Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY

In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY:
    This Bdbreus character is turning into quite the troll with this angle. I've read nothing of the sort whatsoever, anywhere. Arrington is the guy that is struggling in camp right now, not McCourty. Bdbreu slowly starting to be exposed as a troll.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere

is a  troll anyone who writes something you dont like.

you havent read something ive heard and seen reported in several locations?

not sure why thats so.

why dont you check out the report instead of attacking  people who post reports

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY

In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY:
    In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY : i dont think you know the difference between reporting reporters reports and making observations that stick out and someone attacking and being negative toward others. sorry thats so. offerign this thougth above is about all i can do for you. a shame you cant please all teh people all the time. peace
    Posted by bredbru

There are lots of reports about the Patriots.  You manage to find the VERY few that mention McCourty even in passing (often without posting links to back it up), and post over-the-top thread titles such as, oh, I don't "receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY".  While never posting "reports" about any other aspect of the team.

I don't agree with Rusty often, but he's right: you're a troll with an axe to grind against McCourty specically.  So you can take your passive aggressive "peace" talk, and shove it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY : There are lots of reports about the Patriots.  You manage to find the VERY few that mention McCourty even in passing (often without posting links to back it up), and post over-the-top thread titles such as, oh, I don't "receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY".  While never posting "reports" about any other aspect of the team. I don't agree with Rusty often, but he's right: you're a troll with an axe to grind against McCourty specically.  So you can take your passive aggressive "peace" talk, and shove it.
    Posted by MattC05

listen to nepats.com instead of making accusations of others
    enjoy your day.
    peace is in the heart if you look for it
    warrring is a pattern you can find wihtin. it can be changed.
    peace if you want it.
    ciao

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

their tuesday audio report

Tuesday isnt yesterday. thursday is yesterday. Maybe they looked in their crystal ball and know what would happen in "thursdays" game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

OCD! I know, I have it too

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

their tuesday audio report Tuesday isnt yesterday. thursday is yesterday. Maybe they looked in their crystal ball and know what would happen in "thursdays" game.
    Posted by Philskiw1

do you just like to fight.
    the tuesday report is what i posted the thread about. had nothing to do with the game. by all reports mccourty did fine in the game. (i missed the first series).
    the report was a follow up to a post i made last week where several reports said the same thing. this week , the guys that watch the pats daily for a living, said what i reported above. if you want to make that something to fight about, you will be fighting with yourself. 
      if you just misunderstood fine.
    however maybe if you dont understand something in the future, ask instead of making a fight about it.
      unfortunately seems to be the tenor of the board these days. drives most away.
    be nice if we simply talked with each other instead of looking for a personal attack

cheers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

You just like to attack the guy. How did he look to your expert eyes in the game?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

How dare you bring up McCourty in anything but a positive light???!!!! What is wrong with you bredbru? Why don't you go be a Jet's fan and realize that our secondary cannot...I repeat CANNOT possibly be a problem!! What would you base this off of? McCourty's play from last season? The secondary's overall play in general form last season? Our third down defense from last season? Camp reports? What?

Listen we are FANS, we have no right to look at any player in this secondary in anything but the most positive light. I'm sure McCourty is in his hotel room right now reading all this crap and it hurts him. Do you want that? Imagine what that could do to him in coverage! Do you want that hanging over your head?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

we have no right to look at any player in this secondary in anything but the most positive light

Thats not true but to say he's consistently beaten then he plays 34 snaps somethings wrong there. Do you think BB would have kept him in there if that was the case? Would the final score have been 7-6? Wouldn't he have been beaten consistently in the game? Maybe he was hurt last year. Sure his play wasn't good but there was no ota's and offseason. Maybe we should just cut him now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I figured with the coverage McCourty, Arrington and Ras provided in pre-season game one that this thread would die...

Please, let it die.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe I'll go back and re-watch the game keying on McCourty, but honestly, I thought he was staying with his men pretty well.  Overall, I thought the secondary was okay.  Not great, but definitely a step ahead of where it was early in the preseason last year.  Plus, the LBs were better in coverage as well and the DL was getting some decent pressure.  All of those things will help with pass defense, so I see reason for optimism.  We'll have to watch how it evolves over the preseason, but so far so good for the first game in August. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Why are some people so concerned with passing yards allowed? It is one of the least meaningful stats. It's like a pitcher throwing a no-hitter and then being criticised for giving up too many walks. Who cares?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Why are some people so concerned with passing yards allowed? It is one of the least meaningful stats. It's like a pitcher throwing a no-hitter and then being criticised for giving up too many walks. Who cares?
    Posted by digger0862

I disagree with you digger. Yards given up don't necessarily lead to points, but they do tend to contribute to a lot of bad things, including:
    • More defensive and less offensive TOP for you (which means a more tired defense and fewer scoring chances for your own offense)
    • More first downs given up and therefore longer drives for your opponents (see TOP above)
    • More trips to the redzone for your opponent (which also tends to lead to at least more field goals if not more touchdowns for your opponent)
    • Poorer field position in general, since your opponents will frequently end their drives past midfield
    It's rare that a defense that gives up lots of yards is any better than mediocre when you look at points given up. And most defenses that give up lots of yards also give up lots of points.  Last year, the Pats were middle of the pack in points given up, primarily because their defense was very good at getting turnovers.  That helped balance the poor ability to make stops on third down and the tendency to give up lots and lots of passing yards.  However, the defense's penchant for giving up long drives and quick scores did hurt the offense, since it reduced offensive TOP and forced the offense to play a more "shoot-out" style than we might like.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Posted by digger0862

Good point, statistically a team can give up a lot of yards and still be one of the best defenses, turnovers and red zone defense being the great equalizer.

Ideally you won't give up points or yards and create a bunch of turnovers, but in general yards are overrated.  Only in fantasy football are yards important because defense is an afterthought, it's all about passing offense.

They still tally wins and losses in football with points.  Until that changes the score dictates who won and lost and is more telling more about what happened during the game than any arbitrary stat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I disagree with you digger. Yards given up don't necessarily lead to points, but they do tend to contribute to a lot of bad things, including: More defensive and less offensive TOP for you (which means a more tired defense and fewer scoring chances for your own offense) More first downs given up and therefore longer drives for your opponents (see TOP above) More trips to the redzone for your opponent (which also tends to lead to at least more field goals if not more touchdowns for your opponent) Poorer field position in general, since your opponents will frequently end their drives past midfield It's rare that a defense that gives up lots of yards is any better than mediocre when you look at points given up. And most defenses that give up lots of yards also give up lots of points.  Last year, the Pats were middle of the pack in points given up, primarily because their defense was very good at getting turnovers.  That helped balance the poor ability to make stops on third down and the tendency to give up lots and lots of passing yards.  However, the defense's penchant for giving up long drives and quick scores did hurt the offense, since it reduced offensive TOP and forced the offense to play a more "shoot-out" style than we might like.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here again for your pleasure,

Yards allowed is an important statistic because the more yards you give up the better your record will be. The three best teams by regular season records were also the top (bottom) in yards allowed. The fourth best (worst) team in yards allowed won the Super Bowl.

32 Green Bay Packers 15-1    
    31 New England Patriots 13-3
    30 New Orleans Saints 13-3
    29 New York Giants

Here's the top ten in passing yards allowed,
    1 Pittsburgh Steelers
    2 Cleveland Browns
    3 Houston Texans
    4 Baltimore Ravens
    5 New York Jets
    6 Kansas City Chiefs
    7 St. Louis Rams
    8 Jacksonville Jaguars
    9 Cincinnati Bengals
    10 Philadelphia Eagles

If NE had a top 10 defense to go along with their offense they would never lose a game. Maybe this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Digger, there's a bit of "noise" in the statistics because great offensive teams tend to get passed against a lot (because their opponents have to pass to try to keep up) and really bad teams tend not to get passed against a lot.  But if you look below at the top ten defenses in points given up, you'll see most also give up fewer than the 230 yards per game NFL average in passing yards.  Looking at the bottom ten defenses in points given up, most also give up more than the 230 yards per game NFL average in passing yards.  Again, it's not like passing yards given up is fatal to a team's chances at being a reasonable defense, but no defensive coordinator worth his salt is happy when his defense gives up lots of passing yards.  

