You Want A Dark Cloud (NCAA Football)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: You Want A Dark Cloud (NCAA Football)

In response to NedBraden's comment:

Since we keep seeing more and more AH based posts pop up that basically do the same thing, which is add unnecessary and irrational drama to the situation, why not discuss where the root of this is really at for football players?

I've said this for years on this board, but one of the BIG problems with how NFL players come into the league is how they're handled at the NCAA level.

This is a huge problem, IMO.   The NCAA is one of the more corrupt entities in this country. Absolutely. NO question about it. They use college football as a prop to make money and run for the hills. They, along with the universities, converge in order to cover up issues and to make sure the most money can be made off the back of the football program. 

I am not using this to blame the University of Florida for the development of Aaron Hernandez, but clearly, the Jerry Sandusky situation is a big reflection on what lengths certain universities and colleges will do to gloss over problems in order to protect the brand, and therefore, the product.  When you think of any example, that is one that represents the PERFECT example for this problem.

What is disturbing about this organized racket, because that's what it has become, is the fact amateur athletes, STUDENTS, are being manipulated or used to make sure the team can drop into a bowl game in some way.  This is why they hide how many times someone gets busted for a positive drug test, gets in trouble with the law, or might have some kind of direct gang involvement like Hernandez apparently did.

Meanwhile, if someone gets busted for drugs on campus and doesn't play on the foobtall team, they get the full treatement.

What kind of an example does this set if you're giving athletes special privileges over any other student?  I fully realize that might happen at some high schools, too, but it's less likley because there is no money involved in said student athlete.

Finally, you take a look at the money made off of simply playing in a bowl game, any bowl game, and then you look at the skyrocketing costs of tuition for non-athletes and we got a problem.  We have a serious problem in this country with that, especially for any universtity that takes taxpayer dollars.

The NCAA acts like they are all surprised or not responsible for this, and I call it out as total crap. They're frauds. They know exactly what is going on because if I do, if you do, etc, they HAVE to know.

It's why they've put off having a playoff for so long. Even this lame 4 team playoff this year won't be enough.    They didn't want their formula messed with considering what a moneymaker it is.  As popular as the March Madness thing is for a month, the bowl games are far more profitable as a whole.

Discuss:

+1

Don't always agree, but kudos Ned for one of your more intelligent and well expressed posts.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No doubt the NCAA football is a disgrace, all NCAA sports are a disgrace.  Not sure that it really needs to be pointed out or discussed, does it?

Why are you needing to feel like you have to bring up other "Dark Clouds"?  Just because the patriots are involved with one?  David Dunn, now the NCAA?  C'mon, stop feeling you need to try and defend every single thing the Patriots organization is involved in.  They are getting plenty of support by people and media, sure there are going to be a few who points the fingers at them but so what!  It comes with the territory.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

[QUOTE]

Since we keep seeing more and more AH based posts pop up that basically do the same thing, which is add unnecessary and irrational drama to the situation, why not discuss where the root of this is really at for football players?

I've said this for years on this board, but one of the BIG problems with how NFL players come into the league is how they're handled at the NCAA level.

This is a huge problem, IMO.   The NCAA is one of the more corrupt entities in this country. Absolutely. NO question about it. They use college football as a prop to make money and run for the hills. They, along with the universities, converge in order to cover up issues and to make sure the most money can be made off the back of the football program. 

I am not using this to blame the University of Florida for the development of Aaron Hernandez, but clearly, the Jerry Sandusky situation is a big reflection on what lengths certain universities and colleges will do to gloss over problems in order to protect the brand, and therefore, the product.  When you think of any example, that is one that represents the PERFECT example for this problem.

What is disturbing about this organized racket, because that's what it has become, is the fact amateur athletes, STUDENTS, are being manipulated or used to make sure the team can drop into a bowl game in some way.  This is why they hide how many times someone gets busted for a positive drug test, gets in trouble with the law, or might have some kind of direct gang involvement like Hernandez apparently did.

Meanwhile, if someone gets busted for drugs on campus and doesn't play on the foobtall team, they get the full treatement.

