WR Scott Long

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

WR Scott Long

CBS Sports thinks Scott Long will either be a seventh rounder or undrafted.  That said:

All I have to go on is stats, and Long stands out. 

Long's 40 time was a 4.46.  Not great, but good enough for a top ten listing.

He's 6 foot 2 and he won the vertical leap contest with a 41 inch leap.  If Long goes up for a ball, who is going to cover him?

He tied for first place in bench press reps.  If a defender plays bump and run, Long shoves the other guy back a few yards, turns around and catches the ball.  Jabar Gaffney used to have muscles like that.  Long packs 216 pounds.  It's always nice to see extra muscle on the field.  If nothing else, big heavy guys stay on the field more games than the bugs because they fare better in collisions.

Long ran a 6.45 three cone shuttle time.  He won that combine event by a good margin.  His nearest competition ran a 6.60.  Long is as explosive as Wes Welker, maybe not as explosive as Julian Edelman.

I've read a report that the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in the kid.  Let's see, that's Scott Pioli, Bill Parcells and BB.  Obviously, Long is in the BB mold, which says to go after explosive acceleration, big muscles and height. 

It says here that Long shoots quite a ways up the boards in the next five weeks, won't be available in the seventh round by a long shot, and just maybe BB will snag him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: WR Scott Long

Here's my list of WR's to watch for on Draft Days: Golden Tate,Jordan Shipley,Mardy Gilyard,Eric Decker,Marcus Easley,Bryan Anderson,Donald Brown,Freddie Barnes,Andre Roberts,Gordy Nelson,Riley Cooper,Dez Bryant,Brandon LaFell,Seyo Ajirotutu and I guess Scott Long...To go along with the 3 Williams boys and D.Thomas and of course the local kid Gunnell..Thats 20 really good prospects! I'm thinking I probably missed a few considering there were over 100 WR available in this years draft class...By the way there are 28 total WR ranked in the top 250 players which is approximately the number of players drafted. This is without a doubt the deepest draft in a long time. It should be interesting to see how many players the Patriots draft,they presently have 8 draft choices but they will be receiving 4 compensation picks,3- 7's and a 6 round choice according to some sources. That would bring the draft total to 12 not counting any trades before and during the draft.... This is the mother lode as far as drafts go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Though I wouldn't compare a 6'2 receiver to the diminutive Welker and Edelman, Long's numbers are extremely impressive.

He had the highest composite score of any WR at the combine and had a productive career at a relatively big school.

Which makes me scratch my head and wonder:  Why on earth is he projected as a 7th round pick?  His measurables and production are both very good.  I don't get it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

In Response to WR Scott Long:
    CBS Sports thinks Scott Long will either be a seventh rounder or undrafted.  That said: All I have to go on is stats, and Long stands out.  Long's 40 time was a 4.46.  Not great, but good enough for a top ten listing. He's 6 foot 2 and he won the vertical leap contest with a 41 inch leap.  If Long goes up for a ball, who is going to cover him? He tied for first place in bench press reps.  If a defender plays bump and run, Long shoves the other guy back a few yards, turns around and catches the ball.  Jabar Gaffney used to have muscles like that.  Long packs 216 pounds.  It's always nice to see extra muscle on the field.  If nothing else, big heavy guys stay on the field more games than the bugs because they fare better in collisions. Long ran a 6.45 three cone shuttle time.  He won that combine event by a good margin.  His nearest competition ran a 6.60.  Long is as explosive as Wes Welker, maybe not as explosive as Julian Edelman. I've read a report that the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in the kid.  Let's see, that's Scott Pioli, Bill Parcells and BB.  Obviously, Long is in the BB mold, which says to go after explosive acceleration, big muscles and height.  It says here that Long shoots quite a ways up the boards in the next five weeks, won't be available in the seventh round by a long shot, and just maybe BB will snag him.
    Posted by Paul_K

Sounds Good

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Kyper is an idiot savant, but as to Long... if he was there in the 7th he is a possibility

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'd leapfrog Long up to third round, possibly late second.  I'll even go as far up as pick #53.

