WR Drafted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

WR Drafted

I have a though, take a look at the receivers that patriots selected since 2002

Taylor Price 3rd

Brandon Tate 3rd

Julian Edelman 7rd

Matt Slater 5rd

Chad Jackson 2rd

P.K Sam 5rd

Bethel Johnson 2rd

if u take a look no WR selection in the first round, and recently no WR in the second, this fact can contribute to our failure drafting WR?...what do u think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: WR Drafted

What's a team with a good record of drafting WRs. How about Pittsburgh? Just a few I could think of:

Ward, 3rd round

Wallace, 3rd round

Holmes, 25th pick, 1st round

A. Brown, 6th round

Sanders, 3rd round

Burress, 8th pick, 1st round

So, depending on how you rank them, arguably the best players (Ward, Wallace) were 3rd rounders with the two first rounders just behind them and Brown, a 6th rounder, not far behind those guys.

Doesn't prove anything, but at least shows this is not an exact science.

Fun fact (totally irrelevant to this subject), Mike Trout weighs 245 lbs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wide receivers are just shiny hood ornaments. Beef up the o-line to protect Brady and to pave holes for the running attack.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

What's a team with a good record of drafting WRs. How about Pittsburgh? Just a few I could think of:

Ward, 3rd round

Wallace, 3rd round

Holmes, 25th pick, 1st round

A. Brown, 6th round

Sanders, 3rd round

Burress, 8th pick, 1st round

So, depending on how you rank them, arguably the best players (Ward, Wallace) were 3rd rounders with the two first rounders just behind them and Brown, a 6th rounder, not far behind those guys.

Doesn't prove anything, but at least shows this is not an exact science.

Fun fact (totally irrelevant to this subject), Mike Trout weighs 245 lbs.

good point Muz

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Yeah it's really crazy, they spend lots of picks on receivers and defensive backs that don't pan out.  The linemen are just the opposite, they have usually been very good picks, not bad on tight end either, though Watson never played up to where he was drafted. I think BB is a great GM but  its been either bad luck, bad scouting reports, or a little if both.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Deion Branch in 2002 was their best and only really good receiver drafted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Draft Stedman Bailey, drought ended.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Wide receivers are just shiny hood ornaments. Beef up the o-line to protect Brady and to pave holes for the running attack.

I have to agree Digger--hear this out--Pats already have TB so he's gonna demand attention-but let's say the Pats go all out on some bonecrushing LINEMAN and pound the ball down peoples throats-just need someone with speed to keep the Safeties honest. And lets get some D Lineman to help Vince crush the pocket and pressure the QB-sure will make the DBs life a lot easier.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Like the sound of that!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

I have to agree Digger--hear this out--Pats already have TB so he's gonna demand attention-but let's say the Pats go all out on some bonecrushing LINEMAN and pound the ball down peoples throats-just need someone with speed to keep the Safeties honest. And lets get some D Lineman to help Vince crush the pocket and pressure the QB-sure will make the DBs life a lot easier.

Man I'd love to see that. A team like that with Brady under center would win the Super Bowl. They have been pushed around every time they are eliminated. The Giants and Ravens both did it to them. finesse teams put up good stats in the regular season but its the physical teams that win the Super Bowls.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

WHile it sounds good you have to be able to keep a superior D honest in the playoffs and to do that you need a couple of guys who can keep the secondary honest. You dont have to have Randy Moss but you need someone or two who have to at least be accounted for. So I think we need at least one more reasonably decent WR who can help keep the D from stacking the box.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Taylor Price 3rd ((( Last man standing in the 3rd round after a run on WR's with 7 picks coming off the board just prior to the Pats pick. 7 out of the previous 12 picks before Pats picked. Emmanuel Sanders was part of those 7 picks. )))

Brandon Tate 3rd ((( Drafted primarily as a special teams player who they hoped would be able to contribute elsewhere. Was the holder of the NCAA all purpose yards record at the time he was drafted )))

Julian Edelman 7rd ((( Drafted as a utility project, which is what you often will use a 7th rd pick on )))

Matt Slater 5rd ((( Drafted as a special teams player whom they hoped would be able to contribute elsewhere )))

Chad Jackson 2rd ((( Whiff )))

P.K Sam 5rd ((( There are 5th rounders and later that make it in the league and contribute but if people really thought these late rounders were going to be very good they would get drafted a lot higher and not passed over by the whole league )))

