Your thoughts on Revis?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Re: Your thoughts on Revis?

They named an island after him. I only saw Revis a couple times last year and hopefully he's 100% recovered from his ACL injury and his speed and quickness haven't been compromised. It's hard to tell watching on TV.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

1 year rental. No more. The fact is we don't need Revis, we just need a bit of luck in the health department. Revis helps us win a SB where Talib would have if not for bad luck. Sign another top 10 CB next year preferably younger, or watch Dennard or Ryan flourish. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

If we don't need him why'd we buy him for 12 million? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

1 year rental. No more. The fact is we don't need Revis, we just need a bit of luck in the health department. Revis helps us win a SB where Talib would have if not for bad luck. Sign another top 10 CB next year preferably younger, or watch Dennard or Ryan flourish. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

He replaced Talib.  Next year we'll get another man corner to replace Revis. If we didn't lose our 3 best players on defense last year we probably go further then we did. Losing Gronk and Hern the base of our 2 TE offense didn't help either. Very smart move to get Revis for 1 year of his prime, and it will be smart when we let him walk hext season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

He replaced Talib.  Next year we'll get another man corner to replace Revis. If we didn't lose our 3 best players on defense last year we probably go further then we did. Losing Gronk and Hern the base of our 2 TE offense didn't help either. Very smart move to get Revis for 1 year of his prime, and it will be smart when we let him walk hext season.

That's the thing TC, I checked the 2015 UFA list for CB and it sucks. Bad. The best name is Chris Harris, which isn't impressive. Unless Ryan and Dennard make HUGE strides then I think keeping Revis would be nice. For Ryan and Dennard to play with Revis is huge for their development I think. Just playing beside an All-Pro must run off

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So we do need him--this year at least.  I don't think it's a done deal that he leaves next year. I doubt they pay him 20 million, but I think there's a possibility they negotiate something with him if both sides are pleased with each other. As Talib showed, talent at corner makes a difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Last I heard the cap next year was only going up approx $5 million. 

Have you seen anything more recent than this? http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10532044/the-nfl-salary-cap-break-150-million-2016

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'm guessing that if the Revis and Pats marriage works both sides will want to extend.  Revis has a rep as a mercenary-for-hire, sure, but being paid very good money while having a chance at playoffs yearly (and stability) have to come into play at some point.     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

franchise him? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Pay an All Pro defensive tackle what they're worth and the need for an over priced All Pro corner is unnecessary.  

Revis and the Patriots have the perfect give and take relationship, and I could see the Pats being happy paying Revis yearly for his services a la Deion Sanders.  Either way the defense this year will be sick, health provided.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

He's smarter than Gronk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

He hasn't played one down for the Patriots and they should re-sign him already?

Well he is one of the best CB's in the league

and, at this juncture, what has he done for this team exactly?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

He hasn't played one down for the Patriots and they should re-sign him already?

[object HTMLDivElement]

The operative words were "IF Revis plays" . . . "If Revis plays like the shutdown top 3 CB he is and is healthy all year, do you think the Patriots should try to sign him up for several more years?"  So he was saying, if during the season Revis is playing like a top 3 CB then we should consider signing him at that time . . . I do not read the original post as asking the Pats to re-sign him right now.  I will say, Revis is saying all the right things and seems to be on-board with this team.

I understand what you're saying, but instead of speculating about what he will do - shouldn't the Patriots resign him if he demonstrates his value on the field?  My point is, we're not even there yet...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

and, at this juncture, what has he done for this team exactly?

Say we signed Revis to a 4yr 56mil deal instead of this deal, would you be upset then? Cuz it seems like you only want him for a year.. I'd be ecstatic if they got him for 3-4 years in March.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

If Revis plays a full season at a shutdown level I think we'll keep him.  The cap is set to increase a lot in the next few years, Hernandez's money is coming off the books (and maybe by then we'll get at least some credit for it) and the only FA that should command any real money is DMC.  Given the deals that a few guys just signed I don't see Revis commanding anywhere near what was on his last deal given his age.  I think BB makes it work if Revis plays like we all hope he will.

I agree. He's better than Talib, and has a healthier history in regards to injuries. Unless the money is absolutely astronomical, I think he comes back depending on his level of play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

That's the thing TC, I checked the 2015 UFA list for CB and it sucks. Bad. The best name is Chris Harris, which isn't impressive. Unless Ryan and Dennard make HUGE strides then I think keeping Revis would be nice. For Ryan and Dennard to play with Revis is huge for their development I think. Just playing beside an All-Pro must run off

[object HTMLDivElement]

I can't believe there will no good FA corners next year. There is every year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So we do need him--this year at least.  I don't think it's a done deal that he leaves next year. I doubt they pay him 20 million, but I think there's a possibility they negotiate something with him if both sides are pleased with each other. As Talib showed, talent at corner makes a difference.