More bonus points for Long: 

I've read that he was in a horrid college system:  terrible coach, terrible quarterback.  Those things weren't his fault.

He was described as "heady".  If he's really smart too, BB will be drooling all over this kid's shoes.

Now I'm reading that 6.45 is an all-time combine record time in the 3-cone.  I could use a fact checker right now.  -- Update:  Long may have tied an unofficial 3-cone combine record of 6.45 seconds set 10 years ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd take him in the 6th-- or whenever I feel as if the Chiefs or Phins might try to make a move at him. WR is a need for this team, and assuming we fixed all the needs on defense with the first 2 picks, WR should be the 2nd priority on offense after OT.

His scouting report makes him seem like a great addition. A mixture of Pattan, Welker, Moss, and Branch. Brady loves those guys!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

Scott Long is a projected 7th rder for 1 reason and 1 reason ONLY:  What I've been saying about this upcoming 2010 Draft Class is very true:  
         FIRST:  Regarding the "Elite Talent" factor of draftees who will not just be starters on your team, but project to be "impact players"- Whereas in most if not all drafts at least in recent memory, the usual cut-off limit for being even able to target such players could and would fall anywhere from Rd 1 selection 1-anywhere from Round 1 selection 12(at worst)-20(at best)...Yet in this 2010 Class, I see far deeper Elite talents, and thus Teams in Draft '10, can and will be targeting these "impact guys" all the way into Rd 2, anywhere roughly from 3-9 of the first selections into this second round. 
         SECOND (and this is where wr Scott Long is concerned):  Regarding selecting "NON-Elite" Talent, BUT Starters/Core-Team Players- Whereas again, in most if not all drafts in recent memory once more, the cut-off limit could and would fall anywhere really-1/3-halfway through Rd 2 (at worst)-maybe (barely) being able to select still a MAJORITY draftees from those on the board, who could project as core talent/starters, To the first third-(maybe) bottom third of the 3rd rd (again, guys can be found anywhere obviously, but I'm talking MAJORITY rule here)...Yet in this 2010 Draft Class, Teams WILL be able to still target draftees who can and will be within this second-tier of NFL Players ("NON-elite" but potential starters/core team players), UNTIL the very end of Round 4, and even into 5 in several positional cases (wr being one of them)...

~CHECK OUT these wide receivers in this 2010 Draft Class (to just show 1 example)...
    < />Potential as the NFL Elite Talent wrs: Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Brandon LaFell, Damian Williams...  Now, even though each positions true depth is different, ironically enough the "wr example" I offer fits perfectly, As some of these elite talents in almost all-probability should fall within these 5 true projected Impact-Guys, ALL being taken off the board somewhere in that very early first 1/4-1/3 of Rd 2. 
    < />So then check out draftees for the wideout spot who have that Potential as Team Starters/Core Players (now, or somewhere in the team's future): Mardy Gilyard, Blair White, Andre Roberts, Carlton Mitchel, Jacoby Ford, Demaryius Thomas, Jeremy Williams, Jordan Shipley, Shay Hodge, Taylor Price, Riley Cooper, Dezmon Briscoe, Marcus Easley, Mike Williams, Eric Decker, Danario Alexander...      
         Man just LOOK at that freakin' List, would you people!  IF you love the NFL Draft even half as much as I do, That List is utterly amazing...that's No Less than 16 draftees (not including the 5 potentially projected as "elite-starters")- Just draftees who CAN project as future starters/core players for your franchise (again, obviously both in elite and just plain starting talent, there Will Be Busts-as there always has and will be, Just As there Will be non-drafted guys and wideouts I have not listed who WILL make it, BUT simply the sheer depths of these "projected core-guys" at this given position-1 of many positions in '10- IS astounding)...  
         And see now, This is exactly where someone like Scott Long comes into play...  ALL those wideouts (of second-list) will NOT be taken off the board in all-probability, until the last couple of the wrs, holding out being finally targeted until into Round 5...  SO, Some Poster asked, "Why Scott Long is a projected 6th-7th rder?"  Well, Just look at that insane depth of talent, which is just as deep as a handful of other positions on the field...and you'll conclude the ONLY obvious thing one CAN conclude:  In ANY other year, someone like Scott Long could and would be targeted far, far earlier, and really anywhere from a 3rd rder (of an awful draft class)- maybe a late 4th/5th rder (of a better draft class year)...  YET, Long's a late 5th-6th- early 7th rder in this obscenely deep 2010 Draft Class of Talent... 

