Your thoughts on Revis?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Your thoughts on Revis?

If Revis plays like the shutdown top 3 CB he is and is healthy all year, do you think the Patriots should try to sign him up for several more years?

2 years/ 32 million?

3 years/ 48 million?

4 years/ 60 million?

I say Yes and would try to get a 3 year deal with him. I think having a CB of his caliber in this pass happy league is worth the money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Revis?

Have him retire a Pat and build a dominant D for a change. This season will be about one thing and one thing only..

HEALTH!!!!!

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

The current, bloated 2nd year they added on is clearly only a retainer of sorts on paper but he won't be here unless it's under BB's terms. I don't care who you are.

One step at a time is the way I see it.  Make sure he fits, then go from there after the season ends.  He'll either want to be here for the right reasons or he won't.

He won't go anywhere better than here, though, you can bank on that and I think that is the purpose of his 1 year deal here from BB's point of view.  Revis has all but gushed over how things run in Foborough and he'll probably think he's in Disneyworld as it goes on.  Having Ty Law in your ear certainly doesn't hurt either.  Ty regrets penny pinching his way out the door.  Revis's first half of his career has been marred by worrying about a contract every year, and it's actually tarnished his reputation.

IMO, he has a lot to prove to show he's that guy he used to be way back in 2009.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

He can return to 2011 form, pay him. big time.

I didn't see much of him in 2013 but he wasn't in a system that fit him and didn't like the team it seemed. he was there for the 16M which is disturbing.

Even his comments at OTAs yesterday still prove to me this guy just wants the money. he said "right now" its all good.

Still, I'm on board for signing him

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

He hasn't played one down for the Patriots and they should re-sign him already?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well he is one of the best CB's in the league

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have him retire a Pat and build a dominate D for a change. This season will be about one thing and one thing only..

HEALTH!!!!!

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

[/QUOTE]

It is exciting to have a guy of his caliber here. I think everyone can agree having a CB like him, gives BB so much more flexibility as far as gameplanning and playcalling goes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The current, bloated 2nd year they added on is clearly only a retainer of sorts on paper but he won't be here unless it's under BB's terms. I don't care who you are.

One step at a time is the way I see it.  Make sure he fits, then go from there after the season ends.  He'll either want to be here for the right reasons or he won't.

He won't go anywhere better than here, though, you can bank on that and I think that is the purpose of his 1 year deal here from BB's point of view.  Revis has all but gushed over how things run in Foborough and he'll probably think he's in Disneyworld as it goes on.  Having Ty Law in your ear certainly doesn't hurt either.  Ty regrets penny pinching his way out the door.  Revis's first half of his career has been marred by worrying about a contract every year, and it's actually tarnished his reputation.

IMO, he has a lot to prove to show he's that guy he used to be way back in 2009.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say here. My biggest worry is his ego. I have no problem if he has a swagger towards the rest of the league based on his play. However, if he starts talking contracts and money similar to what Moss did and he makes it too much about himself, then he probably won't be here very long. Maybe a 2 year deal would be better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you say here. My biggest worry is his ego. I have no problem if he has a swagger towards the rest of the league based on his play. However, if he starts talking contracts and money similar to what Moss did and he makes it too much about himself, then he probably won't be here very long. Maybe a 2 year deal would be better.

[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me he'll be resigned with a team friendly deal, but also one that shows respect for his prowess as a top tier CB.

Personally, and I am sure you and others know this, I think his rep was totally bloated with the Jets. He was easily a top 3 CB in the league, but this whole mantra of him being the best by this long shot, was embarrassing to watch. He had that breakout year in 2009 with Ryan in there and then was hurt most of 2010, had a very good 2011 and then blew out his leg early in 2012.  So, it's been a while since he could come close to claiming this mantel of being the best as if it's a fact.  I think it was a fact in 2009, but that's really it.

The comedy of it is, the Jets helped create that monster, REvis took it and ran and the Jets got very little from it other than a 1st rd pick, which is better than nothing.

At the end of it, they overrated Sanchez and Revis and paid for it.  All because they had a new stadium Woody Johnson wanted to see offset from his financials and to drive PSL sales.  Now, we have Revis for at least 1 year as a rental to help win it all or maybe he's ready to settle in and stop being a nozzle about needing the highest contact every time a moron team over-pays another CB.

BB will never, ever allow a star player to control things, though. He made that mistake with Mankins and I just don't see it happening again.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can return to 2011 form, pay him. big time.

I didn't see much of him in 2013 but he wasn't in a system that fit him and didn't like the team it seemed. he was there for the 16M which is disturbing.

Even his comments at OTAs yesterday still prove to me this guy just wants the money. he said "right now" its all good.

