubt they have the resources to improve both).  

I still put defensive needs as higher priorities, but I think WR/TE is very close and expect BB to make some more moves in these positions before the offseason is done. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Similar to last year, I simply don't see a first year player, be it a first round or second round choice, coming in and making an impact.

unless the Pats reduce the play book, I don't see a first year player coming in and learning the play book and earning Brady's trust.