***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

... and the draft is tomorrow... do you take South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney, Louisville QB Teddy Bridgwater, Tex A&M QB Johnny Manziel or somebody else?

For me, it's Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater... he may not be a househould name yet, but he has everything that one could covet in an NFL QB... Smart, tough, good arm, accurate, mobile, good size/speed and good leadership qualities... this kid can do it all and against elite competition (see January's Sugar Bowl vs. Florida) and you don't pass up a potential franchise QB for any other position... even if it's Clowney.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: ***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

I agree that you don't pass on a franchise QB, unless you already have one. In which case, I trade down a spot or three to where I can get a couple more choice draft picks and still get Clowney (or whoever emerges as the consensus #1 non-QB).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Oh, I should have also said that if I'm the Jets I take the highest rated cornerback, because you can never have too many of them, and I don't need a QB because Mark Sanchez gives us the best chance to win.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

If I have the #1 in 2014, I must be the Jets.

In which case how could I possibly pass on adding someone named Clowney to my roster?  But he'll have to pass the "There's no 'Team' in 'ME'" test first.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Clowney.  Slam Dunk.  No-Brainer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Consensus first pick is Clowney. Manziel will come out and Bridgewater is a very good passing QB! Push comes to shove I take the #1 QB if it is a need and if you are picking number 1 you either stunk the league or you were lucky enough to trade with the team that did stink up the stadiums during the 2013 season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't think you take a DE (or any defensive player) #1 under almost any circumstances. It's just not smart. No matter how good he is, he has a limited impact on a team's success. If you trade down and take him at 3 or 5, fine, more power to you. But #1 is a QB or an LT, maybe (big maybe) a Calvin Johnson type WR and that's about it these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As things stand today, unless you have RGIII, Rogers, or Luck you would be silly to pass up a chance at a franchise QB. Note I did not include Brady in my list simply because imo he will have 2-3 years after this season and adding a player like Bridgewater would be like adding a Young or Rogers to your team. So I would have to go with Bridgewater. However, if you do have RGIII, Luck, or Rogers I'd go Clowny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Interesting choice.  I'll throw a curvball here.  Depending on who drafts number 2 behind you I'd use that pick as bait and trade the 1st for the 2nd overall pick and the 2nd pick in the first round.  I'd take Clowney with the 2nd pick then put together a package to move up to take AJ McCarron.  I think he'll be a really good QB and is a proven winner who has played in some of the biggest games a college QB can play in.  Obviously things could change but I've seen McCarron going mid to late 1st to the 2nd.  Don't get me wrong though I love Bridgewater and would be thrilled to have him.  Fun to think about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I don't think you take a DE (or any defensive player) #1 under almost any circumstances. It's just not smart. No matter how good he is, he has a limited impact on a team's success. If you trade down and take him at 3 or 5, fine, more power to you. But #1 is a QB or an LT, maybe (big maybe) a Calvin Johnson type WR and that's about it these days.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Watt is a player that can take over a game unless you use considerable resources to take care of him or have a top 5 OL. But, then again if you have a top 5 DL you can neutralize most top end QB's too. So, if he a Watt type of player I'd be willing to take a DL first

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

As things stand today, unless you have RGIII, Rogers, or Luck you would be silly to pass up a chance at a franchise QB. Note I did not include Brady in my list simply because imo he will have 2-3 years after this season and adding a player like Bridgewater would be like adding a Young or Rogers to your team. So I would have to go with Bridgewater. However, if you do have RGIII, Luck, or Rogers I'd go Clowny

Well, if you have the #1 pick you probably don't have RG3, Rodgers or Luck. 

MB's scenario is tough. I would want to trade down, just enough so I still have a shot at the 2nd or third QB, and then some picks. 

Below is a partial list of QBs who might be on the 2014 class. Of this list, my favorite is McCarron. Right now, I think Bridgewater would be rated #1. I don't think anyone else would be rated higher than McCarron. 

AJ McCarron

Logan Thomas

Aaron Murray

Zach Mettenberger

Tajh Boyd

Brendon Kay

Drew Allen

Teddy Bridgewater

Johnny Manziel

Jeff Driskel

Pete Thomas

Tyler Russell

Charlie Loeb

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I prob shoulda done a better job of setting context... certainly if you already have a Luck or RGIII or Kaepernick or Russell Wilson, etc. on your roster, you're not likely to target a QB.

For the sake of debate, I'm asking the question as the GM of the Patriots with their current roster.

No doubt I see the upside of Clowney, who projects as one of the better edge players in recent memory, though that would need to be weighed against potentially adding a new franchise QB and face in Bridgewater, one that could allow you to maintain continuity as one of the better franchises in the NFL once TB hangs them up (I see 3 years max, regardless of what he says)... IMO, it'd be too hard for me to pass on the QB under this scenario.

In any case, it's an unrealistic scenario as there is zero chance they'd be in position to make this selection... though I thought it'd be fun to debate the potential immediate impact of an edge player vs. the potential long term continuity of another QB with elite level skills.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I prob shoulda done a better job of setting context... certainly if you already have a Luck or RGII or Kaepernick or Russell Wilson, etc. on your roster, you're not likely to target a QB.

For the sake of debate, I'm asking the question as the GM of the Patriots with their current roster.

No doubt I see the upside of Clowney, who projects as one of the better edge players in recent memory, though that would need to be weighed against potentially adding a new franchise QB and face in Bridgewater, one that could allow you to maintain continuity as one of the better franchises in the NFL once TB hangs them up (I see 3 years max, regardless of what he says)... IMO, it'd be too hard for me to pass on the QB under this scenario.

In any case, it's an unrealistic scenario as there is zero chance they'd be in position to make this selection... though I thought it'd be fun to debate the potential immediate impact of an edge player vs. the potential long term continuity of another QB with elite level skills.

Then you have to trade Mallett

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Not sure I'd agree with that. Watt is a player that can take over a game unless you use considerable resources to take care of him or have a top 5 OL. But, then again if you have a top 5 DL you can neutralize most top end QB's too. So, if he a Watt type of player I'd be willing to take a DL first

I wouldn't but I guess you can make the case. If there is a franchise QB or two coming out and you have the number one pick, you either pick one of them if you need him, or you trade down if you don't. It's an enormously valuable resource that you have to exploit. No defensive player, including Watt, is going to impact a team for 10 to 15 years like an Andrew Luck. 

Now if it's a year like this one where the QBs were lousy, then I could see it. All things being equal though, you take an LT over a DL because their shelf life is longer, they protect your MVP (generally speaking, the QB is most team's MVP) and let's face it, offense rules these days.

Just look at history. Since 1990 there have been 5 defensive players taken 1st overall and none of them was an impactful player, with the possible exception of Mario Williams who many would argue is overrated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Manziel-The chance to take a Franchise QB comes along once in very many years.  Pats have to pounce with Brady aging.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You take a franchise QB any time, all the time, any day of the week. I like Clowney, but you can't really win consistently in the NFL without a franchise QB (Brady et al) or dominant defense (Boulware, Lewis etc.....takes more than one player).Barring injury, the Pats will have a shot at neither. Maybe the Pats trade up and get Jeffcoat.....let the 2014 draft chatter begin.......funny thing is I do think there is a real possibility the Pats draft a QB....just not in the 1st and definitely not in the top 5.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

i've got manziel #3 right now for QB's behind bridgewater and tahj boyd. then david fales, followed by marcus mariota and then probably mccarron or brett hundley. lot of talent if they all come out. clowney wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if teddy, tahj, and manziel are off the board.

I really like Mariota, but is he eligible next year?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

i've got manziel #3 right now for QB's behind bridgewater and tahj boyd. then david fales, followed by marcus mariota and then probably mccarron or brett hundley. lot of talent if they all come out. clowney wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if teddy, tahj, and manziel are off the board.

I really like Mariota, but is he eligible next year?

yeah he is, i believe he will be a redshirt sophomore

Would be interesting how well he develops with the new regime there

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

I prob shoulda done a better job of setting context... certainly if you already have a Luck or RGIII or Kaepernick or Russell Wilson, etc. on your roster, you're not likely to target a QB.

Very different scenario from how I first understood it. Very difficult to reconcile the idea of a #1 pick while TB is still with the Pats, but here's my perspective.

Assuming current trajectory of development, I would guess that Bridgewater would be ranked first.

I would trade down to where Mariota is projected. The kid has legs to be used if needed, but is clearly a pass first QB in an up-tempo capable offense. Even when scrambling, he looks downfield for open receivers. He has shown very good arm strength, accuracy and touch.

Sections
Shortcuts