What kind of an example does this set if you're giving athletes special privileges over any other student?  I fully realize that might happen at some high schools, too, but it's less likley because there is no money involved in said student athlete.

Finally, you take a look at the money made off of simply playing in a bowl game, any bowl game, and then you look at the skyrocketing costs of tuition for non-athletes and we got a problem.  We have a serious problem in this country with that, especially for any universtity that takes taxpayer dollars.

The NCAA acts like they are all surprised or not responsible for this, and I call it out as total crap. They're frauds. They know exactly what is going on because if I do, if you do, etc, they HAVE to know.

It's why they've put off having a playoff for so long. Even this lame 4 team playoff this year won't be enough.    They didn't want their formula messed with considering what a moneymaker it is.  As popular as the March Madness thing is for a month, the bowl games are far more profitable as a whole.

Discuss:

+1

Don't always agree, but kudos Ned for one of your more intelligent and well expressed posts.

Thank you.

Also, thanks for quoting my post because the mods like to delete my analysis.  

Another theme that ties into this NCAA problem, and many of the younger fans here won't like this, is the Millennial Gen's sense of entitlement.  It's a problem. You see it everywhere. The grocery store, the mall, on the road driving, anywhere. If you are in this generation and reading this, don't get uptight. It's not EVERY single person in that gen.  But, for discussion purposes, it has to be mentioned.

If Hernandez seriously killed Lloyd due to "lack of respect", it's even more obvious the entitlement element is a very real thing.

Obviously, there are Gen X players who have gotten into trouble like Vick or others, but if you look at the RATE in which these players are now getting into trouble in recent years, it has escalated MORE so than when Tagliabue was in office.  Ironically, under Goodell's reign, as he was brought in partially to "clean up" the league.  Great work, Rogie.  Maybe you should be calling up the NCAA heads, working with legislators and really flexing your muscle a bit more.  The Sandusky situation should be a major wake up call for where this problem lies. No doubt.

I've also mentioned the agents being partly responsible to this deeper rooted problem, as well as college coaches. Look at the college coach movement or how NFL coaches flock to the NCAA.  Seems odd that the NCAA would pay more, doesn't it? It should. We know why ($$), and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but obviously it symbolizes a problem at the same time.   It sets a very poor example.  I don't expect coaches to me character healers or miracle workers, but it still sets bad example. The lack of loyalty, recruiting a player, then hopping to another team for more money. Just a terrible example.

Add in the agents looking to get their margins on the backs of the system and you've got a triple whammy. The beast is feeding the beast.

The highest paid state employees in I believe it's 41/50 states? The NCAA college Div 1 coach. Sad and scary.

[/QUOTE]

On the Millenial gen:

Media bombards society with imagery that promote this notion that one is a failure if you are not a millionaire by 30. How do you expect kids learn that it is okay to learn first - work hard and earn your stripes? There is an impatience to get wealthy among the younger generation. Media also perpetuates the notion that it is okay to achieve it at all cost - even if you run over someone along the way. Forget respect for others.

Some kids benefit from the wisdom of conscienceous (I gave up on spelling that) parents. All around though you can see so many parents who are more concerned about being cool than actually parenting.

On NCAA:

How do you think eliminating the requirement that a kid needs to be done with HS for at least three years would affect things? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

No doubt the NCAA football is a disgrace, all NCAA sports are a disgrace.  Not sure that it really needs to be pointed out or discussed, does it?

Why are you needing to feel like you have to bring up other "Dark Clouds"?  Just because the patriots are involved with one?  David Dunn, now the NCAA?  C'mon, stop feeling you need to try and defend every single thing the Patriots organization is involved in.  They are getting plenty of support by people and media, sure there are going to be a few who points the fingers at them but so what!  It comes with the territory.

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

I think they are absolutely sidebar discussions here to be had about why this stuff happens more frequently than it should. That's why.

CLearly, this level of critical thinking well, well, over your head which is why you just gave the response you just did, TFB12.  PLease stop showcasing why you aren't as intelligent as some others. It's very annoying. It's trollish. If you have nothing to contribute as an adult, please do not add your .02.

