***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I don't think you take a DE (or any defensive player) #1 under almost any circumstances. It's just not smart. No matter how good he is, he has a limited impact on a team's success. If you trade down and take him at 3 or 5, fine, more power to you. But #1 is a QB or an LT, maybe (big maybe) a Calvin Johnson type WR and that's about it these days.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Watt is a player that can take over a game unless you use considerable resources to take care of him or have a top 5 OL. But, then again if you have a top 5 DL you can neutralize most top end QB's too. So, if he a Watt type of player I'd be willing to take a DL first

I wouldn't but I guess you can make the case. If there is a franchise QB or two coming out and you have the number one pick, you either pick one of them if you need him, or you trade down if you don't. It's an enormously valuable resource that you have to exploit. No defensive player, including Watt, is going to impact a team for 10 to 15 years like an Andrew Luck. 

Now if it's a year like this one where the QBs were lousy, then I could see it. All things being equal though, you take an LT over a DL because their shelf life is longer, they protect your MVP (generally speaking, the QB is most team's MVP) and let's face it, offense rules these days.

Just look at history. Since 1990 there have been 5 defensive players taken 1st overall and none of them was an impactful player, with the possible exception of Mario Williams who many would argue is overrated.

What if there is no franchise QB available and your QB is Sanchez? I'd argue LT isn't all that important at that point and DL would have a greater effect

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

If I have the #1 in 2014, I must be the Jets.

In which case how could I possibly pass on adding someone named Clowney to my roster?  But he'll have to pass the "There's no 'Team' in 'ME'" test first.

Winner!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Bridgewater.

Or whoever the best QB is.

JJ Watt is a dominant Dlineman and a DT at that (I think they're more important than DE's)...yet his defense still got lit up towards the end of the season!

A good defender can have a great day and still be on a defense that gets lit up...It's not too often that a QB can have a great day while the offense doesn't score much.

I think Clowney is the best prospect overall, but QB is just way more important than DE.

1 Questoin to college football "experts"...can Clowney play OLB? Much Like Aldon Smith and Just Smith, I do think it would be cool to see Clowney pair up with Watt. Watt is better than Smith and I would say Clowney has way more upside than Smith...

Something like that would be fun to watch...except for when they play the pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Bridgewater (if he is all they say he is will go #1) and as long as I have Brady, I make like the Rams and trade to whater 'Redskin' like team is out there for there next 10 1 st round picks - setting my team up to have as good a decade of the 'teens' as they had of the 'oughts'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

... and the draft is tomorrow... do you take South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney, Louisville QB Teddy Bridgwater, Tex A&M QB Johnny Manziel or somebody else?

For me, it's Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater... he may not be a househould name yet, but he has everything that one could covet in an NFL QB... Smart, tough, good arm, accurate, mobile, good size/speed and good leadership qualities... this kid can do it all and against elite competition (see January's Sugar Bowl vs. Florida) and you don't pass up a potential franchise QB for any other position... even if it's Clowney.

best qb. havent watch lot of bridgewater. love manziel

if brady were younger clowney no question

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

***You have the 1st overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft...***

....ur season sucked!!!!!

your last 5 sucked

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

I agree that you don't pass on a franchise QB, unless you already have one. In which case, I trade down a spot or three to where I can get a couple more choice draft picks and still get Clowney (or whoever emerges as the consensus #1 non-QB).

if i have franchise qb mo way i trade down with clowney there (if im the pats)

now ifi have no ployers maybe i do trade down

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

If I have the #1 in 2014, I must be the Jets.

In which case how could I possibly pass on adding someone named Clowney to my roster?  But he'll have to pass the "There's no 'Team' in 'ME'" test first.

The aint no "we" inteam either 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I go with the Rudgers CB TeJay Johnson   ;  )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

In response to titletownfan's comment:

Manziel-The chance to take a Franchise QB comes along once in very many years.  Pats have to pounce with Brady aging.