Finally, RE: Scott Long's potential as a #2 WR for NE...  I think he fits the archetype perfectly imo.  Personally, I've had my heart set on Eric Decker since the very beginning of the season, but Decker just might be off the board a decent time earlier than Scott Long (but who actually knows)...  IF NE were to target Long, I trully hope and I'd be completely fine with NE using their 6th rder on Scott Long (Decker's a tougher choice, because considering NE doesn't have a 5th rder, Decker would have to be selected in most probability with NE's 4th rder, which is too high imo for either Long, and just a little too high for Decker...So Decker will probably be gone by NE's 6th rder, but hopefully Long just might still be available).  Compensatory Selection options are another possibility with targeting Scott Long;
    < />RE: Compensatory Selections...we'll know by Monday where and how NE has made out (personally, they should have 3-4 compensatory picks imo, and sorry all- But maybe, just maybe 1 imho might be a 6th rder, but imo NOT any comp picks any earlier than that-the other 2-3 being 7th rders)...  

~FINAL ANALYSIS~ 
    In BOTH Eric Decker's and Scott Long's abilities and physical prowess, these two wideouts are vastly similiar in both circumstances, and have what I personally would want out of a #2 WR:  
    < />First the PHYSICAL-Aspect: I want my #2 WR as at least 6'2 and over 200-maybe-over-210lbs (Decker-6'3 217lbs/Long-6'2 216lbs)...considering he has to be a somewhat all-purpose possession guy, big-enough to take a crunching blow over the middle/out jump a smaller CB on a post or in endzone.   
    < />Second the SKILL-ASPECT, I want my #2 WR to critically have certain abilities that are imo MORE important than others (ideally you want all abilities cultivated, but the world ain't perfect is it?): 
         Alright...Speed (Decker-4.52 40/Long-4.47 40...nothin' to write home about for the wr position)-BUT Personally, I could care less about elite speed on my #2WR.  
         Instead of blazing wr-speed, I want crisp NFL-esque route trees (check in both cases). 
         Instead of having ankle-breaking cuts (like I want from my slot-receiver), I'll go with totally sure-hands on my #2 wr (check in both cases as well). 
         Instead of putting it all-the-above togetherand thus having amazing abilities for YAC (yards after catch), I'll go with strength and a fearlessness going over the middle (check on both players yet again- as both are very strong and both simply play "big"). 
         Now, oddly enough BOTH Scott Long and Eric Decker have the couple other ideal traits, I want from my #2 possession wideout- Very good football IQ (in order to read zones, find soft spots, adjust to the overall play of the defense and the qb), and BOTH have a good work-ethic...   

