WR Torrey Holt Soon to Be a Jaguar?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

WR Torrey Holt Soon to Be a Jaguar?

Thats' the way things look...as the WR starved Jaguars try to plug some holes. Interesting that the 32 year old Holt would choose to play for a team thats' not expected to be a contender, even within their own division: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4079600 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: WR Torrey Holt Soon to Be a Jaguar?

As playing for a winner appears not to be Holt's motivation, one would assume his motivation is money. What I find interesting is that the Jags, a mediocre team in a band-box market, would offer more than any other team in the league. Could it be that people who know about such things believe Holt has outlived his usefulness? Did he price himself out of the market? This looks so much like TO-to-Buffalo that one wonders if at least some of the NFL teams are beginning to show some fiscal responsibility in these troubled times. How does Blue New Jersey not need Tory Holt? or Chicago? or Green New Jersy, for that matter? I guess we'll know more when somebody goes after Anquan Boldin (or doesn't).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]As playing for a winner appears not to be Holt's motivation, one would assume his motivation is money. What I find interesting is that the Jags, a mediocre team in a band-box market, would offer more than any other team in the league. Could it be that people who know about such things believe Holt has outlived his usefulness? Did he price himself out of the market? This looks so much like TO-to-Buffalo that one wonders if at least some of the NFL teams are beginning to show some fiscal responsibility in these troubled times. How does Blue New Jersey not need Tory Holt? or Chicago? or Green New Jersy, for that matter? I guess we'll know more when somebody goes after Anquan Boldin (or doesn't).
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Agree...Holt had some knee problems and has disappeared from NFL relevance since the Ram's decline. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

[QUOTE]Agree...Holt had some knee problems and has disappeared from NFL relevance since the Ram's decline. 
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by NESportnut[/QUOTE]
    Wow I screwed that up! Yeh, Torry sort of disappeared, the biggest reason is that the Rams o/line can't keep Bulger upright long enough to throw the ball! I think the knee  is a nagging prob but, he still has something in the tank maybe a year or two but what is his asking price? Is it astronomical? I haven't heard what he's after

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]As playing for a winner appears not to be Holt's motivation, one would assume his motivation is money. What I find interesting is that the Jags, a mediocre team in a band-box market, would offer more than any other team in the league. Could it be that people who know about such things believe Holt has outlived his usefulness? Did he price himself out of the market? This looks so much like TO-to-Buffalo that one wonders if at least some of the NFL teams are beginning to show some fiscal responsibility in these troubled times. How does Blue New Jersey not need Tory Holt? or Chicago? or Green New Jersey, for that matter? I guess we'll know more when somebody goes after Anquan Boldin (or doesn't).
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Interesting points, Mike. I think we'll be able to ascertain such things once we learn about how much the Jags had to pay to sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I am surprised the Eagles are not making a push for him or the Bears

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Torry Holt is a Jaguar. He signed a two year deal...terms have not yet been disclosed: http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-04-20/story/receiver_torry_holt_and_jaguars_agree_to_two-year_deal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

ESPN is now reporting that Holt got a 3 year deal, with no signing bonus. But, his first year with the team is guaranteed. His base salary over the 3 years comes to $13mil.. With incentives, Holt can earn up to $20mil. over the 3 years: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4084662

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The Jags were picked by some to win it all last year after Brady went down. They had injury woes last year on the O line and they lost their long time DC as he became the HC of teh Falcons so they had a down year. David Garrard is still a good QB, Del Rio is still a good head coach and Jones Drew is still a beast. Holt made a great choice and if they can stay healthy i think we see a much better Jags team this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Yeah, the Jaguars went from being the next big thing to yesterday's news in the blink of an eye. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Jag-offs this year. Count me among those who are not yet sold on David Garard, but Jacksonville can run the ball a little and any team that gives the Steelers fits can't be all bad. Is it even worth mentioning that injuries killed them last year? Injuries kill every team every year. That's why the most important component of any team is depth, and Jacksonville don't have that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Some teams are equiped to deal with the injury bug like the Pats for example but not all coaches can deal with losing lots of peopel to injury. The jags were not ready for the injury bug and it killed them but that does not mean they are not a good football team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

No, it means they're not a deep team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Some teams are equiped to deal with the injury bug like the Pats for example but not all coaches can deal with losing lots of peopel to injury. The jags were not ready for the injury bug and it killed them but that does not mean they are not a good football team.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Since they play our division this year they could have a role to play in the final standings. We get them 2nd to last week. Even though I expect us to have the division locked up by then the game could be important to playoff home field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I think the Jags will have a better record then the Titans this year playing in that div. I also think the Colts will fall from grace a little bit this year now that Saint Dungy has left them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]     ESPN is now reporting that Holt got a 3 year deal, with no signing bonus. But, his first year with the team is guaranteed. His base salary over the 3 years comes to $13mil.. With incentives, Holt can earn up to $20mil. over the 3 years: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4084662
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Generally, everybody wants to win, but especially veterans.  If not, I don't think they would have made it past their first NFL contract.  They would have looked at the money they earned (more than they ever dreamed), and mailed it in from there. 

But even as veterans age, there is still a threshold where the money means more than the opportunity to win.  One is guaranteed the other is not.  In Torrey Holt's case, the Jags offer likely significantly exceeded the offers from teams with a better chance to win.  Additionally, the Jags are not Detroit.  With Jax, at least there is a glimmer of hope to go along with the money.

I'd like to think (although I do not know) that there were not a lot of big offers out there for someone like Fred Taylor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Taylor is an excellent example of a player in a similar position. Mileage. Durability questions. Potentially living on a rep that is no longer accurate. These guys are crapshoots. You might get vintage and you might get injured reserve. As Mr. Miyagi says, "first learn balance." The money has to balance the risk. From a players' standpoint, I'm sure your average free agent would love to play for the Steelers (have you seen their schedule? Somebody made a trip to the bakery), but the Steelers aren't in the habit of throwing money around. It's all well and good for guys with options to take less money to put themselves in a better position to chase the ring, but by and large I stick to what I said at the top of the page.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

There is no denying that Holt makes this team better though even if they had a bad season last season he makes them better and gives them at least legit WR

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Mr. Miyagi??  Didn't that guy run a diner?  

I am not suggesting that Jax did not overpay.  I think wthat is pretty obvious.  However, defining a player as interested in money and not winning is derogatory in its context and that context is not entirely accurate in this situation because:

1.  Holt was paid so much more than I think any of us expected.  It begs the question - how could he turn it down?
    2.  The jags stand a fighting chance to win.  if Miami can go from 1-15 to the playoffs, anything is possible. 

Sections
Shortcuts