Young Blood in PAT's new and younger D - Predictions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark. Show noahsark's posts

Young Blood in PAT's new and younger D - Predictions?

Consider Mayo's brilliant & unrelentless dedication to greatness, Merriwether's coming of age & growing confidence as well as Wheatly & Wilhite showing occasional glimpses of talent. Then look at Crable, Guyton & Woods. Add the arrival of Chung, Brace & Butler to name a few more...

positive aggressive winds blowing in Foxboro. Fire-filled desire...competition and opportunity to take it to the next level - NE's Defense should soon be top 5 good again. With veteran leaders and great coaching, what happens?

A few questions about your predictions:

Who will make the biggest strides - become real difference makers this year? How will each contribute? How will they mesh with with starting Pats veterans? Which new FA's end up as starters & when? Name your winners!

Anxious for your opinions..
    Neil

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Re: Young Blood in PAT's new and younger D - Predictions?

your strectching it if you think the pats will be top 5 def this year. Think of it as a rebuilding year (on defense) that will be masked, due to the offense being on the field alot, and is as good as 2 years ago. with the exception of mayo, I dont see any of the players listed making major strides this year, although Im sure some will contribute to a certain extent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark. Show noahsark's posts

I see what you mean about the time line. I was thinking that we would see a greatly improved D towards the end of the regular season. It'll take time for them to gel as a unit and hopefully, by then, we'll see the keepers.
    Thanks,
    Neil

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dench3. Show dench3's posts

I think that there is undoubtedly a lot of potential for our D next year, but to be realistic, apart from our D-Line, there is not much PROVEN, with the exception of Mayo. It seems that we, as Patriots Nation, are putting a lot on a bunch of young'ns that have yet to really play in the nfl. Yes we are young, hungry, but outside of NE, is do people look at our D and see anything more than a bunch of kids that supposedly have talent?

Chung, butler, brace, wheatley, wilhite, meriweather, crable, guyton, woods, redd

at this point, they are all just a bunch of unproven kids. A LOT is going to have to happen for us to have a superbowl caliber Defense...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark. Show noahsark's posts

Hi Dench3,

You mention the following unprovens:

Chung, butler, brace, wheatley, wilhite, meriweather, crable, guyton, woods, redd

Which of them would you bet on to develop fastest and why? That's what I'm trying to get some input on if you have any ideas and a few minutes...

Thanks,
    Neil

PS. I didn't mean that they will be the main/only reason we might develop a superbowl defense, but i like your post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I think the Pats will have a much better D then most of us expect from them this year. I could see them as a top ten defense no doubt. I think some of our young players wil emerge faster then we thought. MAybe Crable or Wheatly?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

I believe Butler will have a solid rookie season.  I expect by the 2nd half of the season for him to be starting.  I don't think it will take him long to pass Wheatley and Wilhite on the depth chart.  Chung will be decent as a rookie, and also has a good chance to start over Sanders come the 2nd half of the season.  Brace should figure into the D-Line rotation only behind Wilfork, Seymour, and Warren in running situations.  The Pats D should definitely be in the top 10 in points given up.  The infusion of young talent and key FA signings coupled with the offense returning to 2007 form should be enough for our D to get back in the top 10.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dench3. Show dench3's posts

I think that everyone who cares about the patriots, including myself, is drooling over the potential of shawn crable, hes HUGE but i was shocked to find out he only weighs 240....Hes huge but maybe durability is his big concern??? I was hoping hed have bulked up since last year, but when your so tall and huge, how much additional weight can you possibly put on? I am concerned with Wheatleys wrists, and injury prone status. If i had to bet on players emerging, whether kid or veteran, i think a lot of people forgot about tank williams. Other than that, id say butler will be better than wheatley, pierre woods will be a solid surprise. Other than that, i am cautiously optimistic about our kids. I am interested to hear what people have to say about meriweather...I did not see much i liked about him, but i want to be wrong. That strip sack on seneca wallace was his 'big play' but to me was not that impressive...I am fearful he will never be the playermaker we need, which is maybe why we drafted a real SS in chung. F*** i hope our kids step up because as much as everyone talks about belichicks drafting, we have yet to see it on the field in recent years, minus j-mayo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Consider Mayo's brilliant & unrelentless dedication to greatness, Merriwether's coming of age & growing confidence as well as Wheatly & Wilhite showing occasional glimpses of talent. Then look at Crable, Guyton & Woods. Add the arrival of Chung, Brace & Butler to name a few more... positive aggressive winds blowing in Foxboro. Fire-filled desire...competition and opportunity to take it to the next level - NE's Defense should soon be top 5 good again. With veteran leaders and great coaching, what happens? A few questions about your predictions: Who will make the biggest strides - become real difference makers this year? How will each contribute? How will they mesh with with starting Pats veterans? Which new FA's end up as starters & when? Name your winners! Anxious for your opinions.. Neil

The Patriots defense is likely to stink this year. You really think the Patriots' rookies, just because they were drafted by us, are automatically "steals" and will coordinate and mesh together into a top five unit? More likely to be swiss cheese. If one of the key guys gets hurt, we are in deep doo-doo on defense.
    Posted by noahsark

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This is an interesting question.I think you have to look to the biggest additions on Defense to see where you are going to improve the most at,last year we had a terrible red zone defense so I'm going to go with Springs and Bodden as the major contributors to helping this defense improve,as to what degree thats a whole other question but top 15 is reasonable,top 10 reachable beyond that would be a miracle.I will add that anyone of the 3 top rookies Brace,Chung and Butler could shine,my choice for Patriot defensive rookie of the year woul be Brace simply because he's that good !!! Everyone thought that Raji was the star of the BC defense but I'm here to tell you it was Brace who opened up the holes for Raji not the other way around also watch out for either Appelby or McClinton I like them both based upon all I've read.Chung will be a late bloomer but he jump up into the mix by week 8.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

I think the d will be vastly improved. The d-line is the same plus the addition of brace, the d-backs will be greatly improved. the only question mark is lb's, but mayo, bruschi and ad back i really don't see it much different than last year. plus, woods proved to be a solid player and crable or redd may really step up. this is if the pats don't pick up another player.

I really think people lose site of the fact that the pats or any nfl team are not going to have superstars at every position. the cap and the pats management of depth of quality players is what has turned them into a dynasty. it is impossible to have the perfect team with the cap and that is a good thing.

having said that, the pats still will have a record breaking offense with their leader back at the helm. A d-line with 3 first round picks and quality depth. a completely revamped defensive backfield with young talent all over the place (wheatley, whilhite, butler, merriweather, chung) and a linebacker core with the returning defensive rookie of the year and a top flight olb in thomas.  so that leaves the players to fight over a olb and ilb position.

pretty good situation to be in!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

well said, ctpat!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I think Butler will be the fastest riser from the beginning of the season to the end.  I expect him to pass Wheatley and Wilhite on the depth chart, and get significant time, along with Bodden and Springs.  Chung will contribute immediately as the 3rd safety, and will eventually swap spots with Sanders, but I think that might not be until year 2.

I agree that Crable is the most interesting guy to watch in terms of risers.  He has a ton of athletic ability and if BB drafts  a linebacker in round 3 he must be a smart guy as well.  He's had a year to learn the system, and I expect him to challenge for either the starting spot, or significant time this season.

As hard as it is to believe, I also think we could be talking about Mayo as one of the most improved players this year as well.  He was great as a rookie, but he has an unbelievable work ethic and is intent on taking his game to the next level, becoming a big player maker.

In addition to the ones I listed, I'd specifically like to see some development from Wheatley and Wilhite.  Also, I'd like to see Meriweather continue improving to become a true star (I think he's not that far).

Offensively, it's got to be Maroney.  This is his chance, and he's got to take advantage.  In the second half of 2007 and the playoffs, we saw what he can do when running healthy and with confidence.  Now its time to apply that for an entire season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Trox, there is no way Chung will start over Sanders, Sanders is now making 3 million per season and we dont pay a guy that kind of money to ride the bench. I think Belichick will work out a rotation between the 3 of our top safetys and they will all get playing time. Sanders will play, Merriwhether will play, and Chung will play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First off, the rooks don't play that much in the NFL's most complex D backfield.  Chung will definitely make the field by November because there's a hole.  Butler, maybe not.  Butler will be a nickel boy this year.

Brace will walk right in and rotate on the D-line.  It doesn't take much extra prep to get on the line and push. 

Second years count as new blood.  Wilhite will start by October.  Crable and Pierre Woods will both vindicate BB on passing downs.  Look out for improvement here.

I say the D gets its act really together on third down. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

Trox, there is no way Chung will start over Sanders, Sanders is now making 3 million per season and we dont pay a guy that kind of money to ride the bench. I think Belichick will work out a rotation between the 3 of our top safetys and they will all get playing time. Sanders will play, Merriwhether will play, and Chung will play.
    Posted by MVPkilla

lol @ the Pats starting someone because he makes the most money at the position.  They will play whoever gives them the best chance to win Ldo regardless of money.  I said I think Chung has a chance to start the 2nd half of season not at the start.  Ever hear of Drew Bledsoe?  Did you want him to start the superbowl because he was making $14 mill or whatever it was?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I keep trying to post some meaningful thought, but every time I see Trox1's avatar I lose my train of thought.  What discussion is this...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trox1. Show Trox1's posts

I keep trying to post some meaningful thought, but every time I see Trox1's avatar I lose my train of thought.  What discussion is this...
    Posted by carawaydj

Haha is it really that distracting?  If you guys want i will change it.  Would you all rather i put up some Pats pic or a pic of TB?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It's a good distraction.  If this were the Colts or Chargers forum, you'd probably see avatars of little kittens, corn husks, Brad Pitt, and so on.  (sure to rile up the trolls from those teams) Your avatar makes me proud to be a Pats guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

Haha is it really that distracting?  If you guys want i will change it.  Would you all rather i put up some Pats pic or a pic of TB?
    Posted by Trox1

I just want to see it in Hi-def.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southie77. Show southie77's posts

If salary is deciding who will start, Jarvis Green will be playing every down instead of being a target of trade or cut.

Actual game experience is critical to see if a player really has it. A lot of people were screaming about cutting or trading Cassel in preseaon last year. Many were fretting about Brady replacing Bledsoe, and Asante Samuels replacing Ty Law. I would rather see the Pats letting the young players come into their own if they have the potential, rather than renting older "name" players who are towards the tail end of their career for a year or so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect81. Show mosseffect81's posts

I say quit counting the chickens before they hatch.its like playing blind mans bluff.with nothing but unproven players.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Posted by BostonBobBlowhard

OK, thanks Leon, I mean "Bob."  How about Sanchez?  He's not an unproven rookie, is he?  Odds are, he won't s**k as as bad as Favre did, right?  The Jets offense is going to be dynamite right?  Thoughts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Crable, Brace and Butler will be part of the rotation eventually. Some of these rookies will have to contribute on special teams (no Izzo No Washington) to start. Meriweather is a free safety Chung is considered a Strong Safety. I could see Butler and Chung on special teams then in nickel and dime packages. Meriweather will continue to improve (more INTs, more safety blitz sacks). I don't expect anyone of the current rookie crop to step up big , like say Seymour and Mayo did, in their rookie season. Next year and the following year they will be better players. It's a tough playbook to learn and anyone they face in the NFL is better than just about everyone they faced in college. Rookie DBs routinely get burnt so hanging them out to dry and undermining their confidence by starting them Day One is seldom a good idea; best to limit their reps and evaluate where they will fit in to the big picture down the stretch.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I think Chung will be in the rotation at Safety from Day 1. Unless there is some kind of injury, he won't be a "starter", but still he'll get significant playing time. 30%-35% of the snaps seems reasonable.
    Butler could get a lot of playing time at the end of the season. I think he'll start the season 4th or 5th on the depth chart, but as he learns the defense and as injuries hit, he could push his way into a starting roll.
    Brace will only see significant playing time if there are a couple of injuries on the D-Line.
    Out of the second-year guys, Wheatley and Wilhite could both start games if injuries hit. I imagine that they'll also play in nickel and dime packages. It'll be interesting to see if Wheatley can stay healthy and what kind of jump he and Wilhite make entering their second years.
    Mayo will be a great ILB. I think Guyton will be improved, but I wonder how well he'll be able to stop the run if they needed to use him on early downs. I think he'll be on the field for 50% of the snaps. Crable has tons of potential and could earn himself the starting job opposite Thomas, but I don't think he will. I think he'll work his way into the rotation as the season progresses, playing 15%-20% of the snaps.
    Overall, though, I think the defense is slightly improved over 2008.

Sections
Shortcuts