Your off-season Moves (realistic) To Make the Pats All they Can Be.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Your off-season Moves (realistic) To Make the Pats All they Can Be.

topic inspired by my buddy ramekap.

my thoughts beloiw:

rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.

i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games played through his career or not. if not sign him,. if hes gonna play half teh time, no.

before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a super bowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.

re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.

talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based and games played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.

though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get jake long for right tackle.

and woudl have to replace welker if he left. 

we need a starting safety opposite mccourty in free agency. 

i would be on the phone to byrd (buff) and goldson (sf), see who might want to be a patriot for less than top dollar (but still good money). our secondary starters woudl be set with talib, dennard at corner; mcc and gholson/bird at safety.

pickup a wilfork 2.0, a jones 2.0 and a dominant c/g and we are set. 

(after resigning welker and vollmer [or repacing him if back is going ot be a career issue])

in the 7th rd or in udfa, we need a tall outside wr who can get separation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Your off-season Moves (realistic) To Make the Pats All they Can Be.

ppp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Go out and get 3 big WRs in the 6'5 range, and another big TE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

cant' hurt :)

but i wouldnt mind 1 6, 2" + wr who can get separation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah, but we need a couple megatrons. we have the gronkatron, but we need some big fleet footed WRs. i'm tired of hobbits and dwarfs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah, but we need a couple megatrons. we have the gronkatron, but we need some big fleet footed WRs. i'm tired of hobbits and dwarfs

[/QUOTE]

by no means am i objecting. had we one last year, even with bill obrinas gaem mismanagement, it woudlve been a win (even with gronk injured).

im jsu tsaying id like at least 1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Dashon Goldson for me, can't wait to see him in action today. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

my absolute first move would be is to fire matt patricia. hands down. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

1) A top Cornerback.

2) A big, strong, fast WR who can get open deep

3) Ideally, I'd love to see us get a top established OC and/or DC, but that will never happen.  I think the strategy of promoting from within has left us with McDaniels and Patricia, who are on no one's short list of good co-ordinators. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to VeritasMD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) A top Cornerback.

2) A big, strong, fast WR who can get open deep

3) Ideally, I'd love to see us get a top established OC and/or DC, but that will never happen.  I think the strategy of promoting from within has left us with McDaniels and Patricia, who are on no one's short list of good co-ordinators. 

[/QUOTE]

nice list veritas. especialy appreciate #3.

if you want to hit that wr you better get some hlep for o line....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Man, before the season started I said the Patriots should look into Cortland Finnegan and Cris Carr.

Had they done that this Patriots defense would be off the hook right now.  So CB needs to be addressed, who will be availbel at the end of the year?

I agree with a nice tall and speedy receiver or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man, before the season started I said the Patriots should look into Cortland Finnegan and Cris Carr.

Had they done that this Patriots defense would be off the hook right now.  So CB needs to be addressed, who will be availbel at the end of the year?

I agree with a nice tall and speedy receiver or two.

[/QUOTE]

tfb, if only you were making that decision it would have been an undeafeated trip to thte sb likely.

re cbs, we'll have to check. im sayung we need to get  asafety for next to mccourty goldson or byrd.

cb's will look

"I agree with a nice tall and speedy receiver or two."

i'll take one, who can catch.

dont forget the o lihne or you wont hit that receiver.

and a pass rusher

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In order of importance  1) D/E or LB that can get to the QB playing opposite Jones  2) Safety that can COVER-a True Free Safety  3)Hate to say it but a real CB playing opposite of Talib 4)  OffensiveTackle 5) Safeties and CBs with evey pick from here on--- maybe if we pick enough we will land one that is good unlike the past ten years of crap we drafted----also wished we took a chance on Janoris Jenkins the kids having a great rookie year and playing with a chip on his shoulder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In order of importance  1) D/E or LB that can get to the QB playing opposite Jones  2) Safety that can COVER-a True Free Safety  3)Hate to say it but a real CB playing opposite of Talib 4)  OffensiveTackle 5) Safeties and CBs with evey pick from here on--- maybe if we pick enough we will land one that is good unlike the past ten years of crap we drafted----also wished we took a chance on Janoris Jenkins the kids having a great rookie year and playing with a chip on his shoulder.

[/QUOTE]

hey jimmy.

1 you cant say the j jenkins thing now. after leaving me to take the heat for it for a year :)

(that and the mccourty cb to safety move were inspired the most victriole comments for a year....)

by the way if we cant do it for 10 years, what makes you think wasting another 6 picks will be any good.

your list mostly overlaps mine excpet c/ g instead of off tackle

in secondary players would prefer free agents.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

yea this one is pretty easy imo.....a big physical receiver and another cornerback.....oh and get rid of arrington.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yea this one is pretty easy imo.....a big physical receiver and another cornerback.....oh and get rid of arrington.

[/QUOTE]

a corner, even agreat one wont help our de unless we get a pas rush. so get a pass rusher alone or get a pass rusher and a top corner. in fa or draft. problem is the kind of pass rusher we need and a top corner will go in firs round. so therefore give me the pass rusher in rd 1. unless we get one in free agency prior. babin?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

A running back like Marshawn Lynch

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

an Oline that can handle good defenses

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

an Oline that can handle good defenses

[/QUOTE]

hi brad,

my recent post to draft thread.

ok mb, this is how i have it:

the huuuuge glaring need for this team 1a and 1a is at off line and pass rush.

so we need a strategy that starts there. sure an elite corner would be great to have but with a weak pass rush as ours, it wont matter much.

without some o line help that can win at run blocking and pass blocking this offense will never be at its peak and therefore make successful sb bids (wins) very unlikely.

good o line talent can be chosen later in the draft, but pass rushers will be gone by late rd 1.

so we need to either get babin in the offseason or another proven pass rusher or move up with the help of 2014 picks and get a player like jordan or ansah in rd 1.

we use the rd 3 pick on frederick moving up in rd 3 if need be if we think he will be grabbed (again usign 2014 picks - we wont need a ton more youth after this year. we need more experience and   a few key players).

with the rd 2 pick id like to get a dt (outside wr who can separate and catch is a need, but our ability to pick one is poor. ditto for a cb or s)

however through fa and the draft we need a safety that can hit and can cover ala j byrd or goldson who are available; a top corner to go along with talb (so we can make dennard [or dowling if he dont break] our 3rd corner); a linebacker with speed who can cover tes/rbs out of backfield, and the above mentioned big wr who can separate on the outside.

there are numerous variations obviously depending on who we target in fa.

the only scenario i can see where id be ok with taking a rhodes (cb) for instance in rd 1 is if we have the pass rusher already in fa. given my druthers id rather have a modest cb in fa who is proven and get the elite dt in rd 1 in this case (having our pass rusher in fa).

so barring fa pickup,

rd 1 de jordan/ansah

rd 2 dt  williams (will he fall here? some mocks say yes, some say no)

rd 3 c/g frederick

if we dont trade up far enough to get a pass rusher in rd 1,

fallback

willimas dt in 1

hunt de in 2

frederickc/g  in 3.

if we land de babin

williams dt (or barret jones c/g) in 1

best player availble (safety ie rambo/cb ie poyer/speed lb -not spotted yet/wr whoever falls)or dt willimas in 2 if barrett jones in rd 1

frederick in 3

wr in rd 7 (big separating reciver with hands possibly smalll school, div 3 etc, maybe no route running exp)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A running back like Marshawn Lynch

[/QUOTE]

lattimore should drop (knwee injury) low enough for any team wanting him if bb isnt satisfied

but i dotnhave this as a glaring need right now. 

or suffice it to say, there are 6-7 much higher needs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i think the pass rsuh has to be better and teh o line has to be better. brady is a punching bag.

after that safety and cb have to get better.

need a speed guy wr outside and a speed linebacker

all in fa and draft.

have to also retain or replace welker, vollmer and talib

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

First round pick Margus Hunt DE

FA that BB will look at:

Dwight Freeny,  Osi, Bennett,Byrd, Reed,, Delmas, Long

This is my Christmas wish list.

Talib 4/ 28

Welker 3/ 30

Freeny 2 / 8

Byrd 5 / 40

Jake Long 3 / 21

Bennet  5 / 30

Since we only have 35 in cap space you

would have to restructure a few contracts

but that can be done as well as releasing

some dead weight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My take by position:

QB--okay, but maybe pick up a developmental guy to put some pressure on Mallet

RB--okay, probably should re-sign Woodhead; could consider a FB

TE--set, especially with Ballard coming back; might consider re-signing Hoomanawanui

WR--I'd like to see Welker back, but not sure whether the Pats will pay as much as they'll need to to keep him.  The only other receiver I see as a definite keeper is Lloyd.  I think we need to end up with four or five of these (not counting Slater, who is really a special teamer).  This is an area that needs some work, either in free agency or the draft.

OL--Vollmer's contract is up, I believe, and we should re-sign him, I think.  I do have some concerns a out his back, though.  Even if we re-sign him, we may want a third right tackle who is good enough to start (not sure it's Cannon).  Need help on the interior line, both at Center and Guard. Another area that needs work, probably best addressed in the draft.

DL--need interior linemen and can always use pass rushing DEs.  This seems like a draft priority.

LB--okay, but would take a LB who is a better pass coverage guy.  Unfortunately, we have three middle LBs in Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower and no real outside LB.  Still wonder if Tavon Wilson gets converted to the "big nickel" guy to supplement the LBs on passing downs.  

DBs--need a safety; I'd like to see Talib re-signed, but I think we still need another corner even if Talib is back.  Could see this addressed in free agency, but also a possibility for the draft. 

ST--set, assuming Demps is a kick returner and Edelman is back for punts. 

Draft priorities:  DL, OL, Safety

Other areas of need: WR, CB, maybe the right LB

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

you ever hear of the word provocative, Scully. Bredbru throws stuff out there that is fun to discuss. And you couldn't be more wrong in arguing that the Pats are "loaded" on both sides of the ball.  We're still thin and iffy in the secondary, we have three middle linebackers playing, our DL outside of Vince and Nink are young and inconsistent. On the O side our OLine lacks depth and a solid interior type.