WR Donald Jones cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: WR Donald Jones cut

Our great GM shines again.  Signing and releasing another Dog.  I just love BB's, revolving door stability approach that he has incorporated over his tenure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

This was predictable...

A serious kidney problem forcing him to possibly retire was predictable? I didn't see you mention anything about that.

[/QUOTE]

I posted it the same day they signed Jones. He did not finish last season due to this injury, and the Bills did not sign him for the same injury. He signed with zero bonus, because teams knew he was an injury long shot. Too bad, with this group of WR's Jones could have contributed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wow, his kidney issue must be serious. I wonder if he'll retire? 

Makes Jenkins's chances better. I wonder how he would be with a QB like Brady as opposed to a Vick or Ponder?  As long as he can get open and catch, I don't care about his inline speed.

Amendola

Edelman

Jenkins

Dobson

Boyce

Slater

That is my guess.

Long shots: Hawkins, Harrison and Thompkins

Can Boyce practice yet? Slater really should not be getting snaps at WR. 

Dobson came to OTA's out of shape, he better get in line or the train will leave the station without him. Would the Pats entertain Braylon Edwards? Branch part 3? Seems for what ever the reason, Lloyd is definitely out. 

Lots of rookies come in out of NFL shape. Going from the NCAA and those expectations to NFL expectations is a whole new world.  Antowain Smith used to come in every year out of shape and he wasn't even a rookie.

Boyce is supposed to be ready. Why do you ask the board questions if you think you know everything? It's pretty annoying to read lies like "Dobson is out of shape" and then not know if Boyce is on track to be ready, as the Pats played it conservative in mini camp.

Stop asking dumb questions, too. It's very clear they don't want veterans like a Branch or Stallworth blockin the possible progress of younger WRs who are better options at this point, by having their reps taken away in camp.

Get over yourself, Jets fan.

I was at OTA's. you were not. I did not see Boyce play at OTA's, and we were told in the preser that Boyce was injured, and it was wait and see if he was ready for camp. We were also told at the presser that Dobson did not participate the last day of OTA's due to a tight hammy, which was attributed to not being in top shape.

If either of these guys isn't ready to go quickly, they will Taylor Price the season. 

Pats will not have a choice but to bring in a vet. Chances are they would want to preserve Branches legs and not have him go thru an entire camp.

You say they don't want vets in camp, but what are Jenkins, Hawkins, and would have been Jones? They are not rookies, they are vets...

Do me a favor Corky, learn he game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

I guess they are really excited about Michael Jenkins! Well and they could be liking what saw in Kenbrell Thomkins 

I did not have a perspective on Thompkins until today. I got to see today a relay of Cincinnati's game versus Louisville, and I have to say that this pick up is a great one. I he how Thompkins played in that game is how he normally plays, I don't know how it is that he was undrafted. the kid fights hard for the ball. One thing I really like, he comes back to the ball (not wait for the ball to come to him). Very good YAC potential.

For those interested, Bridgewater was cold (started with 0/7 I think) and hot on this game. Very inconsistent. However, he probably deserves some slack because they played the game in the rain. He definitely has a big arm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Our great GM shines again.  Signing and releasing another Dog.  I just love BB's, revolving door stability approach that he has incorporated over his tenure.

Status quo for this GM.  How much time, money and resources were wasted on this character?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wow, just wow guys! Please stop! Every team in every sport adds players to their offseason rosters just to be trimmed down to the active rosters. There's only so many hall of famers to go around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Wow, just wow guys! Please stop! Every team in every sport adds players to their offseason rosters just to be trimmed down to the active rosters. There's only so many hall of famers to go around.

There you go again, injecting rational thought into this thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

It's not so much that they added a piece that later got trimmed down as much as they didn't add anyone to a WR that actually got subtracted from. Jones was one of the bigger WR signings this offseason (that should be scary to use all). Now with them sitting with just over $10mil in cap space ($5mil of which can't be carried over to next season because it was carried over from last season) it's a fair question to ask why they didn't offer Sanders more to ensure they got him or why they didn't retain Welker in addition to the moves they had already made. If they go into the season with this 06' style WR core and end not using that money as it disappears then we should all be pissed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Rocky's comment:

[QUOTE]

I guess they are really excited about Michael Jenkins! Well and they could be liking what saw in Kenbrell Thomkins 

I did not have a perspective on Thompkins until today. I got to see today a relay of Cincinnati's game versus Louisville, and I have to say that this pick up is a great one. I he how Thompkins played in that game is how he normally plays, I don't know how it is that he was undrafted. the kid fights hard for the ball. One thing I really like, he comes back to the ball (not wait for the ball to come to him). Very good YAC potential.

For those interested, Bridgewater was cold (started with 0/7 I think) and hot on this game. Very inconsistent. However, he probably deserves some slack because they played the game in the rain. He definitely has a big arm.

