Zbellino School of Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: Zbellino School of Football

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Listen up - This is from another thread but is too good to be left buried there:

• zbellino
    • First: 03/20/2006
    • Last: 12/11/2012

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

145 pass attempts 78 rush attempts in our 3 losses. 9 point lead with 14:00 left in 4th quarter against the Ravens, would have been nice to run some clock off, I think Dallas ran for 240 yards against the Ravens next week. 14 point lead with less than 7 minutes, some clock killing runs might have helped.

Exactly how much more than 30 times did you expect them to rush against the Ravens when the RBs were getting 2.5 ypc for the game?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Another fact that is being denied by some:   For good or bad, Brady was in the shotgun far more often than he was under center.  CBS stats had him in shotgun 31/40 passing situations, including penalties and sacks.  If that is being "reined in" and forced under center I can only imagine what the stats would look like if he were granted freedom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

Another fact that is being denied by some:   For good or bad, Brady was in the shotgun far more often than he was under center.  CBS stats had him in shotgun 31/40 passing situations, including penalties and sacks.  If that is being "reined in" and forced under center I can only imagine what the stats would look like if he were granted freedom.

Brilliant.  Trolls and irrationals exposed yet again.  LMAO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Umm, I just bluedgoened Z in another thread. To sit here after last night and then claim we "weren't one dimensional" last year is a joke. I like Z, but his arrogance on this topic leaves a lot to be desired. It really does.  After last night, this is not the time to dig yourself a bigger hole. We were incredibly one dimenisonal last year especially after BJGE had his turf toe injury and they didn't turn to Ridley as a rookie off a lockout.  This offense is WORSE when Woodhead as lead back. PERIOD.

Deception and balance make it easier to execute.  Saying "execution is a must" or "matchups are key" isn't enough. It's how you APPROACH how you run your offense, not just magically eating your Wheaties that morning and hoping you outperform your opponent.

Here's something that will sting and sting badly, but it's undeniable:

In SB 46, for all intents and purposes, Gronkowski was not there. In this game last night, he wasn't there.  Case closed. If they ran their offense like this in the SB and weren't immediately in a finesse, shotgun spread as the approach, we WIN the SB. Painful to admit, but it's the truth.   Houston's front line is as every bit as good as the NYGs is.

NE held the Giants in the SB to SEVEN POINTS in the first half. Last night? ZERO points for Houston's offense.  ZERO.     The only difference was HOW OUR OFFENSE WAS RUN LAST NIGHT AS COMPARED TO HOW IT WAS POORLY RUN IN THE SB.  All they had to do was lean on BJGE after that nice TD drive out of halftime and not abandon the run.  That's it. Brady likely wouldn't have thrown the INT or thrown high to Welker.  Painful to admit, but it's just the truth.

Regardless of who is to blame in the SB blah blah blah, the fact is, Brady is BETTER, the team is BETTER when they run it like last night. 

I love how I called all of this and somehow I am not right in my analysis. You trolls/irrationals are pathetic. Even Hurlie somewhat just capitulated in another thread. Gee, how come none of you Washers didn't take my very simple bet in this game?

Again, I know why.

35 passes for Brady last night, Irrationals/Washers. 35. Brady was reined in and under Center. Debate over.

Ummmm, was LLoyd there??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

LMAO.  Umm, do you think that you'll get "street cred" for citing Zbellino's prior post/thread?

I can't stop laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, anyone who watched the game knows they were in spread much of the time.  That was a pass-heavy game plan, at least for most of the first half. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Brilliant.  Trolls and irrationals exposed yet again.  LMAO.

Brady is in the shotgun less then in years past, by his own words....so no. We are committed to a run game and it has payed off, and will ultimately result in a SB win imo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Yeah, anyone who watched the game knows they were in spread much of the time.  That was a pass-heavy game plan, at least for most of the first half. 

Texans have let up 1 game with over 85 rushing yards, and 1 game with a rushing td in 12 games. Um yeah I would say the spread is the way to go there.

The Giants in the Sb were 28th against the run. I don't expect that to slow down the opinions of the close minded though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The thing that I like about this team is that even when the other team knows the run is coming it's still effective.  They run because they can.  The run because it's important to them, and the game plan reflects that.  You can argue that it's better RB personnel, a commitment to the running game or the unending quest for balance.  Whatever the reason is, teams have come to respect the running game and that opens other parts of the playbook and makes a lethal offense/passing game even more difficult to stop.   

The season started with teams daring the Patriots to run, and the Pats had some early success on the ground because of it.  Now, in successive weeks against pretty good defensive fronts the Pats were able do enough on the ground initially to set up the use play action, and they've used it to get the matchups that they want -- RB on LB, S on TE, etc.  Did you see some of those Houston LBs and Safeties overcommiting to the run last night? Granted, you could stick a fork in Houston way before the Pats ran it down their throat, but the O did the same thing in the Miami game -- they ran right at the Dolphins' D to put the game away.  I am not so convinced that they had the mentality, personnel or desire to do this over the past few years.  

Whatever the reason I feel more confident about this offense than I have in a long time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

The Giants in the Sb were 28th against the run. I don't expect that to slow down the opinions of the close minded though.

Wow, really? One would think our RBs could have gotten more than 3.6 ypc against them then.

That explains it! BB must have thought, "Hmmm, if we can't get more than 3.6 ypc against the 28th best run D, then why bother at all?".

I do find it ironic that you would call anybody closed minded though. I think I saw you listed in the Guiness book under that heading.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My personal opinion is you DO need to run the ball effectively to ultimately win everything, simply because sooner or later someone is going to stop your QB..it happens. Perhaps more important is your defense needs to play like the guys did last night - it changes a game - your offense will get the ball more often and with much better field position. Caoches can call things differently and the offense won't feel as much pressure to score on every possesion.

If we can stay healthy and our defense can play like that (or better) the rest of the way, I think this is the best chance we've had in a long time to win a super bowl. Last year's team in my opinion was missing several things this team has. I think the road to the Super Bowl will be tougher this year though. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Texans have let up 1 game with over 85 rushing yards, and 1 game with a rushing td in 12 games. Um yeah I would say the spread is the way to go there.

I don't know where you get 28th.  They were 19th against the run by rushing yards given up and 23rd in ypc given up.  Their run defense (and defense overall) also was improving toward the end of the season and was pretty good most of the playoffs.  The reality is the Giants D suffered a lot injuries early in the season. A lot of their injured guys were back by playoff time, so the overall season averages aren't all that meaningful.

A lot of the problems with the offense in both Super Bowls was due to the Giants front seven being too much for our injury depleted O line.  Last year, both Vollmer and Mankins were hurt in the Super Bowl.  That hurt both in pass protection and run blocking. But that's another detail you choose to ignore in favour of harping on the simplistic run-pass ratio formula you and Wozzy and Rusty all tout as the be-all and end-all of football.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEBACK. Show WeDerrWEBACK's posts

okay, i guess rusty has been banned again and is now Rocky Skully?  It has to be him since he is actually calling Zbell arrogant?  Zbell is one of the best posters on this board.  Rusty is a head case...

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Umm, I just bluedgoened Z in another thread.

You have NEVER bludgeoned anyone here junior. NOT ONE TIME. Much less bludgeon Z.

I've never bluedgoned Phat Rex or Underpants? Just 2 weeks ago I blistered your buddy Gunty with about 7 people coming on the thread and confirming so.

It's easy to bitchslap morons or peopel with agendas.

Your worst nightmare just occurred last night.  Brady finally was reined in and he helped the team.

Brady threw 35 passes (36 passes if you include the sack).  I think Reiss counted 31 shotgun snaps . . . how is that "reining" Brady in?

Do you even watch the games?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Let me try again if that last post was heavy handed, for which I apologize, and in the hopes I haven't been banned?

Anyone?

Listen up - This is from another thread but is too good to be left buried there:

• zbellino

I disagree that a.) NE was 1 dimensional last season.

They were pass heavy and their run game was finesse, it relied on trickery instead of anything substantive.  There were three run plays from my recollection; draw, sweep and the dive on very rare occasion, but those occasions were always on short and goal obvious running situations and we always ran and got stuffed because we were predictable.  An opposing defensive coordinator said we had become predictable over the past few years, who do you think was manning the helm offensively at that time?  Maybe as a former coach you don't like my critcism but you can't deny the possiblity that opposing coach was correct?  

Play action was non existent and not really a threat when you never actually call your bluff and run. 

b.) You need to run the football in order to win.

No, you don't.  

But the statistical odds of you winning the first round bye, getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs and inside your domed stadium, that is unless you have all of these factors worked out (the Razor doesn't have a roof does it?) dictates that the odds are highly unlikely.  

Have you ever thrown or caught a football in the snow, I'll assume you have.  The ball is slick and hard, the ground cold and wet, the Pat's would be silly to consciously move to this type of offensive philosophy playing in the NE elements.

c.) That running BJGE more would have made a lick of difference in decisive losses. Getting Gronk back in the SB would have made a decisive difference. Welker and Brady connecting on a pass would have, Hern and Welk not have a few drops a piece, BJGE running better on his reps. That makes a differnce.

Gronk played something like 75% of the offensive snaps, caught a 20 yard pass, yeah he wasn't healthy but are we really leaning on that crutch?  Everybody had injuries...  

The Giant's averaged fewer yards per carry than us but continued to attempt the run, they controlled the time of possession this way, converted short, manageable 3rd downs this way, wore out our defense this way, they had the ball last but actually made a mistake by leaving us 1 minute... 3 dropped passes ended our finesse team's last chance of victory. 

There is no "magic game plan" .... you win based on execution first ... 90% of football is execution.

The game was lost in execution, poor execution by it's offense and offensive coordinator. Two turnovers, 17 points by our offense, the opposing team's defense imposed it's will on our offense.  Owned it if you will.

Why can't you just admit that instead of stubbornly trying to wriggle and wrangle around games that are anomalous to your "theory." Like this game ... ro the Ravens loss where they ran and ran and ran and still the defense collapsed. 

Here is what I say and I repeat most of these for the 100000th time.

1.) First and foremost. There is no magic game plan -- sometimes passing twice as much as you run is a good game plan. Sometimes running 45-50 of the time is a good game plan. It DEPENDS ON THE TEAM AND SITUATION. Balance for balance sake is just silly. If they ran 50% of the time in the first 3 quarters this week ... they would not have had all those points. The Texans can be thrown against and are hard to run against. It's about MATCHUPS. 

2.) Run pass balance is dictated by situtation not abstract and arbitrary ratios. You don't run on 3rd and 9 just to say you are balanced. 

3.) PA/misdirection etc gains effectiveness based on how good you are at selling it and how much of a threat your RB is to the defense. Running more ... but running terribly won't make defenders "bite".

4.) Running more does nothing to improve the defense, getting better defenders improve the defense. Better defense improves defense. 

5.) 90% of football is EXECUTION and gameplans minor changes (4 plays here or there) are meaningless compared to 4 plays poorly or well executed .... which creates a MAJOR swing. 

It's you that pushes your argument waaay past where it should end man. Running the football is not the sole deciding factor in whether a team wins or loses. And the number of times you run is usually based on the kind of situations you find yourself in rather than arbitary wishes of fans.

Sorry... I have coached and played. That's how it works dude. 

And for the record I love the improved (ie more effective, not more reps) running game .... but it is meaningless compared to how much an improved defense increases stands to increase their chances. 

Nobody ever said there was a magic ratio of runs to passes, certainly I never implied that, some of us merely stated that the Patriots needed to run more and become more physical, which we obviously have so I'll assume McDaniels and BB must also agree with what I've been preaching for the last four years.  

Saying the run game is magically improved because of Ridely alone is also wrong, it's improved by all the tightends getting very little recognition; Fells, Huey as well as the timely blocking by Gronk, Hern and the rest of the receivers and linemen.  

Saying there's no such thing as talented coordinators or timely play calling is also wrong, play action requires timing and guile as well as selling the actual fake. If you never run or are a threat to run, then the play action becomes a meaningless time consuming move that just results in sacks. Misdirection has to be sold by more than a good fake.  Sorry I know you coach so I'm not trying to tell you your business but some coordinators travel team to team selling themselves and producing wherever they go... that's not uncommon and there's a reason they get paid a lot of money; success.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You have NEVER bludgeoned anyone here junior. NOT ONE TIME. Much less bludgeon Z.

I've never bluedgoned Phat Rex or Underpants? Just 2 weeks ago I blistered your buddy Gunty with about 7 people coming on the thread and confirming so.

Your worst nightmare just occurred last night.  Brady finally was reined in and he helped the team.

Brady threw 35 passes (36 passes if you include the sack).  I think Reiss counted 31 shotgun snaps . . . how is that "reining" Brady in?

Commitment to the run.  Is this that hard?  Do you think they just magically got playaction from the shotgun?

So? What does that have to do with reining Brady in? Last night, if anything, they did the opposite and unleashed Brady. Heck, the pass-run ratio in the first half was 63%-37%.  In the Super Bowl last year, Brady threw 18 times in the first half and the Pats ran 9 times.  Last night Brady threw 19 times in the first half and the Pats ran 11 times.  You and Champ and Wozzy must have been having conniptions with a pass-run ratio so similar to last year's Super Bowl.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Let me try again if that last post was heavy handed, for which I apologize, and in the hopes I haven't been banned?

Anyone?

• zbellino

I disagree that a.) NE was 1 dimensional last season.

They were pass heavy and their run game was finesse, it relied on trickery instead of anything substantive.  There were three run plays from my recollection; draw, sweep and the dive on very rare occasion, but those occasions were always on short and goal obvious running situations and we always ran and got stuffed because we were predictable.  An opposing defensive coordinator said we had become predictable over the past few years, who do you think was manning the helm offensively at that time?  Maybe as a former coach you don't like my critcism but you can't deny the possiblity that opposing coach was correct?  

Play action was non existent and not really a threat when you never actually call your bluff and run. 

b.) You need to run the football in order to win.

No, you don't.  

But the statistical odds of you winning the first round bye, getting home field advantage throughout the playoffs and inside your domed stadium, that is unless you have all of these factors worked out (the Razor doesn't have a roof does it?) dictates that the odds are highly unlikely.  

Have you ever thrown or caught a football in the snow, I'll assume you have.  The ball is slick and hard, the ground cold and wet, the Pat's would be silly to consciously move to this type of offensive philosophy playing in the NE elements.

c.) That running BJGE more would have made a lick of difference in decisive losses. Getting Gronk back in the SB would have made a decisive difference. Welker and Brady connecting on a pass would have, Hern and Welk not have a few drops a piece, BJGE running better on his reps. That makes a differnce.

Gronk played something like 75% of the offensive snaps, caught a 20 yard pass, yeah he wasn't healthy but are we really leaning on that crutch?  Everybody had injuries...  

The Giant's averaged fewer yards per carry than us but continued to attempt the run, they controlled the time of possession this way, converted short, manageable 3rd downs this way, wore out our defense this way, they had the ball last but actually made a mistake by leaving us 1 minute... 3 dropped passes ended our finesse team's last chance of victory. 

There is no "magic game plan" .... you win based on execution first ... 90% of football is execution.

The game was lost in execution, poor execution by it's offense and offensive coordinator. Two turnovers, 17 points by our offense, the opposing team's defense imposed it's will on our offense.  Owned it if you will.

Why can't you just admit that instead of stubbornly trying to wriggle and wrangle around games that are anomalous to your "theory." Like this game ... ro the Ravens loss where they ran and ran and ran and still the defense collapsed. 

Here is what I say and I repeat most of these for the 100000th time.

1.) First and foremost. There is no magic game plan -- sometimes passing twice as much as you run is a good game plan. Sometimes running 45-50 of the time is a good game plan. It DEPENDS ON THE TEAM AND SITUATION. Balance for balance sake is just silly. If they ran 50% of the time in the first 3 quarters this week ... they would not have had all those points. The Texans can be thrown against and are hard to run against. It's about MATCHUPS. 

2.) Run pass balance is dictated by situtation not abstract and arbitrary ratios. You don't run on 3rd and 9 just to say you are balanced. 

3.) PA/misdirection etc gains effectiveness based on how good you are at selling it and how much of a threat your RB is to the defense. Running more ... but running terribly won't make defenders "bite".

4.) Running more does nothing to improve the defense, getting better defenders improve the defense. Better defense improves defense. 

5.) 90% of football is EXECUTION and gameplans minor changes (4 plays here or there) are meaningless compared to 4 plays poorly or well executed .... which creates a MAJOR swing. 

It's you that pushes your argument waaay past where it should end man. Running the football is not the sole deciding factor in whether a team wins or loses. And the number of times you run is usually based on the kind of situations you find yourself in rather than arbitary wishes of fans.

Sorry... I have coached and played. That's how it works dude. 

And for the record I love the improved (ie more effective, not more reps) running game .... but it is meaningless compared to how much an improved defense increases stands to increase their chances. 

Nobody ever said there was a magic ratio of runs to passes, certainly I never implied that, some of us merely stated that the Patriots needed to run more and become more physical, which we obviously have so I'll assume McDaniels and BB must also agree with what I've been preaching for the last four years.  

Saying the run game is magically improved because of Ridely alone is also wrong, it's improved by all the tightends getting very little recognition; Fells, Huey as well as the timely blocking by Gronk, Hern and the rest of the receivers and linemen.  

Saying there's no such thing as talented coordinators or timely play calling is also wrong, play action requires timing and guile as well as selling the actual fake. If you never run or are a threat to run, then the play action becomes a meaningless time consuming move that just results in sacks. Misdirection has to be sold by more than a good fake.  Sorry I know you coach so I'm not trying to tell you your business but some coordinators travel team to team selling themselves and producing wherever they go... that's not uncommon and there's a reason they get paid a lot of money; success.

I read you loud and clear

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

So? What does that have to do with reining Brady in? Last night, if anything, they did the opposite and unleashed Brady. Heck, the pass-run ratio in the first half was 63%-37%.  In the Super Bowl last year, Brady threw 18 times in the first half and the Pats ran 9 times.  Last night Brady threw 19 times in the first half and the Pats ran 11 times.  You and Champ and Wozzy must have been having conniptions with a pass-run ratio so similar to last year's Super Bowl.

Crickets

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Commitment to the run.  Is this that hard?  Do you think they just magically got playaction from the shotgun?

THEY ALREADY ESTABLISHED THE RUN and targeted literally every player in the passing game, so that opened up what Houston had to be responsible for. Once that is done, I don't care if he's in the shotgun or not.

Why is this so hard for you to grasp?  I am on here continuously saying "make sure you commit to the run". They did! I am also on here saying "target every offensive player in the 1st qtr to give them D more to be responsible for"...

You don't seem to get, like Babe and the others don't get, it's about the approach not only the data. Like, RIdley's YPC last night was irrelevant because the run had to be addressed by Houston's D. That's all that matters!

The numbers in the box score are nothiung more than a benchmark for my argument. 

They DID NOT establish a run vs Miami, however. Also, it's not like that ratio was great for Brady last night anyway. Once they got away from the run too much, Houston had them stopped 3 and out many times in a row with the D absolutely outstanding over and over (you're worst nightmare).

So, even though it was VASTLY improved over the Miami game, it wasn't perfect.  They had just stunned Houston so much so early, their stalling wasn't a factor.

You don't get it...our offense is not and hasn't been the issue for years...it's the defense. Last night they played the way a decent defense should. It didn't matter what formation our offense was in...how much we ran...who we threw it too...what the calls were. What mattered was the offense didn't have to score on every possession to win - they didn't have to go on long drives. They didn't have to stand on the sideline waiting to get the ball back. If this continues we could win something, if not you will be blaming Brady. Like you have for the last 5 years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They wet one dimensional last year. Passing game and Brady was great like always. Other than maybe the Oakland game and the 2nd jet game they didn't run the ball for much production . 

Nobody here is an expert, luckily we have Belchick and Brady, the best coach / QB combo ever.

Sections
Shortcuts