Yates: Observations from 11th practice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Yates: Observations from 11th practice

I know it's only Training camp but I haven’t had this good a feeling about the WR position in over 10 years.  Add a healthy GRONK to the mix and Vereen as the lead back and we’re talking what could be a very special Offence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

I agree..looks good so far...let's just hope they get to go up against Chung more than once this year...:)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Observations from 11th practice August, 7, 2013 Aug 7 2:54 PM ET By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com PHILADELPHIA -- The Patriots and Eagles were back at it on Wednesday, working together for just over two hours across the four practice fields outside of the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia.

Below are some of our observations from the session, the final major work day before the teams square off in preseason action this Friday.

[+] EnlargeTom Brady AP Photo/Matt RourkeThe Tom Brady-led Patriots offense focused more on red zone work Wednesday than in Tuesday's session. 1. The offense wasn't quite as sharp as it was on Tuesday, but there were stretches during which it stood out. The biggest takeaway from this vantage point was the effectiveness of the vertical passing game. The Patriots have a pair of long field-stretchers in Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins, something they were less reliant on last season. Julian Edelman was also targeted on a deep throw from Tom Brady on Wednesday, and though he has the straight line speed to test a defense vertically, Dobson and Thompkins' size and catch radius make them more adept to contest 50-50 balls down the field than Edelman. On successive plays during an 11-on-11 period, Thompkins and Dobson had catches over the top of the Eagles secondary.   RESPONSE: This is indeed promising.

2. More emphasis on red zone work today than we saw on Tuesday, starting in the 1-on-1 drills. We saw the teams focus on competitive catch situations specifically, with quarterbacks repping fade and corner routes. During the early goings of 1-on-1s, Dobson had some struggles getting off of press coverage, though his length allowed him to track the ball well. One player that has done well in competitive catch situations throughout camp is undrafted rookie wide receiver Quentin Sims. He's a big target at 6-foot-3, 202 pounds.

3. All three returned to practice and appeared fine, but Kyle Arrington, Dobson and fellow rookie receiver Josh Boyce all left the field momentarily for attention from the team's trainers. It looked like a calf issue for Dobson, while Arrington may have taken a cleat to his right ankle. It was unclear what Boyce was dealing with.   RESPONSE: Players are going to go through muscle tweaks, as they round into shape. Perhaps there's not enough emphasis placed on stretching exercises. No one likes to do them...as they cause discomfort and pain. But, when a player is limber, he might have a better chance of escaping those sometimes devastating non-contact injuries. 
    4. One of the things that the Eagles' unique offense could force front-seven players to do is play more in space and in coverage, as Rob Ninkovich did on Wednesday. The ability to perform a variety of roles from one play to the next makes him among the most invaluable Patriots defenders.

5. Without tackling, it's difficult to effectively evaluate offensive and defensive linemen, but defensive tackle Marcus Forston continues to look quick, nimble and in good shape. He flashed during team drills and looks to be right in the mix among the defensive tackles to start next to Vince Wilfork.   RESPONSE: More good news. The Pats needs to find someone who can take some reps for Vince Wilfolk...and need another good interior player on the DL.

6. Brandon Spikes became a difference-maker for the Patriots in 2012 due in large part to his ability to force turnovers. On Wednesday he managed a strip of Eagles running back Chris Polk, dislodging the ball as Polk was working laterally toward the sideline.   RESPONSE: If his head is ever screwed on straight, Spikes could consistently become a dominant force at ILB.  

7. Heady play by Logan Mankins during a team drill, making contact with an Eagles defensive lineman who had jumped into the neutral zone before the snap and was trying to retreat back to his side of the line of scrimmage before the snap. With game officials once again at practice, the play was blown dead as the guilty Eagles defender was flagged for a neutral zone infraction.

8. The "rub" route concept is a staple of most NFL playbooks, particularly near the goal line. The gist of the route combination is having two receivers aligned to one side of the formation, with the outside receiver running a slant and the inside (slot) receiver running an out-breaking route toward the sideline. The idea is for the two to rub off of each other and have the players defending them cross paths. The hope is that one of the two receivers will break free from man coverage, often times with the first read toward the out-breaking wideout. Near the end of practice, the Patriots were hoping to connect with Danny Amendola on an out from the rub concept, but it looked like Dobson got caught up by his defender, causing a traffic jam at the mesh point of the routes.
    9. The Eagles have shown some read-option looks throughout training camp, and the thought crossed our mind that these practices now will serve as good preparation for the regular season, as the Patriots may play six games against divisional opponents that can run the read option. From the sound of things in New York and Buffalo, the Jets and Bills will have some read option elements to their offenses (particularly if their respective rookies win the starting job), while Ryan Tannehill is an exceptional athlete capable of doing the same for Miami.   RESPONSE: Defenses are going to be much better prepared to handle that type of offense, this season. Let the running QB beware!

