1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjb58. Show rjb58's posts

I assume Theo will go after BJ Upton now!

Whenever there has been a thorn in the Red Sox butt from the Rays Theo signs them so he doesn't have to pitch to them anymore...
    Julio Lugo...
    Carl Crawford....
    We'll probaby see Upton in right field next year!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ttommiejo. Show ttommiejo's posts

Re: I assume Theo will go after BJ Upton now!

Are you out of your mind?  I see this bozo every other night & to be honest with you on strikeouts he eithers swings at bad pitches or he just stands there & looks at them.  If you ask me If Theo goes after this clown the boys in the white coats need to go after Theo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why the world Theo wanted him if Upston is going to be a two months rental and become a free agent after this season??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: I assume Theo will go after BJ Upton now!:
    [QUOTE]Why the world Theo wanted him if Upston is going to be a two months rental and become a free agent after this season??
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Uconn, 

I don't understand why some people including Trotter are so hot on BJ Upton. He barely hits 50-60 points over his weight in the .230s-.240s with an OBS that is pathetic, strikes 160 times a year and doesn't walk much. Granted he steals about 40 a year but otherwise I don't see it. 

Hetch 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't want BJ Upton here now or next year, but the Rays would love to dump his salary, and they are also shopping Shields. The Rays need a catcher badly. I'll take the salary dump Upton in order to get Shields.

Trade:
    Sweeney
    Lavarnway
    Iglesias
    Ranaudo
    Travis Shaw
    Coyle

For:
    Shields
    Upton

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnsoxcat. Show mnsoxcat's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want BJ Upton here now or next year, but the Rays would love to dump his salary, and they are also shopping Shields. The Rays need a catcher badly. I'll take the salary dump Upton in order to get Shields. Trade: Sweeney Lavarnway Iglesias Ranaudo Travis Shaw Coyle For: Shields Upton
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Moon,

Why give up so much if the Rays want to dump him?  How about Shoppach and and Iglesias for Shields and upton, with no cash?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shields is under team control for sevral years at a relatively low cost for most teams, but not for the Rays.

We have to offer more than most teams to get him.

I'd try to offer my deal without Shaw, but I think the Rays would want him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Upton would do better in Fenway, far better than CC

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sure our resident Trotskyite would still rather have BJ than Jake....

anyone but Jake.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jake and the Fat Man

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to I assume Theo will go after BJ Upton now!:
    [QUOTE]Whenever there has been a thorn in the Red Sox butt from the Rays Theo signs them so he doesn't have to pitch to them anymore... Julio Lugo... Carl Crawford.... We'll probaby see Upton in right field next year!!!
    Posted by rjb58[/QUOTE]

I bet $10,000 on not going after Upton.  How much are you putting on the Sox going after him next year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Get BJ and the bear

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]PawSox is 5th out of 14 teams in the International League in Pitching. Last night 2 hit Shutout, be careful about getting rid of Lavarnway. He is making great strides behind the plate. In all aspects, game calling, defense, and throwing out runners.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

It is rare that 24 year old catchers are good enough in key aspects of being a MLB catcher.

Lavarnway wasn't even a catcher all his years at Yale.

What evidence do you have that he is improving "in all aspects, game calling, defense, and throwing out runners." ?

I hope he does. Salty is only under control through 2013. Swihart is promising, but far away.

I don't want to trade Lava, but we have to give some to get some, and I doubt TB wants Salty with his upcoming big arb and just 1.3 years of service remaining.

