1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mefla. Show mefla's posts

Was this the greatest World Series of all time?

Been hearing a lot of that from the FOX, ESPN and Baseball Tonight crews. A great series, no doubt. But best ever?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

Re: Was this the greatest World Series of all time?

These things are so subjective, but it certainly was a great one.  Seven games and lots of drama down the wire.  Game six was phenomenal.  It certainly doesn't get much better if you are a baseball fan, unless of course, the Sox were in it and won in seven.  Well, gotta go, Popeye's is opening at 10.  Gotta get me some chicken and biscuits before the blizzard.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnFann. Show FinnFann's posts

Davetheknave- '04 really?  That series was a sweep.  I liked the outcome too, but the series was a snooze.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

Without Sox... who cares?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vanlinglemungo. Show vanlinglemungo's posts

It's up there among the best in my memory, but you have to place it in comparison with the 1991 series that went 7 games between the Twins and the Braves with one of the best game 7's ever. Then you have 1986 (sorry), 1975, 1960 (Pirates over the Yankees in 7 with perhaps the best game 7), certainly 1956 (Larsen's perfect game), and the 1955 series representing Brooklyn's first and only win in 7 games with memorable plays throughout.

This one had drama, Pujols' glorious game 3, the Cards refusing to die in Game 6, and an odd assortment of great plays, errors, timely hitting, solid relief pitching, and Chris Carpenter. The best in 20 years in my opinion, but not the very best ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasBogger. Show TexasBogger's posts

It's a tired cliche, but valid.  Without historical perspective, time to "season" the impact, it's too early to make the call.  Game six certainly ranks at the top of the all-time list for one game but I'm not convinced the entire series gets the nod.  I too recall '67, Lonborg and Gibson etc. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mantazz. Show Mantazz's posts

Best one I've seen since 2001.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

1975 was the greatest world series of all time.  It really isn't even close.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Terrenski. Show Terrenski's posts

Although I think it was a great one, I don't think it was the best. With all the walks and errors (Nelson Cruz should have had the catch in Game 6 of Freese's triple) it was definitely a sloppy one. Too many great ones in the past. Plus how many people even watched it? Its too bad because in year's past, everyone watched it and talked about it. I teach and only heard one student even mention the game. Sad for baseball.... but great to end on an exciting series!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bills64. Show bills64's posts

1924 should be considered.  A bad hop single in extra innings of the 7th game won it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadAMX. Show BigBadAMX's posts

I was on a cruise during the series, the tv was on in the bar, but only saw a couple of people watching it. If I wasn't walking through the bar, I would have completely forgotten that it was on.

Well, the newspaper said it was good, so I guess it must be true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwTessie. Show mwTessie's posts

It will definitely be a memorable one and long talked about series with Cruz becoming the new Bill Buckner 25 years later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaquino. Show kaquino's posts

64 series was great too.  St. Louis vs Yankees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JC126. Show JC126's posts

It was a fantastic series, but "best ever" would be a subjective title conferred by the different teams' fans. I will pick 2004 as my best ever WS, as a Sox fan. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from smarys. Show smarys's posts

The number of people watching a WS has nothing to do with whether it was a WS.  I think we're talking about overall excitement and drama.....good plays (and the bad ones that come with the game).

Had a checkle over this: I will pick 2004 as my best ever WS, as a Sox fan.   Since they only have two titles in your lifetime, that is not saying much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsmith78. Show bsmith78's posts

Honestly, why do we feel the need to define something so subjective? Can we all agree that it was a phenomenal series, worthy of being mentioned among other great series in history and then just move on?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from funforme8. Show funforme8's posts

In Response to Re: Was this the greatest World Series of all time?:
    [QUOTE]The talking heads always say something is the "best ever" - until the next "best ever" thing comes along. I'd put the '67 and '04 contests ahead of this one.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

04 was only great for Sox fans. It really wasn't that enjoyable. I loved it, don't get me wrong. But This series by far trumps it. I'm a baseball fan first. And seeing two teams battle it out trumps a team running away with a series and beating the crap out of another team any day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from funforme8. Show funforme8's posts

In Response to Re: Was this the greatest World Series of all time?:
    [QUOTE]Although I think it was a great one, I don't think it was the best. With all the walks and errors (Nelson Cruz should have had the catch in Game 6 of Freese's triple) it was definitely a sloppy one. Too many great ones in the past. Plus how many people even watched it? Its too bad because in year's past, everyone watched it and talked about it. I teach and only heard one student even mention the game. Sad for baseball.... but great to end on an exciting series!!
    Posted by Terrenski[/QUOTE]

21 million people watched it. Considering it wasn't the Yankees or the Sox (the series with the highest ratings usually) it was AWESOME!!! A LOT ofpeople are talking about it and watching it... It was on at parties all over Boston last night.

this was a great series, and even though I am a fan of the Sox and Phillies, I think it was better because they weren't in it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbler. Show bubbler's posts

game 6 was one of the best ever games, but i think for overall drama, '01, '91, and '75 might be better as a whole series.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seckert. Show seckert's posts

1991, Twins-Braves, and 2001, D`Backs-Yanks. Two best in the modern era.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bean-Pat. Show Bean-Pat's posts

It was a great one to watch. And the Cardinals' improbable run during September and October (made possible by Atlanta's colossal collapse) is one for the ages. But I certainly wouldn't rank the Series geatest ever.

Glad 1991 has been mentioned by others. That WS produced 3 extra-inning contests and 5 outcomes decided by 1-run -- inclusive of the best Game 7 ever.

footnote: Too bad most locals missed the 2011 WS. Once again we learn that Red Sox fans aren't really baseball fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

LET ME PUT THIS WAY A TRUE CLASSIC !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

The 2011 WS was very good, and Game 6 looms large as a classic for all-time. However, there were too many errors, stranded runners, and other associated sloppiness for this to rank as The Greatest.

Plus, I will always be biased and claim 2004 as Wicked Best Evaah (actually, the 2004 ALCS was our WorldSeries, and THAT was EPIC!)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Game 6 was surreal. Now the rangers have their "game 6". Measured for bridemaids' duds again.

Late inning Defensive repacements in the outfield would be a start. that was terrible.

Sections
Shortcuts