Your Updated Ideal Situation (FAs and Draft)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Your Updated Ideal Situation (FAs and Draft)

In response to your moves.

Agree on Abraham for sure

1. 2nd rd 'value' not definitely a pick, that is a stretch, but a 3rd and a 4th or a 3rd, 5th and 6th would be fine with me

2. Do we have 7 WR's or cut Jenkins or Jones?

3. We better get more than a 6th if we trade a high 2nd into the 3rd

4. Trade back into the 4th from where? We'd have one 3rd at this point. Future picks?

5. Ok, fine with this at the end of round 2, another CB is a good move

6. I have been on Alonso all year, so I'm good with him in rd 3

7. Where did the 4th come from?

8. Ok sure

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I'm not so sure Mallet is going anywhere. I dont see nay team offering a second round pick for him and its nice to ave a decent back-uo QB that now knows our system. 

My top choice with #29 is Bjoern Werner and if he is not their I would love Hopkins.

Would also love Abraham in New England

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Sanders tweeted that revenge will be well calculated, or something like that. So the Steelers may say "good luck in NE"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Mallett to Tampa Bay, with their 7th rd pick for their 3rd, our 4th and their 6th

Trade down into the 37-50 range, pick up a high 4th

Rd 2 - DE/DT Margus Hunt (or Datone Jones or Kawann short)

Trade our 3rd rd pick from TB, our own 4th and own 7th up into the middle of rd 2

Rd 2 - OG Larry Warford (or LB Sio Moore if he is gone)

Rd 2 - LB Sio Moore (or if already taken take the risk/reward move on Tyrann Mathieu)

Rd 3 - best available CB, or if taken at end of rd 2 pick Travis Frederick, Barrett Jones, best available OG prospect, if both positions filled take Kiko Alonso or another cover LB)

Rd 6 - QB Collin Klein

Klein replaces Mallett as developmental QB, cover LB who plays all 3 positions behind the 3 young starters is a great move, an OG to challenge Cannon or add depth is vital and a pass-rusher to groom for the future, compete w/ Deaderick and Armstead now, insurance in case Kelly is a best and finally more CB depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

So, the more time that goes by with Sanders, the more it appears he is coming here.

With that in mind, what other moves do you look for an if you want feel free to chime in with the moves you want in the draft?

Here are mine just for fun:

FAs: John Abraham - He's really the last move I'd like to see and if BB procures his services, it's hands down his best FA year ever.  I don't think he needs to do any more other than a CB, but he could also go higher in the draft to fill that need as well. IJacob Lacey is my CB choice because he's dirt cheap (working out for Raiders), not old and has plenty of experience in nickel and dime.

Draft:

1. Trade Ryan Mallett for no worse than a 2nd rd pick.

2. Pick DeAndre Hopkins at #29 from Clemson.

3. Trade one of your 2s, the higher one in the Mallett deal, back into the 3rd rd, but also pick up a late rder like a 6th.

4. Trade back into the 4th so you can get your 4th back in the Talib deal.

5. Target a CB in Rd 2. Leverage in case Talib walks after 2013.

6. Target a coverage LB in Rd 3. Kiko Alonso is my top choice here. Leverage with Spikes.

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

8. Trade out with one of your picks in rd 6 for a 5th in 2013 and the two in Rd 7 for a 6th in next year's draft.

+1.  I looked at the depth chart concerning the offensive line. If they move Cannon to gaurd they could use your fourth to get another big interior D lineman.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Sign Abraham or move on.

Sign one of the remaining f/a veteran CB's for stability at the vet minimum

Trade out of #29 and see if you can pick up an extra 2nd and a 4th

Use the 2nd round pick on the best DT available.

Use the other 2nd rd pick on a WR prospect with size.

Use our 3rd round pick to draft a future CB(Honey badger or Darius Slay)

Use the 4th we picked up to draft a DE/OLB prospect

Use the 2 7th rd picks on sleepers  who may have fallen either for the 0-line or just grab another Cb and WR to play special teams and develop on practice squad.

Hire a Defensive Backs Coach

Championship!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

So, the more time that goes by with Sanders, the more it appears he is coming here.

With that in mind, what other moves do you look for an if you want feel free to chime in with the moves you want in the draft?

FAs: John Abraham - He's really the last move I'd like to see and if BB procures his services, it's hands down his best FA year ever.  I don't think he needs to do any more other than a CB, but he could also go higher in the draft to fill that need as well. IJacob Lacey is my CB choice because he's dirt cheap (working out for Raiders), not old and has plenty of experience in nickel and dime.

Draft:

3. Trade one of your 2s, the higher one in the Mallett deal, back into the 3rd rd, but also pick up a late rder like a 6th.

6. Target a coverage LB in Rd 3. Kiko Alonso is my top choice here. Leverage with Spikes.

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

8. Trade out with one of your picks in rd 6 for a 5th in 2013 and the two in Rd 7 for a 6th in next year's draft.

I wouldn't say time has anything to do with Pitt not wanting to sign sanders. In fact, if it was a foregone conclusion, wouldn't they just say take him? I think they are seriously studying this.

mallett won't yield a 2...I wish you are right here and me wrong, but can't see it . I would be fine with rameakap suggestion of a 3, 5 and 6. Especially if we give up the 3 for sanders. 

If sanders is onboard, I don't see the pats spending a 1 on Hopkins. I wouldn't mind it, but then there is only so much room, and, we need some more defensive pieces first I believe especially if we have a good 1-2 WR. I would live a rotation of Hopkins, amendola, sanders and jones/Edelman, but think it is unrealistic...again, hope I am wrong.

if by some chance we trade mallet for a 2, I would keep both of them because all the value is in round 2 and 3.good chance to get an impact cb, DT, WR in round 2 this year...maybe then we use 1 on DT/de...

personally, I would pass on Abraham if the pats got a 2 for mallett....because then I am using 29 on carradine, jones or another de...or if not there, trading 29 into round 2-3 to get okafor or hunt.

absolutely need a cb in the draft...again, if we have 2, 2's, I am using one on Wilson from uconn or possibly Logan Ryan from Rutgers... 

i will make some assumptions then offer up my choices...

assumptions...

1. We get sanders

2. We trade mallett for a 3, 5

3. We don't sign Abraham 

choices..,

1. 1st pick, carradine, or if not there or another pass rusher not there, trade this into round 2...I will assume I get carradine

2. 2nd pick...logan Ryan 

3. 3rd pick...quinton patten...use the third to grab another WR..or da'rick Rogers..

4. 5th pick...nick kasa TE...dump fells recoup some cash..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Draft:

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

I wouldn't say time has anything to do with Pitt not wanting to sign sanders. In fact, if it was a foregone conclusion, wouldn't they just say take him? I think they are seriously studying this.

mallett won't yield a 2...I wish you are right here and me wrong, but can't see it . I would be fine with rameakap suggestion of a 3, 5 and 6. Especially if we give up the 3 for sanders. 

If sanders is onboard, I don't see the pats spending a 1 on Hopkins. I wouldn't mind it, but then there is only so much room, and, we need some more defensive pieces first I believe especially if we have a good 1-2 WR. I would live a rotation of Hopkins, amendola, sanders and jones/Edelman, but think it is unrealistic...again, hope I am wrong.

if by some chance we trade mallet for a 2, I would keep both of them because all the value is in round 2 and 3.good chance to get an impact cb, DT, WR in round 2 this year...maybe then we use 1 on DT/de...

personally, I would pass on Abraham if the pats got a 2 for mallett....because then I am using 29 on carradine, jones or another de...or if not there, trading 29 into round 2-3 to get okafor or hunt.

absolutely need a cb in the draft...again, if we have 2, 2's, I am using one on Wilson from uconn or possibly Logan Ryan from Rutgers... 

assumptions...

1. We get sanders

3. We don't sign Abraham 

choices..,

1. 1st pick, carradine, or if not there or another pass rusher not there, trade this into round 2...I will assume I get carradine

2. 2nd pick...logan Ryan 

3. 3rd pick...quinton patten...use the third to grab another WR..or da'rick Rogers..

I like your thinking Lifer. I also dont think the pats are in play for a WR in rd 1 if we get Sanders. People act like we are gonna carry 8 WRs and 5 TE's.  WR corp is pretty set if Sanders comes.

I was also gonna include Wilson from UCONN on my list, but Im kind of scared of the Pats taking a Uconn guy after Darius Butler. All I heard was how athletic and fast he was but outside of flashes his rookie year I never saw it. I think we have to be careful evaluting players from Schools like that who mostly play in east coast because all the fast florida guys play down south in sec

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Good point, but I think Wilson is different. I prefer Logan Ryan more, and there are a slew of good  fb's available in round 2 inc.luding Taylor so really there is much to choose from. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Draft:

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

assumptions...

1. We get sanders

3. We don't sign Abraham 

choices..,

2. 2nd pick...logan Ryan 

What does waiting until Sunday gain Pitt?  Nothing, really, because they can't change the current price of 2.5 million. The whole point if BB not signing Sanders to an offer sheet earlier was to push it out as long as possible so when Pitt resigned a guy or signed anyone in free agency, they couldn't budget from that off of their current decisions.

Sure, it's only 1.2 million in difference, but Pitt could get a quality WR, say in Rd 1 or 2 in this draft that they think can give them Sanders production at 1/3 the cost.

So, yeah, if they want him unconditionally, what is the hold up in them retainging him?  There is nothing to think about outside of cutting other guys who are currently on the roster/asking them to take paycuts in the next 4 days. Those paycuts or restructures take time.

Time.

Again, they had no idea how high BB would go until 24 hours ago.  I think 1.2 million is a sizeable wager for them to deal with in their current state.

In fact, if they wanted him, they'd take the 2.5 mil, retain him and then go back to Troy, whoever else and work the 1.2 increase around those players' current contracts.

Throw this into the mix and you think Emmanuel Sanders's contract status has enough power to affect that?

I don't.

Regardless, it's an interesting little dilemma for Colbert.

The Mallet thing id funny to me. Geno Smith sucks.  Dumber than a bag of rocks. Horrible scouting report with him. Mallett can't get a 2nd?  We;ll see. NE is dangling him out there for a 1st or 2nd.

That Lomardi rumor makes a ton of sense.  Cleveland does not lose a 1st rd pick AND they get their QB of the future. What's NOT to like from their perspective?   Are they supposed to draft Geno Smith or Barkley? LOL

EJ Manuel? These QBs are awful prospects. The worst in years.

Russ,

my point was that Pitt may be taking their time to decide if and how they can make up the difference...who they cut or restructure...that's all. The point was, if a foregone conclusion like you seem to think, why noy pull the trigger now? They are going through the paces on this...at least what I believe.

i don't disagree that mallett is as good or better as some of the names you mention at QB. I just don't know to be honest what a QB needy team thinks of him, if he is worth a 1st or 2nd. Certainly, I think he is worth it based on his college production, but don't know (because there is no to little data in this) how is original grade coming out 2 years ago has been affected...I would think at the very least it stays the same and we get a 3. I think it gets better from there but can't figure out how much better...I think a mid 2 may be possible, then I think of cassel and he fetched a 2 after a very good season...of course he was making a ton of cash, so that and mallets rookie contract figure in as well.

if we flipped 1st with Cleveland I would be ecstatic . I just don't see it happening unless Lombardi really values mallett and, Lombardi has his sights set on someone around the 29 range. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Draft:

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

assumptions...

1. We get sanders

3. We don't sign Abraham 

choices..,

2. 2nd pick...logan Ryan 

you are making my case lifer (with all your selections) provided we use the 3rd on rogers

only i would do all this (and have been advocatigng this for a good while) even if we sign abraham.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Sign Abraham or move on.

Sign one of the remaining f/a veteran CB's for stability at the vet minimum

Trade out of #29 and see if you can pick up an extra 2nd and a 4th

Use the 2nd round pick on the best DT available.

Use the other 2nd rd pick on a WR prospect with size.

Use our 3rd round pick to draft a future CB(Honey badger or Darius Slay)

Use the 4th we picked up to draft a DE/OLB prospect

Use the 2 7th rd picks on sleepers  who may have fallen either for the 0-line or just grab another Cb and WR to play special teams and develop on practice squad.

Hire a Defensive Backs Coach

Championship!

i love the db coach been on that forwever, but id hire top oc we could get as well.

and take de instead of dt. abraham is old. he and a rookie should help out our often non existent pas rush against better teams

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

According to Bedard at the Globe, (I'm quoting/paraphrasing), "Pats have just about filled all their pre-free agency needs....only 2 left, edge vet defender and right guard competition....Pats could ink Trevor Scott and vet guard to cover themselves.....ps right guard may not be needed with Svitek as swing tackle, Cannon could compete with Connolly."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Action-Jackson. Show Action-Jackson's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Draft:

7. Target OL in Rd 4.

assumptions...

1. We get sanders

3. We don't sign Abraham 

choices..,

2. 2nd pick...logan Ryan 

What does waiting until Sunday gain Pitt?  Nothing, really, because they can't change the current price of 2.5 million. The whole point if BB not signing Sanders to an offer sheet earlier was to push it out as long as possible so when Pitt resigned a guy or signed anyone in free agency, they couldn't budget from that off of their current decisions.

Sure, it's only 1.2 million in difference, but Pitt could get a quality WR, say in Rd 1 or 2 in this draft that they think can give them Sanders production at 1/3 the cost.

So, yeah, if they want him unconditionally, what is the hold up in them retainging him?  There is nothing to think about outside of cutting other guys who are currently on the roster/asking them to take paycuts in the next 4 days. Those paycuts or restructures take time.

Time.

Again, they had no idea how high BB would go until 24 hours ago.  I think 1.2 million is a sizeable wager for them to deal with in their current state.

In fact, if they wanted him, they'd take the 2.5 mil, retain him and then go back to Troy, whoever else and work the 1.2 increase around those players' current contracts.

Throw this into the mix and you think Emmanuel Sanders's contract status has enough power to affect that?

I don't.

Regardless, it's an interesting little dilemma for Colbert.

The Mallet thing id funny to me. Geno Smith sucks.  Dumber than a bag of rocks. Horrible scouting report with him. Mallett can't get a 2nd?  We;ll see. NE is dangling him out there for a 1st or 2nd.

That Lomardi rumor makes a ton of sense.  Cleveland does not lose a 1st rd pick AND they get their QB of the future. What's NOT to like from their perspective?   Are they supposed to draft Geno Smith or Barkley? LOL

EJ Manuel? These QBs are awful prospects. The worst in years.

Russ,

my point was that Pitt may be taking their time to decide if and how they can make up the difference...who they cut or restructure...that's all. The point was, if a foregone conclusion like you seem to think, why noy pull the trigger now? They are going through the paces on this...at least what I believe.

i don't disagree that mallett is as good or better as some of the names you mention at QB. I just don't know to be honest what a QB needy team thinks of him, if he is worth a 1st or 2nd. Certainly, I think he is worth it based on his college production, but don't know (because there is no to little data in this) how is original grade coming out 2 years ago has been affected...I would think at the very least it stays the same and we get a 3. I think it gets better from there but can't figure out how much better...I think a mid 2 may be possible, then I think of cassel and he fetched a 2 after a very good season...of course he was making a ton of cash, so that and mallets rookie contract figure in as well.

if we flipped 1st with Cleveland I would be ecstatic . I just don't see it happening unless Lombardi really values mallett and, Lombardi has his sights set on someone around the 29 range. 

Right, but now that they know the number, with it only being 1.2 more, how hard is it to pretty much realize you can work with that number?

They like Sanders, but it might not be enough for them to go through what you are suggesting, especially since Ben already restructured.  So, they've been sitting on his freed up 2013 money for about 6 weeks. 

You have to realize no one spend to the cap to the penny because you need like 2-3 mil available for anything you might do during the season. 

So, Pitt also needs 3-4 million for rookies.

They're squeezed as tight as any team, so I am not sure additional restructures will do it.

They'd need to present other versions of current deals with their pricier players, and then you have to figure there may be some negotiation back and forth off that. I am not saying it can't be done, but do they really want to go through all of that for Sanders?

Maybe. Maybe they have to and then rent him for 2013. I just thinking the concept of renting him for the 1 year is not attractive.

You are wrong as usual. Willie Colon comes off the books June 1st for $5.5m freeing up enough space to keep Sanders and sign rookies if they wish

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sign Sanders

draft a DT in the first

draft another DT or OLB in the second

OG or wr with 7th

wr or OG in the 7th

find a vet cb or depth

sign multiple UDFA's wr cb pk ol / camp cuts we can start out with 90 guys stock up now.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

Umm, no. If that was the case, they'd match the 2.5 right now.  You're a moron, as the board knows.

Nah sorry man hes right on this one. I saw people on the steelers forums saying it when i was looking up what they were saying about Sanders. I looked it up and got this.

"One day after they restructured the contract of outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers will create more salary-cap space today when they are expected to release offensive guard Willie Colon.

Colon, who had two years remaining on his contract, will be designated for a June 1 release -- meaning he can immediately become an unrestricted free agent and pursue signing with another team.

The move also means the Steelers will create $5.5 million in salary-cap space after June 1. That will push $4.3 million -- known as "dead money" -- into cap accounting in 2014."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/colons-release-is-due-today-679060/#ixzz2QD6FPbof

Colon has already signed with the Jets.

Again, why would Pitt rent (they will not win the SB in 2013) Sanders when he's due a new deal?

Where is his new deal?

Do you not get this?  The cap doesn't move this year or next. Willie Colon is one of many hacks they've walked from.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/jets-get-willie-colon-on-a-one-year-deal/

Please do your homework.

Is this to me or Rkarp? Either way theyll have 5.5 mil to work with on june 1st. Even if he signed a new deal.

APats and myself are correct. It is simply an accounting issue for June1st. Pitts can sign Sanders and draft choices if They wish. The delay is that hey are not sure they think he is worth the $$$$

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

There's a somewhat obscure rule in the CBA that allows a team to treat up to two players who are cut before June 2 as if they were cut on June 2.  This allows the team to defer the cap hit for the dead money related to the cut for an extra season.  I assume the Steelers decided to treat Colon this way.  This means his salary is counted against the Steeler's cap right now, but on June 2, his salary will come off the cap and any dead money will be forwarded to the 2014 season.  

So Karp and AP are right . . . it is quite possible that Colon is still counted against the Steelers' cap even though he's signed with the Jets. 

Remember, though, until the money comes off the cap, they still need to count him against the cap and that means he limits their flexibility until June 2.  They could, however, put off signing their rookies until after the 2nd.  That way the rookies will only count at the minimum between the draft and when they are signed post June 2.  In other words, Colon's money could be used to cover the rookie salaries.