Zach Sudfeld

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Zach Sudfeld

Just a little more info about him covered in this interview with him, also some clips of him playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOPJrJkh1w

Height: 6066
    Weight: 253
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.78
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.80
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.65
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 11
    Vertical Jump: 37
    Broad Jump: 09'05"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
    3-Cone Drill: 7.08

I would really like to see this kid make the roster.  Good hands, really good blocker.  Much better choice then having TE Tebow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Zach Sudfeld

If those numbers that tfb12 listed are correct...yikes! Not good. At 11 reps he is weaker than most high schoolers and a 4.78 40 is as pedestrian as you can get. Now anyone can argue he may be faster with pads on, but you can't say he is stronger with pads on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

I love the potential of this guy. Especially how he talked about how TE's were considered part of the OL group and also as pass catchers. It shows how he can be a complete TE. The only thing is worried about is his 6 surgeries he has already had. I hoping his body can hold up to the NFL grind.

Should fit right in then, lol!  Okay, just kidding!  Or am I??

Yes, the injuries have been an issue, and is a concern but he had a very good and solid season last season.  I have seen him play several times and think he could be a good fit here and do good things IF (notice the big if) he can stay healthy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If those numbers that tfb12 listed are correct...yikes! Not good. At 11 reps he is weaker than most high schoolers and a 4.78 40 is as pedestrian as you can get. Now anyone can argue he may be faster with pads on, but you can't say he is stronger with pads on.

Well to be fair, longer arms do make it harder to bench press. But there is no doubt he needs to get stronger.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, you are 100% correct. And truly if he moves well, or is exposive, it won't matter about his 40. I watched his video a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I noticed was how small this guy appeared to me - his shoulders look narrow and his legs look skinny. He doesn't look like an NFL tight end to me. I hope I'm wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Word is that he caught Tommy's eye in OTA, with Gronk out, Hern hobbled and Brady's regulars all gone, Sudfeld got a chance to shine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Here are Gronks #'s

Height: 6062
    Weight: 258
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.68
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
    Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'11"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
    3-Cone Drill: 7.18

Yeah, the bench isn't great but it's fairly easy to add strength then some of the other measurables.  Plus it hasn't seemed to hurt his blocking at all.  Really good blocker, I believe I read he blocked 94% of the time and was in on 24 td scoring plays. 

But if the Bench Press was all it took to be a good blocker, OL Mitch Petrus (45 reps) would be on a roster.  Its just as much about base strength, core, technique, etc. as it is raw upper body strength.

Notice the Vertical jump, 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone compared to Gronk.  

Now I'm not saying this guy is as good as Gronk, Hernandez or the other TE's currently on the team but I do think he can be a promising total package TE if he can stay healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm not ready to call him a roster lock, but I do agree that Sudfeld has a lot of promise (health-pending, like anyone else).  I think Brandon Ford has a chance to stick too.  His workout numbers won't wow anyone, but he had a lot of production at Clemson once he got a chance to start, and based on his film he has a knack for getting open and catching the ball.  Both guys will be fun to watch come preseason...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree sudfeld has promise, but I see him in the same mold as Gronk and Ballard. Big, inline TE that can line up on the line, block, catch and move around a bit. No one is gronk in that Gronk I think is the most complete TE I have ever seen. Even more so than tony gonzalez, witten, etc. 

gronk can line up on the line, in the slot, out wide, etc. I don't see any TE on our oster that can do that. Assuming it takes Gronk some time to come back, I think the pats will be ok with Ballard and sudfeld, and use hooman as our move TE similar to Hern. Not as agile as Hern. I am an advocate of possibly bringing in Dave Thomas to replace Hern in that role....

sudfeld needs to add about 10-15 lbs and some strength. If he can do that, remain athletic, run well and stay healthy, he will i think be a good find for us. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

As long as he is already a good blocker those bench press #s dont really matter. He has good quickness according to his shuttle times, and his vert 37 is elite for someone of his size. 

If he has a good training camp I would keep him over Ballard if it came down to it. Ballard still is not running at full speed(not sure if he ever will at this point) a full year and a half since he blew out his knee. 

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Sudfeld doesn't have a lot of strength but his hand work and leverage is off the charts. That's typically how he compensates for the lack of strength most times. As TFB said, you can add strength but having a fundamental knowing of hand placement and getting the most out of your leverage is a hard thing to train and most players don't always grasp it. So, to me he's got a leg up over some other rooks trying to break into TE groups. He's going to be fun to watch and comes out of college highly polished. His issue and the reason he was a UDFA is his injury history and that he's old (24). Short of that he has day 2 type of talent.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus