1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewartredsox. Show stewartredsox's posts

Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?

Watching the Mets come back in game 6 of the 86 world series. I was watching it with my brother who has since passed. I am very happy he had that time with his team. It killed me but I will never forget his smile.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

On June 18, 1977, in the middle game of what would prove to be a three-game series sweep by the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park, Martin pulled Jackson off the field (replacing him with Paul Blair) in mid-inning for failing to hustle and catch a shallow outfield fly ball by Jim Rice, allowing Rice to reach second base. The extremely angry and highly animated Martin had to be restrained by his coaches from getting into a fight with Jackson in the dugout during the nationally-televised Saturday afternoon game.

This was my first Red Sox /Yankees game. I paid a scalper $10 for a standing room only ticket in the right field stands. I will never forget that moment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Going to my first game in 1968. (10 yrs old) I will keep that vision in my brain till the day i go.  Next was going to game 6 of the 75 World Series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevepatron. Show stevepatron's posts

My best memory was more for me then the game itself. For my sons 29th birthday, I flew him up from Florida to Boston too see his first Red Sox game at Fenway Park. I picked him up at the airport and went right to Fenway. He has been a Red Sox fan all his life but has never been to Fenway. The look on his face was pricless when he walked out into the stands and down to the third row from the feild between home plate and the visitors doughout. I't is not only one of my greatest memories, it is also one of his. The Sox beat the Angles Lester faced Randy Johnson of the Angles. 6-4 was the final. I put him back on a plain the next day back to Florida.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

After Papi drove in Damon in the 14th in Game 5, as the crowd was going berserk, I got up and quickly vacated my seat in the CF bleachers to get out of the park (my friend who had brought me to the game had been MIA since the 8th.)   As one of the few people down there while everyone celebrated ... running through the concourses of Fenway from the bleachers to that main gate by home plate and slapping 5 to everyone I encountered was pretty amazing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

when I was a kid in the 60's, I remember George Scott hitting thw winning home-run in extra innings, I can not for the life of me remember against who though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustNo1. Show TrustNo1's posts

My favorite Redsox memory, well, here it goes...While sitting behind home plate 10 rows or so up, I got to witness the greatest collapse in MLB history. The date, October 2, 1978, and Bucky Dent Blasts a monster shot, and the NY Yankees make up the 14.5 games the Redsox were up by in August and lost it on that fantastic October day, thus making it, the Biggest Collapse in MLB history, to be up by 14.5 games with a month to go, and they lose!!! Bwaahhhh!!!  Yep, that was my very favorite Redsox memory.Cool There were hundreds of Redsox fans lining up on Tobins Bridge that day! Hahaha!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Straw65. Show J-Straw65's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    [QUOTE]My favorite Redsox memory, well, here it goes...While sitting behind home plate 10 rows or so up, I got to witness the greatest collapse in MLB history. The date, October 2, 1978, and Bucky Dent Blasts a monster shot, and the NY Yankees make up the 14.5 games the Redsox were up by in August and lost it on that fantastic October day, thus making it, the Biggest Collapse in MLB history, to be up by 14.5 games with a month to go, and they lose!!! Bwaahhhh!!!  Yep, that was my very favorite Redsox memory.  There were hundreds of Redsox fans lining up on Tobins Bridge that day! Hahaha!
    Posted by TrustNo1[/QUOTE]

Lost on this silly Yank-me(who clearly doesn't actually remember 1978) is that the Yanks actually overtook the Sox in mid-September and were alone in first place by a margin with eight to play.  The Sox then went 8-0 to finish the season, with the Yanks losing their last game.  So the Sox actually forced the playoff. 

As for the "biggest collapse in MLB history"...all I can say to that in words you would understand is..."Bwaaaahhhh-haaa-haaaaahhhh!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Straw65. Show J-Straw65's posts

Just a very personal memory.  1976 in August.  I was 10, my oldest brother Jim was playing for Chatham in the Cape Cod collegiate league.  Tagging along with my brother and his teammate Jim Tracy (yes, THE Jim Tracy, you could look it up) and another teammate the four of us drove up to Fenway and took in the Sox against the Angels.  Yaz was my hero - and he hit two opposite field doubles down the line that day - along with Fisk, Lynn, Rice, Petrocelli and the rest.  It was about 100 degrees in the right field stands.  Got to know Jim Tracy.  Spent a splendid day in the company of my idols, all around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

clemens 2000 strikeout belive it was 88

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schaaff. Show Schaaff's posts

i don't quite remember the year, but it was when Tony Pena was the starting catcher. My dad took me to Cleveland to watch a game at the old stadium. After the game was over I was waiting with the crowd out by the buses in hopes to get autographs. I was wearing the old plastic batting helmets when, I heard someone say excuse me. Well being 11 or 12 all I cared about was getting the autographs. I was then hit on the head by Tony Pena and his rolled up newspaper so I could move out of his way and he could get on the bus. Thanks for memory Tony.

Also when I was like 5 or 6, my dad got us press passes and I got my picture taken with Clemens, Barrett, Evans, Gedman, Seaver, and my idol Boggs and Jim Rice with a pissed off look in the background.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

2004, forgot about it? Response to Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    [QUOTE]My favorite Redsox memory, well, here it goes...While sitting behind home plate 10 rows or so up, I got to witness the greatest collapse in MLB history. The date, October 2, 1978, and Bucky Dent Blasts a monster shot, and the NY Yankees make up the 14.5 games the Redsox were up by in August and lost it on that fantastic October day, thus making it, the Biggest Collapse in MLB history, to be up by 14.5 games with a month to go, and they lose!!! Bwaahhhh!!!  Yep, that was my very favorite Redsox memory.  There were hundreds of Redsox fans lining up on Tobins Bridge that day! Hahaha!
    Posted by TrustNo1[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Most won't remember this, but in 1965 Charlie Finley, the showman owner of the A's signed Satchel Paige to a short contract. Finley was always looking for an odd way to promote his team. Paige pitched three innings against the Sox to start the game, and only allowed a few hits in the first inning. He retired the last six in the second and third innings. Finley provided Paige a rocking chair to sit in between innings if memory serves me right. Paige was a young 59 years of age. I wasn't at Fenway, and wish I was, but it was on the tube.

Hetchinspete.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: What is your favorite Sox memory from a ballgame (in your lifetime),?:
    [QUOTE]I absolutely agree that 2004 is my favorite memory.  However, in 1961, the Red Sox were losing 12 to 5 to Washington Senators with two outs in the ninth inning at Fenway.  They rallied to score eight runs and win the game in the bottom of the ninth.  I still remember this game as it was on TV on a Sunday afternoon.  Pete Runnells, Jim Pagliaroni and Gary Geiger were on this team.  I think Willie Tasby was a contributor in the nonth.
    Posted by johnaddar1[/QUOTE]

John,

You sound about my age. You remember the Summer of 1962 when Lou Clinton, a light hitting kid who had spent a few seasons with the Sox suddenly starting got hot for a number of months and was sort of the talk of Red Sox Nation. Also Arnold Early's complete game. 

Hetchinspete.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

8 years old at Yaz's last game. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from richor01. Show richor01's posts

My son's first ever game at Fenway, home opening weekend, 2005..... A few days after the ring ceremony, after the Yankees left town. It was a Saturday afternoon game against Tampa Bay. The only part of the game I remember was Edgar Renteria hitting a game winning home run, and the Sox winning 3-1... The great memory was anticipating my son's reaction to seeing Fenway and the Sox live for the first time. He was 14, and very excited. As we entered the main gate on Yawkey Way, I remember stopping him just before we went up the runway behind home plate. I wanted to watch his reaction. I told him that what he was about to see was something he'd remember for the rest of his life. As we came out of the dark tunnel, he saw the green monster in bright sunlight. The Sox were taking batting practice, and the first player he spotted was Manny. Then Johnny Damon. His face slowly broke into the biggest grin I've ever seen, and his eyes opened as wide as saucers... The look on that face is something I'll never forget. I got a little emotional.... Seems like it was yesterday. That will always be my fondest memory of a ballgame.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

Thanks for this memory. It reminded when I took my son to this first game at Fenway, in 2007.  We took the Amtrak from New Jersey, rolled along the coast , he took in those sites, the boats, the water, and all the way we talked about the game, Who's Who in Baseball,. Arriving in Boston we headed to the HoJo's where we stayed.
    We walked to the park that night for the game, my current favorite J. Lester was pitching.
    When we walked down Yawkey Way and into the stadium, when my son saw the field, he poked me and said, "Dad, there is the Monster, this is Fenway". The emotion on his face, the elevated excitement in his voice told me, this was a very special moment for us. My team had now become his team. 
    We walked to our bleacher seats, bought on-line for $45 each, and settled in to watch the workouts.
    My son, did the usual, "Dad, there is Paps, look Papi is coming into the cage, there is Youk, how come he shaves his head?"
    During the game we did the Sweet Caroline, swaying with our fellow Sox fans, my son was fully immersed in Sox tradition.
    Game over, Sox won, we walked back to HoJo's.  We turned on the late Sports news, about 2am we decided it was time to call it a day. I watched him fall asleep and smiled. This day, to see my team,  and now his team, had provided me with one of the most cherised things a father can have, a bonding experience with his son, deep on so many emotional levels; one grown man, seeing his son a few years from becoming a young man, but this night, he was on his way with a boost from all things Red Sox.
    The Sox as an institution laid out that Emerald Green carpet and we were swept away, joining the generational tide that grows from one generation to the next.
    Thank You, Red Sox, Mr. Henry, the players.

[QUOTE]My son's first ever game at Fenway, home opening weekend, 2005..... A few days after the ring ceremony, after the Yankees left town. It was a Saturday afternoon game against Tampa Bay. The only part of the game I remember was Edgar Renteria hitting a game winning home run, and the Sox winning 3-1... The great memory was anticipating my son's reaction to seeing Fenway and the Sox live for the first time. He was 14, and very excited. As we entered the main gate on Yawkey Way, I remember stopping him just before we went up the runway behind home plate. I wanted to watch his reaction. I told him that what he was about to see was something he'd remember for the rest of his life. As we came out of the dark tunnel, he saw the green monster in bright sunlight. The Sox were taking batting practice, and the first player he spotted was Manny. Then Johnny Damon. His face slowly broke into the biggest grin I've ever seen, and his eyes opened as wide as saucers... The look on that face is something I'll never forget. I got a little emotional.... Seems like it was yesterday. That will always be my fondest memory of a ballgame.
    Posted by richor01[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I was a little kid, maybe 8, sitting in the right field bleachers,with my dad, when two guys hit balls over my head in the same game...one was Mickey Mantle and the other was Teddy Ballgame...it was 1953.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

I have a few from when I was a kid, but; my favorite was on Memorial Day 2005. I got to take my 13 year old son to his 1st game at Fenway.Doesnt sound like much, right? Well, we live in Sweden now, so; it was quiote the trip. We got to do the Fenway toue in the morning and a night game against the O's ( which we lost badley 8-0) Still a very memorable day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarafern. Show sarafern's posts

Attending a game at Fenway in Aug, 1977 with my parents. Driving back to New Bedford that night, learning than Elvis had died that day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

On TV:game 4 of the 2004 world series

In person: October 1, 1983. I cried when Yaz cried

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]On TV:game 4 of the 2004 world series In person: October 1, 1983. I cried when Yaz cried
    Posted by WCPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Watched Yaz all through the mid 60's to the end. He went from being the untested  guy to take Teddy's spot in LF, to his own man.   He was a grinder, seeing those wrists taped toward the end, he competed every inning, every pitch, every game. His spot in the Hall of Fame speaks to not only his skill set, but his leadership ability to inspire others. 1967 was a team effort, but that fire was lit by Yaz and nurtured by his teammates. The summer of 1967 was baseball magic.
    I too sensed a passing of time, when Yaz said goodbye to the baseball diamond. It was the end of a degree of certainty, seeing him on the field and knowing this man brought his A-game , each and every day.  He was someone you could count on to try his damnest and deliver in spectacular fashion at times. The anticipation of that event was awesome. He got the utmost from his talents, squeezing out every bit of muscle he could.
    Thanks , Yaz

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

Last game of the '04 Series, when I realized they'd swept it & the world had changed.  All the memories of past moments came rushing through my mind, as if the Babe had finally said,"I have lifted the curse!"  The last memory before hitting the rack that night - Game 6 of the '75 Series that we all know so well - Fisk smashing the ball, then bouncing down the 1st base line throwing his hands rightward, willing that ball fair.  Then clapping his hands as he careened around the bases.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

well, i have to say, i'm going to come back and enjoy these moments reading this thread again. its late, and i'm readin fast (as its very late) and having a grin from ear to ear like the little kids you describe (yourself or your children) in your stories and with a heart burgeoning with emotion, remembering the same moments if i was old enough, feeling as if i am living the moments described that i'm not old enough to have been around for.

many described, that i have been around for, are on my list.
    (the dave roberts steal has to be up there).

my number one is the 75 series.
    i'm in like 3rd grade.
    no dad around, parents divorced.
    no adult figures really.
    it's a school night. and if you were around, you know the games went late for a 8-10 year old.
    i remember willing myself to stay awake. eyelids being held up by toothpicks,
    heart all awash in emotion watching my favorite players till this day, number one
    luis tiant.

i just started a thread about who are several of your favorite red sox players. would love to hear your stories there and i look forward to coming back here and sharing in response to the particular stories you wrote.

ps there a facebook page to get el tiante in the hall of fame (better numbers than catfish hunter).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=92817991640

and a movie made about el tiante that won a bunch of awards

http://www.luistiant.com/biography/

peace

thanks for all the warmth everyone...

i'm grateful to know there are still people around with access to their heart.

Sections
Shortcuts