It's like your jealous of my astute observations and points.  Enough. Stop following me around, please. Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

If by your astute observations you mean... doing anything and everything you can think of to draw away any negativity about the Patriots then yeah, you make a tone of astute observations.  You seem to get awfully butt hurt anytime there is any amount of a negativity threat to BB or the Patriots Organization.  You are way, way over protective, to the brink of insanely over protective, dude!

I don't follow you around.  This is a Patriots football forum, it's a fairly small place and we all respond to each others posts.  That's what people do here.  Start making some good posts and I would,along with others, probably agree with you and post positive replays.  But if you continue to post garbage, then prepare to be called out on it.

Your two most recent threads "You want a dark cloud (ncaa football)" and "Agent, David Dunn" are both threads about trying to deflect from Patriots Negativity.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Photobucket

I think they are absolutely sidebar discussions here to be had about why this stuff happens more frequently than it should. That's why.

CLearly, this level of critical thinking well, well, over your head which is why you just gave the response you just did, TFB12.  PLease stop showcasing why you aren't as intelligent as some others. It's very annoying. It's trollish. If you have nothing to contribute as an adult, please do not add your .02.

It's like your jealous of my astute observations and points.  Enough. Stop following me around, please. Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

If by your astute observations you mean... doing anything and everything you can think of to draw away any negativity about the Patriots then yeah, you make a tone of astute observations.  You seem to get awfully butt hurt anytime there is any amount of a negativity threat to BB or the Patriots Organization.  You are way, way over protective, to the brink of insanely over protective, dude!

I don't follow you around.  This is a Patriots football forum, it's a fairly small place and we all respond to each others posts.  That's what people do here.  Start making some good posts and I would,along with others, probably agree with you and post positive replays.  But if you continue to post garbage, then prepare to be called out on it.

Your two most recent threads "You want a dark cloud (ncaa football)" and "Agent, David Dunn" are both threads about trying to deflect from Patriots Negativity.

[/QUOTE]

TFB, I don't have anything against you in general, but I really don't understand what is so wrong about having a conversation about topics adjacent to pro football - like NCAA football - even if the purpose is to deflect away from Pats negativity.  

I know you have come to hate Rusty since Welker left NWE, but c'mon. Just because you hate him, don't be that guy who wants to decide for the forum what's good to discuss and what's not. Leave that to 1966 (if you remember him at all). If you don't like the topic, you have the option to stay out.

Just one more thing... because you hate Rusty, you just did what you are calling him out for - say to another person what is good discussion and what's not. In his case, he tried to come up with new topics to steer people away from topics he did not like. In your case, at least on this one, you just criticized his topic. 

Peace, dude

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Hers a different look at things .why is it mostly NBA and NFL players getting into trouble?I heard this conversation on WEEI the other day and baseball and hockey players come out early  sometimes at 18 and never go to college but they seem to handle the transition ok.So I dont get whats different happening in other sports any iedas?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It all boils down to WELFARE babies.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Well I know it cost to play football too from pop wanger and some high schools now have fees involved and football feilds cost money to build too so I  dont see what your point is?No and I wasnt trying to race bait anything ,it never even entered my mind till you brought it up.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

TFB, I don't have anything against you in general, but I really don't understand what is so wrong about having a conversation about topics adjacent to pro football - like NCAA football - even if the purpose is to deflect away from Pats negativity.  

Thanks for the post, SeattlePat.  

Feel free to go along with Rusty's agenda and support his childish name calling and attacking of forum members.  What a pity, a grown man like him has to resort to such childish behavior.  There is a reason his posts get deleted all the time and he is banned so many times.  He is a troll and he has an agenda to push here, as most trolls do. 

There are threads few and far between that aren't cluttered with Rusty's name calling and personal attacks due to his panties getting in a bunch feeling the need to defend every single move or decision the Patriots Organization or BB make.  This is another one of those examples, just like the Dunn thread.  I clearly am not alone with the way I feel here.  So thanks for your input.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts