Your Thoughts on the Cap

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Your Thoughts on the Cap

According to http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

the Pats have $12.7 mil cap space as I type.  I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on the following:

• How much will they need to sign the rooks
    • How much more space will they free up by cuts and reworks
    • Who are the prime suspects for cuts
    • Who are the prime suspects for reworks
    • Chances they get relief from the Hernandez dead money
    • Who will they pursue in free agency
    • Any other thoughts on the cap and how the Pats will manage it this year

I recognize that much of this has been discussed in other threads.  What I thought would be helpful is a what I hope will be an overall look at the Pats cap management this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Your Thoughts on the Cap

Some hard questions.

• Rookie cap. Their rookie cap will vary depending on the number and position of their draft picks.  I assume they'll use all or most of that cap--that's pretty much how it works now.  From everything I've read, I think they'll use about $5 to $6 million of their cap on rookies, but that's a rough estimate.
    • Space freed up.  No idea. I could guess, but it would be a complete guess.  I think it's better to wait and see what happens.  One thing to keep in mind is that the Pats don't have a lot of high-priced players on their roster, so they don't have too many obvious suspects for cuts and reworks.  
    • Prime suspects for cuts.  Gregory is already gone and Sopoaga I suspect will be gone.  After that, I'd say A. Wilson, maybe Brandon Bolden, maybe Connolly, maybe Bequette, maybe Amendola, maybe Kelly, maybe even Wilfork if they can't restructure. Obviously a lot of the bottom of the roster will turn over. 
    • Prime suspects for reworks.  Wilfork, maybe Mankins, maybe Connolly, maybe Amendola, maybe Kelly.  Gostkowski and McCourty both could get extensions that would rework their cap hits.
    • Relief for Hernandez.  Slim, I think, for anything they've actually paid him.  Better for amounts that they haven't paid him, but only if the courts rule they don't have to pay him. I suspect anything they actually paid or will pay Hernandez will be accounted for against the cap. 
    • Free agency.  No idea. I don't expect them to go hog wild, though.  They never do.  They have a dozen free agents of their own (Talib, Edelman, Hoomanawanui, Fletcher, Blount, Wendell, Aiken, Spikes, Svitek, Collie, Carter, and Mulligan).  Obviously, some of those were key players so they'll need to be re-signed or replaced, either with veteran free agents or through the draft and rookie free agency. 
    • Other thoughts. I think they have needs for the following quality players: On offense: 1 interior lineman, 1 TE, 1 WR; on defense: one or two DTs (depends a bit on what they do with Wilfork and Kelly); 1 corner; 1 safety.  They may also need a RB to be the Blount/Bolden guy and another LB.  Overall, that's not a huge number of needs, but I would like to see some real quality in at least in two or three of those positions, and veteran quality will be costly. I don't expect them to be able to fill all those holes with top quality veterans, so getting good quality in the draft and rookie free agency will be important.  It's impossible to fill every position with a great player, so second-tier veteran free agents (guys like Hoomanawanui) are also going to be important.  Let's just hope they don't settle for all second-tier guys. I'd really like to see a few (two or three) very good (i.e., Talib quality) veterans brought in or re-signed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

According to http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

the Pats have $12.7 mil cap space as I type.  I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on the following:

• How much will they need to sign the rooks

You usually need about $5mil for rook deals

• How much more space will they free up by cuts and reworks

imo they will free up ~$10mil additional space between Soap, Wilfork, and a number of other restructures and extensions

• Who are the prime suspects for cuts

Soap, Wilfork (if can't extend/restructure), A. Wilson, Kelly, Connolly, Bequette

• Who are the prime suspects for reworks

Wilfork, Mankins, Connolly, Kelly, Ghost, McCourty

• Chances they get relief from the Hernandez dead money

50/50 depends if he gets charged with the dbl murder or not. But, it won't come before FA period so this might help only next year not this year

• Who will they pursue in free agency

Author Jones, Whitner, DRC, Edelman, Sanders, Bryant, Talib..... they will pursue a lot but I think they only come out with 3-4 players who will be more than JAGs this year

• Any other thoughts on the cap and how the Pats will manage it this year

They will manage it like they do every year looking for the deals instead of the players. The one thing that will hurt them is the cap going up. It seems like a good thing but that means mid-high tier prices went up around the league and I don't think they will pay the extra for those players instead taking on a couple extra low tier and seeing which washes out in camp

I recognize that much of this has been discussed in other threads.  What I thought would be helpful is a what I hope will be an overall look at the Pats cap management this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks pro and PE.  Interesting stuff.  And, yes, I posed some challenging questions for a reason. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some hard questions.

