1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Girardi Blew It

In Response to Re: Girardi Blew It:
    [QUOTE]Girardi didn't hand Sori the ball and say "walk 3 people"....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

No - but it is a managers responsibility to put his team in the best possible position to win the game. IMHO, he did not do that last night. I am not saying that Sori is not to blame. He is like AJ - a thickheaded knucklehead at times. But that is what the manager needs to work through and in this case, Joe didn't.

As mentioned, why did he have Robertson up first? CC was never in trouble.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42nyc. Show 42nyc's posts

I was surprised to see robertson & logan up when soriano was suffering If you really want to save the game, we do have a guy who does that. It also seems like Soriano was taken out either too late or too early. If you're going to let him get himself out of the inning commit to it, if you're going to pull him because he doesn't have the plate, does it really take 3 walks? All very odd. Logan has looked quite bad through the spring so far and robertson has not looked great yet. I hope they both work through it. Logan especially needs a return to form.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GARCIA1. Show GARCIA1's posts

[QUOTE]I've never really been a fan of how he handles the bullpen, except going to Mo in the 9th with a lead but a toddler can make that call.  Its another day lets hope to get something decent out of Garcia tonight. I'm debating picking up a ticket to this game but then I'd hate to waste $ if Garcia bombs......I've got tix for the next Saturday I might just pass on tonight.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

i never bomb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Girardi Blew It : I will never give Girardi the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the bullpen. Soriano had no business starting that inning.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Girardi has long since lost the benefit of the doubt.  The whole thing made no sense.  He had Robertson warming up, but apparently didn't trust him to start the inning, yet brough him in with the tying runs on base. 

Also, his reasoning, "Soriano is my eighth inning man", was weak.  And Soriano ducking the media was weaker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Girardi Blew It : I don't think it is that we are turning on our team. But you need to win the games that are locks and yesterday was one of them. Plus the Yanks do need to take advantage of the Sox early fumbles because we all know the Sox are just as likely to run off a win streak of 5 plus games at any time.

Yeah, that's true.  Law of averages will come into play for the Sox at some point.

For right now, they're already losing 2-0 in the first. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxLose. Show SoxLose's posts

[QUOTE]Except for one little thing. The book on Soriano is that you never bring him into these types of situations. The game wasn't and should not have been on the line. Soriano does not pitch well in these situations and when brought in, tends to get himself in trouble in which he cannot get himself out of. Girardi knows this. Robertson was the call last night to start the 8th and if he faltered, then bring in Soriano. Snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Robertson didn't exactly come in and get the job done either

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GARCIA1. Show GARCIA1's posts

if you put TITO'S picture nest to GIRARDI'S, you would have a close approximation of the SCHMENGE BROTHERS.
    "which one of you is the brains of the outfit?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Yanks' fans, your team has put up someting like 31 runs in 5 games.  That's no fluke and no offense, but there've already been about 100 posts so far regarding Sox fans stepping too close to the edge already.  Your team dropped a tough one last night.  They're not going to lose back to back, and to be honest, the Yanks have looked very good in nearly every inning they've played.  They've only been outplayed in about three innings so far. Wish we had your kind of problems right about  now.  Boston cannot hit Cleveland's pitching. 
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is that we are turning on our team. But you need to win the games that are locks and yesterday was one of them. Plus the Yanks do need to take advantage of the Sox early fumbles because we all know the Sox are just as likely to run off a win streak of 5 plus games at any time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Girardi Blew It : jessey, I guess as a Sox fun it's kind of a nice change to be able to jump into somebody else's managerial debate. My tendency is to give the benefit of the doubt to the manager.  In this case I would ask for some hard evidence that Soriano has problems in those types of situations.  A quick glance at his career splits and game logs doesn't seem to show much.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I will never give Girardi the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the bullpen. Soriano had no business starting that inning.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Except for one little thing. The book on Soriano is that you never bring him into these types of situations. The game wasn't and should not have been on the line. Soriano does not pitch well in these situations and when brought in, tends to get himself in trouble in which he cannot get himself out of. Girardi knows this. Robertson was the call last night to start the 8th and if he faltered, then bring in Soriano. Snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

I've never really been a fan of how he handles the bullpen, except going to Mo in the 9th with a lead but a toddler can make that call.  Its another day lets hope to get something decent out of Garcia tonight. I'm debating picking up a ticket to this game but then I'd hate to waste $ if Garcia bombs......I've got tix for the next Saturday I might just pass on tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Can someone tell me where I can go to read about the Red Sox?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

Girardi has the "B" team out there, I don't quite get it with Garcia on the mound tonight we'll see.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Except for one little thing. The book on Soriano is that you never bring him into these types of situations. The game wasn't and should not have been on the line. Soriano does not pitch well in these situations and when brought in, tends to get himself in trouble in which he cannot get himself out of. Girardi knows this. Robertson was the call last night to start the 8th and if he faltered, then bring in Soriano. Snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

jessey, I guess as a Sox fan it's kind of a nice change to be able to jump into somebody else's managerial debate.

My tendency is to give the benefit of the doubt to the manager.  In this case I would ask for some hard evidence that Soriano has problems in those types of situations.  A quick glance at his career splits and game logs doesn't seem to show much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yanks' fans, your team has put up someting like 31 runs in 5 games.  That's no fluke and no offense, but there've already been about 100 posts so far regarding Sox fans stepping too close to the edge already. 

Your team dropped a tough one last night.  They're not going to lose back to back, and to be honest, the Yanks have looked very good in nearly every inning they've played.  They've only been outplayed in about three innings so far.

Wish we had your kind of problems right about now.  Boston cannot hit Cleveland's pitching. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Girardi didn't hand Sori the ball and say "walk 3 people"....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DasBabe. Show DasBabe's posts

Girardi didn't blow anything. It was Swisher's bone headed play in the outfield that did them in. If he couldn't catch it he should have at least kept it in front of him and maybe only 2 runs score.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxLose. Show SoxLose's posts

[QUOTE]I've never really been a fan of how he handles the bullpen, except going to Mo in the 9th with a lead but a toddler can make that call.  Its another day lets hope to get something decent out of Garcia tonight. I'm debating picking up a ticket to this game but then I'd hate to waste $ if Garcia bombs......I've got tix for the next Saturday I might just pass on tonight.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

I'd pass. It's probably going to be cold and rainy. Garcia is 50/50 though- and with Mauer sucking to begin the year it bodes slightly better for him. Slightly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42nyc. Show 42nyc's posts

soups, no one here is saying the season is at risk. just that there were some dissapointing choices made in a game. Not the end of the world but not great either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Nice to know people gripe about other managers. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Girardi fumbled in an interview when explaining why he brought Soriano in at that point. He said he was sticking with his game plan of Sori in the 8th, but then he said that the 9th was going to be Robertson. Someone explain that logic to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Girardi fumbled in an interview when explaining why he brought Soriano in at that point. He said he was sticking with his game plan of Sori in the 8th, but then he said that the 9th was going to be Robertson. Someone explain that logic to me.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Jess, it was because he had already made the decision to stay away from Mo..

Sections
Shortcuts