1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?

Am curious how many responses you will get on this board, as opposed to the On the Front Burner board.

My favorite on TV is simple, Game 4 of the 2004 World Series.  Enough said.

My favorite on radio was the Lynn 3 HR game vs Detroit where the Sox won 15-1.  I was lying in bed in the hospital at the time, having had an apendectomy. 

In person, I remember my first game, one that I have recounted a few times on this and other boards.  1967, we left while the Sox were down 5-2 in the 9th, Sox won 6-5 in 10 innings.  I was a very angry 6-year old boy that we left.

Another was the game where the Sox hit into 2 triple plays against the Twins, but still won 1-0.  Was sitting behind home plate (though many rows back). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

My favorite memory is taking my seat in CF bleachers and telling my brothers "We wont be catching any HR balls today". Then in first inning Bo Jackson came up and hit the first pitch over our head and at least 15 rows over our head.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Sitting in the bleachers watching Luis Tiant win his 20th. It was raining that day and I shared my rain poncho with the elderly gentlemen sitting next to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommyjaye. Show tommyjaye's posts

It's ancient history (the 60's),  but watching the Sox come back from a 12-4 deficit to the old Washington Senators with a 2 out and nobody on ninth inning rally to win 13-12.  It was just a few years before the 67' Impossible Dream.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff-bagwell. Show jeff-bagwell's posts

Yaz' popup landing in Nettles' glove in '78.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff-bagwell. Show jeff-bagwell's posts

George Scott swinging at high heat from Gibson to end '67 Series. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff-bagwell. Show jeff-bagwell's posts

Yaz' fly ball landing in Geronimo's glove to end '75 Series.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    Yaz' fly ball landing in Geronimo's glove to end '75 Series.
    Posted by jeff-bagwell

Hey Idiot, go whine on a Yankee board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from budsox10. Show budsox10's posts

Bernie Carbo's 3-run homer to straight away centerfield in game 6 of the 75 Series and watching him round the bases and raise his arms as he crossed the plate!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whenever. Show whenever's posts

SORRY, I thought it said my favorite Sex Memory, my bad.....I'll go read another section.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from riverrats1. Show riverrats1's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    It's ancient history (the 60's),  but watching the Sox come back from a 12-4 deficit to the old Washington Senators with a 2 out and nobody on ninth inning rally to win 13-12.  It was just a few years before the 67' Impossible Dream.
    Posted by tommyjaye

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from riverrats1. Show riverrats1's posts

The game you mention was 8-5 going into the ninth inning and Washington scored four times in the ninth.  The Red Sox scored eight in the ninth to win 13-12.  The finishing touch was a Jim Pagliaroni walk off grand slam.  I was sitting in the center field bleachers.  I believe I still have my score card.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griff1. Show Griff1's posts

cdnsoxpatceltbrufan:  It would be almost impossible to beat 10/27/04 -[first WS  win in 86 years] but game seven in NY, enroute to that historic win in St Louis,  so satisfying and emotional, will forever be my favourite game.  Winning the series against the Yankees,after all the derogatory remarks made by that team after game three, is a memory I'll cherish for the rest of my days.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princerox. Show princerox's posts

It has to be the Dave Roberts stolen base and tieing run that turned the ALCS around in '04 and changed the fortunes of our "lovable losers".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxkillme. Show soxkillme's posts

Hendu's Bomb in 86.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

got to go with my first live Sox game.  In 87, went to see Clemens pitch and then went to a dinner in his honor (Univ. of Texas thing) afterwards.  Got to meet him and get autographs. 

Too bad I can't stand him now otherwise it would be an even better memory.

Favorite memory of all time was seeing Foulke flip to Mientkiewicz for the win.  Was number for a week and in denial about what I saw. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS.  I was watching it live om MLB in my office at work in Taiwan.  It was late a.m.  my time.

I went nuts, acting like an 8 year old, jumping up and down in glee and amazement that we had erased a 3 game deficit to "Shock the world".

Nothing can top it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

Going to a game in the 80's and paying 3.00 in the bleachers that were half empty.
    kickiing back with a dog and a beer enjoying the game.Can't even remeber if they won.Fenway is great anytime.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

As a cub scout, saw a game with my dad and saw Ted Williams hit two doubles  - rocket line drives - off the left field wall - 1958.

Saw Rogelio Moret pitch a one-hitter with no walks and twelve strikeouts vs Chicago White Sox in 1974.  The only hit was an infield (to SS) single by all-star Richie Allen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from celt16. Show celt16's posts

The depressed expressions on every Yankee fans face as they watched the Red Sox win game 7 of the '04 ALCS and erase a 3 game to 0 series deficit.  Their sad expressions was in a word PRICELESS!!!!!  I loved that the cameras made sure that all of America could see those blank and sick expressions!!!!

A-Gon and Crawford...a little Yankee medicine for their fans to chew on this off season!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Going to this game in 1975 as a teenager (school vacation week) on a whim with my older brother. Got to see Hank Aaron play, albeit as the DH. Attendance 7,643 the day after opening day. We parked on a side street next to Fenway and paid two bucks for bleacher seats at the window. Boxscore here:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS197504090.shtml

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnaddar1. Show johnaddar1's posts

I absolutely agree that 2004 is my favorite memory.  However, in 1961, the Red Sox were losing 12 to 5 to Washington Senators with two outs in the ninth inning at Fenway.  They rallied to score eight runs and win the game in the bottom of the ninth.  I still remember this game as it was on TV on a Sunday afternoon.  Pete Runnells, Jim Pagliaroni and Gary Geiger were on this team.  I think Willie Tasby was a contributor in the nonth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dillard45. Show dillard45's posts

In Response to What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    This post is meant to help us through the off-season by trading our favorite memory from games we have observed in person/in the papers/on TV/radio. My favorite memory was Spring Training, seeing the Sox play the Tigers.  Johnny Pesky gave two broken bats to my brother and I , Jim Rice and Juan Beniquez. That same game Pudge got hit by a pitch and broke his hand. I collected autographs from Pesky, McCarver, Mario Guerrero, Mgr. Johnson.The sun was warm, the players friendly and other than Pudge getting hurt, a great way to escape the New Jesey winter.
    Posted by LeftyGrove

Lefty I remember watching a Sox-Yanks game from the early 70s, when both teams were starting to be good again. Thurmon Munson barrels into Carlton Fisk at home plate and all hell breaks loose. Big Bob Veale stomps out of the Sox pen and things settle down. Mario Guererro (a former Yankee) gets a hit off Sparky Lyle (former Sox) to win the game for Boston. Of course, Sparky came back to haunt the Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Johnny Damon's grand-slam in game 7 of the '04 ALCS.  It was the final dagger through the heart of the Yankees!!!!!!! I love the video of Yankee pitcher Vazques tossing his arms up in disgust even before Damon's shot landed in the upper deck!!!!!
    Posted by whofan

Ditto.  At that moment, I was by the entrance to a bar in Manhattan, and you could here the swell of Sox fans cheers echoing through the streets and avenues of New York .. and then ... silence.  AWESOME.

Sections
Shortcuts