• Rookie cap. Their rookie cap will vary depending on the number and position of their draft picks.  I assume they'll use all or most of that cap--that's pretty much how it works now.  From everything I've read, I think they'll use about $5 to $6 million of their cap on rookies, but that's a rough estimate.
    • Space freed up.  No idea. I could guess, but it would be a complete guess.  I think it's better to wait and see what happens.  One thing to keep in mind is that the Pats don't have a lot of high-priced players on their roster, so they don't have too many obvious suspects for cuts and reworks.  
    • Prime suspects for cuts.  Gregory is already gone and Sopoaga I suspect will be gone.  After that, I'd say A. Wilson, maybe Brandon Bolden, maybe Connolly, maybe Bequette, maybe Amendola, maybe Kelly, maybe even Wilfork if they can't restructure. Obviously a lot of the bottom of the roster will turn over. 
    • Prime suspects for reworks.  Wilfork, maybe Mankins, maybe Connolly, maybe Amendola, maybe Kelly.  Gostkowski and McCourty both could get extensions that would rework their cap hits.
    • Relief for Hernandez.  Slim, I think, for anything they've actually paid him.  Better for amounts that they haven't paid him, but only if the courts rule they don't have to pay him. I suspect anything they actually paid or will pay Hernandez will be accounted for against the cap. 
    • Free agency.  No idea. I don't expect them to go hog wild, though.  They never do.  They have a dozen free agents of their own (Talib, Edelman, Hoomanawanui, Fletcher, Blount, Wendell, Aiken, Spikes, Svitek, Collie, Carter, and Mulligan).  Obviously, some of those were key players so they'll need to be re-signed or replaced, either with veteran free agents or through the draft and rookie free agency. 
    • Other thoughts. I think they have needs for the following quality players: On offense: 1 interior lineman, 1 TE, 1 WR; on defense: one or two DTs (depends a bit on what they do with Wilfork and Kelly); 1 corner; 1 safety.  They may also need a RB to be the Blount/Bolden guy and another LB.  Overall, that's not a huge number of needs, but I would like to see some real quality in at least in two or three of those positions, and veteran quality will be costly. I don't expect them to be able to fill all those holes with top quality veterans, so getting good quality in the draft and rookie free agency will be important.  It's impossible to fill every position with a great player, so second-tier veteran free agents (guys like Hoomanawanui) are also going to be important.  Let's just hope they don't settle for all second-tier guys. I'd really like to see a few (two or three) very good (i.e., Talib quality) veterans brought in or re-signed.

[/QUOTE]

Which ones were the "hard questions"? 

As you said, "over all not many needs" for a team coming off its 3rd straight afc championship appearance and 5 key injuries coming back. So which of the above decisions are the kind that could turn a franchise in the right or wrong direction? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

True, the point of my thread was to challenge the forum to think a little more holistically about team building in the context of cap management.  To be candid, one can isolate any one aspect of the process and draw conclusions. However, approaching the process in totality is another matter.  No one question is hard.  Answering all while building a winning team may very well be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the rookie deals look to be in the $4M-$4.5M range, and less if they trade back.

I agree Soap and AWilson look like they are gone. How can Bequette not be? I hope they move on from Wendell, but today I am not so sure.

I keep hearing good things regarding VW's recovery. I dont think the Pats cut him based on salary issue. They will try to extend, but I am not sure they will find common ground. Would not surprise me if VW is back this year on his original contract, and is playing for another contract.

I think Mankins is going to be hard to extend this year, ditto DMC. I think Kelly and Connolly want to play here, and are willing to discuss.

I think any relief on Herns deal is a long shot.

I dont see the Pats signing any player in the first week of free agency, other than perhaps Wendell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think that BB has done a great job of building young depth on this team, so we have the luxury of using this FA period to acquire 2-3 higher-end players.  I'm hoping for J. Allen, Whitener, A. Jones type players.  Still not sure what to make of Talib.  Hope they re-sign him, but I'm not so sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

True, the point of my thread was to challenge the forum to think a little more holistically about team building in the context of cap management.  To be candid, one can isolate any one aspect of the process and draw conclusions. However, approaching the process in totality is another matter.  No one question is hard.  Answering all while building a winning team may very well be.

And I appreciate the exercise. I was asking pro to prioritize his sense of needs. He listed a few questions he deemed as hard or difficult for this team moving forward. I viewed most as relatively easy solutions.  That is not to say I have any inclination as to what Bill Belichick will end up doing, but I dont see a lot of tough decisions.

We have almost 13 million in room. We have almost 20 with some cuts that appear to be guaranteed...soap and Connoly(-13 rating as a guard for the 2013 season). We have either 8 in savings if Wilforks career is over or probably 5 if it is not(extension). So, without getting into a prediction thread on who we will draft or what FA's we will go after and sticking to your premise about the cap, I would say we are looking at 22 to 25 million in cap room. Imo that leaves little in the way of tough decisions and provides a more then ample amount of room for a team coming off its 3rd straight afc championship game with 27 million on injured reserve. Some holes to fill due to injury or free agency are DT, TE, C, CB, and competition for a strong safety.

Cant wait to see what happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that BB has done a great job of building young depth on this team, so we have the luxury of using this FA period to acquire 2-3 higher-end players.  I'm hoping for J. Allen, Whitener, A. Jones type players.  Still not sure what to make of Talib.  Hope they re-sign him, but I'm not so sure.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure where I see the depth honestly:

DT - needs a major upgrade. Jones, Vellano, Siliga just didn't get it done and were washed out once teams got film on them. If Vince doesn't come back we could be in real trouble up the interior

DE - Lacked so much depth both Nink and Jones played over 95% of the snaps

LB - Past the 3 starters who is behind them? If Spikes is gone and Fletcher is a FA the next two behind them played a combined .2% of snaps last year

CB - Right now you have Arrington, Dennard, and Ryan, who is behind them?

FS - we have McCourty, who spells him? and SS with Gregory cut we have Harmon and the Wilson's. Do you really trust the Wilson's right now?

For the D we are a hollow shell with no depth at pretty much every position. DT is our current deepest depth position and that was considered one of the weakest positions on the team during the 2013 season

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo. We can address all these issues in a vacuum here on this board but the 32 NFL are dealing with many fluid issues containing many variable and layers. It just isn't as easy as we think it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not sure where I see the depth honestly:

DT - needs a major upgrade. Jones, Vellano, Siliga just didn't get it done and were washed out once teams got film on them. If Vince doesn't come back we could be in real trouble up the interior

DE - Lacked so much depth both Nink and Jones played over 95% of the snaps

LB - Past the 3 starters who is behind them? If Spikes is gone and Fletcher is a FA the next two behind them played a combined .2% of snaps last year

CB - Right now you have Arrington, Dennard, and Ryan, who is behind them?

FS - we have McCourty, who spells him? and SS with Gregory cut we have Harmon and the Wilson's. Do you really trust the Wilson's right now?

For the D we are a hollow shell with no depth at pretty much every position. DT is our current deepest depth position and that was considered one of the weakest positions on the team during the 2013 season

[/QUOTE]

DT is the weakest position.  Hoping one or both of Wilfork or Kelley can heal up, rework their contract, and come back as an effective starter.  No guarantees there.  Siliga and C. Jones are good depth guys.  Armstead would be  a bonus.  I'd like to see some money spent on a higher-end FA here (Arthur Jones?) and a high draft pick used here as well.

DE we are good at starters with Chandler and Nink, and I think Buchannon is a quality depth player as well.  Again, I'd like to see Jared Allen signed if he doesn't want too much, and a mid-round pick used here as well.

LB we are in pretty good shape as long as Mayo returns healthy.  Collins and Mayo on the outside with Hightower at MLB is pretty strong.  Fletcher will probably be back cheap, and Beaharnis is there too for depth.  Maybe a cheaper vet in FA if the right guy is there, and I think a developmental guy or 2 can be found on day 3 of the draft.

S is the other obvious weakness, but I like McCourty and I also like Harmon.  Probably one of Ebner or T. Wilson will stick as a ST ace/depth Safety.  Definitely need to find a quality vet in FA and probably draft a rookie at some point too.