10. Safety thoughts: We wondered during the offseason whether the Patriots would find a way to use Adrian Wilson as a coverage linebacker in their dime defensive package. We saw some three-safety looks on Wednesday, something that could open up that possibility. ... Tavon Wilson has had some struggles in camp, while rookie Duron Harmon has appeared to get more reps of late. Perhaps he can leapfrog up to the fourth safety spot on the depth chart.   RESPONSE: Sorry guys...but the Tavon Wilson/Duron Harmon picks, at #48 in 2012, and at #91  this year, were awful selections. Both players should have been late round picks, at best. 

11. 1-on-1 notes: Tight end Zach Sudfeld made one of the more acrobatic catches of the day, deflecting a pass in the corner of the end zone to himself and hauling it in. He was solid for a second straight day, but did have a couple of drops to go along with the standout catch. ... Amendola started off the 1-on-1s in style, reaching up and over Patrick Chung for a slick catch on a throw from Brady. He continues to impress.   RESPONSE: With AH gone, Gronk still recovering, and Ballard looking bad, this is great news.    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746314/observations-from-11th-practice

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"RESPONSE: Sorry guys...but the Tavon Wilson/Duron Harmon picks, at #48 in 2012, and at #91  this year, were awful selections. Both players should have been late round picks, at best."

Another example of BB trying to be the smartes guy in the room.  The only positive is Ras-i was even a worse pick at 33.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I know it's only Training camp but I haven’t had this good a feeling about the WR position in over 10 years.  Add a healthy GRONK to the mix and Vereen as the lead back and we’re talking what could be a very special Offence.

I agree.  It's only camp and we all need to temper our excitment with thoughts of Terrance Nunn, but the receivers look like what we've really needed for a while.  Forget all the moaning from our would-be offensive coordinators about the need for more running plays.  (we saw how much a better running game helped last year.) What we've really needed are better downfield and perimeter receivers and it looks like we may finally have them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Wilson's time might be up with McCourty moving to FS, it means Wilson's position is filled. He's not a SS, that is Duron's job to take.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Wilson's time might be up with McCourty moving to FS, it means Wilson's position is filled. He's not a SS, that is Duron's job to take.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

Speaking of which did Duron finally get to Foxboro? I haven't heard a thing about him this preseason. I'm wondering if he got lost or if his GPS told him to take a left onto a golf course

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Thanks for the ino APpats

Also from today's practice...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/08/aqib_talib_had_more_fun_than_anyone_today

Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib had more fun than anyone on the field today during the Pats-Eagles joint practices.

Most notable, he practically threw a parade while celebrating Kenbrell Thompkins' impressive back-shoulder catch at the 2-yard line on a Tom Brady pass. Talib, who was standing with the rest of the Patriots defensive backs a few feet away from Thompkins, screamed loud enough to crack the Liberty Bell before running up and down the sideline.

"When I’m on the sidelines, I’m watching Tom," Talib said. "I’m a fan just like everybody else."

AND

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746321/talibs-excitement-hard-to-miss

When rookie receiver Aaron Dobson beat triple coverage and reached up to catch the football at its highest point on a long bomb from quarterback Tom Brady, the most excited person on the practice field seemed to be Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib.

He raced up and down the sideline, his voice rising in celebration.

A few plays later, when fellow rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins made a long catch down the field against tight coverage, Talib was at it again.

The excitement stood out.

“It’s fun, man. It’s the NFL, man. You watch Tom Brady throw bombs. He’s on my team. Hey man, that’s fun,” Talib explained afterward. “The young wideouts out there making plays -- AD and KT, they’re downfield making plays on the ball, man. That’s fun.

Everything I read lately is TFB looking awesome!

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No question, the reports all seem to point to two things:

1) Brady sharp as he's ever been;

2) Pats may actually have a deep threat or two.

Great stuff, all in all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

It will be interesting watching Brady operate during the preseason games and how he reacts to the rookies when they make mistakes. From all reports he is being very demanding but at the same time he is putting in the extra work to get them up to speed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

sounds good!. Great to Hear Talib is being a team palyer and keeping it light. Could he be a leader for us?  Would be a great plus

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

sounds good!. Great to Hear Talib is being a team palyer and keeping it light. Could he be a leader for us?  Would be a great plus

I was just about to say the same thing.  That's great news that he seems to be buying into the team concept.  Having another leader emerge in the secondary would be a huge plus, especially from a guy who most considered his attitude to be the biggest possible setback.

I hope we can lock him up for the next 3-4 years.

Words cannot express how excited I am about this team.  BB will have them coming out with a vengeance this season.  And that is when they are at their best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If we are healthy the AFC is between Pats, Denver with Cin trying but not quite able to break into the group (watch out for their 2ble TE O paired with AC Green). I dont think the Ravens totally weather all those changes (especially after giving away Bolden and losing Pitta for the year).

"surprise teams" will be KC with Andy Reid and St Louis with Fisher and all their improvements.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

If we are healthy the AFC is between Pats, Denver with Cin trying but not quite able to break into the group (watch out for their 2ble TE O paired with AC Green). I dont think the Ravens totally weather all those changes (especially after giving away Bolden and losing Pitta for the year).

"surprise teams" will be KC with Andy Reid and St Louis with Fisher and all their improvements.