Sorry ALL about my usual novel-length of my post again, Yet I hope it was interesting though...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Pattan for his physicality, Welker for his quickness, Moss for height and leaping ability, and Branch because... just because I put all of Brady's other favorite receiving threats. And Long and Branch ran around the same 40 yard dash.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: WR Scott Long:
    To ALL : Scott Long is a projected 7th rder for 1 reason and 1 reason ONLY :  What I've been saying about this upcoming 2010 Draft Class is very true :        FIRST :  Regarding the "Elite Talent" factor of draftees who will not just be starters on your team, but project to be "impact players"- Whereas in most if not all drafts at least in recent memory, the usual cut-off limit for being even able to target such players could and would fall anywhere from Rd 1 selection 1-anywhere from Round 1 selection 12(at worst)-20(at best)...Yet in this 2010 Class, I see far deeper Elite talents, and thus Teams in Draft '10, can and will be targeting these "impact guys" all the way into Rd 2, anywhere roughly from 3-9 of the first selections into this second round.       SECOND (and this is where wr Scott Long is concerned):  Regarding selecting "NON-Elite" Talent, BUT Starters/Core-Team Players- Whereas again, in most if not all drafts in recent memory once more, the cut-off limit could and would fall anywhere really-1/3-halfway through Rd 2 (at worst)-maybe (barely) being able to select still a MAJORITY draftees from those on the board, who could project as core talent/starters, To the first third-(maybe) bottom third of the 3rd rd (again, guys can be found anywhere obviously, but I'm talking MAJORITY rule here)...Yet in this 2010 Draft Class, Teams WILL be able to still target draftees who can and will be within this second-tier of NFL Players ("NON-elite" but potential starters/core team players), UNTIL the very end of Round 4, and even into 5 in several positional cases (wr being one of them)... ~ CHECK OUT these wide receivers in this 2010 Draft Class (to just show 1 example) ... < />Potential as the NFL Elite Talent wrs: Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Brandon LaFell, Damian Williams...  Now, even though each positions true depth is different, ironically enough the "wr example" I offer fits perfectly, As some of these elite talents in almost all-probability should fall within these 5 true projected Impact-Guys, ALL being taken off the board somewhere in that very early first 1/4-1/3 of Rd 2.  < />So then check out draftees for the wideout spot who have that Potential as Team Starters/Core Players (now, or somewhere in the team's future): Mardy Gilyard, Blair White, Andre Roberts, Carlton Mitchel, Jacoby Ford, Demaryius Thomas, Jeremy Williams, Jordan Shipley, Shay Hodge, Taylor Price, Riley Cooper, Dezmon Briscoe, Marcus Easley, Mike Williams, Eric Decker, Danario Alexander...            Man just LOOK at that freakin' List, would you people!  IF you love the NFL Draft even half as much as I do, That List is utterly amazing...that's No Less than 16 draftees (not including the 5 potentially projected as "elite-starters")- Just draftees who CAN project as future starters/core players for your franchise (again, obviously both in elite and just plain starting talent, there Will Be Busts-as there always has and will be, Just As there Will be non-drafted guys and wideouts I have not listed who WILL make it, BUT simply the sheer depths of these "projected core-guys" at this given position-1 of many positions in '10- IS astounding)...        And see now, This is exactly where someone like Scott Long  comes into play...  ALL those wideouts (of second-list) will NOT be taken off the board in all-probability, until the last couple of the wrs, holding out being finally targeted until into Round 5...   SO, Some Poster asked, " Why Scott Long is a projected 6th-7th rder ?"  Well, Just look at that insane depth of talent, which is just as deep as a handful of other positions on the field...and you'll conclude the ONLY obvious thing one CAN conclude:  In ANY other year, someone like Scott Long could and would be targeted far, far earlier , and really anywhere from a 3rd rder (of an awful draft class)- maybe a late 4th/5th rder (of a better draft class year)...  YET, Long's a late 5th-6th- early 7th rder in this obscenely deep 2010 Draft Class of Talen t ...  Finally, RE : Scott Long's potential as a #2 WR for NE ...  I think he fits the archetype perfectly imo.  Personally, I've had my heart set on Eric Decker since the very beginning of the season, but Decker just might be off the board a decent time earlier than Scott Long (but who actually knows)...  IF NE were to target Long, I trully hope and I'd be completely fine with NE using their 6th rder on Scott Long (Decker's a tougher choice, because considering NE doesn't have a 5th rder, Decker would have to be selected in most probability with NE's 4th rder, which is too high imo for either Long, and just a little too high for Decker...So Decker will probably be gone by NE's 6th rder, but hopefully Long just might still be available).  Compensatory Selection options are another possibility with targeting Scott Long; < /> RE : Compensatory Selections ...we'll know by Monday where and how NE has made out (personally, they should have 3-4 compensatory picks imo, and sorry all- But maybe, just maybe 1 imho might be a 6th rder, but imo NOT any comp picks any earlier than that-the other 2-3 being 7th rders)...        ~FINAL ANALYSIS~  In BOTH Eric Decker's and Scott Long's abilities and physical prowess, these two wideouts are vastly similiar in both circumstances, and have what I personally would want out of a #2 WR :   < />First the PHYSICAL-Aspect: I want my #2 WR as at least 6'2 and over 200-maybe-over-210lbs (Decker-6'3 217lbs/Long-6'2 216lbs)...considering he has to be a somewhat all-purpose possession guy, big-enough to take a crunching blow over the middle/out jump a smaller CB on a post or in endzone.    < />Second the SKILL-ASPECT, I want my #2 WR to critically have certain abilities that are imo MORE important than others (ideally you want all abilities cultivated, but the world ain't perfect is it?):       Alright...Speed (Decker-4.52 40/Long-4.47 40...nothin' to write home about for the wr position)-BUT Personally, I could care less about elite speed on my #2WR.        Instead of blazing wr-speed, I want crisp NFL-esque route trees (check in both cases).       Instead of having ankle-breaking cuts (like I want from my slot-receiver), I'll go with totally sure-hands on my #2 wr (check in both cases as well).       Instead of putting it all-the-above togetherand thus having amazing abilities for YAC (yards after catch), I'll go with strength and a fearlessness going over the middle (check on both players yet again- as both are very strong and both simply play "big").       Now, oddly enough BOTH Scott Long and Eric Decker have the couple other ideal traits, I want from my #2 possession wideout- Very good football IQ (in order to read zones, find soft spots, adjust to the overall play of the defense and the qb), and BOTH have a good work-ethic...    Sorry ALL about my usual novel-length of my post again, Yet I hope it was interesting though...
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium
    If you are bored try looking at the WR who made Dan Lafevour the QB he is today,Bryan Anderson 6'5" 220 route running machine, Or the sure handed WR Freddie Barnes and Donald Brown there are many exceptional WR's available this year..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

