Old Timers Game (1978 Yankees vs. Red Sox)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Old Timers Game (1978 Yankees vs. Red Sox)

I was wondering what the outcome of an old-timers game between the 1978 rosters of the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox would be.

SP:  Bill Lee could finally get the start that should have always been his - which is good news for us because he is still actually pitching.  Ron Guidry probably isn't.  Advantage:  Red Sox (big time)

RP:  Bill Campbell at 62 years young likely has not improved any since his arm troubles began back in 1978, whereas "Goose" Gossage known for his fastball and quick delivery is still apt to scare and overwhelm the aging Sox line-up. In reserve is Boston's Eck-man and I know he can still find the plate, Sparky Lyle provides some laughs for NY. Advantage:  Yankees

1B:  George Scott is bigger than a hot air balloon, so I am going to put Yaz in there as his days in LF are by now over.  Chris Chambliss is in there for NY - even at 62 he still retains his sharpness by being a MLB hitting coach.  I hate to say it but  - Advantage:  Yankees

2B:  Jerry Remy still seems quite spry on NESN, with NY's Brian Doyle having only one career HR I have to think he is even more useless now. Advantage: Red Sox

SS:  The Rooster vs. Bucky Dent.  I will call this a draw based on Rooster's rotator cuff and the simple fact I despise Dent - their career numbers and age are essentially the same.  Advantage:  Draw

3B:  We have Butch Hobson vs. Craig Nettles.  While Hobson still looks great Nettles remains a solid fielder and though his range has diminished so has Yaz's ability to hit the ball past the pitchers mound; Nettles can still catch Yaz's pop-up's. Advantage: Yankees

CA:  Not to be cruel but this one is obvious.  Fisk still looks like he could drive a ball off the Wall and ... well frankly Munson is dead.  The Yankees are forced to use Mike Heath - Advantage:  Red Sox

OF:  Lynn, Rice, and Evans vs. White, Pinella, Rivers.  Jim Rice (like Fisk) still looks like he can hit the Monster or even drive one off Pesky Pole. Dewey likely can still snag a fly, as can Freddie.  The average age of the Red Sox OF is 59 and the Yankees OF is 66 (they are all on medicare). Advantage: Red Sox

DH:  I will put Boomer in this spot out of necessity as Bob Bailey scares me even more than then, and he is up against Mr. October.  I won't even bother here as Reggie is still a threat - Advantage:  Yankees

Manager:  Zimmer vs. Billy Martin.  Hmmm....  Zimmer with protective helmet and all is finally a match for the late great Martin.  NY could go with Dick Howser or Bob Lemon but they are dead too.  The Gerbal finally cannot be beat. Advantage:  Red Sox   

Overall it is the Red Sox with an easy victory.  The fact Bill Lee is still throwing strikes allows him to mow down the Yankee line-up.  Rice and Fisk provide the power, with Reggie Jacksons ego providing the only legitimate threat for the Yankees.  The rudderless Empire (no manager or owner) has no real chance. Boston 3 - New York 0, in six.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Old Timers Game (1978 Yankees vs. Red Sox)

Bill Lee takes out Rivers and Nettles with chinese stars before this hypothetical contest even gets under way.  So, strike them from the Yankee roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ROFL!  Sweet!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

This degrades to a bean ball war very early.

My money is on gossage until he gets ejected.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sloooooow bean ball you mean?  "ouch that hurt," followed by a a slow footed march to the mound to engage in some air punches,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

As much as  I like Lee, I'd start Eck before him. And I'd still take Tiant in a clutch situation at any age.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

BUMP

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jackson was suspended for the game...another break for the Sox!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dent is actually in pretty good shape, I saw an interview with him and he's in playing shape that SOB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yeah, I'm going with Tiant cuz I saw Lee get torched by that Cuban team in his documentary

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

In Response to Re: Old Timers Game (1978 Yankees vs. Red Sox):
    [QUOTE]Dent is actually in pretty good shape, I saw an interview with him and he's in playing shape that SOB
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Looks are deceiving on B. F. Dent.  I was at Old Timers Day at Yankee stadium earlier this month, and he couldn't move much.  One ball went under his glove and on another he olay'd a easy grounder.

Chambliss and White looked good, so Spaceman needs to work carefully to them.  Guidry pitched an inning and was hit pretty hard.  Seems there's little lightning left in the arm.

I also saw both Rice and Evans signing autographs on the Monster on July 7, and they looked ready to rock.  Advantage Sox.