In the long run ......call me crazy or not.....but I would take McCarron anyday over Manziel. I really don't think long-term Manziel can take the punishment that an NFL QB takes....much like RG3's injury concerns. McCarron has played big in huge games at Alabama and won 2 titles maybe even a chance for a 3rd. He just looks like a better QB long-term than Manziel too me

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to patriot-fan-74's comment:

Manziel-The chance to take a Franchise QB comes along once in very many years.  Pats have to pounce with Brady aging.

In the long run ......call me crazy or not.....but I would take McCarron anyday over Manziel. I really don't think long-term Manziel can take the punishment that an NFL QB takes....much like RG3's injury concerns. McCarron has played big in huge games at Alabama and won 2 titles maybe even a chance for a 3rd. He just looks like a better QB long-term than Manziel too me

I would too. Manziel is not my type of QB. He runs too much for my taste.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK here's a real monkey wrench what would you do if Brandon Coleman came out early? He's gotta be in the mix for the number one pick. You can't teach 6'6" 225 4.48 !!! Runs every route on the tree now,just imagine how much more polished he becomes this season. Oh by the way for those who don't know where he plays he's a WR from Rutgers!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

McCarron, reminds me so much of Brady. Smart, keeps his poise, moves good in pocket, GREAT at play action, throws a good deep ball, and intermediate passes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

OK here's a real monkey wrench what would you do if Brandon Cloeman came out early? He's gotta be in the mix for the number one pick. You can't teach 6'6" 225 4.48 !!! Runs every route on the tree now,just imagine how much more polished he becomes this season. Oh by the way for those who don't know where he plays he's a WR from Rutgers!

QB > WR

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to patriot-fan-74's comment:

maccaron is wh o i said the pats should take in all seriousness (last year)

manziel still could be a geat qb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

McCarron, reminds me so much of Brady. Smart, keeps his poise, moves good in pocket, GREAT at play action, throws a good deep ball, and intermediate passes.

this is exaclty what i said last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

OK here's a real monkey wrench what would you do if Brandon Cloeman came out early? He's gotta be in the mix for the number one pick. You can't teach 6'6" 225 4.48 !!! Runs every route on the tree now,just imagine how much more polished he becomes this season. Oh by the way for those who don't know where he plays he's a WR from Rutgers!

we just took 2 wr , dount bb take s a wr in 1st rd next year.

and the dream #1 pick still if you have a great qb, clowney.

if u dont have a qb to take you to a sb run, its a qb

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

I agree that you don't pass on a franchise QB, unless you already have one. In which case, I trade down a spot or three to where I can get a couple more choice draft picks and still get Clowney (or whoever emerges as the consensus #1 non-QB).

if i have franchise qb mo way i trade down with clowney there (if im the pats)

now ifi have no ployers maybe i do trade down

So you'd take a DE at 1, rather than trading down getting three #1s and a 2 (what the Skins paid for RG3), and by the way maybe getting Clowney? Glad you're not running an NFL team, you'd have a short run.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldn't say that. Rutgers makes BB do strange things. I mean who would have predicted BB taking a Rutgers LB in the late 7th or another S in the 3rd?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Clowney is going to be the best graded DE ever to enter the draft. No-brainer its Clowney. This guy is a one man wrecking crew and players like him come once in a life time. I really like Bridgewater and he absolutely tore up my Gators last year but Clowney is in a class on his own.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I wouldn't say that. Rutgers makes BB do strange things. I mean who would have predicted BB taking a Rutgers LB in the late 7th or another S in the 3rd?

no one would have predicted. all rutgers all the time.

my 3rd point is, it depends who you already ohave on your team if you need a palyer at almost every position, you have to rade down and get more picks.

if you need a franchis qb, id do that.

if you have a good to better than good team, you take the best player i woudl think (clowney)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You take the QB if your need is Franchise QB and you don't have one. Manziel, Bridgewater,and if you think McCarron is a top tier QB then include him but whomever you rank that high you take him. now the other side of the coin is how far can you trade down and still get Clowney if you don't need the franchise QB? Because if the team drafting behind you at #2 doesn't need a QB your fudged.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

So what is the point of this discussion?

signed Ryan Mallet

Sections
Shortcuts