CB is tricky without knowing Talib's status.  If he is resigned, we are fine.  Talib and Ryan/Dennard as outside starters is pretty strong, and I still think Arrington can get it done in the slot, even though everyone else on this board hates him.  Don't forget justin Green, too.  Good developmental kid who could stick as a #5 CB.  If Talib leaves, then we need to sign a vet to replace him ( DRC???)

offense is deep.  I won't bother to break it all out, but remember that we have some promising guys on futures deals like Mark Harrison, TJ Moe, Braxton Cave (I wouldn't be surprised if they let Wendall walk because of this guy if Wendell wants too much).  I'm not saying that all these guys are going to make the team or even be any good, but if even 1 or 2 do then that is significant.  I also think that most of our 2nd year guys should be able to make significant strides going into next season, and that would really help our WR corp.  TE is the one spot where we obviously need immediate help (Finley?) and a early draft pick.  All in all, I think our roster is in pretty good shape.  Lots of youth.  Need to develop the guys we have, and add some key pieces to get us over the hump.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Ways to free up more cap space....

Release Isaac Sopoaga – net cap savings of $2.08 million.

Release Dan Connolly – net cap savings of $2.58 million

Extend Dan Connolly through the 2015 season converting $2 million of his $3 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $1 million

Reduce Wilfork’s salary from $7.5 million to $4 million while converting $3.5million of his salary into a NTLBE incentive – cap savings of $3.5 million

Release Wilfork – net cap savings of $7.58 million

Extend Wilfork through the 2016 season – converting $6 million of his $7.5 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $4 million

Convert $4.5 million of Mankins’s $6.5 million salary into a signing bonus – cap savings of $3 million while pushing out $1.5 million of signing bonus proration to the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Extend Gostkowski’s contract by 4 years while giving him a $5 million signing bonus and lowering his salary from $2.9 million to $900,000 – cap savings – $1,000,000

Extend McCourty’s contract by 4 years while giving him a $10 million signing bonus while lowering his 2014 salary from $3.92 million to $1 million – cap savings – $1,000,000

Release Tommie Kelly – net cap savings of $1,736,250

Release Adrian Wilson – net cap savings of $746,666

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks, TFB12.  Any thoughts on who they should pursue in free agency now that you've freed up some serious coin?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

ATJ..  my thoughts, to put it bluntly, is to hope the team manages it to give us fans a competitive team.  The cap affects every NFL team.

What we most hate about it is the impact it has on the team's decisions to either keep or let go players who are fan favorites.  Additionally, it is a frustration to the fans in that the Pats may not try and pursue a player, who can add significantly to the team, because of the impact to the cap and the team's ability to keep other players on the roster.  When all is said and done, we all have to be very pleased with how the Pats have managed to stay so competitive all these years with the cap limits considering how so many other NFL teams are up and down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Bill, thanks for your thoughts.  As I indicated earlier, in my opinion, ain't none of this easy and I was interested in how folks on here would approach the challenge of team building, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

DT is the weakest position.  Hoping one or both of Wilfork or Kelley can heal up, rework their contract, and come back as an effective starter.  No guarantees there.  Siliga and C. Jones are good depth guys.  Armstead would be  a bonus.  I'd like to see some money spent on a higher-end FA here (Arthur Jones?) and a high draft pick used here as well.

DE we are good at starters with Chandler and Nink, and I think Buchannon is a quality depth player as well.  Again, I'd like to see Jared Allen signed if he doesn't want too much, and a mid-round pick used here as well.

LB we are in pretty good shape as long as Mayo returns healthy.  Collins and Mayo on the outside with Hightower at MLB is pretty strong.  Fletcher will probably be back cheap, and Beaharnis is there too for depth.  Maybe a cheaper vet in FA if the right guy is there, and I think a developmental guy or 2 can be found on day 3 of the draft.

S is the other obvious weakness, but I like McCourty and I also like Harmon.  Probably one of Ebner or T. Wilson will stick as a ST ace/depth Safety.  Definitely need to find a quality vet in FA and probably draft a rookie at some point too.

CB is tricky without knowing Talib's status.  If he is resigned, we are fine.  Talib and Ryan/Dennard as outside starters is pretty strong, and I still think Arrington can get it done in the slot, even though everyone else on this board hates him.  Don't forget justin Green, too.  Good developmental kid who could stick as a #5 CB.  If Talib leaves, then we need to sign a vet to replace him ( DRC???)

offense is deep.  I won't bother to break it all out, but remember that we have some promising guys on futures deals like Mark Harrison, TJ Moe, Braxton Cave (I wouldn't be surprised if they let Wendall walk because of this guy if Wendell wants too much).  I'm not saying that all these guys are going to make the team or even be any good, but if even 1 or 2 do then that is significant.  I also think that most of our 2nd year guys should be able to make significant strides going into next season, and that would really help our WR corp.  TE is the one spot where we obviously need immediate help (Finley?) and a early draft pick.  All in all, I think our roster is in pretty good shape.  Lots of youth.  Need to develop the guys we have, and add some key pieces to get us over the hump.

[/QUOTE]

On D though you keep on mentioning starters but they aren't depth so that's what my comment was towards. Lets face it we have no depth on the D side of the ball. BB lost fiath in Buchanan and at LB Beaharnis played less than 0.1% of snaps. I'm not even sure you can call him depth. Again, they need a lot of pieces for depth. They need at least 1 LB, 1-2 DEs (depending on Buchanan), 1-2 quality DT's (on top of the 3 who spot started this year fighting for a spot or two), 1 more CB and I'd say at least 2-3 more Ss (I'm not counting the Wilson's so thinking Harmon and McCourty are our only Ss right now). That's a lot of bodies right there.

Now I agree that O has a bit more depth but here's the problem:

RB we need a 3rd down scat back to bu Vereen for when he gets injured.

WR depth isn't an issue but quality starters really is. Plenty of #3/4 guys right now though I'd agree

OL the T positions look good if they can come back healthy and could use another swing G but C has zero right now.

TE it's basically Gronk who is oft injured and Mulligan....... yeah zero depth there right now

The O needs a handful of depth pieces too and a couple of starters also. All in all I'd say we'd need at least a dozen depth pieces and an upgrade to a half a dozen starters or so right off the bat. That's a quarter of the roster which needs depth or starters added which is asking a lot right now. So that's where I was coming from wondering why you thought we had depth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

ATJ... if only we had the same problems managing our millions!!!!  (-;

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

ATJ don't you just hate the extra time between action? Makes everyone have to add up their caps to see where they can improve on the team via financial moves. To much like business administration for me, I'm just an old Green Mountain Boy, give a ball and let them play! Sc rew all the BS about money. I used to like the offseason, but lately it's all about do you have an extra nickel too spend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I would like to see Wilson, Soap and Wilfork cut.  Bring Wilfork back if he is willing to take an insentative laden deal.  Go after Byrd and A. Jones.  These two will make a difference.  Talib and Edelman will be getting big paychecks from someone but not the Patriots.  Slip Connely to center and get some new blood on the OL.  Bring in Chandler at TE.  These changes will make a big difference on both sides of the ball.  I would keep Kelly if he is healthy.  He looked good when he was in there and his cap his is not terrible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks, TFB12.  Any thoughts on who they should pursue in free agency now that you've freed up some serious coin?

[/QUOTE]

Jimmy Graham, Revis, Talib, Vontae Davis, Edelman and Decker or Edelman and Nicks, T.J. Ward, Arthur Jones, Linval Joseph, take your pick at DL and OL.

Get us 3 or 4 (LOL) of these guys and I am happy.  One must be a WR though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ATJ... if only we had the same problems managing our millions!!!!  (-;

[/QUOTE]

<In a superior voice speaking down from on high> I have a professional managing my wealth, sir.  I have no idea what you're talking about. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ATJ don't you just hate the extra time between action? Makes everyone have to add up their caps to see where they can improve on the team via financial moves. To much like business administration for me, I'm just an old Green Mountain Boy, give a ball and let them play! Sc rew all the BS about money. I used to like the offseason, but lately it's all about do you have an extra nickel too spend.

[/QUOTE]

Can't we just line up and hike the *&$%# football?????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jimmy Graham, Revis, Talib, Vontae Davis, Edelman and Decker or Edelman and Nicks, T.J. Ward, Arthur Jones, Linval Joseph, take your pick at DL and OL.

Get us 3 or 4 (LOL) of these guys and I am happy.  One must be a WR though.

[/QUOTE]

You think Graham or Revis could be had for a price that will fit under the cap and still sign two or three more?  You, sir, are a genius!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to msteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to see Wilson, Soap and Wilfork cut.  Bring Wilfork back if he is willing to take an insentative laden deal.  Go after Byrd and A. Jones.  These two will make a difference.  Talib and Edelman will be getting big paychecks from someone but not the Patriots.  Slip Connely to center and get some new blood on the OL.  Bring in Chandler at TE.  These changes will make a big difference on both sides of the ball.  I would keep Kelly if he is healthy.  He looked good when he was in there and his cap his is not terrible.

[/QUOTE]

You know, I kind of like the idea of moving Connolly to the C position. If I recall correctly he handled that job pretty well.