[/QUOTE]

From NFL.com Kenbrell Thompkins 

NFL COMPARISON

Andre Caldwell

STRENGTHS

Possesses just enough size and speed to play outside in the NFL, yet also has enough quickness to find room to run from the slot. Willing to take hits on crossers, and his strong hands allow him to catch balls away from his frame whether challenged or on his own. Goes up and fight for jump balls. Owns the foot quickness and flexibility to drop his hips and cut on outs and comebacks routes, and also the shake and hands off the line to beat press coverage. A physical blocker for run plays and quick screens, extending his arms and mirroring to sustain on the outside and crashing down on linebackers to create running room on off-tackle runs. Uses that physicality to separate from cornerbacks downfield, using his length to extend just before the ball arrives.

WEAKNESSES

Doesn’t necessarily explode off the line, and it takes him a bit of time to get to top speed. Won’t have a size and strength advantage against most NFL cornerbacks. Keeping his feet after making catches downfield would help him get into the end zone more regularly.
    Any time your NFL comparison is Andre Caldwell that's not a good thing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

It's not so much that they added a piece that later got trimmed down as much as they didn't add anyone to a WR that actually got subtracted from. Jones was one of the bigger WR signings this offseason (that should be scary to use all). Now with them sitting with just over $10mil in cap space ($5mil of which can't be carried over to next season because it was carried over from last season) it's a fair question to ask why they didn't offer Sanders more to ensure they got him or why they didn't retain Welker in addition to the moves they had already made. If they go into the season with this 06' style WR core and end not using that money as it disappears then we should all be pissed.

There are many reasons many different people should be pissed if the Pats don't maximize their payroll.

Tickets to a game in Foxboro cost about a million dollars each.  If the team won't pay for top talent, why should fans pay top dollar?

Brady took less to help the team bring in better talent, not to help the team line it's pockets.

Welker was too expensive.

Brutal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Apparently I've missed a major catastrophe in the history of the world:  the sky is falling because the Pats released a wide out who received exactly zero guaranteed $$$. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Apparently I've missed a major catastrophe in the history of the world:  the sky is falling because the Pats released a wide out who received exactly zero guaranteed $$$. 

Considering Jones was suppose to compete for a #2 WR spot and our current #1 WR has missed more games than has played in the last 2 years this is a bit of a big thing. If Jones was competing for a #3/4 WR spot no one would really care but that's not what he was signed for. For example image they just released Kelley. Now he wasn't signed for much but the DT position is thin right now and he's expected to compete for a starting position. Would you feel comfortable knowing how thin that position is knowing how much extra cap space they had that first they released him and second that they didn't spend the money they had to improve that position in FA to begin with?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

Considering Jones was suppose to compete for a #2 WR spot and our current #1 WR has missed more games than has played in the last 2 years this is a bit of a big thing. If Jones was competing for a #3/4 WR spot no one would really care but that's not what he was signed for. For example image they just released Kelley. Now he wasn't signed for much but the DT position is thin right now and he's expected to compete for a starting position. Would you feel comfortable knowing how thin that position is knowing how much extra cap space they had that first they released him and second that they didn't spend the money they had to improve that position in FA to begin with?

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm comfortable waiting for things to unfold a bit before I declare a positional emergency on either side of the football.  That the Pats have cap space is a good thing IMO since it's not at all uncommon for the Pats to pick up some training camp cuts who contribute.  And to be honest, I do not recall many posting when the signing occurred that Jones was going to compete for the #2 position.  If I recall correctly, most had him pegged for a #3/4.  

I'm not suggesting that this applies to you, PatsEng, but I'm seeing posts on this board that strongly suggest that if the Pats signed Calvin Johnson for the vet minimum with no up front money those posters would find fault with it.  My comments are more in response to those posts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

And this is just the beginning......the sky falling is nothing.....the whole world will blow up once training camp starts... ;-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

And this is just the beginning......the sky falling is nothing.....the whole world will blow up once training camp starts... ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Guess I'd better start rummaging for my hard hat, flak jacket and tin foil.  Gotta be prepared, yanno.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm not suggesting that this applies to you, PatsEng, but I'm seeing posts on this board that strongly suggest that if the Pats signed Calvin Johnson for the vet minimum with no up front money those posters would find fault with it.  My comments are more in response to those posts.

