You see what a solid running game can do....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

You see what a solid running game can do....

Pittsburgh just destroyed Denver's dominant defense.

173yds rushing= 28-10

Ben definately had some passes to respect the run but, pitts O-Line overpowered that denver D-Line.

Im going to state the obvious and say.....

A dominant Rushing team wins in the NFL along with a dominant rush defense. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Re: You see what a solid running game can do....

Agreed... There O-Line was amazing in the run. They executed on the counter plays to the T.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

They definately did a good job.

Let me clarify what I said in regards to winning in the NFL.

Pittsburgh has won 2 SB in the past 4yrs and  NE has not.

As much as I love to see NE light up the scoreboard, they have not had a very good rushing offense since 2005 and they have not won a SB since 2005 either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I disagree on your "obvious" statement about run game and rush defense winning games. Tell me who the 6 best teams in the NFL are right now.
    I'll give you my 6. Three from each conference, AFC I'll say Indy, NE and Pittsburgh. NFC I'll go NO, Minny and Philly despite, their loss against Dallas Sunday.
    Indy and NE are passing teams Indy ranks 1st in pass ypg and 29th in rush ypg. NE ranks 2nd in pass ypg and 16th in rush ypg. Steelers who you want to call a dominant run team rank fifth in passing ypg in the league and rank 19th in rush ypg...

Now, NO ranks 4th in passing and 5th in rushing so they are pretty good at both. However when your passing game puts up 30 points early your RBs normally get a lot of carries to finish out the game, thus inflating your yards.
    Minny I believe is 13th in rushing and 14th in passing, however this team a year ago ranked 4th in rushing and 25th in passing. Doesn't it make sense that Farve bringing a passing game to the Vikes offense has taken this team from above average to one of the top teams.
    Philly like NE and Indy pass first run later type of team.

Also, the majority of these teams have very good pass defenses. Either very good pass rush or secondary, possibly both. Running the ball and stopping the run was the way to win in the NFL for 40 years, but it has shifted dramatically in the last 10 years. Rule changes made it too easy to pass the ball. The best teams are good at passing and stopping the pass.

Your top 6 might be different then my 6, but chances are they will fall into this trend of passing the ball=wins in the NFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

First off, I would replace Philly with Dallas.  You cant tell me Philly is better than Dallas when, Dallas just beat them in Philly, Philly is 5-3 with a loss to Oak and Dallas is 6-2.   But thats your opinion.  We all have one.  As far as the rest of the list I will agree with.

Now I will also agree that this is a pass first league.  I also agree with you in regards to having a strong pass rush.  Which NE does not have. 

Did NE win 3SB's with a No.1 Passing Offense?

Did Pitt win 2 SB with the best Passing QB?

Did the Colts win the SB because of dominant QB play?

Did the Giants win the SB with the best passing offense?

NO!

They all had a solid running game and run defense in the playoffs to get to the SB.  I will continue to agree that a pass rush plays a major part in that because it puts pressure on the QB and most QB make mistakes when pressured so they have to resort to the run.  But when you cant run what are you going to do?

As far as the Saints. 

When they face a team that can close games then we will see what they are truly made of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: You see what a solid running game can do....:
    First off, I would replace Philly with Dallas.  You cant tell me Philly is better than Dallas when, Dallas just beat them in Philly, Philly is 5-3 with a loss to Oak and Dallas is 6-2.   But thats your opinion.  We all have one.  As far as the rest of the list I will agree with. Now I will also agree that this is a pass first league.  I also agree with you in regards to having a strong pass rush.  Which NE does not have.  Did NE win 3SB's with a No.1 Passing Offense? Did Pitt win 2 SB with the best Passing QB? Did the Colts win the SB because of dominant QB play? Did the Giants win the SB with the best passing offense? NO! They all had a solid running game and run defense in the playoffs to get to the SB.  I will continue to agree that a pass rush plays a major part in that because it puts pressure on the QB and most QB make mistakes when pressured so they have to resort to the run.  But when you cant run what are you going to do? As far as the Saints.  When they face a team that can close games then we will see what they are truly made of.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

The Patriots three SBs in the past decade were won because of superior coaching and Tom Brady's arm, also good defense across the board. Steelers SB wins both SB MVPs were WRs. Giants pass rush and Eli's arm won them there SB.

