Young Patriot you are most exited about?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Young Patriot you are most exited about?

In Response to Re: Young Patriot you are most exited about?:
    [QUOTE]really no edleman???   breakout year... also his college coach compared vareen to marshall faulk... if he is 1/3 that...that is one hell of a pick... haha did someone tell the babe mankins is here for good?? hahahahahahaha oh ya i did about a month ago on one of his silly blog entries
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

It cracks me up the way college coaches do this every year. I didn't hear that one though...priceless!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

[QUOTE]We already know that Gronk, Hernandez and McCourty are REALLY good players. So of course we are excited about them. I think it is more interesting to ask which young player who has yet to make an impact are you excited about (I would not inlcude Haynesworth or Chad O here because they are also proven). On that score I would suggest the following players: - Vereen - Price - Moore - Pryor - Smith Vereen may end up being a significant difference on O in the second half of the year. Price.... fingers crossed... Moore and/or Pryor could be surprises to many. Can Smith do the really great job Crumpler did last year? I would include the following except that I think they impact later - Dowling - Solder
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

I think Smith will surprise many folks.  This kid can play and any injury to Gronk will have him in the game on the Line. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Would have voted for Solder.  Voted for Gronk--I know it won't be a "surprise" for him to develop, but if he continues to grow and hones his craft as a sophomore, man look out.

Think Spikes is going to be a beast too.  Especially think he could do something from the Mike position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

If you asked me at the beginning of camp, I would have said Cunningham, but given a mediocre camp I've lowered my expectations for him. Based on that I'd have to give the nod to Vereen, or the continued development of Gronk.

Like a lot of posters here, I think Vereen might be able to bring some things to the table that we haven't seen for a long time in Foxboro...in that if he truly pans out he won't be a grinder like Dillon but possibly a gamebreaker threat along the lines of Curtis Martin '95-'97.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I'm going to have to go with: Ras-I Dowling. 

You'll see!  This kid can play!  and very smart football player. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Great responses, everyone. I voted for Taylor Price myself to kick it off. From what I hear in camp, he is doing extremely well, and he might be the best overall athlete on that side of the ball. He is getting reps like a 4th wideout. If he continues to improve he could steal some first team reps. I am exited to see if this guy 6'2" 200 4.36 40, can pick up the offense and let his natural athletic ability shine ... if he does, watch out NFL. After that, Spikes would be my backup. The reports on Spikes show him flying around the field. I think this kid is a playmaker. Not just a 'take out the trash" ILB in the mold of players like Ted Johnson. He has an instinct to punch the ball loose, make a sly interception, and NE hasn't tapped his potential as an interior blitzer which is anothjer natural forte of his, all those things he did in Florida, he can do here, and the camp reports seem to show that the game has slowed down evern more for him after an impressive rookie campaign. I didn't vote for McCourty and Gronk simply because I was already expecting great things from them. For me to be "surprised" by them, they would have to set NFL records at their positions this upcomiong season. IOW, they were already fantastic, and I have expectations for them. Lol, guess it's human nature to get spoiled really quickly.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I didn't list McCourty or Gronk either because already expecting great things from them. Truth be told it will be difficult for McCourty to outperform last year. He had probably one of the best 1st seasons I have seen out of any player in Pats history. How hard is it going to be for him to duplicate his INT's, tackles, etc? Gronk, the sky is the limit with him. Big 2nd year for him.

Price gets my 1st vote, and Spikes will be interesting to watch. Especially if BB is planning on using him in the middle when we line up in a 4 man line. I think this is Spikes natural position, and I don't put a lot of credence in his lack of speed there. His instincts are far and above better than most ILB's, especially for a 2nd year kid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I voted for Ridley. I just love to watch a big back that can run, and loves to  run over defenders instead of around them. This is our clock eater and short yardage/goal line guy. I think BJGE will get about half of the TDs he had last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Aaron Hernandez.  He is the hardest to cover in camp.

I would like to be excited about Price, but I've heard and seen this story b4, so I will take a wait and see approach w/him. Just too many guys wasted at that positon to believe Price will break out this year...only played one garbage time game last year

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

You know who you left off z that mebbe should get some attention?  Dane Fletcher.

Still remember the SD game and the Packers game--flashed some heads up play there.  Be interesting to watch him.  BB on Fletcher:
    [QUOTE]Dane’s in a very unusual situation, it’s a short list of players who have gone from being defensive linemen to being inside linebackers that I’ve worked with: Harry Carson would be one, Tedy Bruschi would be two, and Dane would be a third example of that. Most of the time, those guys go from being defensive ends in college to outside linebackers at our level. To take a defensive lineman to an inside linebacker position, it’s a much bigger challenge, to go from a defensive lineman to a guy that has coverage responsibilities, formation responsibilities, to seeing the game from your feet, and from depth, as opposed to seeing it this far away from you, [that is] the guy across from you. It’s a whole different ballgame, and there’s not a lot of players that can do that. Dane’s done a good job of it. He obviously has a long way to go, he’s nowhere close to being a finished product, but the progress that he’s made from the spring, to training camp, to in-season has been significant, enough that we’re going to continue to work with him there and he’s contributed for us. Dane was good in the kicking game, he was active, and that enabled him to get a bigger role on the defensive side of the ball, he’s been able to capitalize on some of those opportunities.[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I voted for Gronk.  I think he's best TE the Pats have had since the great Ben Coates. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]My vote is for Spikes. Everytime I hear the Locals on the radio talk about him they say he looks better than last year and he looked pretty good last year for a rookie. Add to that the Patriots revamping their D-Line and that can only mean good things for Spikes.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Spikes is my #2. He looked amazing for a rookie last season.

The fact that they say he has improved is scary. If he is the kind of player he was in college, Mayo and Spikes could be a truly historic inside tandem.

I was really excited to read from Bedard that NE has been giving Spikes reps at MLB and using Mayo outside in 4-3 looks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Would have voted for Solder.  Voted for Gronk--I know it won't be a "surprise" for him to develop, but if he continues to grow and hones his craft as a sophomore, man look out. Think Spikes is going to be a beast too.  Especially think he could do something from the Mike position.
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

They have him taking reps there. That is exciting to me that they switched him and Mayo. Bedard's reasoning, which I like, is that Spikes playing there would free Mayo to use his speed to make plays on the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]You know who you left off z that mebbe should get some attention?  Dane Fletcher. Still remember the SD game and the Packers game--flashed some heads up play there.  Be interesting to watch him.  BB on Fletcher:
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I think Fletcher has an uphill battle. Taking reps from Mayo and Spikes will be tough. But, from what I've seen, he could take a run at the 4th ILB spot. The battle should be on between he and Guyton.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Young Patriot you are most exited about? : Ditto. Spikes is my #2. He looked amazing for a rookie last season. The fact that they say he has improved is scary. If he is the kind of player he was in college, Mayo and Spikes could be a truly historic inside tandem. I was really excited to read from Bedard that NE has been giving Spikes reps at MLB and using Mayo outside in 4-3 looks.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm looking forward to seeing Mayo on the outside, Spikes playing inside. What really makes me giddy, is that the pass rush can come from anywhere and everywhere this year. We are not dependent on 1 sackmaster coming from 1 position to light up the opposing QB..If guys play to their potential, we are bringing the heat up the middle, from the end, from Mayo or Guyton on the outside, DB, etc. I hope BB uses this D to apply pressure early and often, take some calculated risks, etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Great thread.  Another vote for Price here.  That said, from what I'm hearing about Gronk he is absolutely kicking a$s in camp.  The O may really become something special yet again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Gronk is quickly becoming my favorite Pat. He can do it all and is an absolute beast.

Other than that though, I would say Ryan Mallett. I have been to a couple practices so far and the guy throws lasers. I hope he plays a good amount tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

Spikes is going to kill people

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

There's too many to choose just one...  but Cunningham has a chance to shine now with an actual D line in front of him so lets see if he can get to the QB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i am just hoping this years draft turns out as good as last years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I voted Gronk, he is not a surprise but I am excited to see him take it to another level and grab the national media spotlight as the top TE in the game. Might not happen but an exciting thing to hope for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I expect more great things from Gronk/McCourty/Hernandez/Spikes this year. Im most excited about Price.

Has amazing speed, good size and should know the system rather well now. With Tate injured( I think ), its Price's time to show what he is made of.

Being realistic, a 25 catch, 400 yard and 2-4 TD season would be awesome from Price as the #4. No way he beats out Welker/Ocho/Branch but I think he might beat out Tate and produce in this "spread the ball around" offense.

Im going to be watching him every play he is in during the preseason, I want to see how he looks.

Im also looking forward to watching Ryan Mallet play, I have low expectations seeing as he is a QB who missed OTA's and he probably hasn't digested half the playbook yet but the kid has amazing potential. Hopefully, he gets to play in all 4 pre-season games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

I was going to vote for Mayo before I saw the list.  I can see why is wasn't on the list, but he is young and I do expect him to reach another level this season.  He's potentially shifting outside in the 4-3, he's going to have some impressive personnel around him, and he was clearly heading toward being a super-star already.
    For the list, I go with Taylor Price.  Just like the King, I'm basing this on a feeling (and maybe on a little hope, as well.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]i am just hoping this years draft turns out as good as last years.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I think on paper, this year's draft looks very promising. Hard to top last years with so many productive players. one key difference is a large majority of the players drafted are not going to crack the starting lineup, or get significant reps..I can't see Solder replacing Light this season, Ras replacing McC, Bodden or Arrington, Smith getting ahead of Gronk/Hernandez, Cannon for obvious reasons, Mallett, etc., etc. The only draftees that may get any significant time may be the RB's. This year's draft won't sort itself out at least until next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

At the top of my list:

Gronk, McCourty, and Dowling are all on my watch list. I expect big things from Gronk and McCourty, and I am hoping Dowling can become a really good player as well.

Also excited for:

Nate Soldier, Taylor Price, and Spikes. Hopefully they all play well this season, and can contribute to the team. I can see Spikes becoming a major part of our defense. I hope TP can also make solid contributions in the passing game aswell