PTS/G PASS YDS/G  

1 Pittsburgh Steelers              14.2 171.9  
    2 San Francisco 49ers 14.3 230.9  
    3 Baltimore Ravens 16.6 196.2  
    4 Houston Texans 17.4 189.7  
    5 Cleveland Browns 19.2 184.9  
    6 Miami Dolphins 19.6 249.5  
    7 Seattle Seahawks 19.7 219.9  
    8 Tennessee Titans 19.8 226.8  
    9 Cincinnati Bengals 20.2 211.6  
    10 Philadelphia Eagles 20.5 212.3  
      AVG   209.4  

1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30.9 238.4  
    2 Minnesota Vikings 28.1 251.2  
    3 Buffalo Bills 27.1 232.1  
    4 Oakland Raiders 27.1 251.4  
    5 Indianapolis Colts 26.9 227.0  
    6 Carolina Panthers 26.8 246.8  
    7 St. Louis Rams 25.4 206.3  
    8 New York Giants 25.0 255.1  
    9 Denver Broncos 24.4 231.5  
    10 Detroit Lions 24.2 239.4  
      AVG   237.9  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here again for your pleasure, Yards allowed is an important statistic because the more yards you give up the better your record will be. The three best teams by regular season records were also the top (bottom) in yards allowed. The fourth best (worst) team in yards allowed won the Super Bowl. 32 Green Bay Packers 15-1     31 New England Patriots 13-3 30 New Orleans Saints 13-3 29 New York Giants Here's the top ten in passing yards allowed, 1 Pittsburgh Steelers 2 Cleveland Browns 3 Houston Texans 4 Baltimore Ravens 5 New York Jets 6 Kansas City Chiefs 7 St. Louis Rams 8 Jacksonville Jaguars 9 Cincinnati Bengals 10 Philadelphia Eagles If NE had a top 10 defense to go along with their offense they would never lose a game. Maybe this year.
    Posted by digger0862

Championship teams

2001 Patriots = 24th in pass yards allowed
    2003 = 15th
    2004 = 17th

We were one of the best D's in the league in the red zone and creating turnovers.  "Bend don't break" means keep the offense in front of you, don't give up the big play, clamp down in the red zone. 

As long as your offense is scoring, converting first downs and controlling the time of possession then the other team can't beat you simply kicking field goals.

Granted you'd need an offense that plays complimentary football to what you do on defense, if you have an offense that is feast or famine, doesn't methodically convert first downs and control time of possession, then when you meet a team that matches up well with you in the playoff's chances are you're screwed as recent history has shown us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Digger, there's a bit of "noise" in the statistics because great offensive teams tend to get passed against a lot (because their opponents have to pass to try to keep up) and really bad teams tend not to get passed against a lot.  But if you look below at the top ten defenses in points given up, you'll see most also give up fewer than the 230 yards per game NFL average in passing yards.  Looking at the bottom ten defenses in points given up, most also give up more than the 230 yards per game NFL average in passing yards.  Again, it's not like passing yards given up is fatal to a team's chances at being a reasonable defense, but no defensive coordinator worth his salt is happy when his defense gives up lots of passing yards.       PTS/G PASS YDS/G             1 Pittsburgh Steelers              14.2 171.9   2 San Francisco 49ers 14.3 230.9   3 Baltimore Ravens 16.6 196.2   4 Houston Texans 17.4 189.7   5 Cleveland Browns 19.2 184.9   6 Miami Dolphins 19.6 249.5   7 Seattle Seahawks 19.7 219.9   8 Tennessee Titans 19.8 226.8   9 Cincinnati Bengals 20.2 211.6   10 Philadelphia Eagles 20.5 212.3     AVG   209.4                                 1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30.9 238.4   2 Minnesota Vikings 28.1 251.2   3 Buffalo Bills 27.1 232.1   4 Oakland Raiders 27.1 251.4   5 Indianapolis Colts 26.9 227.0   6 Carolina Panthers 26.8 246.8   7 St. Louis Rams 25.4 206.3   8 New York Giants 25.0 255.1   9 Denver Broncos 24.4 231.5   10 Detroit Lions 24.2 239.4     AVG   237.9  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Last year was an aberration which admittedly helps my argument. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7400938/how-big-concern-new-england-patriots-defense

Most certainly the Packers, Patriots, Saints and even the Giants were not happy with so many yards given up through the air. But with the media and many here harping on that one stat and then watching two of the "worst" pass defenses playing in the Super Bowl, I was compelled to respond.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Championship teams 2001 Patriots = 24th in pass yards allowed 2003 = 15th 2004 = 17th We were one of the best D's in the league in the red zone and creating turnovers.  "Bend don't break" means keep the offense in front of you, don't give up the big play, clamp down in the red zone.  As long as your offense is scoring, converting first downs and controlling the time of possession then the other team can't beat you simply kicking field goals. Granted you'd need an offense that plays complimentary football to what you do on defense, if you have an offense that is feast or famine, doesn't methodically convert first downs and control time of possession, then when you meet a team that matches up well with you in the playoff's chances are you're screwed as recent history has shown us.
    Posted by wozzy

Yup, red zone defense and creating turnovers are much more important stats than just yards allowed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The number of pass plays have increased over the past decade but the number of runs has not decreased, how do we account for this?