What school did he go to?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Paul K - love your enthusiasm and insight, HOWEVER, I believe there are ALOT of other problem,issues than whether or not we should draft this guy in the 7th round. Love the enthusuasm in March though!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: WR Scott Long:
    What school did he go to?
    Posted by patsfaninsatx
    Scott Long went to Louisville and Bryan Anderson went to Central Michigan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to WR Scott Long:
    CBS Sports thinks Scott Long will either be a seventh rounder or undrafted.  That said: All I have to go on is stats, and Long stands out.  Long's 40 time was a 4.46.  Not great, but good enough for a top ten listing. He's 6 foot 2 and he won the vertical leap contest with a 41 inch leap.  If Long goes up for a ball, who is going to cover him? He tied for first place in bench press reps.  If a defender plays bump and run, Long shoves the other guy back a few yards, turns around and catches the ball.  Jabar Gaffney used to have muscles like that.  Long packs 216 pounds.  It's always nice to see extra muscle on the field.  If nothing else, big heavy guys stay on the field more games than the bugs because they fare better in collisions. Long ran a 6.45 three cone shuttle time.  He won that combine event by a good margin.  His nearest competition ran a 6.60.  Long is as explosive as Wes Welker, maybe not as explosive as Julian Edelman. I've read a report that the Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins have expressed interest in the kid.  Let's see, that's Scott Pioli, Bill Parcells and BB.  Obviously, Long is in the BB mold, which says to go after explosive acceleration, big muscles and height.  It says here that Long shoots quite a ways up the boards in the next five weeks, won't be available in the seventh round by a long shot, and just maybe BB will snag him.
    Posted by Paul_K

I think it would be great if we could acquire a tall, athletic, sure handed, good route running WR who can fight for the ball whenever he needs to. Whether we do it thru the draft or get the likes of Brandon Marshall - we do need someone opposite of Moss - BUT NOT ANOTHER SLOT WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Somebody asked where he went, and I don't think it was ever answered, He went to Louieville. ANd one of the biggest knocks on him was he has only had one year of really good production, his senior season, so that is probably why he is a 6-7th rounder, although somebody, the raiders, may draft him really early because of his triangle numbers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Just taking a flyer on the guy with the best numbers.  Once upon a time, Mayo was the guy flying up the board on the strength of his numbers alone.  Without those numbers Mayo could have been, what, a fourth rounder?

Sections
Shortcuts