WR Brandon LaFell visiting Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: WR Brandon LaFell visiting Pats

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fans want a bigger WR to play on the outside and Lafell gives you a bigger WR that can play on the outside. 

[/QUOTE]

Nailed it.  He isn't a household name, yet, but he is a player who looked like he was just starting to blossom in the second half of last season.  Also remember that he was playing in a run first offense across from Steve Smith.  He looks to me like a great guy to get a look at and try to get a reasonable deal with.  But we all know that since his name isn't Calvin Johnson and New England isn't going to give him 15 million year, that Eng and tfb12 will freak out and cry for weeks if we sign him.  I love this time of year!  :)

[/QUOTE]

Cmon Wazz, hardly fair. I don't think anyone is screaming for Megatron or Fitzgerald. We generally are more realistic than that. It's about adding quality parts.

if the pats,lose Edelman, are they cumulatively a better WR corps with Lafell? 

II think they could be if, if amendola can contribute next year. If he suffers injury again, like he has so many times in the past, there is drop off I believe. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

as long as his contract will signal "good value" for krafty Bob I'm all in!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fans want a bigger WR to play on the outside and Lafell gives you a bigger WR that can play on the outside. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes. We have Dobson here as well. Question, if we lose Edelman and replace him with Lafell, does it make the pats better? Yes, I understand they have different skill sets, but overall is the WR corps better with the cumulative parts?

[/QUOTE]

I see where you're going with this and can agree.  Question is can Amendola replace Edelman ? 

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe, but a very big maybe given his injury history. If we do this, we are assuming 2 things...first amendola will stay healthy and contribute, and, the 2nd year kids will blossom. If Gronk can come back early and near 100%, it takes a bit of th. Pressure off the offense. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Sign him up!! Fantasy Star

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. We have Dobson here as well. Question, if we lose Edelman and replace him with Lafell, does it make the pats better? Yes, I understand they have different skill sets, but overall is the WR corps better with the cumulative parts?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not holding my breath with Dobson... I didn't like the pick at the time and still don't like it... hopefully he heals, develops and proves me wrong.

Guess we'd need to see LaFell in the Pat's system to answer that.   

Edelman has a single outlier year of health and performance, so I don't think he's a must sign player.  I think we'd all like him back, but it doesn't make sense to buy high on him, IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wanting the Pats to improve is fine.  Whinning and crying and acting like a baby is not.  Man up.  It will be ok.

[/QUOTE]

Wazz, we heard this last year, and the year before, and the year before. Please name the FA's who have helped us win playoff games in the last 5 years. Nothing changes unless there is a reason and clearly saying lets sit back and not speak up won't cause that to change. My old man use to tell me being a man is speaking up to make things better when you see something is wrong. Sitting back and just going with the flow is what kids do when they are too scared to speak up.

If you are happy to say, in BB I trust why even be on the forums this time of year? There would be zero to discuss other then, weren't our FA's last year wonderful. Sure they didn't help at all but I'm glad we sat back and went after deals. This system is wonderful.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Eng here. Not saying anything or toting the pats value line is not acceptable. It would only be if we were winning sb's, and not divorced from a decade of winning the big one. Meanwhile, other teams are winning and some multiple times. You could say we have been to 2 since and a play here or there makes the difference. I agree. However, good players typically make good plays + a bit of luck. You could say if it wasn't for the injuries we would be winning sb's. yes, I agree. But if you have a dollar to spend on 1 player, do you spend it on the one with an injury history, or the one without? In the end, good players need to be on the field at the end of the season. Regular season wonders won't cut it.

What bb does year in and year out makes this team competitive. Can't argue that. However, the question is, is it enough? If you use the SB as the ultimate barometer, then clearly its not enough. 

So, what needs to change? Obviously somethinG, right? The formula needs to be tweaked. Better drafting and better FA moves would seem logical if you look at our past in these 2 areas.  

I don't think anyone is condoning spending wildly. I think a few like myself want to see more quality FA added. Yes it will take money, but getting good players requires it. 

[/QUOTE]

So Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison, Wes Welker and Tom Brady aren't good players? Those were the four guys who could have made the plays to win the last two superbowl losses.

I guess you prefer the Giants and Steelers appraoch to win a couple superbowls and then suck and not make the playoffs to get some higher draft picks and hopefully return again in 3 or 4 years.

No thanks. I'll keep the system that allows the Pats to have a chance in the post season where anything can happen and they still make it to an AFC championship game despite being descimated with injuries.

I don't discount your opinion though. To each their own.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

So Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison, Wes Welker and Tom Brady aren't good players? Those were the four guys who could have made the plays to win the last two superbowl losses.

I guess you prefer the Giants and Steelers appraoch to win a couple superbowls and then suck and not make the playoffs to get some higher draft picks and hopefully return again in 3 or 4 years.

No thanks. I'll keep the system that allows the Pats to have a chance in the post season where anything can happen and they still make it to an AFC championship game despite being descimated with injuries.

To each his own and I can understand wanting a team in the playoffs every year, I guess the difference is I don't want to be like the 80's Bruins, or the 90's Bills, or the 90's Braves, Or the 80-90's Phins with Marino. To me being just good enough to be in the conversatoin isn't enough.

I honestly want to know when the conversation went from winning championships every year to oh we should just be happy making the playoffs and winning. The Jets, Phins, Cinn, Atl's of the world are just happy making the playoffs. When did that become the goal and something to be celebrated vs in the early 00's when just making the playoffs wasn't enough. It's funny you look at the Colts from the early 00's, you know the team we all made fun of? Well there playoff record back then is pretty much identical to ours over the last 5 years and yet back then we killed them for it and now we celebrate it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wanting the Pats to improve is fine.  Whinning and crying and acting like a baby is not.  Man up.  It will be ok.

[/QUOTE]

Wazz, we heard this last year, and the year before, and the year before. Please name the FA's who have helped us win playoff games in the last 5 years. Nothing changes unless there is a reason and clearly saying lets sit back and not speak up won't cause that to change. My old man use to tell me being a man is speaking up to make things better when you see something is wrong. Sitting back and just going with the flow is what kids do when they are too scared to speak up.

If you are happy to say, in BB I trust why even be on the forums this time of year? There would be zero to discuss other then, weren't our FA's last year wonderful. Sure they didn't help at all but I'm glad we sat back and went after deals. This system is wonderful.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with Eng here. Not saying anything or toting the pats value line is not acceptable. It would only be if we were winning sb's, and not divorced from a decade of winning the big one. Meanwhile, other teams are winning and some multiple times. You could say we have been to 2 since and a play here or there makes the difference. I agree. However, good players typically make good plays + a bit of luck. You could say if it wasn't for the injuries we would be winning sb's. yes, I agree. But if you have a dollar to spend on 1 player, do you spend it on the one with an injury history, or the one without? In the end, good players need to be on the field at the end of the season. Regular season wonders won't cut it.

What bb does year in and year out makes this team competitive. Can't argue that. However, the question is, is it enough? If you use the SB as the ultimate barometer, then clearly its not enough. 

So, what needs to change? Obviously somethinG, right? The formula needs to be tweaked. Better drafting and better FA moves would seem logical if you look at our past in these 2 areas.  

I don't think anyone is condoning spending wildly. I think a few like myself want to see more quality FA added. Yes it will take money, but getting good players requires it. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well thank you for not discounting My opinion. I appreciate yours as well.

its a good point you make but I will counter it with this...

do you really want Ellis Hobbs on plaxico Burress 1 on 1? 

How about Chung protecting your backside and helping over the top on Nicks?

wendell as your starting C who gets blown up by big, quick DL Like the giants front 4?

or, your 2 TE offense that relies on 1 of the parts to be on the field in critical games but is perennially injured? 

So it doesn't come down to just one play. Thete are probably a half dozen that define a game. I get your point on the stars you mention. It's the other ones who were drafted or acquired to start that concern me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This guy... per Rotoworld

Free agent WR Brandon LaFell is visiting the Patriots Wednesday. Tom Brady should be bubbling over with frustration. The Patriots failed to pony up the cash for Wes Welker last season and appear poised to follow the same path with Julian Edelman this year. LaFell is another backup-caliber outside receiver that wouldn't be an upgrade on the likes of Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. LaFell's best work comes as a run blocker. Mar 12 - 9:11 AM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Free agent WR Brandon LaFell is visiting the Patriots Wednesday. Tom Brady should be bubbling over with frustration. The Patriots failed to pony up the cash for Wes Welker last season and appear poised to follow the same path with Julian Edelman this year. LaFell is another backup-caliber outside receiver that wouldn't be an upgrade on the likes of Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. LaFell's best work comes as a run blocker. Mar 12 - 9:11 AM[/QUOTE]

Did anyone label this guy a replacement for Welker? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Free agent WR Brandon LaFell is visiting the Patriots Wednesday. Tom Brady should be bubbling over with frustration. The Patriots failed to pony up the cash for Wes Welker last season and appear poised to follow the same path with Julian Edelman this year. LaFell is another backup-caliber outside receiver that wouldn't be an upgrade on the likes of Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins. LaFell's best work comes as a run blocker. Mar 12 - 9:11 AM[/QUOTE]

Looks like we may be running more...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Doom and Gloom today Brothers. Think of the years when we were 1-15, you'll feel better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB actually speaks to a free agent who isn't everyone's centerfold

[/QUOTE]

That's all he ever does. I think the frustration comes from him consistently dumpster diving and pissing away millions on several scrubs instead of growing some balls and putting all that money together and signing an impact player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope that was Amendola last year. He'd be Edelmans replacement this year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

brandon lafell?? hahahaha 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dobson is bigger and wasn't the answer as of now. Jackson was bigger and stank.