Yeah that's crazy. What I'm looking at the $700k for Jones this year. If you look at the Sanders offer (which many thought he'd be a better option than Jones) and instead of signing Jones at that time the extra $700k for Jones was tossed to Sanders he might be on the team right now. To me I'd rather have Sanders than Hawkins or Jenkins. Now at that moment imo BB low balled Sanders hoping to get a good deal and that he was still cap managing so he didn't want to toss that little extra in considering they had Jones. The release of Jones to me signals that under bidding for Sanders because they had Jones might have been a bit short sighted. The sky isn't failing but on an already thin WR core to release a vet who was competing for one the starting outside positions shows how much trouble they could be in at that position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Plus we're stacked at the position.....right? Try one or two less clicks on your helmet strap.  BB has horribly mismanaged the WR position throughout his tenure here with this year starting off as his worst.  The only person happy with what's going on is Rusty.  He will now have lots of opportunity to direct unwarranted criticism Brady's way thanks to BB being a horrible GM.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah that's crazy. What I'm looking at the $700k for Jones this year. If you look at the Sanders offer (which many thought he'd be a better option than Jones) and instead of signing Jones at that time the extra $700k for Jones was tossed to Sanders he might be on the team right now. To me I'd rather have Sanders than Hawkins or Jenkins. Now at that moment imo BB low balled Sanders hoping to get a good deal and that he was still cap managing so he didn't want to toss that little extra in considering they had Jones. The release of Jones to me signals that under bidding for Sanders because they had Jones might have been a bit short sighted. The sky isn't failing but on an already thin WR core to release a vet who was competing for one the starting outside positions shows how much trouble they could be in at that position.

[/QUOTE]

You can't talk sense to the BB'er, who are a radical off shoot of the Birthers and conservative members of the LGBT movement.  BB dumps meatballs in their minds and they willingly and without question eat it up.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You can't talk sense to the BB'er, who are a radical off shoot of the Birthers and conservative members of the LGBT movement.  BB dumps meatballs in their minds and they willingly and without question eat it up.

So shall I conclude that you and I are in mild non-concurrence on the matter of Donald Jones?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm concerned with the gross mismanagement.  He F'ed up the Sanders deal and whiffed hard core on this schlump.  We're starting another year with no NFL caliber, outside the numbers, WR's......woo hoo.  

So it will be the same old same old.  Safety's playing the run since we have no outside threat, our RB getting no gain in critical situations against good defenses which leads to Brady having to throw up 50 passes and the haters blaming him and crying that we need to run more!!

It has been the same thing for the last six years.  Let me know when you see things changing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It has been the same thing for the last six years.  Let me know when you see things changing.

Unhesitatingly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I'm concerned with the gross mismanagement.  He F'ed up the Sanders deal and whiffed hard core on this schlump.  We're starting another year with no NFL caliber, outside the numbers, WR's......woo hoo.  

So it will be the same old same old.  Safety's playing the run since we have no outside threat, our RB getting no gain in critical situations against good defenses which leads to Brady having to throw up 50 passes and the haters blaming him and crying that we need to run more!!

2012 - 3rd

2011 - 2nd

2010 - 8th

2009 - 3rd

2008 - 5th

2007 - 1st

Yep....their offense has absolutely sucked for the last 6 years.....total "gross mismanagement"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

2012 - 3rd

2011 - 2nd

2010 - 8th

2009 - 3rd

2008 - 5th

2007 - 1st

Yep....their offense has absolutely sucked for the last 6 years.....total "gross mismanagement"

[/QUOTE]

Well Tanbass, I do not buy entirely the offensive ranking as proof of that O being really really good. The O's been good, but not as good as the ranks suggest. The O ranks high largely because of how much they pad their score and yards against bad Ds.

I don't often say this, but I actually with most of T-Cal's last post. He described the dynamic, but not sure anymore that the reason is BB's ability to get a good outside the numbers receiver. There is another possible explanation. Some will claim heresy, but maybe TB can't consistently throw well to an outside the numbers receiver. With all the supposedly outside-the-numbers receivers who came and went, when did the Pats actually have that kind of receiver, stats-wise? 

BB could just be bad at assessing receivers. However, if after so many tries to bring in that receiver, nothing changes, one has to consider alternative explanation too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Well Tanbass, I do not buy entirely the offensive ranking as proof of that O being really really good. The O's been good, but not as good as the ranks suggest. The O ranks high largely because of how much they pad their score and yards against bad Ds.

I don't often say this, but I actually with most of T-Cal's last post. He described the dynamic, but not sure anymore that the reason is BB's ability to get a good outside the numbers receiver. There is another possible explanation. Some will claim heresy, but maybe TB can't consistently throw well to an outside the numbers receiver. With all the supposedly outside-the-numbers receivers who came and went, when did the Pats actually have that kind of receiver, stats-wise? 

BB could just be bad at assessing receivers. However, if after so many tries to bring in that receiver, nothing changes, one has to consider alternative explanation too.

While I don't claim anything near perfection within this offense....it's been one hell of a run. Can they improve in the WR dept? Of course they can. But this team won a superbowl with a bunch of no-names. Call me a homer, but I see this as a top offense still....until the stats prove otherwise. To call it "gross mismanagement" is so beyond over dramatic it's ridiculous. If you guys seriously consider this offense so bad to call them "mismanaged"....well, have at it. We see things very differently.