The zebras are throwing the flag nearly double the amount allowing offenses to stay on the field longer.  Welcome to the new NFL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY":
    In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY : Championship teams 2001 Patriots = 24th in pass yards allowed 2003 = 15th 2004 = 17th We were one of the best D's in the league in the red zone and creating turnovers.  "Bend don't break" means keep the offense in front of you, don't give up the big play, clamp down in the red zone.  As long as your offense is scoring, converting first downs and controlling the time of possession then the other team can't beat you simply kicking field goals. Granted you'd need an offense that plays complimentary football to what you do on defense, if you have an offense that is feast or famine, doesn't methodically convert first downs and control time of possession, then when you meet a team that matches up well with you in the playoff's chances are you're screwed as recent history has shown us. Posted by wozzy
    24th, 15th, and 17th in passing yards allowed for the "dynasty defense". Well there goes another theory shot to sht. I agree with you an Digger. Red zone D, and ppg allowed are the important stats. Besides when you start 3 guys off the fking street in your secondary with no training camp you will probably give up a lot of yards. Now we look around and see our secondary made up of 1st and early 2nd rd draft picks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to "Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY":
    In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY : Last year was an aberration which admittedly helps my argument. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7400938/how-big-concern-new-england-patriots-defense Most certainly the Packers, Patriots, Saints and even the Giants were not happy with so many yards given up through the air. But with the media and many here harping on that one stat and then watching two of the "worst" pass defenses playing in the Super Bowl, I was compelled to respond. Posted by digger0862
    If your main point is that a poor passing yards given up stat doesn't necessarily mean the sky is falling for a team I'd agree. No reason to get hysterical about the stat as some of the media did. If, however, you're trying to argue like some here seem to be that it doesn't matter at all then I disagree. it's hard to be a truly stellar defense while giving up lots of passing yards and most of the defenses that give up the fewest points also give up relatively few passing yards. So-called bend but don't break defenses do tend to give up more passing yards than other defenses, but even in the bend but don't break system, you don't want to allow too many passing yards. If you are, it's a sign you're either failing to keep plays in front of you (the whole point of BBDB) or not making enough stops on the underneath passes to stop drives before they get into scoring range.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Yesterday parillo and hart on nepats.com report receievers STILL running by mccourty CONSISTENTLY : Championship teams 2001 Patriots = 24th in pass yards allowed 2003 = 15th 2004 = 17th We were one of the best D's in the league in the red zone and creating turnovers.  "Bend don't break" means keep the offense in front of you, don't give up the big play, clamp down in the red zone.  As long as your offense is scoring, converting first downs and controlling the time of possession then the other team can't beat you simply kicking field goals. Granted you'd need an offense that plays complimentary football to what you do on defense, if you have an offense that is feast or famine, doesn't methodically convert first downs and control time of possession, then when you meet a team that matches up well with you in the playoff's chances are you're screwed as recent history has shown us.
    Posted by wozzy

WRONG!  For the millionth time.

NFL Team Opponent Average Time of Possession
    (means how long the D is allowing the Opponent to keep the ball)
    27New England31:2732:2633:3331:2231:3431:02
    NFL Team Time of Possession Percentage Offense
    27New England28:3227:3426:2728:3828:2529:43

Notice!  For every minute and second the D allows the opposition to have the ball, that's the same number of minutes and seconds less for the O.
    On the converse:  If the D allows the opponent less time with the ball then the O's ToP would increase.  (unfortunately that hasn't happened in years)
    The O and D ranking  (27th) is the same because since one (the D) is too high, 
     the other (the O) HAS to be too low.
    The O cannot control ToP if the defensive ToP is high.  It's IMPOSSIBLE, because both teams offenses can't have a Top  of more than 30 minutes.

Is it possible for both O's to have a 34 minute ToP in the same game?  NOOOO!You want to increase Offensive ToP, you HAVE to decrease the amount of time the opposing  offense is on the field.  That takes the D doing it's job!
    The O can not take extra time if there's none there for the taking. 
    It has no choice but to have what's left.

Football 101 and basic math.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

TOP is also dictated by the offense imposing their will on the defense. running,passing,execution of a solid game plan. That is my opinion. It doesn't mean you are wrong, but you are definitely not right.

Just because you shout things doesn't mean they are correct. You have grown almost as obnoxious as babe.

Sections
Shortcuts