I guess all I am trying to say is passing the ball and stopping the pass is more important. You even semi agreed with me in your last post by saying it is a pass first league. You can win games against bad teams by running the ball and stopping the run, but against the good teams you need to be able to pass and stop the pass. So don't say you wish we had a Patriots team like we did 8 years ago. That team 8 years ago wouldn't be able to stand in there with the elite teams ofg today. Alot changes in the NFL in 5-6 years.

Oh and Dallas instead of Philly eh, Dallas ranks 6th in passing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: You see what a solid running game can do.... : The Patriots three SBs in the past decade were won because of superior coaching and Tom Brady's arm, also good defense across the board. Steelers SB wins both SB MVPs were WRs. Giants pass rush and Eli's arm won them there SB. I guess all I am trying to say is passing the ball and stopping the pass is more important. You even semi agreed with me in your last post by saying it is a pass first league. You can win games against bad teams by running the ball and stopping the run, but against the good teams you need to be able to pass and stop the pass. So don't say you wish we had a Patriots team like we did 8 years ago. That team 8 years ago wouldn't be able to stand in there with the elite teams ofg today. Alot changes in the NFL in 5-6 years. Oh and Dallas instead of Philly eh, Dallas ranks 6th in passing.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan
    more like eli,s lucky throw,and catch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

a good running game helps control the clock,and even out the offense,but belichick had already stated he dosent want a running game takeing away from brady,and his passing.we all know how lethal the pats were in 2007 without a good running game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

a good running game helps control the clock,and even out the offense,but belichick had already stated he dosent want a running game takeing away from brady,and his passing.we all know how lethal the pats were in 2007 without a good running game.
    Posted by mosseffect43

very true...I remember reading that the other day.

Even thought the Pats had one of if not the best offense in the history of the NFL, they didnt win the 1 game that counted most.

Controlling the clock will be very important when NE plays Indy, but I believe Brady will be gunning for that depleted Indy secondary.

This will really be a Brady vs. Manning game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

You forgot to mention one thing when the Patriots lost the last Superbowl. I will tell anyone here, go back to the Randy Moss touchdown with 3 minutes left, when he caught the Ball in the Endzone, he didnt celebrate, didnt dance, didnt even smile, in fact when you see him on camera he looked like he had just lost the game, I turned to my husband and said they are not going to win this game, and sure enough the Giants did.
    You are not going to like this, none of you will, but ALL PRO SPORTS IS FIXED, do you really think its just Wrestling? Gee one Basketball Ref got caught, yeah like there is only one! PLEASE, do you really think a group of BILLIONAIRES are going to gamble their hard Squeezed out of you the fans money and just take a chance with it? REALLY?
    Oh I know the haters will say Im crazy there is no way it can be done, All I say back is look around you, Just one ref huh? LMAO Gee Boxing isnt fixed at all, now take a look at MMA, take a look at Oh never mind you boys wont beleive it anyway. The Owners have you guys so fooled and spending yoru money that your house would burn down and you not even notice lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

really my house would burn down and i wouldnt notice huh. you have to be blind to have that happen. i dont think games are fixed but we are def at the mercie of the refs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Hmmm... How many people would have to be in on it to be fixed?  It would take unprecedented cooperation by the players, the refs, and the league.  In a day and age when keeping a secret is next to impossible, the NFL somehow does a better job at keeping their "fixed" games a secret than the CIA can keep its most sensitive operations secret?  C'mon, it would have been busted long ago.  In fact, I think it was busted decades ago.  

I think the more experience you have managing and planning large operations, the more you realize how unlikely most conspiracy scenarios are.  There is no way such an operation could go on with flawless execution over decades and not so much as one person ratting the NFL out or even so much as one clumsy execution that exposed it an an obvious and irrefutable way.

Take the NBA, a ref was caught for doing what you allege.  But you see, he was caught and punished and he was just one guy.  How do you do that with numerous guys over decades?

Sections
Shortcuts