Still, I'm on board for signing him

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see a lot of him last year either but from what I did see, I thought he played like a top 10 maybe even top 5 and that was coming back from an injury and like you said, in a diffrent system that didn't use him to the best of his abilities. Nice blog by the way!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just killing time and this is based on all goes well and contract talks open up in February.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It depends on a few things...how he fits here and the state of the team. If we go out and have an oitstanding year, make it to the Super Bowl...maybe win it, then I could see them extending him. However if the defense isn't vastly improved, we struggle on offense and injuries doom us again, I could honestly see them blowing the whole thing up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    I didn't see a lot of him last year either but from what I did see, I thought he played like a top 10 maybe even top 5 and that was coming back from an injury and like you said, in a diffrent system that didn't use him to the best of his abilities. Nice blog by the way!

[/QUOTE]

He was still a definite top 5 CB last year he just didn't distance himself as the number 1 guy as he did from 09-11.. and thanks!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

[QUOTE]

If Revis plays like the shutdown top 3 CB he is and is healthy all year, do you think the Patriots should try to sign him up for several more years?

2 years/ 32 million?

3 years/ 48 million?

4 years/ 60 million?

I say Yes and would try to get a 3 year deal with him. I think having a CB of his caliber in this pass happy league is worth the money.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt, Pats will figure this out very quickly when they can't believe the crap they had here before and now this!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

2 years/ 32 million?

3 years/ 48 million?

4 years/ 60 million?

[/QUOTE]

No doubt, Pats will figure this out very quickly when they can't believe the crap they had here before and now this!  

[/QUOTE]

Logan Ryan was good last year and the year before that, Dennard, as rookies. Very good, in my book.  I don't think it's crap at all.  I think we can stop pretending that every team as a top 5 CB on their team and the idea that our CBs have seen so bad. McCourty was All Pro in 2010.  Arrington led the NFL in INTs in 2011.  I agree it's been thin or they've lacked experience there, but it's far from "crap".

Browner was signed not only to be a big nickel guy in here on move TEs or larger WRs, but for insurance on Revis.

I think Browner's play will determine a lot about what direction they go with Revis.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The operative words were "IF Revis plays" . . . "If Revis plays like the shutdown top 3 CB he is and is healthy all year, do you think the Patriots should try to sign him up for several more years?"  So he was saying, if during the season Revis is playing like a top 3 CB then we should consider signing him at that time . . . I do not read the original post as asking the Pats to re-sign him right now.  I will say, Revis is saying all the right things and seems to be on-board with this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

1 year rental. No more. The fact is we don't need Revis, we just need a bit of luck in the health department. Revis helps us win a SB where Talib would have if not for bad luck. Sign another top 10 CB next year preferably younger, or watch Dennard or Ryan flourish. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I bet we extend him at some point this season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It depends on a few things...how he fits here and the state of the team. If we go out and have an oitstanding year, make it to the Super Bowl...maybe win it, then I could see them extending him. However if the defense isn't vastly improved, we struggle on offense and injuries doom us again, I could honestly see them blowing the whole thing up.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

if we win the super bowl the only thing left for him is money. He'll go to the highest bidder. I would too. Team friendly or caviar friendly.  Not a hard choice after he has a ring. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I bet we extend him at some point this season.

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can't extend a player's contract less than 1 year after they sign it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

He will love playing for a winner, something he hasn't done in his career.  It will be so infectious for him that he will want to stay.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If Revis plays a full season at a shutdown level I think we'll keep him.  The cap is set to increase a lot in the next few years, Hernandez's money is coming off the books (and maybe by then we'll get at least some credit for it) and the only FA that should command any real money is DMC.  Given the deals that a few guys just signed I don't see Revis commanding anywhere near what was on his last deal given his age.  I think BB makes it work if Revis plays like we all hope he will.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm sure the second year of his contract can be ripped up. That's just in there to make sure that the Pats don't Franchise him. I'd like to see the Pats re-sign him but The market for a CB like him will probably be 15-16 million per year and the  the Pats don't shell out that kind of cash for anyone but Brady. I don't even waste my time dreaming of the Pats signing guys like that long term anymore. Let's hope they prove me wrong.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

If Revis plays a full season at a shutdown level I think we'll keep him.  The cap is set to increase a lot in the next few years, Hernandez's money is coming off the books (and maybe by then we'll get at least some credit for it) and the only FA that should command any real money is DMC.  Given the deals that a few guys just signed I don't see Revis commanding anywhere near what was on his last deal given his age.  I think BB makes it work if Revis plays like we all hope he will.

Last I heard the cap next year was only going up approx $5 million. 

Also, I see some big increases coming next season in the Pats cap.

Mankins from $10.5 mill this year to $11 mill next year.

Mayo from $7,287,500 this year to $10,600,000 next year.

Wilfork from $6,683,333 this year to $8,433,333 next year.

Gronk from $5,400,000 this year to $8,650,000 next year.

Solder from $2,717,429 this year to $7,438,000 next year.

Edelman from $2,750,000 this year to $4,250,000 next year.

Arrington from $3,625,000 this year to 4,625, 000 next year.

Amendola from $4,575,000 this year to 5,700,000 next year.

Vollmer from $3,750,000 this year to $5,937,500 next year.

That's approx $20 mill increase from this year to next year, unless some of these contracts are reworked of course.

Am I missing something here?