Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.

In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : Alex Rodriguez and Andre Dawson won MVP's for last place teams.  Let's not pretend you have to win the division to get the award...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

There are rare exceptions when there are no good choices on playoff teams.  In 2003, the Yankees best hitters were Posada and Giambi, and the Sox had Manny, Ortiz and Nomar.  The Twins had Shannon Stewart and the A's had Miguel Tejada.  Only Posada, Ortiz and Manny could really come close to A-Rod's production that year, and they were all defensive liabilities, while A-Rod won a GG at short while leading the league in HRs.  

It can happen, but it takes a perfect storm.  It's far more common that the best player in the league is head and shoulders above the MVP winner.  Otherwise, Ted Williams would have about a dozen of them.  In 1951, Williams led the league in both OBP and Slugging, and finished 13th in the MVP voting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.

In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : SPC people often use the "term" great a bit too much and you're known for blowing things out of proportion.  He has to do it more than once before you can be taken seriously, for now your "best" threads are just silly.
    Posted by mikeyintheboogiedown[/QUOTE]

If you're in the MVP discussion then you are having a great year.  Period. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

[QUOTE]

Lots of baseball left to play. Let's not distribute the hardware just yet. Or count any chickens... 

Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

The 1st to reach/top 100 RBI's count stands, as the century mark has always been a standard of ranking egg-cellence in that category.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.:
    [QUOTE]Curtis gets my MVP vote, and his glove is far better than some models indicate. A true five tool player coming into his own. Agon excels with a few tools himself, but I was never keen on giving MVP considerations to a guy who doesn't run out groundballs.
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

I agree that Granderson is the MVP at this point.  Unless he suddenly goes into a slump, he is probably the best candidate for MVP. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : Nobody said he wasn't having a great year.  He has to do it more than once for the best in the game stuff to even begin. Period.

You just said he's having a "good" year... I claim he's having a "grea"t year (which he is) and then you claim that his year isn't great.  He's having a great year, accept it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

In Response to Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break.:
    [QUOTE]Curtis gets my MVP vote, and his glove is far better than some models indicate. A true five tool player coming into his own. Agon excels with a few tools himself, but I was never keen on giving MVP considerations to a guy who doesn't run out groundballs.
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

A 270 hitter mvp hahahaha get real

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Granderson?  .270 ... with a slugging % of .496 ... and he is almost 100 points higher this year.  

Gonzo was .298 avg last year, but has had  plus .500 slugging percentage for the last 6 years.  And Gonzo averages over 30 HRs a year the last 5 years.

Granderson is the aberration, not Gonzo.  He never had a 100 RBI season before, only hit 30 HRs (exactly) once before ... no, Gonzo was always a hitting star.

Are you trying to say Gonzo wasn't?

RBI by Gonzo ... ties Granderson at 103 .... bye bye Curtis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

If Ells gets to 30HR and something like 45 SB's he'll be in the conversation but I think the award goes to Bautista, Granderson or AGon ... in no particular order.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo 5 Hrs in 3 days.

Keep dismissing him.  He still has the most hits and highest BA, and most total bases.   And will pass granderson in RBIs soon.  

The slump is over, get used to it ... Gonzo is back.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]Gonzo always hit, explain Granderson?  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Whats his career BA?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : Mr. Jim Cranky Davis, if all you "care about is the playoffs and advancing" you haven't had a care in the world since 2008. Granderson is having a spectacular season, as is Agon, and the point was simple enough. Agon appeared to be on a path to easily end the season leading the league in RBI's, that is no longer the case. Should this board have been shut down once the Red Sox were swept out in 2009?
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a tool?!  There have been plenty of worthwhile conversations on the forum.  This just doesn't happen to be one of them.  Of course the Sox have not advanced in the playoffs beyond the first round since 2008.  That's why I care about it.  Because of that fact, who wins the MVP means little to me. So, you tried to make your argument but instead made mine.  Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from *The-Babe*. Show *The-Babe*'s posts

[QUOTE]Agon has - 49 more hits, 70 points better in Average, 18 more doubles, 45 less strike outs, better OBO, 14 more total bases Granderson has - 30 more runs, 7 more triples, 23 more stolen bases, everthing else is close......I think Agon wins it if the season eneded today

Posted by davescout[/QUOTE]

You forgot that Granderson has more RBI's and a better SLG%....the difference in OPS is negligible.

Last I checked the object of a batter is to generate runs. The fact that Granderson has generated 31 more runs than agon is huge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Baustista. Ave: .314 OBP: .454 Slug: .649 Home Runs: 37 RBIs and Runs Bautista cannot control, he's the MVP in every definition, performance definitely, team performance, I think there's no arguing that Toronto is a below 500 team without him. You shouldn't have to wear a Sox, or Yankees jersey to win the MVP.      
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

This is only partly true.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

1. Bautista (hgh?)
    2. Granderson (hgh?)
    3. AGon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]moremo, i love Grandy and the season he's having, but 5 tools?...gotta say that's a bit of a reach...terrific player, a big reason the Yanks have remained near the top..just don't think he'd rank in he upper tier of throwers..still he's everything i though he'd be as a player...as for AG...does it really matter how long it took with those sick numbers?...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Granderson, BTW he has 119 Runs scored; this exceeds the 2nd closest player by 26 runs (Ellsbury, at 93); nothing to sneeze at. FWIW, I think Gonzo is the MVP, but leave it to a few RS fans to not give a Yankee his due; he worked hard with Kevin Long, (considered arguably the best hitting coach in the game) since last yr to improve vs lefties, which has been a successful adjustment. And, although I don't agree with him, long time RS columnist Peter Gammons says Granderson is the MVP, at least so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : I just threw out a topic that was discussed on Dennis and Callahan... What's wrong with that?  This is a Red Sox forum.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong with that other than you do that all the time when you know better.  You're a smart baseball guy SPC (not as smart as you think) but you know the game and you know that Ellsbury has to do this more than once more than twice even to be considered The Best in the game.  You had a thread that Jon Lester was the best this season and quite a few others, you're motive?  I'm not gonna speculate on that but you do it often even when you yourself know its not true.....Sox fans have even said that about your best of threads.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

GONZO!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : You mean like ellsbury?
    Posted by *The-Babe*[/QUOTE]

Looks like sour puss is digging deep for ways to bash Ellsbury...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

MVP this year should go to Jacoby Ells. with his OPS

Not many MVP's have OPS in .800's. Not going to happen and delusional wishful thinking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo always hit, explain Granderson?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : I was just asking about AGon...I suppose if you're throwing the PED thing at Yankees, playing at Fenway Park explains the dramatic increase in AGon's batting average. Unless he was a .350 hitter before? Or PED's have nothing to do with batting average?  To be honest, I think neither him nor Granderson are on PED's...this argument is silly.

FYI, Gonzalez is hitting .336 right now away from Fenway.  Last year he hit .315 away from Petco.  The year before, .306.  There is not as much deviation as you think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : You just said he's having a "good" year... I claim he's having a "grea"t year (which he is) and then you claim that his year isn't great.  He's having a great year, accept it.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I never said he wasn't having a great year, so are some other players and others aren't starting threads about them possibly being the best in the game even if they have done it more than once.  He has to do it again for the best stuff to be taken seriously.  Period.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Granderson beats Agon to 100 RBI's. No easy task with the numbers Agon had at the mid season break. : Maybe so, but it looks like someone else is trying to put him in the HOF a little prematurely.

Ummm... no.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]1. Bautista (hgh?) 2. Granderson (hgh?) 3. AGon
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

How do you label these guys on HGH? Did you ever read the Sports Illustrated article on what turned Bautista around in September 2009?

And if you label Bautista and Granderson as hgh question marks, why not Gonzo?