It's just BB dumpster diving again. He'll spend 10 mil on 3-4 stiffs instead of going for a blue chip player.

He'll have the faithful all hopeful with more stiffs just like he fills his roster with mediocre draft picks and UDFA filler. And they will overrate them all until the very day BB boots them, then act like they never sang their praises or act like they are actually good anyway but "just didn't fit the system". It's ludicrous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

who?

[/QUOTE]

Lol, I said the same thing. They are already trying to fill holes with cheap no names.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

Dobson is bigger and wasn't the answer as of now. Jackson was bigger and stank.

It's just BB dumpster diving again. He'll spend 10 mil on 3-4 stiffs instead of going for a blue chip player.

He'll have the faithful all hopeful with more stiffs just like he fills his roster with mediocre draft picks and UDFA filler. And they will overrate them all until the very day BB boots them, then act like they never sang their praises or act like they are actually good anyway but "just didn't fit the system". It's ludicrous.

[/QUOTE]

All that and the team will still be in contention for the AFCCG/SB... sucks being a NE fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Against the Patriots this season he got 7 receptions for 59 yards and a TD. I would bet this is a large part of why he's one of the first free agents through the door. BB loves signing guys that gave him a hard time playing for another team!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

He's a JAG that would be there 3 weeks from now. Someone wonder why the Pats seem content on talking with JAGs, backups, and sub package players that would be there this weekend while everyone is trying to get starters? Doesn't that seem backwards to you?

[/QUOTE]

Or not...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet   56m

#Patriots have brought in WR Brandon LaFell and are open to signing him. If not, another team showing huge interest? The #Broncos #GameOn

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

Going to take more than Papa Ginos gift certificates to get it done.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would hope not but last I checked, we need someone good.  You know, someone for Dobson and Thompkins to back up, not someone to back up Dobson and Thompkins.  Get my drift?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

[QUOTE]

He's a JAG that would be there 3 weeks from now. Someone wonder why the Pats seem content on talking with JAGs, backups, and sub package players that would be there this weekend while everyone is trying to get starters? Doesn't that seem backwards to you?

Or not...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet   56m

#Patriots have brought in WR Brandon LaFell and are open to signing him. If not, another team showing huge interest? The #Broncos #GameOn

[/QUOTE]

You'll have to forgive me if being open to sign him doesn't give me thrills. Doesn't that sound like, yeah if no one else would sign you we'll make an offer? If they really wanted him and thought he was a risk of signing somewhere else quickly do you really believe they'd let him go saying we're open to sign you instead of just getting a deal done? I mean it's not like this guy is going to get a ton, what can you really negotiate with this low end signing less than a mil/year difference?

You know what it reminds me of, walking on to a car lot just to check out the new cars because maybe a couple months down the road you might be looking for a car and a salesman asking if you are interested in getting a new car and you reply well I'm open if I find something I like but right now I'm just looking. You really aren't open but maybe down the road you might be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to guesmem2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Going to take more than Papa Ginos gift certificates to get it done.....

[/QUOTE]

Bass Pro Shops?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

You'll have to forgive me if being open to sign him doesn't give me thrills. Doesn't that sound like, yeah if no one else would sign you we'll make an offer? If they really wanted him and thought he was a risk of signing somewhere else quickly do you really believe they'd let him go saying we're open to sign you instead of just getting a deal done? I mean it's not like this guy is going to get a ton, what can you really negotiate with this low end signing less than a mil/year difference?

You know what it reminds me of, walking on to a car lot just to check out the new cars because maybe a couple months down the road you might be looking for a car and a salesman asking if you are interested in getting a new car and you reply well I'm open if I find something I like but right now I'm just looking. You really aren't open but maybe down the road you might be.

[/QUOTE]

So, first it was "why are they bringing this guy in NOW, he'll be there in a few weeks!"

Now, it's "I can't believe that this idle phrase by a reporter means the Pats aren't locking this guy up now!  What are they waiting for?"

Seriously, man.  Your negativity about anything and everything the Pats do or don't do right now is ridiculous.

Sections
Shortcuts