1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Red Sox want to trade Josh Beckett

We wouldn't trade Middlebrooks, but these guys can play 3B:
    Aviles
    Ciriaco
    Bogaerts
    Cecchini

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

We have absolutely ZERO shot at getting Lee!!!  ZERO!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade Josh Beckett:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade Josh Beckett : Trading Beckett is addition by subtraction.  I dont care if they pay all of his salary.  His attitude is poison to the team.  Garza, Dempster, and Johnson are not answers for the sox who can easily move Franklin Morales back into the rotation and then have Andrew Bailey come off the DL to replace him in the bullpen.  Dont give up the prospects who are our future for a middle of the road pitcher. Our Future: Pedro Ciriaco (SS, 2B, or Utility Infielder) Ryan Kalish (RF) Daniel Nava (back up outfielder) Jackie Bradley Jr. (CF) Ryan Lavarnway (DH/Backup Catcher/should learn 1B to be a backup) Jose Iglesias (SS) great defensively, weak hitter Xander Bogaerts (SS) tremendous hitter Matt Barnes (SP) Anthony Ranaudo (SP) Mixed with... Clay Buchholz (SP) Jon Lester (SP) Felix Doubront (SP) John Lackey (SP) Andrian Gonzalez (1B) Jarrod Saltalamachia (C) Dustin Pedroia (2B) Carl Crawford (LF)   Now thats a pretty good team.
    Posted by sox4life2280[/QUOTE]

You can add Tazawa to the rotation...Since his TJS hes throwing between 94-96mph consistantly...He already had great secondary stuff and now with the 3-4mph gained on his FB he would be a solid addition in this rotation IMO...I was at the game Lester gave up 11 runs and JT was making hitters look stupid up there...He the sleeper nobody is considering...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Phils looking for 3rd baseman, good trade for both teams. Lee in Texas makes them Frontrunners for WS. They want to win now.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

But Lee isnt having a good year this year with the Phillies.  He is just like Beckett/Lester this year!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Cafardo ‏ @ nickcafardo Just asked Ben Cherington whether reports of him trying to move Josh Beckett were accurate and he said no.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

All The FUN Is Gone NOW..............

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Cafardo ‏ @ nickcafardo Just asked Ben Cherington whether reports of him trying to move Josh Beckett were accurate and he said no.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

What's Ben going to say, Yes?  Of course he is going to say no.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Beckett for Blanton, straight up ... throw in Els ....

Juuuuuuust kidding .....

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I like the stuff above from Peter Abraham.

I find it hard to believe, however, the Sox are serious about unloading Josh Beckett.  To my way of thinking, that's just too hard right now without covering a huge chunk of his salary, not just in 2012, but for another 2 or 3 years.  That is not at all the same as covering Youk's salary in 2012 only to allow Middlebrooks to be the full-time thirdbaseman, a  position he had already shown he was ready to play at the MLB level.

The Sox are starting pitching poor.  Beckett has stunk it up this year, but last year--not five years ago or three years ago or two years ago--last year he had an ERA of under 3.  He doesn't throw the 97 mph fastball anymore, but that's OK because in 2006 opposing teams loved it almost as much as he did and drove his ERA that year up to 5.01. If he will use and spot the curve and the changeup competently, his fastball and cutter are good enough. 

Right now there is no really good replacement for Beckett in the Sox system.  Short term, Morales might work, but he is theoretically the backup for Doubront when he runs out of innings, probably in August.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

< Back to front pageText size  +

Cherington: Red Sox not trying to trade Beckett

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  July 30, 2012 01:13 PM

The non-waivers trade deadline is approximately 27 hours away. Here's the latest on the Red Sox:

• Josh Beckett's name is out there, but Nick Cafardo spoke to Ben Cherington and he shot down the idea that the Sox were trying to trade the righthander.

• The Red Sox are not entertaining offers on Jon Lester. "He's staying," a team source said.

• The Red Sox are trying to turn their outfield, bullpen and catching depth into trade chips according to several other teams. Players like Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Sweeney, Matt Albers, and Andrew Miller could be of interest to contenders looking to improve their bench or bullpen.

The Sox can afford to trade a reliever or two knowing that Andrew Bailey is returning and that pitchers such as Clayton Mortensen and Junichi Tazawa have shown they are capable of pitching in the majors.

• The re-emergence of LHP Drake Britton and RHP Stolmy Pimentel as prospects this season could prove valuable on the trade market as throw-ins.

• Bringing back Justin Masterson from Cleveland appears to interest the Red Sox.

• Think Joe Blanton would help? The Phillies are offering him around.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Then we can all just forget who is going to be traded.  No one is going to be traded except these bench players such as Sweetney, Prunto, Shoppach, etc to make a room for Big Papi/Bailey when he come off of DL!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

My dream would be to trade Beckett, & throw in Lackey + Dice-K.  Sure, we'd have to subsidise 99% of the latter two contracts, and 60% of Beckett's, but it would absolutely be addition by subtraction.

3 PLUS moves.

Lackey is the biggest problem in that clubhouse!!!!  IMO  This guy should never have been let near the door after last year!  HE IS RADIOACTIVE!  HE was the lynchpin for bringing the entire rotation down into the s hitter!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]My dream would be to trade Beckett, & throw in Lackey + Dice-K.  Sure, we'd have to subsidise 99% of the latter two contracts, and 60% of Beckett's, but it would absolutely be addition by subtraction. 3 PLUS moves. Lackey is the biggest problem in that clubhouse!!!!  IMO  This guy should never have been let near the door after last year!  HE IS RADIOACTIVE!  HE was the lynchpin for bringing the entire rotation down into the s hitter!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what is going on in the clubhouse--nor do I. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade Josh Beckett : You have no idea what is going on in the clubhouse--nor do I. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I know beyond a shaddow of a doubt that LACKEY was the key to the downfall!  ZERO QUESTION!  Beckett jumped on board with the s crew them (the media & fans who turned on Lackey) attitude, & the two of them sucked Lester in.  It's beyond dispute!  Not provable yet, but it will come out eventually..... 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Any trade the sox make should not include paying Becketts salary. I hated the Youk deal. We are paying him to play for the white sox. Come on that is ludicrous. I would never have done the Youk trade unless there was no money involved. Especially for the crap Ben got back for him. The GMs are going fleece Ben every chance they get because he is the new guy on the block. It's time to stand up and be counted Ben. Get some flex in the payroll so you fix the sad sack team. Paying salary to play elsewhere isn't going to do it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Red Sox want to trade Josh Beckett : I know beyond a shaddow of a doubt that LACKEY was the key to the downfall!  ZERO QUESTION!  Beckett jumped on board with the s crew them (the media & fans who turned on Lackey) attitude, & the two of them sucked Lester in.  It's beyond dispute!  Not provable yet, but it will come out eventually..... 
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Hey!  I heard it from my sister-in-law's uncle's cousin's father, who knows a guy who once cut Lackey's mother's hair.  :)

Don't doubt me!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Beckett should have trade value w/ out having to eat a lot of salary.  We don't need blue chip prospect in return, but perhaps a high risk high ceiling guy, the same type we have been going for early in the last couple drafts.  In addition to Rangers and Braves, there are a handful of other teams that want to go deep into the playoffs and need a guy who has proven it in the playoofs before to slide into the 3-4 slot in the rotation.  Plus he is so stubborn that a change of scenery will do him wonders when he wants to prove others wrong.  Mark my words, he would help a playoff team as much as Greinke will or Lee, Dempster or Johnson would.