[object HTMLDivElement]

This thread was in reference to re-signing him next year, and I think it is is a done deal unless he takes less then 10 mill per...which he will not imo. And BB will not pay a 30 year old corner 10 mill per, nor should he.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

franchise him? 

They can't next year .  .  . they have a contract which requires the Pats to pay Revis $20 million next year if they exercise their option to keep him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

This thread was in reference to re-signing him next year, and I think it is is a done deal unless he takes less then 10 mill per...which he will not imo. And BB will not pay a 30 year old corner 10 mill per, nor should he.

We'll see.  He's paying a 29 year old corner 12 million.  If Revis plays well, I think there's a real possibility they try to work something out.  Right now, the top corners in the league are averaging around $10 million per year, so that's probably the area they'd be working around, and of course the guaranteed portion would be important too.

Talent does make a difference.  That should be obvious to anyone who watches the Pats now and sees the difference in secondary effectiveness with Talib in or out and the difference in overall offensive effectiveness with Gronk in or out. I know everyone loves to praise winning as a team, but individual abilities do make a difference.  There's a balance you need to strike between getting solid quality across the whole roster and getting enough superior talent in enough key positions.  BB understands that, which is why he quickly got Revis when Talib left, despite the $12 million price tag. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I believe if we don't have an effective pass rush it won't matter who is in the secondary. Even revis can only cover for so long each play. That said IMO BB is going back to smash mouth and physical ball on both sides of the line. On paper right now I really like our chances this year. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I can't believe there will no good FA corners next year. There is every year.

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=CB&Year=2015" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=CB&Year=2015

Cromartie is, but he's old. Tillman, old. Tramon Williams, never healthy. Chris Harris, eh decent. The rest are no better than Dennard or Ryan. There aren't any DRC, Revis, Talib etc. out there

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

The current, bloated 2nd year they added on is clearly only a retainer of sorts on paper but he won't be here unless it's under BB's terms. I don't care who you are.

One step at a time is the way I see it.  Make sure he fits, then go from there after the season ends.  He'll either want to be here for the right reasons or he won't.

He won't go anywhere better than here, though, you can bank on that and I think that is the purpose of his 1 year deal here from BB's point of view.  Revis has all but gushed over how things run in Foborough and he'll probably think he's in Disneyworld as it goes on.  Having Ty Law in your ear certainly doesn't hurt either.  Ty regrets penny pinching his way out the door.  Revis's first half of his career has been marred by worrying about a contract every year, and it's actually tarnished his reputation.

IMO, he has a lot to prove to show he's that guy he used to be way back in 2009.

Ok, Ive sat back and watch you get exposed for the better part of the offseason without piling on. I have to ask though, where in the h3ll do you get your wild accusations. I am good friends with Ray, Ty's cousin so just remember this before you reply. How/Why do you say stupid Chit like this?  Let me guess, it was never said, But...you just Know it right? Never mind its not even relevant to the discussion. Ty Law campaigned for him to join the pats. Did he also tell him to NOT be Greedy? Does not sound like he listened...lol

He got to earn his 3rd SB ring while zipping around in a caddy kart. He earned good money with the Jets and the Chiefs. The Pats STILL have not won any Titles since his last year here Soooo, why would he regret anything? BB payed him ALL his money So it worked, no?

His only regret that I know of is joining the Jets. Outside of that, you have no Info so Please, Please stop shooting off from the hip with these asinine statements that have no merit just to support your agenda. Ok, Rant over. Carry on with your trolling....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Pay an All Pro defensive tackle what they're worth and the need for an over priced All Pro corner is unnecessary.  

Revis and the Patriots have the perfect give and take relationship, and I could see the Pats being happy paying Revis yearly for his services a la Deion Sanders.  Either way the defense this year will be sick, health provided.

You mean like we have been doing with Vince since 2004, also Ty Laws last year? Obviously you DO need more or Vince's presence would have gotten us that elusive ring by now, no?  What about when we had Seymour AND Wilfork? Up until 2008 I recall. That is 4 years with not one but TWO All Pro Tackles and we did not win anything.

Obviously, BB disagrees with you. For someone you guys sweat so much, you sure do have differing philosophies...  Kind of like every year you guys think BB is gonna go smash mouth only to see Brady' s  arm hanging by a string by seasons end....LMAO!    Keep up the good fight Wozzy..You and T.C. are an inspiration to us all.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I recall Ty Law just weeks ago, after his Pat HOF was announced, that he didn't "regret" how things went down to him leaving NE, but he said he wished he found a way to stay here longer. so pretty much, he regretted going to Gang Crap.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts