You're GM, what would you do this offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: You're GM, what would you do this offseason?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

the only thing I know for sure is every name under consideration for being drafted by us will not be drafted by us! BB seems to do that to us every year!

i don know, 

last year i had hightower, had jones as 1 of 3 pass rushers i coveted and ebert as a udfa potential pickup.

2011 i had dowling (provided his health checked out-we took him anyway)

2010 i had spikes,

(all posted on draft thread)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think as a GM you go into the offseason with a general plan for what you're trying to do and also with a lot of options and alternatives in mind so you can adjust depending on all the things that might happen over which you have no control.  There's no way, for instance, you can "plan" exactly what players you'll get in the draft because you don't know what the teams picking before you will do.  And even with free agents there's a lot of uncertainty about who other teams will pursue and what they'll offer. the offseason is like a big chess game with multiple players where each move (your own and others' moves) is going to determine what can be done next and you have to be ready to adjust and readjust.  At best you can have a general set of objectives, but you can't work it all out in advance becuase there's just too much you don't control. Any plan for specific players we put forward now may look good on paper, but it may turn out impossible to execute. Having a strategy is important, but the actual moves are completely impossible to map out in advance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think as a GM you go into the offseason with a general plan for what you're trying to do and also with a lot of options and alternatives in mind so you can adjust depending on all the things that might happen over which you have no control.  There's no way, for instance, you can "plan" exactly what players you'll get in the draft because you don't know what the teams picking before you will do.  And even with free agents there's a lot of uncertainty about who other teams will pursue and what they'll offer. the offseason is like a big chess game with multiple players where each move (your own and others' moves) is going to determine what can be done next and you have to be ready to adjust and readjust.  At best you can have a general set of objectives, but you can't work it all out in advance becuase there's just too much you don't control. Any plan for specific players we put forward now may look good on paper, but it may turn out impossible to execute. Having a strategy is important, but the actual moves are completely impossible to map out in advance.

Of course Pro, but we're fans and don't need to worry about that. This is more of a fantasy exercise to spark conversation

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eng...went back and watched some more tape on okafor, hunt, carradine, etc...basically all the pass rushers that should be available at 29. Did the same with Hankins, Jenkins, Williams...

i had okafor at 29 and Williams at 38 with your Arizona trade...I am reconsidering Something....that is whether or not we should pay Talib or draft the best corner available at 29 or with a slide trade back into round 2. And, spend talibs money on grabbing Starks or Melton Or another FA DT. 

There were lots of things I liked and disliked after watching some tape again on all of the DT and de in question. I think although hunt is raw, he is the most intriguing to me of the whole group because of his athletic ability and size. I could see him lining up inside, outside on the line, and possibly adding 15-20 lbs..he has the frame. I really I would like to start to build a more athletic line, not necessarily a bunch of 350 pound guys that stop the run and eat up blocks, but guys in the hunt category that are long and fast and can create pressure. 

So...thoughts on

1. Giving Talib money to Melton or Starks. trade 29 back to mid to high 40's draft slay to play cb, and with your Arizona pick 38, grab hunt. 1st round trade back nets us a 3rd this year. 

2. Pay Melton or Starks or another top notch 4-3 DT to play opposite vw. 

3. We now have 2 3rd's...trade on for a 4and and 5th. So, we have a 3, 4, 5. 4th I am using on Swope..3rd big question, but here is where I might look for another corner or DT..BPA. 5th I am either going to use on gostkowski s replacement as noted above to save additional money, or here is where I might want to look for another TE or Safety. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Of course Pro, but we're fans and don't need to worry about that. This is more of a fantasy exercise to spark conversation

True enough, but it's one reason not to ever feel too good or too bad if your plan either does or does not come to fruition. There's a lot of stuff that is completely unpredictable, which is why all the mock drafts and other guesses people make rarely are what actually happens, whether those mocks make good sense or bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Eng...went back and watched some more tape on okafor, hunt, carradine, etc...basically all the pass rushers that should be available at 29. Did the same with Hankins, Jenkins, Williams...

i had okafor at 29 and Williams at 38 with your Arizona trade...I am reconsidering Something....that is whether or not we should pay Talib or draft the best corner available at 29 or with a slide trade back into round 2. And, spend talibs money on grabbing Starks or Melton Or another FA DT. 

There were lots of things I liked and disliked after watching some tape again on all of the DT and de in question. I think although hunt is raw, he is the most intriguing to me of the whole group because of his athletic ability and size. I could see him lining up inside, outside on the line, and possibly adding 15-20 lbs..he has the frame. I really I would like to start to build a more athletic line, not necessarily a bunch of 350 pound guys that stop the run and eat up blocks, but guys in the hunt category that are long and fast and can create pressure. 

So...thoughts on

1. Giving Talib money to Melton or Starks. trade 29 back to mid to high 40's draft slay to play cb, and with your Arizona pick 38, grab hunt. 1st round trade back nets us a 3rd this year. 

2. Pay Melton or Starks or another top notch 4-3 DT to play opposite vw. 

3. We now have 2 3rd's...trade on for a 4and and 5th. So, we have a 3, 4, 5. 4th I am using on Swope..3rd big question, but here is where I might look for another corner or DT..BPA. 5th I am either going to use on gostkowski s replacement as noted above to save additional money, or here is where I might want to look for another TE or Safety. 

"guys in the hunt category that are long and fast and can create pressure. "

talking my language.

though not necess on borad with the above plan. idf like talib for low money if we can do that or to get nnamdi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

How much do we save if we cut the mediocre Mayo?  It's really silly paying Elite money for an average, at best, LB.

Yes, Mayo DRoY(08'), 2x pro-bowl (10',12'), 1x all-pro (10'), 1x all-nfl (12') is mediocre. You are just as bad as Rusty with Brady or Babe with BB drafting

So you honestly feel his production is worthy of his pay check?  Lloyd makes a hell of a lot less and people are roasting him over his 900+ yards of production.  Bang for the buck wise, Lloyd is a much better valve.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

True enough, but it's one reason not to ever feel too good or too bad if your plan either does or does not come to fruition. There's a lot of stuff that is completely unpredictable, which is why all the mock drafts and other guesses people make rarely are what actually happens, whether those mocks make good sense or bad.

Yep, I know people can take them way to seriously I just like to have fun predicting and seeing if anything comes true. I'm like the guy who sees the lottery ticket machine at the store has an extra buck so tosses it in and wins the dollar back. I didn't expect to win, nor in the end did I net anything but for that $1 I got a bit of excitement and joy out of it. Then a couple months later I do it again and lose, doh  >.<

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How much do we save if we cut the mediocre Mayo?  It's really silly paying Elite money for an average, at best, LB.

Yes, Mayo DRoY(08'), 2x pro-bowl (10',12'), 1x all-pro (10'), 1x all-nfl (12') is mediocre. You are just as bad as Rusty with Brady or Babe with BB drafting

So you honestly feel his production is worthy of his pay check?  Lloyd makes a hell of a lot less and people are roasting him over his 900+ yards of production.  Bang for the buck wise, Lloyd is a much better valve.

People were I wasn't. I actually thought we got decent value for Lloyd for what he was paid in comparison to other WR's contract and what they provided for production. As with Mayo I looked at other similar players and play styles and his contract fell right in line with what they were getting so yes I do think his production is worth the paycheck because it fits what other players who are asked to do similar jobs are getting. The difference with Lloyd is the locker room issue. I was fine with his pay I'm not fine with the locker room stuff which is why I want him gone. From everything I've herad Mayo is the exact opposite and a leader on the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

If I were the GM, heres what I would do. (I already posted this on a previous thread, so its copy and pasted)

#1 Resign Talib

#2 Resign Vollmer 

#3 Sign Goldson

#4 Resign Edelman and let Welker walk.

#5 Trade our first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd. Gives us 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 picks in the 3rd.

Draft 

2A- Justin Hunter- An complete outside WR

2B- Margus Hunt- Play him all over the D-Line and he has big time potential

3A-Kyle Long- Super athletic guard

3B-Ryan Swope- Takes Welker's spot in the slot

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Cary Williams from Baltimore could hit free agency...any takers here?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yep, I know people can take them way to seriously I just like to have fun predicting and seeing if anything comes true. I'm like the guy who sees the lottery ticket machine at the store has an extra buck so tosses it in and wins the dollar back. I didn't expect to win, nor in the end did I net anything but for that $1 I got a bit of excitement and joy out of it. Then a couple months later I do it again and lose, doh  >.<

Hey, don't undersell your brilliance.  Buying a single lottery ticket for a dollar increases your odds of winning infinitely for a completely insignificant amount (the difference between no chance and a miniscule one still being infinite). Buying more than one is where people go wrong, because a ten or hundredfold increase in cost is more significant for most people than a ten or hundredfold increase in odds that would still be terrible if increased 10,000 times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Cary Williams from Baltimore could hit free agency...any takers here?

No.  He is way overrated.  I feel like I read somewhere he gave up more first downs than any CB in the league or at the very least he was up there.  Yeah he has PDs and INTs, but teams were not afraid of throwing at him.  Lloyd completely abused him at the beginning of the regular season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good post, Eng.  I agree with most of it.  I'd like to see them re-sign Talib, but if he walks then a guy like DRC or Grimes would be fine too.  I also still doubt that we'll trade Mallett, but I could very well be worng there.  All in all, your offseason scenario would really improve our team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

I would definitely take some fliers on wide recievers David Nelson and Barden Ramses and see if they could make the team. Imagine having a 6'5 and 6'6 reciever on the team with all the weapons we have so far! Worth a look.

u mean Ramses Barden

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

If I were the GM, heres what I would do. (I already posted this on a previous thread, so its copy and pasted)

#1 Resign Talib

#2 Resign Vollmer 

#3 Sign Goldson

#4 Resign Edelman and let Welker walk.

#5 Trade our first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd. Gives us 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 picks in the 3rd.

Draft 

2A- Justin Hunter- An complete outside WR

2B- Margus Hunt- Play him all over the D-Line and he has big time potential

3A-Kyle Long- Super athletic guard

3B-Ryan Swope- Takes Welker's spot in the slot

i like the fa signings

hunter!

and hunt

i dotn know long but beleive we need to improve teh line

i dotn know swope. i know da' rick rogers.

Sections
Shortcuts