Shields may not be the answer, but I mentioned this trade possibility knowing they need catching help and are looking to move salary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Stay out of the Rays dumpster. They have a wealth of young talnet from years of being losers and can't afford to field a title contender. They know their players better than anyone, so Shileds and BJ are in the dumpser for a reason. Red Sox need to keep Sweeney, their best defensive OF"er by far. They need to acquire Justin Upton by offering: Ellsbury + their pick of 3 or 4 from the following pool of players Aviles Salty Anyone on the farm but Barnes, Bradley, Jr, Lavarnway and Iglesias Because Ellsbury is worth Type A compensation if the DBacks decide to pass on the FA bidding at the end of 2013, the DBacks will be able to take this package and turn it into Ellsbury and the prospects and young players the DBacks want via 3rd party if needed. The DBacks will be able to sell ticketsand more advertising and intellectual property licensing over the next 1.4 years to see Ellsbury play NL ball as a base stealer type of side show and a new face in town. Upton is a FA one year after Ellsbury, so it gives the DBacks more flexiblity and improves a losing status quo they have now. 2012 2-Month & change OF LF  Crawford/Ross/Nava CF Sweeney/Ross (True platoon with Sweeney defensive sub for Ross) RF J. UPton/Ross/Nava If Crawford goes back on goldbricker list, Pods would take his place for rest of 2012 2013  LF  Crawford/Ross/Nava CF Sweeney/Ross  RF J. UPton/Ross/Nava If Bradley Jr. is ready during 2013, park Nava in AAA as long as possible and keep Sweeney. Nava's trade value is less than his value as OF depth in the minors for as long as possible until they have to trade him due to CBA clock factors. Sweeney is the best defensive OF'er I've seen since Evans. He's cheap, has low trade value, and has much more value as a platoon 4th./5th OF'er until his CBA clock runs down near the end.  
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

The case has been made many times trading Ellsbury is necessary because the Sox are very unlikely to keep him--he's gone after 2013.    But most of us agree Ellsbury's best use is as trade bait for a good starter and even admit Ellsbury by himself won't be enough.   

What is this fixation on Justin Upton, who is an average to above average right fielder and nothing special? His fangraphs rating (2.0) is just a tad better than Cody Ross (1.7). 

Last year Ellsbury was second in AL MVP voting--ahead of all other position players--and also won a gold glove. If he can't be used to help get a good starter, I would be all for keeping him because by the end of 2013 Bradley just might be ready to take over in CF.   If everyone else is as scared as we are about negotiating with Boras, Ellsbury won't bring what he is worth in a trade. 

And you not only want to give up Ellsbury for almost nothing, you want to sweeten the pot with a starting catcher and other goodies. For a right fielder whose primary virtue is he is young and hit over 30 dingers last year. But this year with well over half the season gone, he has 8 dingers.    He has flash in the pan written all over him. 

But, most of all, I don't understand your insistence on spending big time (in players, no salary) for a rightfielder when the biggest need is starting pitching. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]And you not only want to give up Ellsbury for almost nothing J. Upton isn't "nothing". The Red Sox lose over 80% of their games iin 2012 when scoring 3ER or less. The Red Sox win over 80% of their games in 2012 when scoring 4ER or more. The Red Sox don't need to chase another Mr. Goodbar starting pitcher like the Mets and other graveyard teams. But, Felix is the only starting pitcher to even consider offering anything decent in a trade. As long as Cherry is going to sit on his hands, dealing Beckett and Ellsbury et al minor parts for Felix would be better than the losing status quo.

Upton has hands that aren't like a butcher and graceful feet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy bashed me years ago for wanting Matt Holliday. He said he wasn't än elite hitter". Getting the RH'd Holliday would have prevented the CC signing.

I'd love to have Upton on our team. He turns 25 soon, and should get better, but there's just no way Arizona trades Justin for Jacoby, Salty, Aviles and some prospects not named Barnes or Bradley.

AZ would trade Justin for prospects or players under team control beyond 2013, otherwise, they'd keep what they have. They might take Lava to replace a departing Montero and Bradley to replace Upton longterm, but teams unloading talent at the deadline don't want players who will be gone in 1.3 years. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd take any Upton...right-handed power hitter

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]And you not only want to give up Ellsbury for almost nothing J. Upton isn't "nothing". The Red Sox lose over 80% of their games iin 2012 when scoring 3ER or less. The Red Sox win over 80% of their games in 2012 when scoring 4ER or more. The Red Sox don't need to chase another Mr. Goodbar starting pitcher like the Mets and other graveyard teams. But, Felix is the only starting pitcher to even consider offering anything decent in a trade. As long as Cherry is going to sit on his hands, dealing Beckett and Ellsbury et al minor parts for Felix would be better than the losing status quo.
    Yes, compared to Ellsbury, the two Uptons put together are "nothing".