You can add (1) defensive player from the last (25) years to this years team...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You can add (1) defensive player from the last (25) years to this years team...

... and it will only cost you the veteran minimum... who would it be and why?

I was tempted by Ronnie Lott, LT and Reggie White... but I'd chose:

Deion Sanders... say what you will about his tackling (or lack there of), but he took half of the field away and was a weapon after the INT as well as in the return game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: You can add (1) defensive player from the last (25) years to this years team...

Ronnie Lott, although it would be tough to pass on Taylor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: You can add (1) defensive player from the last (25) years to this years team...

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was tempted by LT and Reggie White... but I chose:

Deion Sanders... say what you will about his tackling (or lack there of), but he took half of the field away and was a weapon after the INT as well as in the return game.

[/QUOTE]

+1.

I credit Prime Time with revolutionizing the INT.   Every time he got the ball you had a very real sense that he could take it back all the way, so the defense became more focused on blocking lanes after the INT.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Lawrence Taylor, pass rush is everything.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Given the style of defense the Pats play I would say you're spot on.  Just with Talib in there the defense held up.  It wasn't until he went down that everything went to hell.  I don't know how a great past rusher would do in this style of defense BB has.  Of course it might just be working with what you have type of thing.  The biggest thing about Sanders is what he could do on special teams.  Excitement every time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Agreed on LT...who I believe to be the greatest football player of all-time. But, because of his off-field issues, I'd also consider Reggie White. Both players are more important than a CB...even a great one like Deion Sanders. Yes...Deion took away "half the field". But a great pass-rusher takes away everything...and forces turnovers.

As Pension stated above..."pass rush is everything", these days.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Bruschi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

I was thinking Sanders, White or LT at first but I might go with Ray Lewis. All around outstanding player that could do it all. And his ridiculous football IQ made everyone on the field with him a better player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Lawrence taylor - He had an unbelievable blend of explosiveness, power, strength, balance, speed and anger. He was an instinctive player too...unblockable...could stop the run too.

Reggie White - Massive pass rusher, able to play with power and force. I remember us in the Super Bowl against them...I was thinking, we still have a chance - then White threw Max Lane aside with one hand and sacked Bledsoe. The guy was just so strong.

Deion Sanders - Guy was impossible to throw on and as soon as he got that pick he became an instant weapon.

Ndamukong Suh/JJ Watt - I just think they make the whole front seven better, both these guys have to be doubled on every single play and even then they still create pressure. I love watching Watt play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Barry sanders. But Cory Dillion for the whole career would have been nice too.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was thinking Sanders, White or LT at first but I might go with Ray Lewis. All around outstanding player that could do it all. And his ridiculous football IQ made everyone on the field with him a better player.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....interesting....here I was thinking you would take Vernon Gholston....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Reggie White.

We need a DT, we need pass rush, we need our DBs to play press.

White supplies us with all of that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think I go White.  Pair White with a healthy Folk andthe QB is flushed from the pocket every down.  Absolutely no rythm.  Impossible to run inside the tackles, and the double teams free up those LB's to seal the edges.  Would be huge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If we are talking a straight 25 years than that's what 1989? 89' and 90' were decent years for LT but I think I'd rather this years JJ Watt. Though LT was dominant we wouldn't be talking the 84'-88' LT so I'd love me some JJ Watt to get bigger and badder on the line

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we are talking a straight 25 years than that's what 1989? 89' and 90' were decent years for LT but I think I'd rather this years JJ Watt. Though LT was dominant we wouldn't be talking the 84'-88' LT so I'd love me some JJ Watt to get bigger and badder on the line

[/QUOTE]

Good point. JJ would be a good choice. But, a tough choice to him over Reggie White.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Sticking with a Pats player......

Tippett

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sticking with a Pats player......

Tippett

[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with this either. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reggie White.

We need a DT, we need pass rush, we need our DBs to play press. 

White supplies us with all of that.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, football is won in the trenches.  

If you win upfront it doesn't matter what kind of coverage you have behind you, the opposing QB is running for his life.  I'll take White, if I have to take a Pat I would take Seymour in his prime.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I would take Tom Brady on defense. He's the only reason we win anyway. Put him on defense and we have twice the championships. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Ronnie Lott if we still have talib, Deon Sanders if we don't lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was tempted by Ronnie Lott, LT and Reggie White... but I'd chose:

[/QUOTE]

Reggie White for me, with LT second. Best size, strength combo ever. I can still remember poor Max Lane trying to block him and that was near the end of White's career.

Richard Seymour is a consideration as is Warren Sapp. Love Lott, but his game is being legislated out of the league. I'd take Ed Reed ahead of him because of that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Lawrence Taylor. I agree D line is the most important aspect of a quality defense, but Lawrence Taylor was the best defensive player in the last 25 years. He changed the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Lawrence taylor - He had an unbelievable blend of explosiveness, power, strength, balance, speed and anger. He was an instinctive player too...unblockable...could stop the run too.

Reggie White - Massive pass rusher, able to play with power and force. I remember us in the Super Bowl against them...I was thinking, we still have a chance - then White threw Max Lane aside with one hand and sacked Bledsoe. The guy was just so strong.

Deion Sanders - Guy was impossible to throw on and as soon as he got that pick he became an instant weapon.

Ndamukong Suh/JJ Watt - I just think they make the whole front seven better, both these guys have to be doubled on every single play and even then they still create pressure. I love watching Watt play.

I agree with the 1st 3, rather have Demarcus Ware over Watt or Suh....for now.

And Bledsoe still has nightmares about that game.  It ended when White sacked Drew back to back on our most crucial possession of the game where if we had mounted a scoring drive we would of been back in it. It was something like 2 sacks for a loss of 27 yards on 2nd and 3rd down. The closest thing ive seen to a more dominant post season game was Willie Mac against Jacksonville.  He sacked Leftwich and Gerrard 4.5 times to break the all time sack record both in 1 game and post season history...breaking Reggie Whites record! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Bruce Smith DE!

Sections
Shortcuts