Bethel Johnson 2rd ((( Whiff )))

if u take a look no WR selection in the first round, and recently no WR in the second, this fact can contribute to our failure drafting WR?...what do u think?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Taylor Price 3rd ((( Last man standing in the 3rd round after a run on WR's with 7 picks coming off the board just prior to the Pats pick. 7 out of the previous 12 picks before Pats picked. Emmanuel Sanders was part of those 7 picks. )))

Brandon Tate 3rd ((( Drafted primarily as a special teams player who they hoped would be able to contribute elsewhere. Was the holder of the NCAA all purpose yards record at the time he was drafted )))

Julian Edelman 7rd ((( Drafted as a utility project, which is what you often will use a 7th rd pick on )))

Matt Slater 5rd ((( Drafted as a special teams player whom they hoped would be able to contribute elsewhere )))

Chad Jackson 2rd ((( Whiff )))

P.K Sam 5rd ((( There are 5th rounders and later that make it in the league and contribute but if people really thought these late rounders were going to be very good they would get drafted a lot higher and not passed over by the whole league )))

Bethel Johnson 2rd ((( Whiff )))

Agree. And thanks for putting this thing in perspective. They just need more quality at bars...draft early. Lets just hope we don't go the route of the db carousel. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And ... the Pats selection by round (especially first) tends to be the equivalent of a high pick in the following round as they have consistently been assigned picks in the last few of each round - one reason BB is so willing to trade back a round for additional picks.

But I would also like some numbers on total WR selections from say pick 20 through pick 100 and the total number starting (or still starting) by say their 4th year. Drafting players is a very inexact science and not just for CBs or WRs. There were a surprising number of first round picks in free agency this year and most not being persued (if not actually cut) by their original team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Yeah it's really crazy, they spend lots of picks on receivers and defensive backs that don't pan out.  The linemen are just the opposite, they have usually been very good picks, not bad on tight end either, though Watson never played up to where he was drafted. I think BB is a great GM but  its been either bad luck, bad scouting reports, or a little if both.

i think he pretends its not mostly a one man operation, but mostly it is.

any gm would have re-positioned any scouts that missed dbs or wrs that often (or it'd be their job they could lose).

not havign a coach/ gm combo, ideally the best, definitely has some minuses, evenif your coach is bb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

WHile it sounds good you have to be able to keep a superior D honest in the playoffs and to do that you need a couple of guys who can keep the secondary honest. You dont have to have Randy Moss but you need someone or two who have to at least be accounted for. So I think we need at least one more reasonably decent WR who can help keep the D from stacking the box.

nah, we can just fail in the championship game for another 9 years, instead of getting the few pieces we need to go over the top. too much cap value spending, not enough of just get a player who can do what you need in a few postions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Man I'd love to see that. A team like that with Brady under center would win the Super Bowl. They have been pushed around every time they are eliminated. The Giants and Ravens both did it to them. finesse teams put up good stats in the regular season but its the physical teams that win the Super Bowls.

i think your perspective misses something huge.

the giants and the ravens had good lines but ALSO HAD BIG RECEIVERS TO DO THE NECESSARY WORK CATCHING SOME CLUTCH PASSES (UNLIKE THE PATS FOR A FEW YEARS).

and dont have josh mcdaniel bogging down the offense like a guy who cant drive his ferrari.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Draft Stedman Bailey, drought ended.

productive but a big guy will be harder to stop (think gronk, but in a lither rerceiver).

ie da rich rogers.

tho id be ok with both :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I just do not understand why this team cannot draft a WR....why don't they simply sign a "consultant"/scout to help them...it can't be that hard to do! It has to be the way they value positions vs. contract price....slotted positions are great as long as you get players that can produce...their best receivers have been FA's (Brown), late draft choices (Givens) and pick-ups from other teams (Moss and lil' baldy)...Branch is the only one they've picked in the first three ropunds who has been decent, and o0nce he did well, they refused to resign him.

why?

bb

also why dont the pats hire the best coaches in the nfl for all the psotions other than o line and hc?

bb

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The misses at WR and CB are head scratchers to be sure.  I'm inclined to agree that we do need another credible wideout either in free agency (Sanders perhaps) or the draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I like Woods a lot in that late 2nd spot of the Pats. Ton of production in a pro style offense, great hands, good football speed, albeit not a burner. Pats can use the 2 and still go after a Devery Henderson or DHB for that over the top deep threat. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I like Woods a lot in that late 2nd spot of the Pats. Ton of production in a pro style offense, great hands, good football speed, albeit not a burner. Pats can use the 2 and still go after a Devery Henderson or DHB for that over the top deep threat. 

i have woods in a group of 4 or 5 as backup options. 

id like to grab hopkins and rogers.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts