Your NFL Football Roots.... BEFORE the Pats, WHO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Re: Your NFL Football Roots.... BEFORE the Pats, WHO?

As a little kid in the sixties I was a John Unitas- Baltimore Colts fan. I loved Raymond Berry and as you know he went on to be the Pat's head coach in the 80's.
    I became a pats fan in the 70's when Steve Grogan replaced Plunket. Chuck Fairbanks was the coach. The team was stocked with talent- John Hanna, Leon Gray, Russ francis, Stanley Morgan, Mike Haynes, Steve Nelson and Sam the bam Cunningham. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Cleveland Browns fan.  And, Natesubs, my $.02 is that BB showed little genius back then.  20 Years a spoiled Pat's fan.  You can hardly imagine the tragedy of being a Browns fan. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I stated to love the pats due to that horse collar Grogan wore.  Never looked back and always loved them.  My only team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Nice post, Laz.

I was born in '79. My grandfather was a Giants fan, so even though I was raised to root for the Sox, Celtics, and Bruins, I didn't have that early push to root for the Patsies.

I had a Lawrence Taylor poster on my wall, and enjoyed the Giants two super bowls on the radio.

Parcells came to New England when I was in the 4th grade, and the switch to my real home team (New England actually includes Vermont) was a no-brainer.

My childhood support of the Giants is the only blemish on my Boston sports fan credentials, but at least I got to enjoy two extra Super Bowl wins, and I can use the honest excuse that I didn't know better:)

Also, my uncle used to be a water boy for the Giants for several years, when they held pre-season in Burlington, VT during the Frank Gifford years.

I also got an Irving Fryer autograph just before Parcells came to town. That was pretty sweet for a little kid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

~Thanx a ton arodrambone...trully hoped those that read it, could feel the similiar experience I had and shared because of this team.  As you know, with your own experiences, There are times of rebellion against those aspects that are too familiarly shared with loved ones, even region.  Yet, good to come back home to roost (a bad, overused barnyard anecdote...that's good laz-how late is it?).  Btw, lovin' the bone-dry wit of finding out 'Vermont was part of N.E.', always dig humour best when can possibly be overlooked (excellent chicken breeding puns are obviously the single exception).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I was born in 81' , born and raised 5 minutes away from the GAHden! How lucky I am! My first loves were the B's and Celts because I grew up playing b-ball/hockey and still do. The PATS were right there with them though, even at the young age of 6-7 I can remember watching Stanley Morgan and thinking "man thats the fastest guy ever" LOL. Still to this day some of my favorite times ever were going to the 88' and 90' playoffs for the B's, the Garden was absolutely crazy and the people crazier. The place smelled like a cross between peanuts/beer and sausages and I remember literally be scared because of all the banging on the old vents, at times all you could hear was nuts banging the chit out of them and stomping their feet. The place was seriously shaking, it was awsome. It was the same thing at the Celts games, Im not sure even today I fully understand how fortunate I am for witnessing greatness up close. Ill never forget the metal banging when the B's scored. Even with all the stars of today, and the evolution of the athlete Ray Bourque and Larry Bird are right at the top of my list as sports heros. Sorry, this post wasnt totally PATS related, but those are some of my favorite memories and Ill cherish them forever and my grandfather for bringing me to those games. During intermissions he would tell me to make sure I didnt move my butt from the seat and he would sign Bourques  name on a magizine, I still have them today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

I always been a pats fan. My first memories of football and the Patriots was the 86 super bowl against the bears.  ouch.  So i've been fan through the good and very bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

Started following the Pats during the AFL days.  I attended a Pats game in Fenway Park.....I've pretty much seen this franchise go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

My family and I moved in 1984 (I was 11) from Puerto Rico to Methuen, MA.  I began watching the Pats and was able to go to a few games.  I immediately loved the sport and the team.  This who I have followed ever since as well as all other Boston teams. 

Now I live in Atlanta so my second team is the Falcons but my heart is always with the Patriots.  We saw them going through hard times and now have been spoiled with all the success of this decade. The team didn't do what we were hopping for, 4th SB win, this year but it could be worse, it could be back to how it was in the late 80s or the 1-15 1990 season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

Well, I grew up in Northern NJ & about 45 min. away from Giant Stadium.  So of course the Giants was the team everyone in my town rooted for.  For me I was never big into football ever growing up...I played too much ice hockey to have time to even see football games on sundays.  But when I went to college at NU in Boston and heard that Bill Parcells had just become head coach of  the Patriots, I was instantly became a Patriots fan & started to watch the Patriots games.  I call myself a semi-band wagon fan as I jumped on board as formentioned....BUT as I also tell people, beleive me, I went through times of screaming at the TV, throwing things at the TV, having my days ruined by Patriot losses, which were many back then!  I've also had the joy of being a fan through the superbowl wins, even if I moved about New England & out to AZ and some of the highs & lows of the '07 season in CA & now in FL where the Pats are still gonna make strong runs for seasons to come!  I've thus learned though, that football IS just a game and it doesn't effect my life directly (I don't bet) and just watch & enjoy being a Diehard Pats fan & a true fan of the NFL in general.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Always have been a Pats fan. The Rams and Raiders were tied for my second favorites.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

Jumped on the bandwagon in 85-86 (yup I admit it, I am a bandwagon fan.)  Haven't fallen off since.

Didn't really care too much about f-ball prior to that, I would watch games with my dad, he liked the niner's (mostly Montana) before he jumped on the bandwagon with me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwiegmann24. Show cwiegmann24's posts

I'm from Iowa, so I got to see the Packers/Vikings/Bears every weekend. Fortunately my father was not very good at keeping the tv on any one channel, so the first full NFL game I watched was Patriots/Browns in the wild-card playoffs in '94. The Patriots lost that game, 13-7 (against a Bill Belichick-coached Brown team) but I was pulling for the comeback so much that after that the Patriots were my team. A few years later they were in the Super Bowl against the Packers, and my dad and I made a snow-sculpture in our yard (which got me on the front page of the local small-town paper). I guess you could say that I've been a Patriot fan ever since I was old enough to understand football and make a choice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

My answer is pretty standard for New England I think... I was born when New England Patriots were a baby... So I have always had the Patriots as my favorite team however my dad was a fan of the Giants as they were the closest and only team he could see regularly growing up. Consequently I also follow the GIants and I usually say it like this I am a fan of the Patriots First with the Giants a close second and obviously if they play eachother I cheer my Patriots on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I also wanted to mention after thinking about this that my first full season I really remember is 1976... some very good players back then, possibly the best running game I have ever seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I remember, as a 7 year old, crying as the Patriots got their a**'s handed to them by the Bears in '86, so I've been a lifelong Pat's fan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgirl6. Show patsgirl6's posts

I'm a lifer too. I live and die by this team. Somedays are harder than others but thats okay. Thats what its all about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

There was no football team before the Patriots.

The only other football teams in my life were the ones for which I played

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I grew up in westerm Mass, and the Giants were the team we got to watch so I watched and rooted with my father. When they let Tarkington go back to Minn. I swore I would never root for them again. And haven't. I became a Patriots fan on that day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-in-md. Show pats-fan-in-md's posts

Moved to R.I in 1964 @ 8 yrs old from a state that didn't have any teams. Fell in love with the Sox & the Pats soon after. Father was in the Navy and we moved every three years, so I represented the Pats thru thick and thin around the world.
    I was always trying to convert the local fans in the areas I lived. Even now, in Raven's territory, I have been able to sell 3 lifetime Pats fan memberships at $50 each.

Sections
Shortcuts