You dont think Houston makes a run this year and that Reed makes their secondary competent now? I know we beat em twice last year but A.J. was a shell of himself coming back and their secondary was rough but with that returning front 7 and some leadership in the back end, I think they will be there as well. They wont win anything, but they are in the mix. Cincy is there, its just a matter of their Qb taking the next step which he looks poised to do. Was to hesitant last year in big games. Cincys RB Giovanni is a beast too. I think KC is gonna Flop

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I was just about to say the same thing.  That's great news that he seems to be buying into the team concept.  Having another leader emerge in the secondary would be a huge plus, especially from a guy who most considered his attitude to be the biggest possible setback.

Words cannot express how excited I am about this team.  BB will have them coming out with a vengeance this season.  And that is when they are at their best.

YEPPER!  Talib has been a pleasant surprise and I like that he looks better and more comfortable. I still dont like the depth though. We have no room for error back there. Its obvious we cant count on Ras I or this logan kid so what happens when Dennard or Talib go down? I hope BB brings in a vet playmaker. D.Hall maybe?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

YEPPER!  Talib has been a pleasant surprise and I like that he looks better and more comfortable. I still dont like the depth though. We have no room for error back there. Its obvious we cant count on Ras I or this logan kid so what happens when Dennard or Talib go down? I hope BB brings in a vet playmaker. D.Hall maybe?

Are you referring to Deangelo Hall?  He's still with the Skins.  Even if he was released, I wouldn't want him here.  Although he's a fellow Hokie, not much of a DHall fan.  He's like an Asante Samuel type.  Just tries to jump routes for flashy picks and doesn't worry if he gets beat.

I think our depth is fine, no worse than the average team.  We have a lot of guys in the secondary with versatility.  Arrington, although fit more for the slot, can fill in on the outside and do a serviceable job if one of the two starters goes down.  Jury is out on Dowling.  If worse comes to worst, McCourty can always slide back in at CB if one of the younger safety emerges.  The good thing is that the Pats have options.  I'm not saying that those options are a pro-bowl backup who can come in a pinch, but guys who can do a decent job.

Like many have pointed out, if we can get a consistent pass rush this year, our secondary woes will not be as exaggerated.  That's where it all starts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Are you referring to Deangelo Hall?  He's still with the Skins.  Even if he was released, I wouldn't want him here.  Although he's a fellow Hokie, not much of a DHall fan.  He's like an Asante Samuel type.  Just tries to jump routes for flashy picks and doesn't worry if he gets beat.

I think our depth is fine, no worse than the average team.  We have a lot of guys in the secondary with versatility.  Arrington, although fit more for the slot, can fill in on the outside and do a serviceable job if one of the two starters goes down.  Jury is out on Dowling.  If worse comes to worst, McCourty can always slide back in at CB if one of the younger safety emerges.  The good thing is that the Pats have options.  I'm not saying that those options are a pro-bowl backup who can come in a pinch, but guys who can do a decent job.

Like many have pointed out, if we can get a consistent pass rush this year, our secondary woes will not be as exaggerated.  That's where it all starts.

Hey Im not a big D.Hall fan either, Its just the 1st name that came to me as guys who were available a few months ago. The reason I say him is because one thing he has is confidence. If we are talking about depth, I would rather have a veteran who can step up and not be intimidated by the moment. D.Hall is that. Does he gamble, hell yea but he is a solid tackler, forces a lot of fumbles and would hold his own as opposed to Logan Ryan being out there who I have no faith in. I think the average team has 2 starters who are usually finish the season. The Pats have had the biggest carousel in the secondary I can remember so you have to take that into account. Dennard is already out so I assume both will go down at some point. (talib made one play and went down in playoffs) so if we are talking Ty law, who was durable its one thing, but we dont have that, and Im concerned with the depth. Mayhbe DMC does to play CB, but then you have T.Wilson or Gregory out there. Its a trickle down effect. I would just be more comfortable if we had some veterans for depth instead of Glass I and another Rutgers JAG! I mean these are SB contending years. How are we gonna feel if/when we lose again due to something like lack of depth. Its like watching the Celtics lose the opportunity to win 2 more titles because he couldnt get us a fr eeeking Rebounder! We gotta pick up someone. I mean we got 15 safeties and 20 Bum DE/Linebacker types in camp, but you go light on CB's?? I dont get it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I've never seen someone as soft as rasI In my life.. Horrible pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

What you're seeing in practice against another NFL team is what you get during the regular season. 

The 2013 Brady and passing offense are humming as if the 2012 receivers didn't even matter.  Look out!

The preseason games, on the other hand, are so phony that they should be set up as a drinking game. 

If an excellent quarterback zips the ball right into the arms of a defender, drink. 

If he hits a cornerback in stride for a pick-six, drink more. 

If the team's best running back fumbles the ball, drink.  The same goes for any ball carrier who is obviously going to make the team.

If the defense runs into the punter on fourth down, keeping the offensive drive alive, drink, if they run into the punter twice on the same drive, as actually happened last year, chug. 

If a rookie draft choice that would otherwise make the team as a first year liability but with potential down the road falls down, doesn't get up and is (conveniently!) out for the year, drink.

Obviously I've had it with preseason scoring. 

Sections
Shortcuts